Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1625 Old 12-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Moody View Post

I'm not sure if you might be addressing the problem I have --but after installing the player, 1019 ver immediately D/L and installed. Now my "Default" Screen stretches beyond the borders of my 52" Sammy 16X9 TV, both top,bottom and sides. The A,B,C and D buttons are out of sight. I tried changing aspect on TV and Receiver as well Player set-up. No cigar What is your source that another firmware might fix? Thanks.

I fixed my own problem. If anyone has similar Hardware try this: On both the Sammy TV and BD-C6500 player, set "any-net+"(HDMI-CEC) to, "OFF". Next, set Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver input/output assign to, "Through". Finally on the receiver, set Picture Adjust Wide Mode(aspect ratio) to, "Auto". So far it works and no additional issues created as a result of the changes made.

Hokie56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 01:36 AM

I wanted to get other people's opinion and experience on their Netflix picture quality when upgrading from a very early firmware to the latest on the 6500. Again, my previous firmware was one of the earliest ones. I only updated it once as I was afraid Samsung (actually seems to be Netflix's fault) would screw up the picture quality that I was very happy with.

Sure enough, in the hope of combating the many bugs I previously put up with because I was happy with the picture quality I made the horrible mistake of upgrading to the latest firmware and now my 6500 is almost worthless when it comes to Netflix.

What I am seeing is zoomed in video, distorted video, and low bandwidth quality that I never had before. As an example, while watching True Lies the video is obviously zoomed in, squeezed so as to make people look skinnier than normal, and has low bandwidth quality that is approaching the quality of a crappy Youtube video, even on movies that do not appear to be as stretched as True Lies. It's an absolute mess.

I read through the more recent postings and comments to do with 4:3 being stretched and I also confirmed that now my 4:3 viewing is also ruined. I would appreciate any comments and advice related, and more specifically if anyone knows if it is possible to go back to a previous firmware and how.

It's unbelievable that Netflix would release an upgraded interface that essentially ruins picture quality.
post #993 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi96 View Post

I wanted to get other people's opinion and experience on their Netflix picture quality when upgrading from a very early firmware to the latest on the 6500. Again, my previous firmware was one of the earliest ones. I only updated it once as I was afraid Samsung (actually seems to be Netflix's fault) would screw up the picture quality that I was very happy with.

Sure enough, in the hope of combating the many bugs I previously put up with because I was happy with the picture quality I made the horrible mistake of upgrading to the latest firmware and now my 6500 is almost worthless when it comes to Netflix.

What I am seeing is zoomed in video, distorted video, and low bandwidth quality that I never had before. As an example, while watching True Lies the video is obviously zoomed in, squeezed so as to make people look skinnier than normal, and has low bandwidth quality that is approaching the quality of a crappy Youtube video, even on movies that do not appear to be as stretched as True Lies. It's an absolute mess.

I read through the more recent postings and comments to do with 4:3 being stretched and I also confirmed that now my 4:3 viewing is also ruined. I would appreciate any comments and advice related, and more specifically if anyone knows if it is possible to go back to a previous firmware and how.

It's unbelievable that Netflix would release an upgraded interface that essentially ruins picture quality.

Read back in the thread. It's not a Netflix problem. The updated Netflix client worked fine when released with older firmware. The problem was when Samsung updated the firmware to 1018 and 1019. The updates to firmware caused the aspect ratio issues which were not there with the exact same Netflix bits. I also do not have this issue when watching Netflix on my XBOX, Wii, Sony HDTV, or mobile phone.
post #994 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

this player could use a justin tv app. HOw do you get hulu to work, ans what is this lock stuff in the apps manager
post #995 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi96 View Post

I was contacted by David, an American from "Executive Customer Service" and pretty much begged him for the old firmware. He said he would look into it, but that was almost a week ago. If you stick to the admittedly limited selection of HD titles you get the correct aspect ratio and decent PQ. If you have a hard time believing that Samsung would release untested firmware updates then you must be a Samsung newbie.
post #996 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Read back in the thread. It's not a Netflix problem. The updated Netflix client worked fine when released with older firmware. The problem was when Samsung updated the firmware to 1018 and 1019. The updates to firmware caused the aspect ratio issues which were not there with the exact same Netflix bits. I also do not have this issue when watching Netflix on my XBOX, Wii, Sony HDTV, or mobile phone.

While it may have been caused by Samsung it's a Netflix problem to the extent that it only affects their app. Blu-Ray and DVD function is fine.
They should have taken responsibility by informing customers of the problem, which would have prevented people from upgrading to this nightmare of a so-called upgrade. That would not have been too much to ask. After all, they certainly know the type of player you are using. Not doing that is simply irresponsible and inconsiderate.

The zooming in and distorting also doesn't explain the lower bandwidth picture quality I am now getting. Considering that Netflix is always sending me e-mail asking about picture quality it wouldn't surprise me at all that they have reduced the image quality to keep up with new customers. While I have enjoyed my Netflix service it is quickly becoming apparent that they are becoming just like the many other big arrogant companies that have poor customer service and rapidly decreasing quality as they grow, like Samsung.
post #997 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I was contacted by David, an American from "Executive Customer Service" and pretty much begged him for the old firmware. He said he would look into it, but that was almost a week ago. If you stick to the admittedly limited selection of HD titles you get the correct aspect ratio and decent PQ.

With my original firmware my internet speed was perfect for SD movies and I never had a problem with picture quality. Now with this new firmware I not only have a zooming in and distorting problem but it is also now quite apparent that picture quality was reduced. Sometimes, for moments, it is somewhat close to my previous picture quality but in most cases it is obviously worse and sometimes so bad that it seems like I'm watching a poor quality Youtube video. My internet connection was never fast enough for HD.

Quote:

If you have a hard time believing that Samsung would release untested firmware updates then you must be a Samsung newbie.

I said Netflix, not Samsung. This is my second Samsung Blu-Ray player and I have always been happy with the Blu-Ray picture quality, despite the many bugs. It also didn't take me long to realize that Samsung, while competent in hardware manufacturing, is hopeless when it comes to software, or in this case firmware.

This will likely be my last Samsung product. Thanks for the info on the firmware. It's pretty pathetic that a manufacturer doesn't make it easy or at all possible to downgrade to a previous firmware. Arrogant @#%holes.
post #998 of 1625 Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Just asking again if anyone knows if it is possible?
post #999 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Hey everyone, i got a good response back after replying to a customer service report on movies stuttering etc. That their respinse wasnt good enough and were in the process of losing good customers. I told them their reset fix was bs because movies on both of my bdc6500 were cutting out, freezing, etc off and on. They said it will be part of the next firmware update. Please continue to email and chat that the latest firmware is causing movie problems, and throw the reset bs flag. The more emails and chats they get the quicker it gets fixed.
post #1000 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Hey all...

So I've got this player on its way and it may even arrive today. I've read this thread in its entirety (phwew!) and have a few questions. Apologies if any of these have been answered - it was a loooong thread.

1. Sounds like the latest firmware has some pretty severe problems with Netflix streaming. Is EVERYONE having the aspect ratio and/or pic quality problems, or just a subset? I'll be using a wired connection to a 12mbit Internet connection, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

2. Anyone know the currently installed firmware version on new units? Does it force a firmware upgrade upon initial setup, or is it a choice?

3. For DLNA, is the general consensus that Serviio is the best server?

4. I've got an older 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver without HDMI or 7.1 analog inputs, so I'll be using optical. What's the best sound setting for this setup? PCM? Bitstream?

Thanks for any advice...

Adam
post #1001 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpione View Post

Hey all...

So I've got this player on its way and it may even arrive today. I've read this thread in its entirety (phwew!) and have a few questions. Apologies if any of these have been answered - it was a loooong thread.

1. Sounds like the latest firmware has some pretty severe problems with Netflix streaming. Is EVERYONE having the aspect ratio and/or pic quality problems, or just a subset? I'll be using a wired connection to a 12mbit Internet connection, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

2. Anyone know the currently installed firmware version on new units? Does it force a firmware upgrade upon initial setup, or is it a choice?

4. I've got an older 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver without HDMI or 7.1 analog inputs, so I'll be using optical. What's the best sound setting for this setup? PCM? Bitstream?

Thanks for any advice...

Adam

I just picked up a second one @ $128 for the shop. The store here has run out of stock a few times, so I think it's a fairly new build. Has the 1016 and prompts for a update. I will not do it until things sort out. Just nav out of the update.
post #1002 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

There might be a firmware update coming. My player is trying to update itself, but I'm getting the "model number information does not match..." error message that I get a day or two before an update comes through. Powering down the player allowed me to use it in the interim.
post #1003 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpione View Post

Hey all...

Thanks for any advice...

Adam

Does your receiver do DTS, because this player down rezes all HD Audio to DTS via the optical out.
post #1004 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Does your receiver do DTS, because this player down rezes all HD Audio to DTS via the optical out.

Yep. Sure does. If that's the case, does it even matter what I select in the settings for sound?

Thanks..

Adam
post #1005 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Anyone get a mandatory software upgrade required message while trying to access netflix and then get the following error?
"Model information in upgrade does not match with your player. Please check and retry."
post #1006 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzvelik View Post

Anyone get a mandatory software upgrade required message while trying to access netflix and then get the following error?
"Model information in upgrade does not match with your player. Please check and retry."

Quote:

There might be a firmware update coming. My player is trying to update itself, but I'm getting the "model number information does not match..." error message that I get a day or two before an update comes through. Powering down the player allowed me to use it in the interim.

yes, thats because basically you upgraded the wrong firmware

* you downloaded the version for another model, there are like 2 or 3 different models of this bluray ...

so, to fix that, you need to download(thought your computer, and use a USB pendrive to update the bluray) the latest firmware for your model, so, look behind the device for the number ... its like XAA or AXA ... something like that
post #1007 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM

NAS front update: I'm streaming using my new Synology DS 111, and so far, things work very smoothly. The 6500 "saw" the NAS right away, and I've shown a few slide shows, and played a few music playlists w/o any issues. It's also much faster (responsive) than the Allshare crapware Samsung forces you to install for Win XP. The HDD in the NAS is a WD Caviar Black 1 TB unit.

Note that I have not yet tried movies, but the Synology DSM 3.0 seems to support quite a few formats.
post #1008 of 1625 Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzvelik View Post

Same thing happened to me too today. Samsung screwed something up....
post #1009 of 1625 Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

I have received that message a few times over the past several months. The last time, I downloaded the update to a USB drive and was able to install it that way.

Bob
post #1010 of 1625 Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

So I've been searching on here for a little over an hour. I haven't really seen anything describing my issue so here I am. When my samsung BD 6500 is on...the screen flickers. Now at first I thought it was just while I played a DVD or BD but it flickers with just having it on any screen.

Anybody have similar issues? How was it solved? Despite some of the reviews of updating the software I just did it tonight and it still flickers.

Thanks in advance.
post #1011 of 1625 Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM

It flickers when it changes resolution. For some reason it starts in 480, then flickers to an hd resolutiin, then once more if your running 24fps.
post #1012 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM

is their a way to fix that? my buddy has a 5900 3D BD and he said it doesn't do it at all....Should I turn off the 24fps...I believe there's an option to do this....it's pretty annoying when watching a movie....Do you think there is a defect....Do I have to take this thing back?
post #1013 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyburz View Post

It flickers when it changes resolution. For some reason it starts in 480, then flickers to an hd resolutiin, then once more if your running 24fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600DT View Post

is their a way to fix that? my buddy has a 5900 3D BD and he said it doesn't do it at all....Should I turn off the 24fps...I believe there's an option to do this....it's pretty annoying when watching a movie....Do you think there is a defect....Do I have to take this thing back?

Think you guys are talking two different things. Willyburz is correct, but this only happens once for each change over maybe a 5 second period. You seem to be saying yours flickers fulltime which is not normal. /Dan
post #1014 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Yes you should use 24fps, it is a correct and more natural way to watch the movie. When you fire up the blu ray itll show samsung screen, then flicker to hd. Then when you watch a movie it will flicker into 24fps mode. Im surprised that they havent tweaked the firmware so it boots up to the resolution youve set, but thats a minor cbomplaint.
post #1015 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post
Think you guys are talking two different things. Willyburz is correct, but this only happens once for each change over maybe a 5 second period. You seem to be saying yours flickers fulltime which is not normal. /Dan
Yeah it definitly flickers more than just once or twice over the change over. It does it throughout movies etc... I have it hooked up via HDMI into my Denon AVR 1910....would that have anything to do with it? I think I will hook it up directly to the TV to see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know.

If that doesn't work....you are confirming that it's not normal and I should take it back??
post #1016 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Im sure you already did this....but make sure in the blu ray settings menu you also have the resolution matching your tv instead of auto. If and i say if, your tv doesnt support 24fps on it, that could cause a problem im thinking as well.
post #1017 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I just ordered one of these players ONLY because I wanted to stream Netflix and stuff from my DNLA PC wirelessly (I already have a Pioneer 320, which is an excellent Blu-Ray player). But now I'm scanning this thread, and it appears that people are having lots of recent trouble with getting Netflix 4:3 stuff to display at the right aspect ratio, and lots of problems with music streaming. So I'm asking--if you had it to do over again, would you buy this player? If not, what other player would you recommend in a reasonably close price range?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1018 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM

I got tired of seeing Netflix distorted since most of my viewing was SD. Got a $128 LG 570 last week from Newegg. It is an excellent player also...without the 4:3 problems introduced by recent Samsung updates!
LG loads quickly. Has same wifi as the 6500. In fact, it syncs with my network faster and holds the settings. Sometimes with my 6500, I would have no network connections when I powered up via power strip. Would have to refresh the network settings inside Setup in order to watch the distorted Netflix.
Samsung 6500 is boxed up now, ready for Craigslist/Ebay.
post #1019 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 PM
rmf

I think the "no network connection" initially is when the 6500 is phoning home to Korea as it starts up. I used to go into settings to find that all network settings were correct. Ive learned to give it a minute before logging into Netflix and it seems to connect fine. FWIW, I got a new Arris box from Comcast for unrelated problems and the wireless signal seems much better.
post #1020 of 1625 Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Hi all, the Samsung player works great on Blu-ray or DVD sending 5.1 surround sound to my Pioneer receiver. However, when streaming from Netflix, the display says I'm receiving 5.1 but the surround left and right speakers are quiet. No sound at all. The front three and sub work find. Just no surround.

I tried to switch from PCM to Bitstream. Worked fine for Blu-ray and DVD but nothing from any speaker when streaming from Netflix.

Both Samsung and Pioneer have the latest firmware upgrades. I called Samsung and they blame Pioneer. Pioneer blames Samsung.

Any body else seen this? Any fixes or work around? Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page