Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 43 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------

Blu-ray Players

sgstatic's Avatar sgstatic
09:39 AM Liked: 10
post #1261 of 1625
01-26-2011 | Posts: 4
I just picked up a new 6500 and love it. It immediately connected to my wireless network and we've been watching Blu-rays, streamed Netflix and jamming Pandora.

I do have one a question. I have a Denon AVR-988 receiver that can handle hdmi 7.1 TrueHD and DTS. What audio setting should I put the 6500 on to get the cleanest, highest quality audio sent to the receiver?

thanks

SG
dcaley's Avatar dcaley
09:56 AM Liked: 10
post #1262 of 1625
01-26-2011 | Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

How did you do that? Any pointers?

tried it before i added this profile and it wouldnt work, not sure why, but i googled around and found this thread, specifically the 7th post. after adding the code to profiles.xml in the tversity folder and restarting sharing, it worked.

Code:

Samsung
    Samsung
    BD-C6500
    /images/device_icon_dtv.png

i think you can also change the "6500" in the above code to "5500" and it should work as well.

im using windows 7 ultimate and tversity pro.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach
04:04 PM Liked: 101
post #1263 of 1625
01-26-2011 | Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgstatic View Post

I just picked up a new 6500 and love it. It immediately connected to my wireless network and we've been watching Blu-rays, streamed Netflix and jamming Pandora.

I do have one a question. I have a Denon AVR-988 receiver that can handle hdmi 7.1 TrueHD and DTS. What audio setting should I put the 6500 on to get the cleanest, highest quality audio sent to the receiver?

thanks

SG

Set it to Audiophile, and the digital signal gets transmitted to your receiver unchanged, and then the receiver will do all of the digital-to-analog conversion.
amesdp's Avatar amesdp
09:39 PM Liked: 19
post #1264 of 1625
01-26-2011 | Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaley View Post
after adding the code to profiles.xml in the tversity folder and restarting sharing, it worked.

i think you can also change the "6500" in the above code to "5500" and it should work as well.

im using windows 7 ultimate and tversity pro.
Thanks! That TVersity profile worked for me with both the 5500 and the 6500 (with the model number changed to match).
btnh6668's Avatar btnh6668
09:12 PM Liked: 10
post #1265 of 1625
01-27-2011 | Posts: 4
I just got this player last week. This is my first blue ray player so i don't have much to compare to. When you guys watch a blue ray on this player is the picture always flawless? I find on many dark scenes it looks snowy depending on what camera angle is used. For example i just finished watching Robin Hood, they are at a camp fire and the first angle is clear, then it cuts to a different angle and the picture is really snowy. It then goes back to the previous angle and the picture is clear again. So far ive watched 3 blue ray dvd's and 6 regular dvd's. Its done it on all the blue rays and 4 of the 6 dvd's ive watched. I got it connected using HDMI cable.. i even tried using a different one to rule that out. Ive messed with a few of the settings but with no luck. Basically i want to know if this is normal or should i return it?
mythrenegade's Avatar mythrenegade
09:27 PM Liked: 10
post #1266 of 1625
01-27-2011 | Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh6668
I just got this player last week. This is my first blue ray player so i don't have much to compare to. When you guys watch a blue ray on this player is the picture always flawless? I find on many dark scenes it looks snowy depending on what camera angle is used. For example i just finished watching Robin Hood, they are at a camp fire and the first angle is clear, then it cuts to a different angle and the picture is really snowy. It then goes back to the previous angle and the picture is clear again. So far ive watched 3 blue ray dvd's and 6 regular dvd's. Its done it on all the blue rays and 4 of the 6 dvd's ive watched. I got it connected using HDMI cable.. i even tried using a different one to rule that out. Ive messed with a few of the settings but with no luck. Basically i want to know if this is normal or should i return it?
What do you mean by snowy? I'm guessing you are standing 12 inches from your tv and seeing grain.

Put in a blu ray of something by pixar like cars. Does it look perfect? Your player is fine.

I love my 6500 and unlike a poster a page or so ago I am very pleased with the upscaling and PQ of this player. It looks and sounds stunning. I live in a broadband deficient area so I don't have good Internet and can't speak to any of those features.

Joel
pbarach's Avatar pbarach
09:51 PM Liked: 101
post #1267 of 1625
01-27-2011 | Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by btnh6668 View Post
I just got this player last week. This is my first blue ray player so i don't have much to compare to. When you guys watch a blue ray on this player is the picture always flawless? I find on many dark scenes it looks snowy depending on what camera angle is use
WHat kind of TV do you have, and what resolution is it?
btnh6668's Avatar btnh6668
03:52 AM Liked: 10
post #1268 of 1625
01-28-2011 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
WHat kind of TV do you have, and what resolution is it?
I have a samsung PN58C500 58". Myth when i watch HD for example i see none of this "snowy" picture. There have been some dvd's in which been perfectly fine. The majority though have not been. If i was sitting to close would it not do it for the majority of the movie and on all the movies? For some to look fine and others not to im guessing something may be wrong.
RHSmith's Avatar RHSmith
08:15 AM Liked: 10
post #1269 of 1625
01-30-2011 | Posts: 3
Went to Samsung site where prople are angry that Hulu Plus is not available. I asked On-line Support and initial response was "hardware limitation". But, this changed to "working on firmware update"; no projected date available. So, Hulu Plus App may be forthcoming??

I understand these things can be more complicated than they seem, but I don't understand how Netflix and other video Apps differ so much from Hulu as to make it impossible to provide.
spiritfox's Avatar spiritfox
08:34 AM Liked: 22
post #1270 of 1625
01-30-2011 | Posts: 570
Must be the same reason Amazon VOD is available on my TV but not on the Blu Ray--I don't get it either but hopefully these shortfalls can be fixed with a firmware update.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach
08:37 AM Liked: 101
post #1271 of 1625
01-30-2011 | Posts: 2,585
So can this player get the FREE Hulu stuff?
RHSmith's Avatar RHSmith
10:30 AM Liked: 10
post #1272 of 1625
01-30-2011 | Posts: 3
On BD-C6500: No Hulu Plus. No Hulu.
Looking quickly at Hulu website, I thought Hulu is available on computer only.
joshcmf's Avatar joshcmf
01:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1273 of 1625
01-31-2011 | Posts: 2
Hello,

I am using the bd-c6500 to stream videos wirelessly from my pc. I have tried a few different servers (pcsm, tversity, serviio) and all of them seem to disconnect at random times. Im not sure what the problem is. Sometimes the file playing will stop and the next file in the folder will start playing. Sometimes the server disconnects, but the other servers will still show up.

If it helps I have the netgear wnr2000v2 wireless n router. My connection quality always shows up as excellent. There is a setting in the router to change from 145 Mbps to 300Mbps I should try but I didnt think I would need to and didnt know if the player would be able to use the full connection.

I also have quite an old pc so i was wondering if that could be a problem, but i thought that streaming did not require a fast pc.

If anyone is having this problem or know a solution to stream media (besides going wired lol) please let me know.

Thanks in advance, this seems like a great forum.
Quaid's Avatar Quaid
01:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1274 of 1625
01-31-2011 | Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcmf View Post

Hello,

I am using the bd-c6500 to stream videos wirelessly from my pc. I have tried a few different servers (pcsm, tversity, serviio) and all of them seem to disconnect at random times. Im not sure what the problem is. Sometimes the file playing will stop and the next file in the folder will start playing. Sometimes the server disconnects, but the other servers will still show up.

If it helps I have the netgear wnr2000v2 wireless n router. My connection quality always shows up as excellent. There is a setting in the router to change from 145 Mbps to 300Mbps I should try but I didnt think I would need to and didnt know if the player would be able to use the full connection.

I also have quite an old pc so i was wondering if that could be a problem, but i thought that streaming did not require a fast pc.

If anyone is having this problem or know a solution to stream media (besides going wired lol) please let me know.

Thanks in advance, this seems like a great forum.

I have experienced similar problems. My computer is not old, and my connection is also excellent. Updating the firmware to the latest version decreased the frequency of playback interruptions, but did not eliminate them.
joshcmf's Avatar joshcmf
03:12 PM Liked: 10
post #1275 of 1625
01-31-2011 | Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaid View Post

I have experienced similar problems. My computer is not old, and my connection is also excellent. Updating the firmware to the latest version decreased the frequency of playback interruptions, but did not eliminate them.

Thanks for the reply. I too have the latest firmware (1020.1). Maybe this is a player problem then if the frequency of interruptions went down with your firmware upgrade. Hopefully Samsung will release another firmware that can fix this. I shall probably email them later on to inquire but dont expect much help from them based on my research.
MandrewAhieu's Avatar MandrewAhieu
06:16 PM Liked: 10
post #1276 of 1625
02-01-2011 | Posts: 19
Hi everyone --

In the last two to three weeks, the time it takes to load a movie via Netflix went from very fast (10 seconds maybe) to very slow (5 minutes). The change was sudden. One day it worked great, then it fell apart.

I'm just curious -- has anyone else experienced the same thing recently?

Thanks!
Andrew

P.S. I don't think it's my internet connection or router - my other wi-fi devices (laptop, smartphone) haven't changed in performance and still work well.
Tetisman's Avatar Tetisman
07:33 PM Liked: 10
post #1277 of 1625
02-01-2011 | Posts: 1
Let me preface my post by saying that I'm not very video savvy so here goes. I purchased this Samsung blu-ray player as our first one. My wife has a Sony Bravia KDL-46V3000 46" LCD she bought before we were married. The blu-ray player is connected via HDMI cable. The picture doesn't pop or jump out for lack of a better term and being relatively new to this stuff, please guide me in the right direction. I'm afraid the tv isn't up to the task of reproducing the blu-ray signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MandrewAhieu's Avatar MandrewAhieu
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #1278 of 1625
02-01-2011 | Posts: 19
Nevermind -- I changed the channel setting on my router and voila... working again.
austriak's Avatar austriak
05:45 AM Liked: 10
post #1279 of 1625
02-02-2011 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetisman View Post

Let me preface my post by saying that I'm not very video savvy so here goes. I purchased this Samsung blu-ray player as our first one. My wife has a Sony Bravia KDL-46V3000 46" LCD she bought before we were married. The blu-ray player is connected via HDMI cable. The picture doesn't pop or jump out for lack of a better term and being relatively new to this stuff, please guide me in the right direction. I'm afraid the tv isn't up to the task of reproducing the blu-ray signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you calibrated/changed your TV settings? Even if you set it up for regular TV, you need to set it for your Blu Ray input. There are Blu Rays and DVDs out there that can help you callibrate it or sometimes you can find other people's calibrations online, enter it, and adjust it. CNET usually posts calibrations in their reviews of TVs.
Gib's Avatar Gib
06:49 AM Liked: 10
post #1280 of 1625
02-02-2011 | Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandrewAhieu View Post

Nevermind -- I changed the channel setting on my router and voila... working again.

I can't believe you ever get Netflix to start in 10 seconds. Mine has a physical connection on 25Mbps Fios and takes at least 30-40 seconds to start. The problem is the bd player itself is slow. Maybe a low def movie would be faster but not 10 seconds. My xbox is much faster <20s.
TheRealDeal1's Avatar TheRealDeal1
12:11 PM Liked: 10
post #1281 of 1625
02-06-2011 | Posts: 168
According to this month's Home Theater Magazine, the c6500 does DVD-audio. Can anyone with DVD-A media confirm?
pbarach's Avatar pbarach
02:45 PM Liked: 101
post #1282 of 1625
02-06-2011 | Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal1 View Post

According to this month's Home Theater Magazine, the c6500 does DVD-audio. Can anyone with DVD-A media confirm?

Yes, it does (over HDMI--didn't try the analog connections). The only DVD-A I have is the Beatles "Love." All three audio tracks play at 48 kHz.
mythrenegade's Avatar mythrenegade
06:43 PM Liked: 10
post #1283 of 1625
02-07-2011 | Posts: 78
When using the analog outs the manual says to set the digital output to PCM. Is this really necessary? It seems like the sound is fine without doing this. Does anyone know why this is suggested and what it does?

Joel
PezMiss's Avatar PezMiss
08:11 PM Liked: 10
post #1284 of 1625
02-07-2011 | Posts: 4
Having issues with the audio dropping out while streaming Netflix. I'm experimenting with different combinations and so far this is the killer combination: Play a Blu ray Disc, then stream Netflix. No audio on the Netflix. But, if I play a BD, then Pandora (for example), then Netflix, the Netflix audio is fine. This experiment is repeatable and so far, the results are always the same. Anyone else having this problem or able to get the same results?

Edit: After more experimenting, to play a DVD and then Netflix also kills the Netflix audio. To play a CD and then Netflix, the Netflix audio is fine. It seems any disc with video interferes with the Netflix audio?

Edit: The test results show that if any video disc (BD or DVD) is played, followed immediately by Netflix streaming, the Netflix audio is dead. But, if you "kill" the Netfilx audio by playing a video disc and THEN play audio only via Pandora or a CD, Netfilx audio is restored, even after being knocked out by a video disc.

What could be the cause of this? What is the solution for this (other than don't watch Netfilx right after a BD or DVD)?
ekbrewer's Avatar ekbrewer
03:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1285 of 1625
02-09-2011 | Posts: 5
I can confirm that I have the same exact audio problem with netflix audio. Unfortunately, my 2.5 and 4.5 year olds are not very patient about starting one of their shows, finding out there is no sound, having to switch to pandora, then reload netflix. I've had the problem for about 3 months, but unfortunately, it took that long to realize the problem was with the player and not the novice user. Now it is too late to return. I would also like to know if this is a common problem or a defect that I might get replacement for (crutchfield will actually replace things outside of 30 days sometimes.)
Eric

Having issues with the audio dropping out while streaming Netflix. I'm experimenting with different combinations and so far this is the killer combination: Play a Blue ray Disc, then stream Netflix. No audio on the Netflix. But, if I play a BD, then Pandora (for example), then Netflix, the Netflix audio is fine. This experiment is repeatable and so far, the results are always the same. Anyone else having this problem or able to get the same results?

Edit: After more experimenting, to play a DVD and then Netflix also kills the Netflix audio. To play a CD and then Netflix, the Netflix audio is fine. It seems any disc with video interferes with the Netflix audio?

Edit: The test results show that if any video disc (BD or DVD) is played, followed immediately by Netflix streaming, the Netflix audio is dead. But, if you "kill" the Netfilx audio by playing a video disc and THEN play audio only via Pandora or a CD, Netfilx audio is restored, even after being knocked out by a video disc.

What could be the cause of this? What is the solution for this (other than don't watch Netfilx right after a BD or DVD)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flowersrj's Avatar flowersrj
05:15 PM Liked: 10
post #1286 of 1625
02-09-2011 | Posts: 52
Can anyone verify that they can play videos and hear sound using the latest firmware available from Samsung?
pbarach's Avatar pbarach
06:15 PM Liked: 101
post #1287 of 1625
02-09-2011 | Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post

Can anyone verify that they can play videos and hear sound using the latest firmware available from Samsung?

I think 3.70 is the latest. I have zero problems with anything on this player.
PezMiss's Avatar PezMiss
08:28 PM Liked: 10
post #1288 of 1625
02-09-2011 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbrewer View Post

I can confirm that I have the same exact audio problem with netflix audio. Unfortunately, my 2.5 and 4.5 year olds are not very patient about starting one of their shows, finding out there is no sound, having to switch to pandora, then reload netflix. I've had the problem for about 3 months, but unfortunately, it took that long to realize the problem was with the player and not the novice user. Now it is too late to return. I would also like to know if this is a common problem or a defect that I might get replacement for (crutchfield will actually replace things outside of 30 days sometimes.)
Eric

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric, I am on my 4th Samsung unit... one 5500, two 6500, and one 6800. They all display the same exact problem. Add in your player and that makes five units.
ekbrewer's Avatar ekbrewer
04:18 AM Liked: 10
post #1289 of 1625
02-10-2011 | Posts: 5
Thanks for the confirmation. Prretty sad when my 2.5 year old says "no sound, try pandora."

Also, I get frequent audio drops when listening to pandora or to streamed music from the pcsm. Takes 1-3 resets to get the sound back.

Eric
michaelnel's Avatar michaelnel
06:23 AM Liked: 11
post #1290 of 1625
02-10-2011 | Posts: 81
I bought a BD-C6500 because my BD-P1600 had so many problems with Netflix streaming. It would frequently play the audio without the video unless I powercycled it several times.

The BD-6500, even after the latest firmware upgrade, plays the video without the audio after playing a BD movie. That even persists through several on/off cycles. I read this thread and tried playing Pandora. Pandora played fine, and after playing Pandora now the Netflix streaming plays audio and video again.

Isn't Samsung ever going to get this working right?
Tags: Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player

Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread