Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of people in the last 30 pages of stuff mentioned that they were streaming to the C6500, but giving no details as to what they were streaming from. I can stream from Win XP using Samsung's AllShare program, but I intend to get a NAS. Has anyone successfully used a NAS to feed their Sammy? If so, what models are you using? I'm looking at the Synology NAS units, which are DLNA compliant, so it should work, but I'm not sure from some comments that the C6500 is 100% DLNA compliant (otherwise, why do we HAVE to use AllShare?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchi View Post

Audio Problems.

When I hook to the analog stereo output and run it to my monitors (amp inside no volume control) this works fine for blu ray DVD and for media playing from a hard drive. But when I try to stream netflix, youtube or any other internet app all I get is full blast with no volume control whatsoever. I have tried every setting available. Is this a bug? If so can anyone suggest a different player that this will work? Useless to me if I can't control the volume. I also tried output of tv and it does the same thing.

Perhaps I am mistaken about the DVD; now I can't control the volume with that either. Am I missing something or does this have a design flaw of leaving out volume control? My 90's tube tv had that.
post #903 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchi View Post

Perhaps I am mistaken about the DVD; now I can't control the volume with that either. Am I missing something or does this have a design flaw of leaving out volume control? My 90's tube tv had that.

Volume is a function of the TV or Receiver not the player

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #904 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 AM

It seems several of us have been having issues with our Netflix app after updating to the latest firmware a couple of weeks ago. My issue deals with audio--ever since updating, my audio does not work when I retrieve a netflix title to watch. However, if I turn the player off and back on, it works fine. This never happened before updating, and it has happened every time since.

Great update, Samsung.
post #905 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Well, after reading all the good and bad, I picked one up for $139. I have 30 days to return it and hope I don't have to. I really just want a decent player for DVDs and netflix. I have found the reviews a bit discouraging, but I've seen this before and had good results ........ who knows !!
post #906 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
No, won't play PAL DVD on NTSC tv, gives an error message like unsupported disc or something. Annoying cuz I already got rid of my old DVD player before I figured that one out.
Thanks for the info. Now I have to decide if it's worth buying this player and keeping my LG as a PAL player. Did you keep your 6500?
post #907 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post
Volume is a function of the TV or Receiver not the player
IMO it is a design error not to provide v-control of the analog outputs. All it would have taken is a simple passive network.
I have no receiver. The TV, a new Samsung, also does the same thing, no volume control of analog outs. As I said, this was standard design for older tv's and it is a sign of cheap design not to have it.
post #908 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM

I got this and am extremely pleased with it, can't believe there are so many negative reviews of this player. I had the thing going is about 10 minutes which includes hooking up analog to receiver and setting wi-fi, my netgear router has a WPS button on it that you press and it sends all of the information to the player, I stream from a Windows Vista HP desktop and that has been flawless. Have played audio and video so far.
post #909 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, why would you be using the analog audio outputs with a newer Samsung TV?
post #910 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plm999 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you be using the analog audio outputs with a newer Samsung TV?
To directly drive powered monitors that sound about 10 times better than a passive speaker setup with a receiver.
post #911 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM

So I got the unit, did the intro menu, of course it wouldn't work with my wireless so I hooked it to my wired connection, and I downloaded the firmware update.

I went from 0-100% about 4 times. Then it said the update failed.

OK, I am a problem solver I go to download the update online to my USB. It took about an hour to get to 30% then said the server timed out and stopped.

OK, no big deal. So I connect it to the internet and download Netflix, great netflix works. Then I tried Blockbuster- just sat there for about 15 minutes watching the circle go around, never loaded up.

Ok, no problem. I decided to try a blu-ray, didn't work, dsaid it couldn't read the disc. Then I tried another Blu-Ray, then another same thing. Then I tried a DVD, same thing.

So, the only thing that seemed to work was the Netflix.

So I'll wait and try the USB download again. Anyone experience something like this?

**** Update, I tried to download the update again, and it worked. Did the USB. All of the online services work, but still will not load a Blu Ray or DVD. Any ideas before I take it back?
post #912 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Anyone???
post #913 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Since my Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V receiver has only 1 optical digital and 1 coaxial digital input, I run the HDMI to my TV and use the optical digital output from that to the receiver. The TV only outputs 5.1 when its internal tuner is in use, not from the HDMI inputs :-(, so I picked PCM. If either had a coaxial output I would have more options.

Xantech makes a great $20 solution to that problem called the Xantech CPLTCX. It is used to convert Optical to coax. I have used these as an installer/integrator and had no problems
post #914 of 1625 Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmith View Post

So I got the unit, did the intro menu, of course it wouldn't work with my wireless so I hooked it to my wired connection, and I downloaded the firmware update.

I went from 0-100% about 4 times. Then it said the update failed.

OK, I am a problem solver I go to download the update online to my USB. It took about an hour to get to 30% then said the server timed out and stopped.

OK, no big deal. So I connect it to the internet and download Netflix, great netflix works. Then I tried Blockbuster- just sat there for about 15 minutes watching the circle go around, never loaded up.

Ok, no problem. I decided to try a blu-ray, didn't work, dsaid it couldn't read the disc. Then I tried another Blu-Ray, then another same thing. Then I tried a DVD, same thing.

So, the only thing that seemed to work was the Netflix.

So I'll wait and try the USB download again. Anyone experience something like this?

**** Update, I tried to download the update again, and it worked. Did the USB. All of the online services work, but still will not load a Blu Ray or DVD. Any ideas before I take it back?

I would just take it back. It sounds defective and I wouldn't want to play around with it since it's brand new. When I got mine everything worked just fine.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #915 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Wanted to point out that the Netflix issue with the 1018 and 1019 firmware (where Netflix 4:3 SD content is being stretched to 16:9 and other widescreen aspect ratios are being distorted) has been acknowledged and is being worked. As I expected, this will most likely be addressed as part of another firmware release.

You can read the CNET thread here:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7574_102...g=nl.rCOMBINED
post #916 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM

I bought this player a few weeks ago and have had some problems with the Netflix application. On several occasions, especially during peak hours, the player rebuffers which can take up to a minute or two. Other times I receive an error message saying it can't connect to the server. I have a strong wifi connection (Comcast Broadband) and I've been using Netflix on my Xbox for over a year and have never run into this issue. When the signal drops on the Xbox live, the quality decreases however the picture does not cut out and rebuffer like it does on the C6500. I also upgraded to the latest firmware 1019. I was wondering if people have had a similar experience and if this a common issue with the Samsung. Everything else seems to work great. I'm debating returning this and exchanging for a PS3 so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
post #917 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM

I was impressed when I watched a blu ray movie - very nice. But I was more impressed when I watched a SD movie - wow! Almost as good (not quite) as the blu ray movie. Very good.
However (isn't there always a "gotcha"), it skipped a couple of random times during playback.
post #918 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM

I bought this player and sent it back the same day. I couldn't get any of my videos to work off my computer through DLNA. I use Nero for my TV. I tried using Nero on the player. I would see the file, but wouldn't play it. Said the format was wrong. I tried MKV and AVI and nothing. Also wireless and wired wouldn't work. Had to upgrade the firmware using a USB. Everytime I turned the player off I had to reconnect to the net with this thing using WIRED. Also, I tried 2 different blu rays and it literally took 5 minutes to load each blu ray. I knew this thing was slow before I bought it....but DANG! I'll be looking for the LG BD570. I know my Nero will work with that because LG loves Nero.
post #919 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I would just take it back. It sounds defective and I wouldn't want to play around with it since it's brand new. When I got mine everything worked just fine.

Ghpr13

I did and the new one works.
post #920 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Amazon has it on sale now for $119.00, just ordered with a step down transformer to convert 220v > 110v. Scheduled for delivery to New York in mid-Dec, can't wait to pick it up.
post #921 of 1625 Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 PM

First time posting.

Ok, So I bought this model to replace my samsung ht320 dvd surround sound . I'm not that much of an av guy but after hours of researching I still cannot conclude if what I want to do is possible. For the meantime I kept my samsung ht hooked up the way it was except that I removed the hdmi cable and hooked it to the bd 6500 for video to my t.v. and took an optical cable that was hooked up from my HT system to my comcast cable box and hooked it from my bd 6500 to the HT system so I could get sound. Well everything works as it should, except that I want to remove the HT dvd player where all speakers are connected with samsungs proprietary connectors and hook the speakers to the bd 6500 thru the 7.1 analog output connections. Is it possible to cut the proprietary connectors off of the speaker wires and connect rca male ends to them somehow? Do the bd 6500 analog output connections take regular male rca plugs? I need help!
post #922 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity09 View Post

First time posting.

Ok, So I bought this model to replace my samsung ht320 dvd surround sound . I'm not that much of an av guy but after hours of researching I still cannot conclude if what I want to do is possible. For the meantime I kept my samsung ht hooked up the way it was except that I removed the hdmi cable and hooked it to the bd 6500 for video to my t.v. and took an optical cable that was hooked up from my HT system to my comcast cable box and hooked it from my bd 6500 to the HT system so I could get sound. Well everything works as it should, except that I want to remove the HT dvd player where all speakers are connected with samsungs proprietary connectors and hook the speakers to the bd 6500 thru the 7.1 analog output connections. Is it possible to cut the proprietary connectors off of the speaker wires and connect rca male ends to them somehow? Do the bd 6500 analog output connections take regular male rca plugs? I need help!

I would assume that the samsung HT system has an amplifier and so provides amplified speaker level outputs. The 6500 will only provide line level outputs and needs to be amplified before going to the speakers.
post #923 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmith View Post

I did and the new one works.

Masmith,
I'm glad for you. The C6500 is a pretty good BD player considering the cost. I purchased mine after reading a lot of reviews on it and other BD players in it's price range. The one thing that was common on all the reviews was that the C6500 had great PQ compares to the others. For me, the PQ is at the top of the list, so that's why I went with it. So far I'm please with it's performance.
Wish you the best with yours.

Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #924 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless999 View Post

Amazon has it on sale now for $119.00, just ordered with a step down transformer to convert 220v > 110v. Scheduled for delivery to New York in mid-Dec, can't wait to pick it up.

If you're in NY why would you need a transformer to convert 220v > 110v?

Every Blue Ray player i read about has had some type of problem from play back to wireless streaming trouble. Lets face it the electronics in these players really don't change much from manufacture to manufacture. Sony, Samsung, Vizo and so on, all guts are pretty much the same. I bet not one of these companys makes these players just sticks their name on them from a third party. Like Windows vs Mac i guess the big difference come in the software each player uses. Has onyone used this player with FIOS Verizon routers?
post #925 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Got mine all set up, wireless, netflix, etc. DVDs look awesome and the Netflix stream is very good. I'm thinking it would be wise for me NOT to take any upgrades until the bugs on the latest are fixed and the dust settles. What say you
post #926 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping View Post

A lot of people in the last 30 pages of stuff mentioned that they were streaming to the C6500, but giving no details as to what they were streaming from. I can stream from Win XP using Samsung's AllShare program, but I intend to get a NAS. Has anyone successfully used a NAS to feed their Sammy? If so, what models are you using? I'm looking at the Synology NAS units, which are DLNA compliant, so it should work, but I'm not sure from some comments that the C6500 is 100% DLNA compliant (otherwise, why do we HAVE to use AllShare?)

Anyone?
post #927 of 1625 Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

I suspect that there are enough ambiguities in the DLNA spec that only trial and error will answer all of your questions. Some servers that you might expect to work (e.g. Tversity) certainly don't, but AllShare isn't the only one which does (both EyeConnect and iSedora on my Mac work pretty well but not perfectly).

Bob
post #928 of 1625 Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post
I suspect that there are enough ambiguities in the DLNA spec that only trial and error will answer all of your questions. Some servers that you might expect to work (e.g. Tversity) certainly don't, but AllShare isn't the only one which does (both EyeConnect and iSedora on my Mac work pretty well but not perfectly).
Thanks rdn, it's pretty much what I've suspected... However, "trial & error" is a rather potentially expensive avenue if what you buy first doesn't work...

Does anyone know if Mezzmo works with the C6500? If worse comes to worst (my chosen NAS can't work with the C6500), I could use that program's ability to stream from a NAS to the C6500.
post #929 of 1625 Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM

I have a picasa account. I have the app on the 6500. How do I activate the app to get pics through the dang thing
post #930 of 1625 Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomobux View Post

I have a picasa account. I have the app on the 6500. How do I activate the app to get pics through the dang thing

First you have to have a login for the apps (independent of picassa or other app login). This is the "red" button for login.

Second, in "settings" in Internet@ you can configure each individual app, like picassa or netflix or facebook. There you enter your login information for that app (xxxx@gmail.com plus password).

Should work fine from there, but remember to "Login" with the red button before attempting to get on Facebook or picassa.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page