Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1624 Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings everyone. I could not find the "Dish Network" thread so i hope posting here will yield me some answers. My friend bought a 55-inch Samsung 3d led, and i got her the
6500. The guy from dish hooked up the 722k dvr to the 6500,and the 6500 to her tv.
From what she has been telling me (I am some 800 miles away), she has been losing
channels, channels freezing up. I am wondering if connection the dvr to the 6500 was a good decision. Those are the only 3 items in play (no receiver or speakers). She cannot get Direct due to location. Should she get a replacement dvr and connect straight to tv, and assign 6500 to different hdmi? They left her no manual to troubleshoot and she is yelling at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1624 Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

The guy from dish hooked up the 722k dvr to the 6500,and the 6500 to her tv.
From what she has been telling me (I am some 800 miles away), she has been losing channels, channels freezing up. I am wondering if connection the dvr to the 6500 was a good decision. Those are the only 3 items in play (no receiver or speakers). She cannot get Direct due to location. Should she get a replacement dvr and connect straight to tv, and assign 6500 to different hdmi? They left her no manual to troubleshoot and she is yelling at me.

It was never meant to be connected together; the Dish guy was a lazy ***, unless there was another reason. The 722 goes HDMI to the TV and separately so does the 6500, with its own HDMI. Problem solved, and assign different HDMI inputs on the Samsung TV. And since you're probably often doing this kind of long distance coaching, be sure to sign up on this other forum and thread: . http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107. That should do it.
post #1563 of 1624 Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks Barryaz1! This is what I've been telling her pretty much! Dish twit told her that it would be easier for her to switch from sat to blu-ray and visa versa. I knew he was full
of it. Now I just have to make sure she demands the correct connections when she gets
the new 722k. And thanks for other thread!
post #1564 of 1624 Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Now I just have to make sure she demands the correct connections when she gets
the new 722k. And thanks for other thread!

The only reason, I'm pretty sure, to get the k is to be able to use an OTA antenna. Is that her intention? If so, in order for the OTA stations to integrate into the program guide, she has to also have Dish's own local channels, too. Results in lots of choices, if that's what she wants. I love that, as I find I need the choices, and the OTA is noticibly sharper than the Dish locals. The main extra install is on the roof where the antenna gets together with the Dish and then near the box, where they get uncombined. Have her insist on an experienced installer. I once told one to leave and have them send someone else. Hopefully she has the nerve to do that - or maybe you should hvae a mini-vactition there.
post #1565 of 1624 Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM

She's in an apartment complex. When she first got her TV, I offered to buy her an indoor
antenna (she didn't want one). Whoever they send she's going to call me and have me talk to them. I already told her that there is a firmware update for the 6500. Looks like I will be going out there next month to double check everything. Thanks again.
post #1566 of 1624 Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

She's in an apartment complex. When she first got her TV, I offered to buy her an indoor
antenna (she didn't want one). Whoever they send she's going to call me and have me talk to them. I already told her that there is a firmware update for the 6500. Looks like I will be going out there next month to double check everything. Thanks again.

Aquastar,
Not to step on toes, but if you need good, solid info on Dish, go to:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/
This forum has the latest and best information on Dish and their products. All the members there are very knowledgeable and very helpful. They even have a special "DIRT" Team that are Dish employees who will help you with any problems with Dish. The DBST forum tends to be more of a DirecTV forum, which is fine for people who have DirecTV.
It's worth a look, believe me.
Good luck,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #1567 of 1624 Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Aquastar,
Not to step on toes, but if you need good, solid info on Dish, go to:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/
This forum has the latest and best information on Dish and their products. All the members there are very knowledgeable and very helpful. They even have a special "DIRT" Team that are Dish employees who will help you with any problems with Dish. The DBST forum tends to be more of a DirecTV forum, which is fine for people who have DirecTV.
It's worth a look, believe me.
Good luck,
Ghpr13

Thanks. I had forgotten about that one and just made sure my registration was current.
post #1568 of 1624 Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Again, I have the latest firmware 1025.1. I've tried entering the region hack. It's not working. Can somebody please tell me what to do exactly and whether it works with the latest firmware? Thanks.

I'm looking to Region 1 DVDs on a Region 2 player. The hack involving pressing REPEAT and entering 57538 +9 isn't working. I hear it's difficult to get it to work. Has the latest firmware blocked this code? Will someone please give me some advice?
post #1569 of 1624 Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Anyone having a problem with Rise of the planet of the apes on bluray? I tried to watch it last night and it hung up right at the beginning, on the 20th century fox intro. After hanging up, it seemed as if the player was searching repetetively, until I ejected the disc. I have the latest firmware, 1025.1.

You haven't been there... and you haven't done it.
post #1570 of 1624 Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Has anyone been able to stream music AND watch photo's in a slide show at the same time. I could have sworn I've done this in the past, and it could be that the latest firmware removed that capability
post #1571 of 1624 Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
rmf

Had a hangup @ the FBI warning on standard DVD Our Idiot Brother, but was able to reload, go to select chapters and select chapter one.
post #1572 of 1624 Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Can anyone confirm that the latest firmware updates do not somehow enable the "analog sunset" feature of disabling 1080i through component that occurred post Dec 2010.

I just ordered a refurbished C6500 as it allowed HD over component as my older projector does not have HDMI. Want to make sure to avoid firmware updates if they enable 480 over component only.
post #1573 of 1624 Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoza View Post

Can anyone confirm that the latest firmware updates do not somehow enable the "analog sunset" feature of disabling 1080i through component that occurred post Dec 2010.

That only applies to new models introduced after Dec 2010.
post #1574 of 1624 Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just ordered a refurbished C6500 as it allowed HD over component as my older projector does not have HDMI. Want to make sure to avoid firmware updates if they enable 480 over component only.

I have the latest firmware and mine still outputs 1080i over component.

post #1575 of 1624 Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks. Am I also correct in understanding that any upscaling of SD DVD's will not work over component?
post #1576 of 1624 Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Am I also correct in understanding that any upscaling of SD DVD's will not work over component?

Correct, for those new models subject to the industry agreement to kill analog loopholes.

Silly, I know. Your TV does the upscaling anyway, so this restriction is pointless. These agreements are drawn up by lawyers, not engineers. I'm sure they had an obscure legal reason for it.
post #1577 of 1624 Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Anyone else having issues with netflix playback since the most recent firmware?

It loads the menu fine.. but on first playback of a title while in a single "session" of netflix it takes a solid minute to start playing. It hasn't done this since I got it a year ago and nothing on the network has changed.

Currently running BSP-C6500WWB-1025.1
post #1578 of 1624 Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
rmf

Running the same version and no such problem. In fact, i used to have to wait for a minute or so to pick Netflix, or I would get a "You are not connected to the Network" message and it now seems to connect to my home network much faster.
post #1579 of 1624 Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datr View Post

Anyone else having issues with netflix playback since the most recent firmware?

It loads the menu fine.. but on first playback of a title while in a single "session" of netflix it takes a solid minute to start playing. It hasn't done this since I got it a year ago and nothing on the network has changed.

For me it loads the initial titles menu quickly, but then takes 30 sec - 1 minute to load the next step, e.g. title information or episodes list for TV titles. After the first one it's quicker. The load times have varied in the past. I can't remember if the current pattern started with firmware 1025, but I don't think so.
post #1580 of 1624 Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Anyone having trouble when the player is paused long enough to start the Samsung screensaver? I'm finding the player to be completely unresponsive to anything on the remote or the front panel at that point except for the POWER button. This seems to be recent and is occurring only with certain discs.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1581 of 1624 Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

In my experience if the screen saver comes up, when paused, I just push menu. Then the movie comes back on, paused, and I am able to press play and it starts. Give it a try next time.

Try this, it works for me.

post #1582 of 1624 Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Try this, it works for me.

If the Universal screensaver comes up, pressing MENU works. But this is the Samsung logo screensaver--MENU does nothing. Only POWER works. (which means reloading the BD from scratch).

post #1583 of 1624 Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM

so if you have a disc in the player when you power it on, it automatically loads? couldn't find a setting to turn this off.
it would be nice to power it on to watch netflix if I left a disc in it when I turned it off and not having to stop the loading of a disc.
post #1584 of 1624 Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Yes, it would be nice. Samsung didn't think of that. Actually all of the DVD and BD players I've ever owned work this way with movie discs. Even my Denon 3109 universal player does this with DVDs, but it doesn't do it with CDs.

post #1585 of 1624 Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

If the Universal screensaver comes up, pressing MENU works. But this is the Samsung logo screensaver--MENU does nothing. Only POWER works. (which means reloading the BD from scratch).

Works for me confused.gif. Sorry for the late response but if I press menu from either saver I don't have to turn off my player.

post #1586 of 1624 Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM

I have had mine for about a year now and my biggest problem is that i want to stream my home videos from a networked drive. Problem is, I always get a format not supported error. The video is shot with a Sony HDR-XR150 at it's highest settings. I have cyberlink media suite and Adobe Premiere cs6 so I know i have the right tools to do it with. I would also like to keep the best picture possible when converting.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1587 of 1624 Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What DLNA server software are you using, and what video file format does the Sony camera produce? Depending on the server software you are using, the best-supported formats are usually avi, mp4 (m4v) , and to a lesser extent mpeg for standard def . If you are shooting hd video, you will probably want to use the H.264 codec with whatever file format you choose. I usually convert my camera HD video to mp4 with H.264 video and AAC audio, and serve that to the Samsung player using either Serviio from Windows or the Twonky DLNA server on my NAS.
post #1588 of 1624 Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

What DLNA server software are you using, and what video file format does the Sony camera produce? Depending on the server software you are using, the best-supported formats are usually avi, mp4 (m4v) , and to a lesser extent mpeg for standard def . If you are shooting hd video, you will probably want to use the H.264 codec with whatever file format you choose. I usually convert my camera HD video to mp4 with H.264 video and AAC audio, and serve that to the Samsung player using either Serviio from Windows or the Twonky DLNA server on my NAS.

I'm using Samsung allshare as the server and the Sony produces 1080i/ H.264 , U have also tried Twonky as well. It just seems that the bd player has a mind of it's own and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. In the beginning i figured since it was an H.264 video there should be nothing needed to do.
post #1589 of 1624 Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It's probably more to do with the container file format than the video codec H.264. The DLNA server generally streams the encoded video to the client without touching it (unless it is re-encoding on the fly, which AllShare doesn't do), but it can be very dependent on the container file format. Sometimes the video creation software will change the container file format internally when you cross a certain size threshold, leading to the puzzling symptom of a file format that seems to work sometimes and not others. You didn't say what the container file format is (e.g., mp4, avi, mov, mkv, etc.), so I can't offer any specifics.

But in any case, you might want to try Serviio as a server. It generally does a good job with the Samsung Blu-Ray client, and it will re-encode on the fly if necessary, although you would need a very fast computer for that to work with HD video. Samsung's AllShare software is not one of the better DLNA servers.
post #1590 of 1624 Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 801
Hi guys.

We have a Samsung BD-C7900 (firmware has been upgraded) and my question is; should we buy an open box returned BD-E6500 for any technological upgrade/advancements; 2010 vs 2012 technology or is the BD-C7900 technology still current?

FYI:

The main purpose of the player is to play the occasional Blu-ray movie from the rental store for higher quality sound and video over that of cable provided video content. The BD-C7900 is installed on a shelf in the entertainment center and the BDP is connected to the receiver via a 10' long high speed, w/Ethernet, HDMI cable. All connections and switching are functional and without problem. WiFi is connected to a wireless router. There are no tech problems to report. My curiosity, to find out if we have need to upgrade or is what we're currently using, just fine?

confused.gif

-
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page