Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm disappointed that 4 pages in and we still don't have any screenshots of an unboxing

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1verfish View Post

rdn,

I was just wondering if you've had success with any other DLNA servers on your PC. You mentioned TVersity didn't work for you, have you tried anything else?

I haven't tried anything else on my PC (I intend to try the Samsung PC Share Manager). EyeConnect works pretty well on my Mac but one .mpg file caused the player to hang.

Bob
post #123 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman20 View Post

Nope m2ts will not play even if i burn it to dvd. does not recognize them in pc streaming

Thanks for the response. This is a shame. Why is it so hard to find a decent blu-ray player that can do m2ts, mkv, and divx?
post #124 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLatte View Post

16:9 TVs have an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and most HD broadcast network shows are in that aspect ratio. Blu-ray movies are usually in 1.85:1 which will give you very small black strips on the top and bottom or 2.35 or 2.40:1 which will give you bigger black bars. This is normal and it shows the movie on your screen as it was intended by the director - you see the entire movie.

Sounds like the receiver is doing what it's supposed to do. You really don't want to use any of the DSP processing modes on your receiver if you can listen to 5.1 or 7.1 lossless audio. Those modes are a throwback to the days of matrix surround audio and Dolby Pro-Logic when they were trying to trick you into thinking you were at a concert hall or jazz club by adding delays and echos. You really don't want that because now, with digital lossless sound codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MTR-HD) you are getting a bit-for-bit exact copy of what the soundtrack is from the movie. If they are mixing the audio for a club or hall sound you just want the direct sound - you'll get the sound you're suppose to - you don't need to add any artificial echos or delays!

Of course this is different from running the built-in Audyssey EQ room setup adjustments. That just sets the distance from your speakers to your listening position and sets the correct (most of the time) crossovers according to the size of your speakers.

Thanks for the response. Yes, the Twilight movie is 2.35:1 ratio, thus the larger black bars. Makes sense to me.

I may have said 7.1 on accident, if the soundtrack is 5.1 there is no way it could have output to the BD as 7.1, my error, my mind is going.

So, leaving it on PCM, I get the 5.1 or 7.1 stream converted by the player and sent to the receiver. I only have a 5.1 setup, so will the receiver adjust for that and send it only through the 5.1 channels?

In my small mind, 5.1 sounds good, but when the receiver says DTS Master and all the lights are on, in my mind visually it sounds even better (the look not the actual sound). Are you saying that because the disk was 5.1 DTS MTR-HD, and the signal to the receiver says it was 5.1 PCM, that is the way it is meant to be heard? There is no better "sound" or "setting" I could be using? It is splitting it right and delivering it right, regardless if 200 lights light up on my receiver when it is set as Bitstream?
post #125 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post

So, leaving it on PCM, I get the 5.1 or 7.1 stream converted by the player and sent to the receiver. I only have a 5.1 setup, so will the receiver adjust for that and send it only through the 5.1 channels?

Yes. Very few films have 7.1 soundtracks to begin with. They are mixed in 5.1 for theatrical release and most remain 5.1 for home release. If the disc is 7.1, the player or the receiver will do the required downmixing on 5.1 systems. No sound is lost.

Quote:

In my small mind, 5.1 sounds good, but when the receiver says DTS Master and all the lights are on, in my mind visually it sounds even better (the look not the actual sound). Are you saying that because the disk was 5.1 DTS MTR-HD, and the signal to the receiver says it was 5.1 PCM, that is the way it is meant to be heard? There is no better "sound" or "setting" I could be using? It is splitting it right and delivering it right, regardless if 200 lights light up on my receiver when it is set as Bitstream?

The only difference is in the lights, not the audio itself.

Movie soundtracks are recorded as multichannel PCM. But, PCM takes up a lot of space on a disc. TrueHD and dts-MA are really just different types of zip files used to save space. An encoded audio file cannot be "played" to produce sound. It has to be decoded first, turning it back into PCM. Lossless encoders compress (zip) the original PCM by removing some of the data. The decoders uncompress (unzip) the file, restoring everything that was taken out. You end up with the exact same PCM that you started with. It doesn't matter whether the compressed file is unzipped in the player or the receiver. It's still the same PCM, bit for bit, either way.

If there are differences, they occur after decoding and they are caused by limitations in specific equipment, not by anything inherent in the encode/decode process. Some receivers don't have enough horsepower to decode a lossless track and also perform other processing functions such as EQ or ProLogic IIx to expand 5.1 sources to 7.1 outputs. In those cases, it's better to decode in the player so that the receiver can use its limited processing power for other tasks. You get fewer lights on your AVR, but better sound from your speakers.
post #126 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM

It really is simple I guess, I spent way too much time analyzing this. For finalization:

1. Leave the player at PCM and never mind the lights. The PCM stream is pure and no better audio will come if I process it at the receiver? 5.1 or 7.1 is 5.1 or 7.1, having the receiver decode and have all the fancy lights light still means that the sound coming out is still the same 5.1 or 7.1 that the BD player sent as a PCM when it decoded it, right?

2. Lastly, if the source is 7.1 PCM from the BD player, will the receiver know I have 5.1 channels and correct it to deliver to 5.1 channels?

Strictly to close this chapter so to say. I appreciate all the help.
post #127 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

It really is simple I guess, I spent way too much time analyzing this. For finalization:

1. Leave the player at PCM and never mind the lights. The PCM stream is pure and no better audio will come if I process it at the receiver? 5.1 or 7.1 is 5.1 or 7.1, having the receiver decode and have all the fancy lights light still means that the sound coming out is still the same 5.1 or 7.1 that the BD player sent as a PCM when it decoded it, right?

Yes. In fact, with the limitations of your receiver, it is better to decode in the player.

Quote:

2. Lastly, if the source is 7.1 PCM from the BD player, will the receiver know I have 5.1 channels and correct it to deliver to 5.1 channels?

Yes. Actually, I think the player does the downmixing based on the HDMI handshake with the receiver, which identifies the AVR as a 5.1 device. 7.1 TrueHD and dts-MA encodes have metadata which includes the downmix instructions. So, the downmixing is best done as part of the decoding process, which is happening in the player in your case.
post #128 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_roller View Post

My first AVS post.

I am thinking of replacing my BDP-1600 with C6500 so I can play mkv files.

I have yet to even see mkv files as available. I have tons of them in folders shared with PC Share Manager and can see the avi files in there, but no mkv. I haven't tried too hard to troubleshoot that yet since I can't keep the connection stable for any streaming video. Still messing around with that...
post #129 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Again, thanks to all!!
post #130 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Does anyone realize when you turn the player off and then back on, it loses the wifi connection? How pathetic is that. Needs a fix.
post #131 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Wait...what? It's pathetic that when you turn the player off it drops the WiFi connection and then when you turn it back on it has to re-acquire it?

Am I missing something here? How is that pathetic?
post #132 of 1625 Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Is the wired Ethernet port a Gigabit Ethernet (1000BaseT) or Fast Ethernet (100BaseT)? I have not been able to locate this information.
post #133 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM

It reacquired when it turned back on, not pathetic. I have heard others had the problem of it not reacquiring.

Additionally, I see about 700 Mb or so that can be used for the HD-Live content. Can that content be deleted every once in a while or do you have to keep the HD-Live info for some reason? I am goggy on that point.

Also, where are the firmware updates stored? Will I mistakenly somehow erase that?

Also again, for Internet@TV, I see an option to log in, create accounts, associate apps with an account. Is there really a need? My impression is this is a Samsung thing where you can create an account and download apps. Can't you just do it without a login? I am not talking about Netflix or Blockbuster accounts, I am speaking of an Internet@TV account.
post #134 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was hoping to buy this but seems so many mixed reviews here and elsewhere.

amazon

Are you guys that bought it happy with it or do you have buyers remorse?
post #135 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM

I personally am happy, but customer support sucks. They cannot understand me nor what I am asking. Maybe it is just me....
post #136 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

It reacquired when it turned back on, not pathetic. I have heard others had the problem of it not reacquiring.

Additionally, I see about 700 Mb or so that can be used for the HD-Live content. Can that content be deleted every once in a while or do you have to keep the HD-Live info for some reason? I am goggy on that point.

Also, where are the firmware updates stored? Will I mistakenly somehow erase that?

Also again, for Internet@TV, I see an option to log in, create accounts, associate apps with an account. Is there really a need? My impression is this is a Samsung thing where you can create an account and download apps. Can't you just do it without a login? I am not talking about Netflix or Blockbuster accounts, I am speaking of an Internet@TV account.

I've never had a problem getting a wireless connection. I have had problems keeping it while streaming video from a PC. The extra stuff held in memory can be deleted through the settings. You will not delete your firmware (though I wouldn't turn the player off in the middle of an upgrade).

I didn't make an Internet@TV account, but I still use NetFlix and Pandora. As far as I can tell there is no reason to make one. The player still updates its apps.

I'm unable to stream video from my PC (get a portable device disconnected error), and I can't see all my mkv files. For some reason I was able to see one file, but not the others. All of them were created with the same program (Handbrake), so I'm stumped. I've got a few days before my 30 day return period is up. If I can't fix these issues by then the player is going back to Frys.
post #137 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

I've never had a problem getting a wireless connection. I have had problems keeping it while streaming video from a PC. The extra stuff held in memory can be deleted through the settings. You will not delete your firmware (though I wouldn't turn the player off in the middle of an upgrade).

I didn't make an Internet@TV account, but I still use NetFlix and Pandora. As far as I can tell there is no reason to make one. The player still updates its apps.

I'm unable to stream video from my PC (get a portable device disconnected error), and I can't see all my mkv files. For some reason I was able to see one file, but not the others. All of them were created with the same program (Handbrake), so I'm stumped. I've got a few days before my 30 day return period is up. If I can't fix these issues by then the player is going back to Frys.

I'll test the connection, so far so good. I have an ethermet at the ready if there are any issues.

What is the BD-Live stuff that is using the memory? There is not need for it at all?

When and where is the player updating apps? Is that in the Samsung section of the Internet@TV screen?
post #138 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I personally am happy, but customer support sucks. They cannot understand me nor what I am asking. Maybe it is just me....

It's not just you. I've been sending support a few messages, mostly about the bugs in the player, and their "solutions" are obviously already covered in the e-mail I sent.

The player will slow down if you play multiple Xvid files in a row. If I power cycle the player, the Xvid file that was playing at a slow framerate will play normally again. They suggested I try a different file, but obviously if the video plays fine after a power cycle, so it obviously has nothing to do with the file itself.

They've also suggested that I reset the player. Why? The player is brand new and it hasn't been used for much so far. If a hardware reset was required, that would look really bad for the player. Besides, the issues are clearly bugs that could easily be fixed via firmware, so a hardware reset is simply ridiculous.

The issue I was having with being unable to navigate the BD Live portion of the Star Trek Blu-Rays (Original Series Season 2) has magically cleared itself up.

I still love the player, don't get me wrong. I've just had the fortune of making the majority of my hardware purchases after one or two firmware updates had been released. Keep providing Samsung with a list of the glitches and they'll hopefully get them squared away. If it wasn't for the bugs, this player would be near perfect for me. Those bugs should be easy enough to fix.
post #139 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM

First I agree with previous posters, Samsung support sucks!!! After having very positive experiences with the p1600 I took deliver of a BD-C6500 yesterday. BluRay and DVD works perfectly. however for Netflix and Blockbuster there is no sound. Samsung support asked me to factory reset the machine by pushing the off button on the unit and powering off for 30 minutes. The factory reset worked and netflix had sound for about 45 minutes before stopping. Any ideas, thoughts, am I the only person with this problem?
post #140 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginereality View Post

It's not just you. I've been sending support a few messages, mostly about the bugs in the player, and their "solutions" are obviously already covered in the e-mail I sent.

The player will slow down if you play multiple Xvid files in a row. If I power cycle the player, the Xvid file that was playing at a slow framerate will play normally again. They suggested I try a different file, but obviously if the video plays fine after a power cycle, so it obviously has nothing to do with the file itself.

They've also suggested that I reset the player. Why? The player is brand new and it hasn't been used for much so far. If a hardware reset was required, that would look really bad for the player. Besides, the issues are clearly bugs that could easily be fixed via firmware, so a hardware reset is simply ridiculous.

The issue I was having with being unable to navigate the BD Live portion of the Star Trek Blu-Rays (Original Series Season 2) has magically cleared itself up.

I still love the player, don't get me wrong. I've just had the fortune of making the majority of my hardware purchases after one or two firmware updates had been released. Keep providing Samsung with a list of the glitches and they'll hopefully get them squared away. If it wasn't for the bugs, this player would be near perfect for me. Those bugs should be easy enough to fix.

Are you playing Xvid from USB flash memory or from the network?
post #141 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

I have a Western Digital My Book 1TB NTFS formatted drive hooked in through USB.
post #142 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I have a Western Digital My Book 1TB NTFS formatted drive hooked in through USB.

Interesting, I tired to use my WD pocket drives and they where not recognized, does your drive have a separate power source. USB stick worked for me, but the device could not power the WD USB drive.
post #143 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Also again, for Internet@TV, I see an option to log in, create accounts, associate apps with an account. Is there really a need?

I think the accounts you can create are like parental controls, so your kids can't watch inaproprate content unless they have a password.

As far as the unit itself, unless they come up with a firmware fix in the next couple days, I think I will return it and try the Sony BDP-S370, even though they say July 2010 for DLNA and spring 2010 for Pandora.
post #144 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskibum View Post

I think the accounts you can create are like parental controls, so your kids can't watch inaproprate content unless they have a password.

As far as the unit itself, unless they come up with a firmware fix in the next couple days, I think I will return it and try the Sony BDP-S370, even though they say July 2010 for DLNA and spring 2010 for Pandora.

I saw the parental control where you can block the ratings from 1-8, that is a different feature.
post #145 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 PM

The accounts are to purchase additional apps for the player since every manufacturer wants to jump on the Apple iTunes store bandwagon now.

The My Book drive does have its own external power source.

I don't like Sony Blu-Ray players because they never seem to have Xvid/Divx/MKV support.
post #146 of 1625 Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I don't like Sony Blu-Ray players because they never seem to have Xvid/Divx/MKV support.

My new Sony S570 plays .mkv files on cd and usb stick. I haven't tried Divx or Xvid.

...is you is, or is you ain't my constituency?
post #147 of 1625 Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM

I can confirm that it does play mkv files. I had my files in m4v format, not mkv. Returned the player last night. I think it is a good player, but the the wireless NIC in my unit kept dropping. I think that unit was defective. They didn't have any to exchange, so I'm back on the hunt. May just go with a PS3 once they get back into stock.
post #148 of 1625 Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM

hey guys, I just received one of these from US ...

it run everything that I tried but a movie Gladiator 720p DTS mkv, it said incompatible

it looked slow(fps problem I think) on a movie harry brown 480p xvid avi release by flawless, but I should test again, I didnt do any huge test yet

BUT I tried a LOT of xvid HD, xvid, mkv and all of them worked well besides these two, so, but I should test more

one problem!
I cant access files on my windows 7, I installed PC share, added the folders, but the samsung dont show anything besides some files that I suppose come with the windows

another pc with vista was identified but it didnt show anything, I didnt try to share and install the software in the vista, later I may do it ...

but, anyone can share some info on windows 7 and pc share?
post #149 of 1625 Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

Thinking about getting one of these as my first Blu Ray player.

I've read a couple of reviews (on Amazon) that mention that the player is noisy when a disk is spinning. Can any body comment/compare to other players etc?

Anybody using this with the 7.1 analog outputs. I intend to use these to my Amplifier as I don't have DTS HD and Dolby HD decoding.

Also, has anybody connected it using component? I read somewhere that you need to connect using composite first and switch the player to component otherwise you'll get no picture initially. Can someone confirm?

mark.

well, I tried a lot of movies (avi, mkv) that I recorded in a DVD-R, and I didnt hear anything, so, I think its fine

and the loading time of all the movies I tried was amazing

but I dont have any bluray to test it ...
post #150 of 1625 Old 03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltr0x View Post

hey guys, I just received one of these from US ...

it run everything that I tried but a movie Gladiator 720p DTS mkv, it said incompatible

it looked slow(fps problem I think) on a movie harry brown 480p xvid avi release by flawless, but I should test again, I didnt do any huge test yet

BUT I tried a LOT of xvid HD, xvid, mkv and all of them worked well besides these two, so, but I should test more

one problem!
I cant access files on my windows 7, I installed PC share, added the folders, but the samsung dont show anything besides some files that I suppose come with the windows

another pc with vista was identified but it didnt show anything, I didnt try to share and install the software in the vista, later I may do it ...

but, anyone can share some info on windows 7 and pc share?

I installed PC share (also on a Win 7 machine) and it doesn't show up on my C5500 (I do see WMP and Tversity, but I don't have WMP configured and it won't play any of my files on Tversity). Files I can access with EyeConnect on my Mac play just fine.

Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page