Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1624 Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rdn, here I can see my computer, and the public files, but I cant see the folders added thought the software

I will try to update the software, since I downloaded a 1.5 version, and it looks like it already is out a 2.3 version ... so, later I will say if this fix things up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 AM

I have had one of these players for a week and am very happy overall. I have been out of the loop for a while and am amazed at the new technology. Having movies stored on a HD and streamed to a player? Wow, I am going to look into that.

I do have one complaint so far, which appears to be shared by a few people: My player does not want to reconnect to my network after being shut off for a relatively long period. If I turn it off and back on within a few minutes (to do a reboot, stupid acuweather) it will find the connection and connect. If left overnight, it does not want to auto connect and I have to go through the network setup. Any ideas? I am guessing it is my router or some setting that I have incorrect.

One other beef in general... why is the industry changing aspect ratios, again? I am just getting everything in 16:9 and I play a blue ray movie and there are black bars on the bottom! I bought a widescreen TV, in part, to get rid of the bars. Oh well.

Thanks,
Ben
post #153 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 AM

I've not had a problem with wireless connectivity so far. Even if the player remains off for a long period of time, when I turn it back on it re-establishes the connect within ten to twenty seconds.

Movies come in two aspect ratios, so which one do you support in a TV size? Academy standard of 1.85:1 or anamorphic 2.35:1? 16:9 roughly translates to 1.85:1 and since that's the standard, that's what they picked. If you bought a 2.35:1 TV, then all those movies in the standard aspect ratio would leave black bars on the sides.
post #154 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Hey all,

I purchased the 5500 to replace my 2500 in my main movie area. I watched a SD movie last night on the 2500 and it looked great. Today I set-up the 5500 and watched the same SD movie on the same TV. The SD up-conversion on this player is HORRIBLE compared to the 2500!

I know that the 2500 has the Reon processor and it's an awesome processor, and that new players don't have it, but is the up-conversion on new players really this bad? Am I missing something in the settings?

I love my 2500 and there is nothing wrong with it (besides some glitches here and there, which hopefully will be addressed in a firmware upgrade), but I wanted to replace it with a new model because of all of the added features.

So I guess my question is: Does anybody have both of these players and are you experiencing the same thing? Is there some setting I am missing?

Thanks,
Sean
post #155 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM

I just got off the chat line with Samsung support and he claimed that I can not access my files over the network on a computer running Win 7. Said the only way to do it was with their PC Share Manager software, which is not compatible with Win 7. Is that true? Isn't it a DLNA device? Shouldn't it be able to see Windows Media Center if I have streaming enabled?
post #156 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

I just got off the chat line with Samsung support and he claimed that I can not access my files over the network on a computer running Win 7. Said the only way to do it was with their PC Share Manager software, which is not compatible with Win 7. Is that true? Isn't it a DLNA device? Shouldn't it be able to see Windows Media Center if I have streaming enabled?

Well that explains my problem with Win 7

I can see the files with Tversity, but I get the message "Not Supported File Format". If I access the very same file via file sharing on my Mac I can play it with EyeConnect. I see WMP, but haven't set that up to access files yet (I'll check that out).

Hopefully they will have a Win 7-compatible version of PC Share Manager soon!

Bob
post #157 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Well that explains my problem with Win 7

I can see the files with Tversity, but I get the message "Not Supported File Format". If I access the very same file via file sharing on my Mac I can play it with EyeConnect. I see WMP, but haven't set that up to access files yet (I'll check that out).

Hopefully they will have a Win 7-compatible version of PC Share Manager soon!

How could Samsung take a step backwards like that? One of the real benefits of Win 7 as I understand it is its easy implementation of DLNA. And then to drop the ball on getting their own server software ready for Win 7? Wow, maybe I should return this and get the LG.
post #158 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Does anyone know what the remote code is for the BD-C6500 for the Onkyo TX SR605 receiver remote? The codes listed with the Onkyo unit and on their website only list codes for regular DVD players, not any blue-rays. It should be a four digit code. I also have another set up using a Onkyo TX SR607. This does have remote codes listed for blue ray players, but they are five digit codes. They don't work with the 605 remote. I tried calling Onkyo (ha ha) and stayed on hold for about fifty minutes before getting dumped. Thanks.
post #159 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingaboard View Post

Accuweather would not allow me past the region select screen.

This happened to me also.

I'm not seeing Facebook or Twitter as an app as it claims in their ads.
post #160 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlaltdl View Post

I'm not seeing Facebook or Twitter as an app as it claims in their ads.

I'm thinking that stuff will eventually show up here:

ht tp://tv.samsungapps.com/us/index.html

(delete space)
post #161 of 1624 Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Guys Blockbuster is hanging at loading screen, any ideas?

I have it on my Widgets on the 650 but the interface is slow was hoping this maybe a fuller quicker interface.
post #162 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Is there a new FW? My unit cannot find any. Also my MKV files does not play. I have tried all type to no avail. It plays m2ts. Anyone having problems with MKV files? I had the LG 570 which plays all my MKV but the bluray disappoint.
post #163 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM

so what is the difference between bd-c6500 and bd-c5500? Is it just the built in wireless? Is their built in 1 gb for bd-live with 6500? If it is mostly similar, Op should include that in the title name since this appears to become the official thread of both of these devices.
post #164 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post

so what is the difference between bd-c6500 and bd-c5500? Is it just the built in wireless? Is their built in 1 gb for bd-live with 6500? If it is mostly similar, Op should include that in the title name since this appears to become the official thread of both of these devices.

The difference seems to be 7.1 analog audio and built-in WiFi in the 6500.
post #165 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little View Post

The difference seems to be 7.1 analog audio and built-in WiFi in the 6500.

Also...the 6500 has 1gb built in. The 5500 needs a flash drive attached for memory for BD Live.
post #166 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 05:22 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogus View Post

Also...the 6500 has 1gb built in. The 5500 needs a flash drive attached for memory for BD Live.

If you don't have the wi-fi dongle, the wireless LAN adapter port on the back panel can be used for a USB flash drive, which keeps it out of the way.

Bob
post #167 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj45 View Post

Hey all,

I purchased the 5500 to replace my 2500 in my main movie area. I watched a SD movie last night on the 2500 and it looked great. Today I set-up the 5500 and watched the same SD movie on the same TV. The SD up-conversion on this player is HORRIBLE compared to the 2500!

I know that the 2500 has the Reon processor and it's an awesome processor, and that new players don't have it, but is the up-conversion on new players really this bad? Am I missing something in the settings?

I love my 2500 and there is nothing wrong with it (besides some glitches here and there, which hopefully will be addressed in a firmware upgrade), but I wanted to replace it with a new model because of all of the added features.

So I guess my question is: Does anybody have both of these players and are you experiencing the same thing? Is there some setting I am missing?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean

I have two 2500's and I just purchased a BD-C5500C from Costco today. I have to say the 5500 looks as good or even bit better on than the 2500 on uprezed material. I tried Lion King and still framed a couple of times and the 2500 had just a hint of 'fringing' on high contrast images and the 5500 was perfect.

Overall, the 5500C is a BIG improvement (IMO) over the 2500. This new 'streamer' has Internet@TV capability: Youtube, Vudu, live connect to media files on local network computers. Blu-Ray disk loads are WAY-WAY faster than the 2500's. For instance.......... Up In The Air loaded in 1:27 on the 2500 and 0:44 on the C5500. Regular DVD's load in about half the time also. All in all a very nice "upgrade"......... even though I was pleased with how the 2500's were working.

What exactly, did you see that you didn't like on the 5500?

Edit: Does anyone know how to set youtube streaming to HD?

regards
JohnG
post #168 of 1624 Old 03-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogus View Post

Where does that come from?

From the Samsung site: Both units are BD 2.0 Profile.

From Wikipedia:
BD-Live:
The biggest difference between Bonus View and BD-Live is that BD-Live requires the Blu-ray Disc player to have an Internet connection to access Internet-based content. BD-Live features have included automatic firmware updates, transmission of all usage data to the manufacturers (including all BD-discs played), checking each time the device is switched on to see if it has been tampered with and report the same, Internet chats, scheduled chats with the director, Internet games, downloadable featurettes, downloadable quizzes, and downloadable movie trailers.[93][94][95] Note that while some Bonus View players may have an Ethernet port, these are used for firmware updates and are not used for Internet-based content.[citation needed] In addition, Profile 2.0 also requires more local storage in order to handle this content.
post #169 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

Where does that come from?

From the Samsung site: Both units are BD 2.0 Profile.

From Wikipedia:
BD-Live:
The biggest difference between Bonus View and BD-Live is that BD-Live requires the Blu-ray Disc player to have an Internet connection to access Internet-based content. BD-Live features have included automatic firmware updates, transmission of all usage data to the manufacturers (including all BD-discs played), checking each time the device is switched on to see if it has been tampered with and report the same, Internet chats, scheduled chats with the director, Internet games, downloadable featurettes, downloadable quizzes, and downloadable movie trailers.[93][94][95] Note that while some Bonus View players may have an Ethernet port, these are used for firmware updates and are not used for Internet-based content.[citation needed] In addition, Profile 2.0 also requires more local storage in order to handle this content.

Yes, but there is a setup option for this which is greyed out unless it has some USB flash storage installed. The 6500 can use its internal 1GB of flash. Presumably it is for storing the downloadable content.

Bob
post #170 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Hi Sean

I have two 2500's and I just purchased a BD-C5500C from Costco today. I have to say the 5500 looks as good or even bit better on than the 2500 on uprezed material. I tried Lion King and still framed a couple of times and the 2500 had just a hint of 'fringing' on high contrast images and the 5500 was perfect.

Overall, the 5500C is a BIG improvement (IMO) over the 2500. This new 'streamer' has Internet@TV capability: Youtube, Vudu, live connect to media files on local network computers. Blu-Ray disk loads are WAY-WAY faster than the 2500's. For instance.......... Up In The Air loaded in 1:27 on the 2500 and 0:44 on the C5500. Regular DVD's load in about half the time also. All in all a very nice "upgrade"......... even though I was pleased with how the 2500's were working.

What exactly, did you see that you didn't like on the 5500?

Edit: Does anyone know how to set youtube streaming to HD?

regards
JohnG

Thanks for replying John. I only tried comparing 1 movie on the two units. The movie was a burned copy of Funny People. When I watched the movie on the 2500 everything looked perfect. Almost HD. When I watched it on the 5500 there were horrible jaggies, the picture looked extremely fuzzy, and bright scenes (like when they were outside) just looked really strange, like almost too bright. Sorry I can't explain it better. Overall the picture on the 5500 looked like watching SD, while it looked damn near close to HD on the 2500.

I guess I could try watching a non burned movie on both and see if that is/was the issue.

Does anyone know an easy way on how to capture a screen shot off of both units? I think that would prove what I am seeing.

BTW, I love all of the features on the new player. I was hoping to move the 2500 to the second TV and use the 5500 as the primary. Almost everything about the 5500 is a huge improvement over the 2500, except for viewing HD. I am having a issue setting the region on the weather "channel" and viewing content from my Windows 7 computer (even though it does see the Vista computer).

Thanks again,
Sean
post #171 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Yes, but there is a setup option for this which is greyed out unless it has some USB flash storage installed. The 6500 can use its internal 1GB of flash. Presumably it is for storing the downloadable content.

Hi Bob

Can you please tell me the menu tree path to get to that setup option.

thanks
JohnG
post #172 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj45 View Post

Thanks for replying John. I only tried comparing 1 movie on the two units. The movie was a burned copy of Funny People. When I watched the movie on the 2500 everything looked perfect. Almost HD. When I watched it on the 5500 there were horrible jaggies, the picture looked extremely fuzzy, and bright scenes (like when they were outside) just looked really strange, like almost too bright. Sorry I can't explain it better. Overall the picture on the 5500 looked like watching SD, while it looked damn near close to HD on the 2500.

I guess I could try watching a non burned movie on both and see if that is/was the issue.

Does anyone know an easy way on how to capture a screen shot off of both units? I think that would prove what I am seeing.

BTW, I love all of the features on the new player. I was hoping to move the 2500 to the second TV and use the 5500 as the primary. Almost everything about the 5500 is a huge improvement over the 2500, except for viewing HD. I am having a issue setting the region on the weather "channel" and viewing content from my Windows 7 computer (even though it does see the Vista computer).

Thanks again,
Sean

Hi Sean

Wow, that really sounds like something is not setup correctly. I would suggest trying a commercial DVD. FWIW, I have my Sammy 5500 set to upconvert to 1080i.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think someone should start a new thread for Sammy Internet@TV issues/hints.

I have to say, with that clunky remote interface I have to wonder if I'll even use these extra features. ??? I suspect we are one or two gens away from a really seamless internet/file-sharing/TV experience. Hope I'm wrong on that................ but it sure smells like it to me right now.

cheers
JohnG
post #173 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well,

After reading all the pros/cons of this player I bought one anyway. haven't had chance to hook it up yet but notice that Samsung released an update today which seems to attempt to address a number of issues mentioned on here. Details:-

Ver.1008.1 MAR.15.2010
- Improve VUDU DD+ patch
- Improve specific BD Title''s playback capability
- Imporve MPEG file playback capability
- Improve Wi-Fi connection capability

Anybody had a chance to see if it fixes issues mentioned in this forum?

Mark.
post #174 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

For those of you who have tried using TVersity with no luck, I'm curious if you could please give PS3 Media Server a shot and let me (us) know how it goes? I use that without any issue with my PS3 (duh), but I'd like to get a MUCH quieter player for general use (even though I have the Slim, the fan is still far too noticeable on quieter scenes). PS3 Media Server does have a profile already for Samsung Wiselink... so I'm hoping it might detect this player without too much issue. Thanks (greatly) in advance if anyone gets the chance to try it out.

Definitely want to use the latest beta version:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=2&t=3217
post #175 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

For those of you who have tried using TVersity with no luck, I'm curious if you could please give PS3 Media Server a shot and let me (us) know how it goes? I use that without any issue with my PS3 (duh), but I'd like to get a MUCH quieter player for general use (even though I have the Slim, the fan is still far too noticeable on quieter scenes). PS3 Media Server does have a profile already for Samsung Wiselink... so I'm hoping it might detect this player without too much issue. Thanks (greatly) in advance if anyone gets the chance to try it out.

Definitely want to use the latest beta version:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=2&t=3217

I'd definitely be interested in this too.
post #176 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Upgraded to new firmware 1008.1 net net 4 steps forward and 3 steps back. netflix and blockbust audio now works, samsung apps have disappeared. Still can not use a generic DLNA server and Samsung PC manager is a kludge. Any body have any success using Samsung PC share manager and have any tips to share?
post #177 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Bob

Can you please tell me the menu tree path to get to that setup option.

thanks
JohnG

Settings -> System -> BD Data Management

While double checking this, my system got a firmware upgrade. I haven't checked to see what is different yet.

Bob
post #178 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Interesting, netflix sound started working for me last night and I haven't upgraded the firmware.

Support person, who I really didn't trust knew what he was talking about, was adamant that Samsung PC manager will not work with Windows 7. His only advice was to use a USB drive. Samsung's CS is a joke.

I'm just beginning to learn about DLNA, but I've read that you can use Windows Media Player "Play to" function to send media from the PC to the player. Of course, that's not the same as using the player to access and choose media files, is it?
post #179 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Just upgraded to the 1008.1 firmware. Accuweather actually works now. I was able to change from the default city (after scrolling past 44 pages of country names to get to "United States"--really, Samsung?) and from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Just for kicks, I tried a couple SD test files made with MakeMKV. Still no luck. I was able to convert one of these MKVs to MPEG, which the 6500 played fine. No FF/RW during playback, however.
post #180 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

I have the 5500 and can see all my files under Windows 7. I did have to go into Windows Media Center and check "Automatically allow devices to play my media" under the Steam menu in order for it to see them, though...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page