Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray Player------ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question. I have a C6500 player and my new Samsung LN40C630 should be here by next Monday. Since the blu-ray player has wifi, it should sense my Netgear signal and then can I run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the BD player to the LAN port on the tv, thus enabling a network connection for the tv? Basically the blu-ray player is now acting like a router or bridge.

I ask because I haven't opened up the Blu-ray player yet but from reading these postings maybe I can more easily stream movies/pictures from my pc directly to the tv instead of going through the blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

I updated PC Share Manager to version 2.3 and Tversity to the latest beta. Now the BD-C5500 will see the Share Manager (after I figured out how to enable sharing). It also sees (and will play from) Windows Media Player but it no longer sees Tversity.

Bob
post #183 of 1624 Old 03-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

Settings -> System -> BD Data Management

While double checking this, my system got a firmware upgrade. I haven't checked to see what is different yet.

Hi Bob

OK, I stuck a 1GB (freebee) USB stick in the back and now the BD data management screen indicates 999MB of memory.

While that change the way the player works?

**** Anyone know how to setup youtube to stream in 720HD? ****

thanks
JohnG
post #184 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

I updated PC Share Manager to version 2.3 and Tversity to the latest beta. Now the BD-C5500 will see the Share Manager (after I figured out how to enable sharing). It also sees (and will play from) Windows Media Player but it no longer sees Tversity.

Wonder if that will work for the 6500? Someone mentioned getting their 5500 to work with Windows Media Player, but I've enabled sharing (or think I have) and while the 6500 sees my computers, it can't find any media files. Now you've got PC Share Manager and Windows Media Player working on a 5500 (with Win 7 if I remember correctly). Is there some significant difference between the two models?
post #185 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Upgraded to the new firmware yesterday.

Was finally able to get the wired port to stay connected to the network to stream movies. WiFi connection still disconnects after a minute or so of playing. And, now it won't reconnect on it's own. Testing the connection speed while on WiFi shows 0kbs average even though it shows that it's able to access the internet with "network status". Testing the speed on wired shows 300kbs on a 12Mb connection - tests with PC confirm 10MB+ on the connection. I mean, come on, WiFi isn't a new technology here! GEEZ!

The streaming actually works using PC Share manager if the wired connection of the C6500 is used. I was streaming from a laptop that also was connected via WiFi. Because of power management on the laptop, the laptop had to be plugged into an A/C outlet or the connection will be lost.

Accuweather finally works.

"Network Interference" - their wording, appears when Samsung Apps is attempted.

I'm really confused as to why maintaining network connectivity is so hard for Samsung.

24 hours and still waiting for level 3 support to call me.
post #186 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM

I've had nothing but smooth wireless playback on the C6500. Watched a Netflix movie last night and it worked perfectly.
post #187 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginereality View Post

I've had nothing but smooth wireless playback on the C6500. Watched a Netflix movie last night and it worked perfectly.

Is your speedtest accurate when using wireless? Have you tried streaming from a PC over wireless?

I haven't tried netflix.
post #188 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM

After the update i have been able to watch about 5 movies no problem with the unit hardwired,, wireless i have not tryed yet, but will give it a shot ..wireless on netflix i never had a problem ..
post #189 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsittig View Post

Is your speedtest accurate when using wireless? Have you tried streaming from a PC over wireless?

I haven't tried netflix.

Good way to figure it out.
post #190 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM

I would say that if you are trying to stream from your laptop to your player all wirelessly, that could cause issues. A good router might be able to pull it off, but definitely not a cheaper one. You only have so much bandwidth in that wireless signal, and transmitting to a router and having that router process the signal and then transmit right back out again probably causes a significant speed drop.
post #191 of 1624 Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Has any one had any audio codec issues after installing the firmware upgrade? I had a couple of movies in the .h264/mp4 format that played fine before the firmware upgrade, but are now saying there is an incompatible audio codec and i get no sound. Thanks in advance for any replies.
post #192 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 AM

I'm going to be watching this thread for more reviews. I have this player at the top of my list to upgrade my Samsung BD-P1500. So far it looks like lots of teething issues, which is somewhat surprising. However, I really like the feature set for the price point. Especially if it comes down another $50 or so.

Chris G....
post #193 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsittig View Post

I haven't tried netflix.

FWIW, for my home DSL network, speedtest indicates 5.1Mb/sec and the Sammy test indicates 2.5Mb/sec when using a hard-wired to router interface.

Also, Netflix SD/HD streaming is working perfecto on my 5500. Still looking for a way to stream youtube HD content. No Vudu yet either.

ciao
JohnG
post #194 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 AM

Those are some nice numbers!
post #195 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM

I just went to the Internet@TV section on my 6500 last night and it added VUDU access, which is now at the top alongside Blockbuster, Netflix, and Pandora on the Home Screen.
post #196 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just went to the Internet@TV section on my 6500 last night and it added VUDU access, which is now at the top alongside Blockbuster, Netflix, and Pandora on the Home Screen.

Are you actually able to access Vudu? It has been on the screen of my 5500 for several days, but when I select it, I just get "coming soon".

Bob
post #197 of 1624 Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM

That I haven't tried, since I don't have a VUDU account.

I found some MKV files last night that give a "format not supported" type error and the only difference I can find between those that play and those that don't are a higher number of reference frames in their encoding. Files that still play have about 6-8 reference frames, while the ones that get the "format not supported" error have had 16.

I have managed to confirm that the stuttery MKV playback issue is due to multiple audio streams embedded within the MKV, regardless of whether these additional streams are OGG Vorbis audio (which is not supported by the player) or MP3 audio (which is supported). Switching to one of these additional audio streams makes the video run at normal speed, so I am assume that handling the primary 1500KBs DTS audio track takes up too much processing power when the unit is also trying to process additional audio tracks. I don't know if I have any Xvid files that also have multiple audio tracks, but I don't see why they wouldn't also be affected by this.

The C6500 can be somewhat noisy, but I have found that there is a high-pitched whine that occurs every 5-8 seconds as the disc is accessed while playing certain Blu-Rays (notably the James Bond "Thunderball" Blu-Ray). I have not noticed this phenomena on others, such as "The Thing" or "Watchmen". Outside of this, I find the noise level acceptable as it is mostly noisy when loading up the disc for the first time.
post #198 of 1624 Old 03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone got the Vudu application to work?
post #199 of 1624 Old 03-19-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just received a unit from Amazon. Initial setup, including WEP wireless setup. Upgraded software (I think .1 to .8) over the air, updated the Internet TV apps, and it works great (only streaming Netflix tried so far). Maybe early lots had more issues, but I'm surprisingly happy for $200.

So much nicer/more reliable than a 1600 I have (which may get replaced by a 6500 or 6900 REAL SOON).

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #200 of 1624 Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I have managed to confirm that the stuttery MKV playback issue is due to multiple audio streams embedded within the MKV, regardless of whether these additional streams are OGG Vorbis audio (which is not supported by the player) or MP3 audio (which is supported). Switching to one of these additional audio streams makes the video run at normal speed, so I am assume that handling the primary 1500KBs DTS audio track takes up too much processing power when the unit is also trying to process additional audio tracks. I don't know if I have any Xvid files that also have multiple audio tracks, but I don't see why they wouldn't also be affected by this.

I have a 5500 but yep similar problem - stuttery video on the one mkv I have that has two audio tracks... both are AC3, one original language and one is english dub - I can switch between them no problem, but video stays jittery.

[rant]This was for my favorite foreign language movie (huoyanjia/fearless) and unfortunately I borrowed a xbox hddvd drive to make matroskas from my hddvds, so I can't easily redo the mkv with just one audio track to be 100% sure. Besides, if I had to pick only one language only it'd be the original language and this player won't play the embedded subs (which work fine when played from my 5 year old cpu) and I don't understand Chinese so yeah blah blah Samsung needs to fix multiple audio tracks and subs. Luckily the hddvd I ripped it from has regular dvd on the other side, so I guess I could watch it from the player that way if I really need to, but damnit I finally bought a bd player and picked this one cuz I thought I'd be able to play my matroska hddvd rips on it, and dont wanna hook both players up at once due to space and wiring issues.[/rant]
post #201 of 1624 Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Has anyone got the Vudu application to work?

WOW.............. Vudu just went live on my Sammy 5500. Friday Mar 19!

ciao
JohnG
post #202 of 1624 Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

ciao
JohnG

On 6500 last night.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #203 of 1624 Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

ciao
JohnG

I got it this morning. Just for drills, I set up an account and they gave me $5.95 credit to try it out.

Bob
post #204 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 AM

I have had my 6500 for a couple of days and so far it has run flawlessly.

The wireless setup was as simple as can be. The streaming from my Apple Airport Express/24" iMac setup gives a very impressive picture on my Hitachi plasma. Some movies at first glance are indistinguishable from DVD. I'm very happy with the result as the main reason for replacing my 1500 is for the wireless Netflix streaming.

The network speed test on the 6500 gives a slower speed than what I get if I test it with my iMac. But, considering that I can also use my iMac to surf and stream at the same time, as I often do while watching Netflix on the iMac, I would say the speed test is probably not accurate and that I am in fact getting similar speeds as when I am watching Netflix with the iMac.

Blu-Ray performance, so far, seems identical to my 1500 which would be great as I have always been very happy with the picture quality on the 1500.

Unfortunately, DVD performance appears noticeably less detailed. The details also look a bit thicker and darker, if that makes any sense.

Overall, so far, I am happy with the 6500. For DVDs I may just go back to using my Toshiba HD-A2 as it is a bit better with DVDs than even the 1500 is. I was hoping to finally get rid of the Toshiba but, oh well.

I'll post again if my initial results/opinions change.
post #205 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Has anyone had any luck getting a Win 7 box to network with the 6500. I'm at the point where it seem both a WIndows Media Player and the newest version of the Samsung PC Share manager servers, but accessing files through either is flaky. Sometimes it sees the files, sometimes it doesn't. And in all cases, it drops the connection after a few minutes (I'm using a wired connection, not the wireless).

Streaming over Netflix, Vudu and Pandora all work flawlessly.
post #206 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I work on computers everyday but I will admit, when it comes to this network stuff, I'm very ignorant.

Yesterday I finished a couple of Ethernet runs in my house and got my 5500 hooked up. It immediately found the network and started updating the InternetTV. I got Netflix and Pandora up and running and with a 20MB connection, they both worked flawlessly. Now here is where my ignorance shows.....

My system is a Qewst VDSL modem that then runs to a small 5 port switch in my network panel and then distributed to any given room.

After turning the 5500 off, I turned it back on again and tried to go to NF and Pandora but the 5500 said no network connection is available. I unplugged the BD, then the switch, and finally the modem to no avail. Later that night, all worked flawlessly again. Any ideas from anyone?

This morning I thought I would just try to connect since the modem is on all the time even if the PC isn't. It didn't work, but when I turned the PC on, the 5500 went right to work. Does my computer have to be on for the 5500 to see the network?

Also, when ever I try to go to that Accuweather channel, my 5500 just freezes up and I have to power down. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #207 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Hi -- Just picked one of these up. So far, I've been happy, although I did notice one strange thing. When I select the Internet@TV icon the first time after powering the player up, I get the full list of widgets (youTube, Weather, etc). However, if I try to return to that same list by selecting the Internet@TV icon a second time, it shows a little "installing" graphic followed by a "starting" graphic and eventually times out without sending me to the full list of widgets.

Anyone else see anything like this? I'm using the built-in Wi-Fi with my wireless router.

Thanks,
Andrew
post #208 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 View Post

Has anyone had any luck getting a Win 7 box to network with the 6500. I'm at the point where it seem both a WIndows Media Player and the newest version of the Samsung PC Share manager servers, but accessing files through either is flaky. Sometimes it sees the files, sometimes it doesn't. And in all cases, it drops the connection after a few minutes (I'm using a wired connection, not the wireless).

Streaming over Netflix, Vudu and Pandora all work flawlessly.

I have had limited success with my 5500 and Win 7. I have streamed succesfully from Windows Media Player and had PC Share Manager work once, but now the player doesn't see it anymore. I have has no luck at all with Tversity, which works great with my Directv DVR. EyeConnect on my Mac does quite well with the 5500.

Bob
post #209 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Got my BD6500 along with a LN32C650 TV about a week ago, and everything works great. I was surprised at the load time. It was much faster than I thought it would be. I don't know if that's just the player, or if the movie I watched just had a simple menu. I think it's a bit of both. I haven't used any of the apps on it, because my TV has all the same stuff. It all works fine on my TV, though.
post #210 of 1624 Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 PM

new version of pc share manager 4.03, just downloaded it
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page