Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Gib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to get this player to appear in Windows 7 to use the "Play To" functionality? I can browse and play videos that are on my Windows 7 pc from the 6500, but I can't initiate viewing from the pc. The interesting thing is that I can see my samsung tv from the pc and use the play to feature but not the blu-ray and the tv is a 2009 model versus the 2010 6500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

As a bluray player, I found the picture quality inferior to my pioneer 320 (both are set up to allow video processing to be done in my Denon 4310 AVR).

What settings did you use on the C6500 to pass 480i from SD DVD's over HDMI?

The SD upscaling on the C6500 is weak, and I'd rather have my Denon 2310 do the upscaling.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieied View Post

How do I create a user account? When I click on either Facebook or Twitter I get a window that reads "This is available to registered users only. Create a user account in the Setting menu and register a service site before you can log in." When I go to the Settings menu I see nothing that relates to what I need to do. Please be specific on the steeps as I am new with this player. Thank You

Create the Samsung (Apps Login) account first. /Dan
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeridian View Post

What settings did you use on the C6500 to pass 480i from SD DVD's over HDMI?

The SD upscaling on the C6500 is weak, and I'd rather have my Denon 2310 do the upscaling.

Personally I think the SD upscaling is quite good.

Joel
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post

Personally I think the SD upscaling is quite good.

I agree, at least as good as the competition in this class like the Sony and LG 570 models.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I agree, at least as good as the competition in this class like the Sony and LG 570 models.

I think the Samsung actually does a better job than the Sony S570 - more detail, and no combing (Sony definitely had combing). It's the only reason I got it over the Sony, lol...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djironic View Post

Can anyone running the 1020.1 version of the firmware confirm that Vudu is/is not working? It's still not working for me, and I'm starting to wonder if it's a Samsung thing or a Vudu thing...

Thanks in advance.

A software update to Vudu was pushed to my player. Problem fixed. Apparently, it was a Vudu problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Not as good as the Pioneer 320 (but the 320 doesn't do any network stuff).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Had to reactivate again tonight, I did move it to another room though. Also getting stuttering with Master and Commander when bitsreaming to my Denon AVR-790. Did not have that problem when I played it on my 60g fat PS3 with PCM, maybe the HDMI cable?

bguzman
I don't know if it was coincidence or not but since I swapped cables, cat5 and HDMI, everything has been fine. As far as upscaling DVDs, it is better than my Sony N460 and I haven't noticed any glaring issues.

bguzman

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Not in my experience. To my chagrin, my old Sony NS700H does a better job upscaling than the C6500, especially when comparing CG or animated discs. The C6500 has a slightly sharper picture, but the pixelated halos around high contrast objects ruins it.

I can get around this by using the Anchor Bay 2010 processor in my Denon 2310 to do the SD upscaling - if there's a way to configure the C6500 for "raw" or "native" (i.e., 480i) output for SD discs.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeridian View Post
Not in my experience. To my chagrin, my old Sony NS700H does a better job upscaling than the C6500, especially when comparing CG or animated discs. The C6500 has a slightly sharper picture, but the pixelated halos around high contrast objects ruins it.

I can get around this by using the Anchor Bay 2010 processor in my Denon 2310 to do the SD upscaling - if there's a way to configure the C6500 for "raw" or "native" (i.e., 480i) output for SD discs.
Do you have "BD Wise" turned on? Turn it off and set the HDMI output to 480i.

Incidentally I agree with the other posters that the SD upscaling of this model is very good. But upscaling is always a compromise, so the default settings Samsung is using may not work very well for you on CG or animated content.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Just curious to know if anyone else has the problem of no audio while trying to stream Netflix? The only way I can get Netflix audio on my player is to go into Pandora Radio first, exit out, and then go into Netflix. Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain.

I'm at the latest firmware release. I've deactivated and reactivated Netflix already. Player is connected via component cable to the TV and fiber optic to my receiver (no HDMI on the TV or receiver). Movies play fine with video and audio no matter what.

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp76 View Post

Just curious to know if anyone else has the problem of no audio while trying to stream Netflix? The only way I can get Netflix audio on my player is to go into Pandora Radio first, exit out, and then go into Netflix. Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain.

I'm at the latest firmware release. I've deactivated and reactivated Netflix already. Player is connected via component cable to the TV and fiber optic to my receiver (no HDMI on the TV or receiver). Movies play fine with video and audio no matter what.

Thanks!!

I haven't seen anyone else reporting this here, and I don't have this problem (but my player is totally HDMI-connected to the receiver). Very odd... I get Netflix audio in stereo (which I think is true for everyone except maybe some people with PlayStation 3s).

Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Anyone else have the problem where the player won't resume a DVD? IOW, starts from the beginning (including unskippable menus) every time? Is there a magic sequence I need to use when shutting down to make this not happen?

(Yes, I mean DVD, not BluRay Disc).
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post

Anyone else have the problem where the player won't resume a DVD? IOW, starts from the beginning (including unskippable menus) every time? Is there a magic sequence I need to use when shutting down to make this not happen?

(Yes, I mean DVD, not BluRay Disc).

I have never had this problem with DVDs on this player except for a few badly authored DVDs that do it on my other two players as well. Did you happen to try the watch-me-again DVD in some other player?

The latest firmware update (3.70) allows the RESUME feature to work on many BDs as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Do you have "BD Wise" turned on? Turn it off and set the HDMI output to 480i.

I'll check the "BD Wise" setting.

Will setting the HDMI output to 480i force BD playback to 480i, too?

Quote:

Incidentally I agree with the other posters that the SD upscaling of this model is very good. But upscaling is always a compromise, so the default settings Samsung is using may not work very well for you on CG or animated content.

Yeah, honestly those comments surprise me. Even PCMag noted moderate background noise with upscaled SD in their C6500 review. I spend a significant part of my day in front of large, high res displays, so I may be more sensitive to artifacts than most.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

In my player, BD-Wise is set to ON, but it's grayed out. How do I turn it off? The player is connected to my receiver via HDMI. The receiver (if this makes any difference) is set to convert all incoming signals to 1080i.

By the way, my receiver is a Denon, and my TV is Toshiba, so there are no other "BD-Wise" components in this system.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess it's grayed out because it doesn't detect any other component it can communicate with to exchange settings automatically. Can you access the output resolution setting to select 480i? If not you might have to unplug the HDMI cable, set BD Wise to Off, then reconnect.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I guess it's grayed out because it doesn't detect any other component it can communicate with to exchange settings automatically. Can you access the output resolution setting to select 480i? If not you might have to unplug the HDMI cable, set BD Wise to Off, then reconnect.

Might be hard to do without being able to see the menus on the screen.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post

Might be hard to do without being able to see the menus on the screen.

I'll try unplugging the HDMI cable and connecting the player with component or another method to see if I can then shut off BD-Wise.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

On my player, BD-Wise is turned ON and grayed out. I disconnected the Ethernet and HDMI cables from this player and connected it to my Toshiba TV with the composite (RCA yellow jack) video cable. So this composite video cable was the only output from the player. There was no disc in the player.

The menu still shows BD-Wise as turned ON and grayed out. Any other suggestions??

Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

On my player, BD-Wise is turned ON and grayed out. I disconnected the Ethernet and HDMI cables from this player and connected it to my Toshiba TV with the composite (RCA yellow jack) video cable. So this composite video cable was the only output from the player. There was no disc in the player.

The menu still shows BD-Wise as turned ON and grayed out. Any other suggestions??

Do you have a samsung tv? Disable it on the TV first. Search the menus, its in there somewhere.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Do many people have the issue I'm having with this player?

Every single time, and I mean EVERY time I try to watch a dvd
it starts to read it, the first chapter of the disk will come on (usually either FBI warnings or previews) and the screen totally locks up. I cant hit any button except "off"
to get out of the locked screen.
Then the machine has to completely reboot and most of the time will
then play the dvd properly.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle blues View Post

Do you have a samsung tv? Disable it on the TV first. Search the menus, its in there somewhere.

I have a Toshiba TV. Even if I did have a Samsung TV, the player wouldn't know about it if I was connecting to the TV only with compositive (yellow RCA jack) video, since there is nothing coming back from the TV to the player over a composite video wire. As I mentioned, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the player and still could not turn off this BD-Wise feature.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Is there any way to change the "Recommended Apps" on the main screen of the C6500?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm not getting a lot of hits on the search here or with Google.

------------------------------
Brian
Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkingx View Post

Is there any way to change the "Recommended Apps" on the main screen of the C6500?

I had the same question. Couldn't find any way. It does seem like an odd thing not to let you change it.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

What purpose does setting the time on the clock serve? I see no where on the external display or even various guides/menus where the time is displayed.

Connecticut
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I had the same question. Couldn't find any way. It does seem like an odd thing not to let you change it.

I agree! Seems like such a fundamental feature that people would want to use. Anyone else ever had any luck changing the Recommended Apps?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
rmf

About as much luck as getting rid of the self-loading impossible to kill vampire crap on a Verizon Android phone (unless you root it). These are bought and paid for apparently because they don't consider the price of the player (or phone) to be enough.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkingx View Post

I agree! Seems like such a fundamental feature that people would want to use. Anyone else ever had any luck changing the Recommended Apps?

I tried such things as designating some apps as favorites and somehow got one of them to change, but the one which went in its place seemed to be randomly selected. I think it changed again once due to an update.

Bob

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player