Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------

Blu-ray Players

jonandabby's Avatar jonandabby
11:20 AM Liked: 10
post #91 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 165
Dumb question - If I have a bunch of movie files on an external hard drive attached to my XP driven computer, can I access those on this blu-ray? How does the PC Streaming function work?
Colonel Badger's Avatar Colonel Badger
11:30 AM Liked: 14
post #92 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 62
Thinking about getting one of these as my first Blu Ray player.

I've read a couple of reviews (on Amazon) that mention that the player is noisy when a disk is spinning. Can any body comment/compare to other players etc?

Anybody using this with the 7.1 analog outputs. I intend to use these to my Amplifier as I don't have DTS HD and Dolby HD decoding.

Also, has anybody connected it using component? I read somewhere that you need to connect using composite first and switch the player to component otherwise you'll get no picture initially. Can someone confirm?

mark.
rdn's Avatar rdn
04:03 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandabby View Post

Dumb question - If I have a bunch of movie files on an external hard drive attached to my XP driven computer, can I access those on this blu-ray? How does the PC Streaming function work?

Yes, you can access an external hard drive using a media server on the PC. I do this with a 500 GB external drive on my Mac using EyeConnect. I can even access shared files on my networked PC via the Mac this way. I have tried using Tversity on the PC (Windows 7) but the player gives me an error with those, which I haven't figured out yet.
Paul Logan's Avatar Paul Logan
04:20 PM Liked: 10
post #94 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 114
I have tried using eye connect with my imac and my itunes music files are playing great but the itunes movies will not play even after copying into a folder as suggested by eye connect . Photos work but not 100% of the time.....
any suggestions on movies and photos will be appreciated.....
MrTripps's Avatar MrTripps
07:08 PM Liked: 10
post #95 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 52
I've had a C6500 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm planning on returning it. The Blue Ray part works great, however the wireless NIC can't seem to stay connected. Every time I watch something streamed from my PC I get a "portable device disconnected" error. Not only that, but once that happens whatever you were watching can only be started from the beginning. Netflix is a bit more reliable, but it occasionally disconnects as well.

I purchased a new n class router (DIR-655) thinking that would help. After moving the router and the player around I can an 80-88% n signal that rates 39-52 Mbps. Still no go. As soon as I get into a movie: portable device disconnected.

The computer PC Share Manager (2.3) is running on is a fairly beefy i5 with 4 GB, Windows 7, and a 1 GB connection to the router, so I don't think that is the bottleneck.

The player says it has 1 GB of internal memory, but I can't tell a thing that it does with it. I would expect caching or something, but it doesn't seem to do that.

If you have a USB drive connected to your streaming PC it will not share files with the device. If you try to share a folder on a USB drive you get an error message that "only folder objects may be shared."

Overall, my impression of this device is that it isn't quite a solid finished product yet. Those thinking that they can have a HTPC experience with it (like I did) will be disappointed.
imaginereality's Avatar imaginereality
07:14 PM Liked: 10
post #96 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by subslug View Post

Could it possibly be MKV files with DTS audio causing the problem maybe?

MKV files with DTS audio play beautifully. It could be that the additional of a second track throws it off (I have an MKV with a secondary audio track in MP3 format, but I can't remember what it is at the moment), but I strongly suspect that it has to do with the secondary audio being OGG Vorbis, a codec the player does not support.

Frankly, I could care less if Samsung ever implements OGG support. I would like to have an update that causes the player to simply ignore any audio streams that it doesn't know what to do with instead of whatever it's currently doing that makes playback jittery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druber View Post

MakeMKV-made files from standard-def DVDs don't work. Zippo. It sure seems like it should work, but it's not listed as compatible in the user manual and it doesn't work in real life. I sent in a support message to Samsung. You should do the same if you want it to be supported.

I highly second this. I sent in a support message about the MKV issue with secondary OGG tracks, and I've also had an issue with BD Live on the Star Trek: TOS Season 2 discs. It's quite buggy and I'm unable to navigate through the menu when I finally get it to work.

I'm still happy with this player, however, and if Samsung can get some of these niggling issues ironed out, it'll just get even better.
rdn's Avatar rdn
07:25 PM Liked: 10
post #97 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

I've had a C6500 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm planning on returning it. The Blue Ray part works great, however the wireless NIC can't seem to stay connected. Every time I watch something streamed from my PC I get a "portable device disconnected" error. Not only that, but once that happens whatever you were watching can only be started from the beginning. Netflix is a bit more reliable, but it occasionally disconnects as well.

I purchased a new n class router (DIR-655) thinking that would help. After moving the router and the player around I can an 80-88% n signal that rates 39-52 Mbps. Still no go. As soon as I get into a movie: portable device disconnected.

The computer PC Share Manager (2.3) is running on is a fairly beefy i5 with 4 GB, Windows 7, and a 1 GB connection to the router, so I don't think that is the bottleneck.

The player says it has 1 GB of internal memory, but I can't tell a thing that it does with it. I would expect caching or something, but it doesn't seem to do that.

If you have a USB drive connected to your streaming PC it will not share files with the device. If you try to share a folder on a USB drive you get an error message that "only folder objects may be shared."

Overall, my impression of this device is that it isn't quite a solid finished product yet. Those thinking that they can have a HTPC experience with it (like I did) will be disappointed.

The 1 GB of internal memory is for BD Live. My C5500 has that greyed-out unless I plug in a USB thumb drive.

I agree with your impression, although it is new and will hopefully improve with firmware updates. I watched a Netflix movie today and it was flawless (hard wired to my router and Clear wireless modem).
Brad/Viper-Fan's Avatar Brad/Viper-Fan
08:07 PM Liked: 16
post #98 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

Thinking about getting one of these as my first Blu Ray player.

I've read a couple of reviews (on Amazon) that mention that the player is noisy when a disk is spinning. Can any body comment/compare to other players etc?
mark.

I don't hear any noise on mine.
imaginereality's Avatar imaginereality
08:32 PM Liked: 10
post #99 of 1625
03-08-2010 | Posts: 44
I've heard a little bit of a slight whine at times, but it's random and pretty rare.
Gooseboy's Avatar Gooseboy
12:40 AM Liked: 10
post #100 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 95
Does this thing play m2ts via usb?
MrTripps's Avatar MrTripps
07:44 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 52
I haven't noticed any unusual noise from the player.

I should also say that I picked up mine as an open box buy at Fry's. The flaky NIC may be why it had been returned.
SteveCaron's Avatar SteveCaron
09:28 AM Liked: 10
post #102 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 610
I cant seem to find out what kind of chip is used in this model for upconversion?
Ringfinger's Avatar Ringfinger
01:26 PM Liked: 10
post #103 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 319
Their support is a little off, they don't help at all, so I am here.

The Internet@tv, I was reading about this service at the Samsung website. They have little to no support on the topic. What is it? is it something you get an account for? Anyone with expereince using it? I have it on my home screen, but then the manual says something about setting up accounts, passwords and all that junk. Is that necessary? Tech support was no help. I accepted the license agreement, and then the 7 apps appeared as advertised. Now, if I want to add apps, do I need an account at Samsung? How is everyone doing this?

As far as audio, I have an Onkyo SR605 receiver. It is capable of most formats of audio decoding. I would connect it via HDMI to my Blue Ray Player. I have a question, I have the option on the player to output PCM or Bitstream, what do I choose? Which is best? I see you can further choose Bitsream Reencode where it coverts the PCM output to DTS or Bitsream Audiophile where it only outputs the main audio soundtrack and the receiver then does the conversion whereas on the PCM the player decodes primary and secondary to PCM audio. I am way confused on this one. Seems to me to go with Audiophile, but at the same time that one ignores any secondary audio tracks. Help? I am not sure what to do.

I have a plasma TV. Do I set the tv aspect to 16:9 wide or 16:9 normal?

What is the DivX registration for and do I need to do it?
rdn's Avatar rdn
02:07 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 587
I think that Internet@TV is how they refer to the Blockbuster, Netflix, Hulu and Pandora applications. Hulu isn't available yet, but with the others you need to set up an account with the provider. I set up a free trial account with Netflix and when I clicked on the app on my C5500, it gave me a code to enter on the Netflix web page. I then select films to view and they show up as available on the 5500. It works quite well and I'll probably pay for the service after the trial is over. I suspect that Blockbuster works in a similar way. Pandora is an audio application and is free.

As far as the audio and video formats, try the various choices and see which you like best.

I haven't checked in the Divx stuff yet.
02:17 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

I think that Internet@TV is how they refer to the Blockbuster, Netflix, Hulu and Pandora applications. Hulu isn't available yet, but with the others you need to set up an account with the provider. I set up a free trial account with Netflix and when I clicked on the app on my C5500, it gave me a code to enter on the Netflix web page. I then select films to view and they show up as available on the 5500. It works quite well and I'll probably pay for the service after the trial is over. I suspect that Blockbuster works in a similar way. Pandora is an audio application and is free.

As far as the audio and video formats, try the various choices and see which you like best.

I haven't checked in the Divx stuff yet.

Okay, I follow you on the Netflix and Pandora stuff and setting up accounts. I did that. What I am asking is the manual says to have to set up an Internet@tv account with a password to "have a more enjoyable application experience" What is that all about? Can I download the apps from Samsung without setting up such and account? What is the account for? I called Samsung and they had no clue, three different people.

The audio my question is what do I output? the Bitstream and have the receiver process of PCM and have the player process?

As far as DivX, am I paying for anything right now? I did register the DivX player code per the instructions in the manual.
druber's Avatar druber
03:00 PM Liked: 10
post #106 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 178
I think the Internet@TV features aren't active yet. It looks like you'll be able to buy/download apps that might be internet services like Pandora or the games that are currently listed.

I'm using the analog outputs, so I can't help you there.
Colonel Badger's Avatar Colonel Badger
03:19 PM Liked: 14
post #107 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by druber View Post

I'm using the analog outputs, so I can't help you there.

How do the analog outputs (presumably using HD Dolby etc.) compare to regular Dolby/DTS from a DVD?
rdn's Avatar rdn
05:13 PM Liked: 10
post #108 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 587
Since my Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V receiver has only 1 optical digital and 1 coaxial digital input, I run the HDMI to my TV and use the optical digital output from that to the receiver. The TV only outputs 5.1 when its internal tuner is in use, not from the HDMI inputs :-(, so I picked PCM. If either had a coaxial output I would have more options.

With DivX, you pay when you select a movie from the links at http://www.divx.com to download. Unless you have some way to store the file, Netflix is usually a better deal.
techman20's Avatar techman20
05:24 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 1625
03-09-2010 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

i can't even get mine to connect to the N part of the router only G..

Pc Streaming on this sucks i have tryed everything to get it to work. sometimes it plays for 5min sometimes 30min, i've tryed wired and wireless,even purchased a new gigabit n router,still no luck, I have even called samsung twice and i'm still waiting for a call back from their top techs (lol)
i can't even get mine to connect to the N it sees it,then it trys to connect and then says connected but will not get an ip or go online, only G. works .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

Does this thing play m2ts via usb?

Nope m2ts will not play even if i burn it to dvd. does not recognize them in pc streaming
av_roller's Avatar av_roller
02:13 AM Liked: 10
post #110 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 1
My first AVS post.

I am thinking of replacing my BDP-1600 with C6500 so I can play mkv files. My question is will the C6500 play a 1080p file through the component and HDMI outputs simultaneously with the player set at 1080i?

I have HDMI run to my receiver to TV and component video with analog audio run to a component matrix switch for two other TVs, Any thoughts?
08:22 AM Liked: 10
post #111 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Since my Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V receiver has only 1 optical digital and 1 coaxial digital input, I run the HDMI to my TV and use the optical digital output from that to the receiver. The TV only outputs 5.1 when its internal tuner is in use, not from the HDMI inputs :-(, so I picked PCM. If either had a coaxial output I would have more options.

With DivX, you pay when you select a movie from the links at http://www.divx.com to download. Unless you have some way to store the file, Netflix is usually a better deal.

I understand, by registering my device with DivX, I am now able to watch said movies So I would download to my PC and then stream it or watch it so to say through my BD using the ethernet that I have hooked up? Can you stream the DivX to your device? I imagine you use DivX software on your PC and somehow stream to the BD player? Confused on this one.
MrLatte's Avatar MrLatte
08:25 AM Liked: 10
post #112 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

I have a question, I have the option on the player to output PCM or Bitstream, what do I choose? Which is best? I see you can further choose Bitsream Reencode where it coverts the PCM output to DTS or Bitsream Audiophile where it only outputs the main audio soundtrack and the receiver then does the conversion whereas on the PCM the player decodes primary and secondary to PCM audio. I am way confused on this one. Seems to me to go with Audiophile, but at the same time that one ignores any secondary audio tracks. Help? I am not sure what to do.

I have a plasma TV. Do I set the tv aspect to 16:9 wide or 16:9 normal?

If you decode in the player or let your receiver decode the sound will be the same since Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are lossless codecs. The only advantage of having your receiver do the decoding is that your receiver will light up with "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS MTR HD" message which is nice since this lets you know what format you're listening to. Setting the Blu-ray to decode (PCM) is probably the best all around "set it and forget it" because you will get all the lossless audio codecs AND you'll get all the secondary audio sounds from the Blu-ray disc. These can be as simple as little "swish" sounds in the menu to full-blown integrated extra features. Your receiver will then just have the "PCM" light on.

Bitstream (re-encode) is a compromise as it give you all the secondary sounds but it re-encodes it down to plain DTS for your receiver to decode. This is all shown on page 34 of the owner's manual.

If you have a 16:9 TV my preference is 16:9 Normal as this preserves the original aspect ratio of a 4:3 source and puts black pillar bars on the sides. If you want to constantly fill your screen with stretched material then 16:9 Wide will stretch 4:3 source material and fill the screen. I believe either setting will be the same for 16:9 HD material.
09:15 AM Liked: 10
post #113 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 319
Okay, as far as prefererence, I'll leave at 16:9 Normal, I can always stretch if I want to fill the screen.
I did notice last night that I had black bars at the top and bottom with a BD movie. I could stretch it to fill the screen, but I guess it was supposed to look like that, right?

As far as the Bitsream vs. PCM, here is what I found last night:

I tried a disk last night, it was Twilight (for my 12 yo daughter). The audio track was DTD-HD Master 5.1 Channel. Wish it had more to experiment with, but alas that was what I had to work with.

I had the audio on the BD set to PCM. It output the signal as 7.1 Multichannel PCM. I could not choose anything else (meaning post processing setting or listening mode so to say) on the receiver except stereo or the 7.1 Multichannel PCM. Seemed to read 48KHz if that means anything. Which, according to that daunting chart I mentioned yesterday regarding my AVR, I can only take a 7.1 Multichannel PCM stream and listen in Stereo or Multichannel, so that makes sense.

When I changed the setting on the BD to Bitstream Audiophile, it showed up on my receiver as receiving a DTS-HD Master signal, 48KHz. All the lights went on on the receiver induicating this and the post processing (setting that I listen to the sound in) was DTS-HD Master 5.1. I could choose others as well if I wanted to. According to the manual on the AVR, and the chart I mentioned, I can listen to that in Stereo and DTS-HD Master audio, so, that makes sense.

Seems to me that I had more choices with the Bitsream signal. Seemed the PCM gave me no choices to change in around. Was I listening to the same audio or was one difefrent than the other?
MrLatte's Avatar MrLatte
10:11 AM Liked: 10
post #114 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

Okay, as far as prefererence, I'll leave at 16:9 Normal, I can always stretch if I want to fill the screen.
I did notice last night that I had black bars at the top and bottom with a BD movie. I could stretch it to fill the screen, but I guess it was supposed to look like that, right?

As far as the Bitsream vs. PCM, here is what I found last night:

I tried a disk last night, it was Twilight (for my 12 yo daughter). The audio track was DTD-HD Master 5.1 Channel. Wish it had more to experiment with, but alas that was what I had to work with.

I had the audio on the BD set to PCM. It output the signal as 7.1 Multichannel PCM. I could not choose anything else (meaning post processing setting or listening mode so to say) on the receiver except stereo or the 7.1 Multichannel PCM. Seemed to read 48KHz if that means anything. Which, according to that daunting chart I mentioned yesterday regarding my AVR, I can only take a 7.1 Multichannel PCM stream and listen in Stereo or Multichannel, so that makes sense.

When I changed the setting on the BD to Bitstream Audiophile, it showed up on my receiver as receiving a DTS-HD Master signal, 48KHz. All the lights went on on the receiver induicating this and the post processing (setting that I listen to the sound in) was DTS-HD Master 5.1. I could choose others as well if I wanted to. According to the manual on the AVR, and the chart I mentioned, I can listen to that in Stereo and DTS-HD Master audio, so, that makes sense.

Seems to me that I had more choices with the Bitsream signal. Seemed the PCM gave me no choices to change in around. Was I listening to the same audio or was one difefrent than the other?

16:9 TVs have an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and most HD broadcast network shows are in that aspect ratio. Blu-ray movies are usually in 1.85:1 which will give you very small black strips on the top and bottom or 2.35 or 2.40:1 which will give you bigger black bars. This is normal and it shows the movie on your screen as it was intended by the director - you see the entire movie.

Sounds like the receiver is doing what it's supposed to do. You really don't want to use any of the DSP processing modes on your receiver if you can listen to 5.1 or 7.1 lossless audio. Those modes are a throwback to the days of matrix surround audio and Dolby Pro-Logic when they were trying to trick you into thinking you were at a concert hall or jazz club by adding delays and echos. You really don't want that because now, with digital lossless sound codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MTR-HD) you are getting a bit-for-bit exact copy of what the soundtrack is from the movie. If they are mixing the audio for a club or hall sound you just want the direct sound - you'll get the sound you're suppose to - you don't need to add any artificial echos or delays!

Of course this is different from running the built-in Audyssey EQ room setup adjustments. That just sets the distance from your speakers to your listening position and sets the correct (most of the time) crossovers according to the size of your speakers.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander
10:28 AM Liked: 135
post #115 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 8,593
ringfinger - I'm going to suggest that you decide whether to discuss these issues here or in the Amps & Receivers forum where you also have a thread going. The issue of why a 5.1 source would appear as a 7.1 PCM output from the player is addressed there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18285238

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLatte View Post

Sounds like the receiver is doing what it's supposed to do.

Actually, it appears to be doing more than it should. A dts-MA 5.1 source is being decoded and output as 7.1.

Quote:

You really don't want to use any of the DSP processing modes on your receiver if you can listen to 5.1 or 7.1 lossless audio. Those modes are a throwback to the days of matrix surround audio and Dolby Pro-Logic when they were trying to trick you into thinking you were at a concert hall or jazz club by adding delays and echos. You really don't want that because now, with digital lossless sound codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MTR-HD) you are getting a bit-for-bit exact copy of what the soundtrack is from the movie. If they are mixing the audio for a club or hall sound you just want the direct sound - you'll get the sound you're suppose to - you don't need to add any artificial echos or delays!

But, the ability to matrix 5.1 to 7.1 is an important consideration. Very few discs have 7.1 soundtracks. A DSP such as PLIIx that can matrix rear channel sound is viewed as a valuable feature by many of those with 7.1 systems.
kenskibum's Avatar kenskibum
10:35 AM Liked: 10
post #116 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 5
I just got this player on Saturday, and I have been messing around trying to make it work on a consistent basis for days. Still waiting for a "product specialist" to call back. It's been 72 hours now.

It hangs up trying to load regular DVD's and Blu-ray disks about half the time. No problem with CD's. With Pandora, YouTube or any of the other apps, it hangs about 75% of the time. When it works, it works great. I've reset it many times, used wireless and hardwired it to my router with the same results.

I have got everything to work, including downloading BD live material, and accessing pictures from my computer, but it just won't do anything consistently. Perhaps it's just not ready for prime time.

I just thought I would share my findings. It sounds like it is working better for others, so perhaps a replacement unit is in order. -Ken
azdps's Avatar azdps
10:44 AM Liked: 10
post #117 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 3
can someone clear this up for me. will this player detect network shares and play files over the network? i have a router that has 2 external hard drives attached with video files. im wondering if this player will detect the shares and be able to navigate through the files and play the one i select. thank you.
MrLatte's Avatar MrLatte
10:47 AM Liked: 10
post #118 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

ringfinger - I'm going to suggest that you decide whether to discuss these issues here on in the Amps & Receivers forum where you also have a thread going. The issue of why a 5.1 source would appear as a 7.1 PCM output from the player is addressed there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18285238

Actually, it appears to be doing more than it should. A dts-MA 5.1 source is being decoded and output as 7.1.

But, the ability to matrix 5.1 to 7.1 is an important consideration. Very few discs have 7.1 soundtracks. A DSP such as PLIIx that can matrix rear channel sound is viewed as a valuable feature by many of those with 7.1 systems.

You're right - looks like I misinterpreted the question and missed the distinction between decoding 5.1 vs. 7.1.
rdn's Avatar rdn
10:58 AM Liked: 10
post #119 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdps View Post

can someone clear this up for me. will this player detect network shares and play files over the network? i have a router that has 2 external hard drives attached with video files. im wondering if this player will detect the shares and be able to navigate through the files and play the one i select. thank you.

I don't believe it will do that all by itself. There is a Samsung PC Share Manager program mentioned in the user manual and available on the Samsung website. You can also set up a media server program to access the shares and the player will detect that. I am doing that with EyeConnect on my Mac Mini.
si1verfish's Avatar si1verfish
11:16 AM Liked: 10
post #120 of 1625
03-10-2010 | Posts: 28
rdn,

I was just wondering if you've had success with any other DLNA servers on your PC. You mentioned TVersity didn't work for you, have you tried anything else?
Tags: Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player

Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread