Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1625 Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi96 View Post

Np problems here with the firmware it came with ......1001. Sounds like you had a lemon.

Update:

I just tried to connect to Netflix and it asked me if I was a member and then I had to go through the activating process again. I have no idea if its the players fault or Netflix.

DVD picture quality: At first it appeared to me that the level of detail was better on my 1500 but going back and forth between the two players I've come to the conclusion that the level of sharpness out of the 6500 is a bit higher than the 1500. I can turn up the sharpness slightly on the tv and the picture appears the same. The black levels also appear higher/darker than the 1500, although I'm not to sure about that with Blu-Ray. I need to keep testing a bit more to draw any final conclusions.

Blu-Ray: Except for a slight difference in sharpness the picture between the 6500 and the 1500 look identical. Turning up the sharpness on the TV will match the two pictures without any negative effects.

On the audio side I can't comment because I just have the sound going through the TV.

One last thing. The touch sensitive controls on the player are not as convenient if you have small fingers, like women, as you have to cover the entire lit up portion before they respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1625 Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 PM

Hi all,
New to forum and just beginning the upgrade to my home video setup. The C6500 has been working well after some initial trial and error with inherent problems with connecting to a standard def TV. Realized that component cable connect from bluray to SD TV wouldn't work, switched to composite cable and internet content from Pandora and Netflix works fine. Sound is connected to Onkyo Home Theater receiver via 7.1, sounds great. PC Share is up and running with my windows XP, after initial trial and error regarding hitting right buttons at the right time. Can view photos and a variety of downloaded video files, although the file directory software of PC Share as it comes thru my SD TV is a bit "clunky" and confusing re: folder names and organization. Youtube content is not working correctly I think due to screen resolution issues with my SD TV ? Not sure abt this one yet, can select videos off Youtube and they start play for about 1 or 2 seconds then quit. I'm connected thru 1.5mps DSL wireless at home, prepared to connect hardwire but will wait til I purchase HD TV. Disc playing is fine with DVD's I've played.
thanks everybody for sharing your experience on this forum
tim
post #243 of 1625 Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer58 View Post

Hi all,
New to forum and just beginning the upgrade to my home video setup. The C6500 has been working well after some initial trial and error with inherent problems with connecting to a standard def TV. Realized that component cable connect from bluray to SD TV wouldn't work, switched to composite cable and internet content from Pandora and Netflix works fine.

Tim, I believe you can connect via component (and will get better quality than composite) but you must select 480p in the bdplayer's setup menu... not 720p or 1080i.

Also the directory structure remains intact with PC Share Manager 4.03! I thought it was really annoying with versions 1.52 and 2.33 that I tried earlier, and am MUCH happier with 4.03, so I suspect you're using one of the earlier versions too. Although this version took muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch longer to build it's database.
post #244 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Has anyone tried accessing DVD format files like vob files from an external drive on either the C5500 or C6500 models?

I regularly backup/archive my DVDs onto an external drive for preservation. Kids can be brutal with discs and buying 3 copies of Shrek taught me this lesson.
post #245 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoDog View Post

Has anyone tried accessing DVD format files like vob files from an external drive on either the C5500 or C6500 models?

I regularly backup/archive my DVDs onto an external drive for preservation. Kids can be brutal with discs and buying 3 copies of Shrek taught me this lesson.

I just tried viewing a vob from my Mac running EyeConnect and it works.

A new app, Rovi TV listings, was added to my C5500 today. I don't see much use for it.

Bob
post #246 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks, rdn. But I'm curious if the files can be played straight from the external drive without connecting to a computer for them. I know that vob files are not specifically listed on the supported file types, but generally if you can browse through file directories and select the inf file, you can play the entire movie. Just like using PowerDVD and accessing DVDs on harddrive.

If this does work, I'm ordering one immediately.
post #247 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 12:31 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, rdn. But I'm curious if the files can be played straight from the external drive without connecting to a computer for them. I know that vob files are not specifically listed on the supported file types, but generally if you can browse through file directories and select the inf file, you can play the entire movie. Just like using PowerDVD and accessing DVDs on harddrive.

I haven't tried that, but EyeConnect doesn't do any transcoding of video files, so I suspect that connecting the drive directly to the player would work.

Bob
post #248 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

I just tried viewing a vob from my Mac running EyeConnect and it works.

A new app, Rovi TV listings, was added to my C5500 today. I don't see much use for it.

Agree on the Rovi, but more interested in the DLNA vob playing. Has anyone played a vob from a Windows Home Server?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #249 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have it set at 480p. I use the component for disk viewing, but the internet content does this weird vertically split screen abnormality w/o composite. I downloaded 2.33 and it took a loooooonnnnngg time also, think I'll wait a while on download and shop for a HD tv in the meantime.
post #250 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Anyone else give this a vote for the worst remote EVER?
And as for Rovi listings, is there a use at all, I live in a city in the north east that happens to have one cable system with different channels selections (ie: city/suburbs) and it only gives one choice...lol..oh well...
post #251 of 1625 Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM

I have downloaded two different firmware updates on to a thumb drive and after following instructions to the letter, the upgrade hangs at 48% (for hours). Finally had to cancel by pulling the plug. Despite the warnings, it just asked if I want to about the install when I started it back up. I am wondering if there is an issue with my particular unit.

As it turns out, I used a wireless game box to connect to the net and downloaded and installed it that way with no issues.
post #252 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx View Post

I have downloaded two different firmware updates on to a thumb drive and after following instructions to the letter, the upgrade hangs at 48% (for hours). Finally had to cancel by pulling the plug. Despite the warnings, it just asked if I want to about the install when I started it back up. I am wondering if there is an issue with my particular unit.

As it turns out, I used a wireless game box to connect to the net and downloaded and installed it that way with no issues.

It's likely an "imperfect" USB memory key. Many of them have unnoticed errors that computers can tolerate just fine, but consumer electronics equipment do not have the smarts built in to deal with. I have found it be the case where 3 of 4 drives sometimes will not read 100% properly on my Denon or on my BD-Player, etc., but all of them pass disk checks on my computer and work fine.

Glad to hear the wireless update worked.
post #253 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 AM

I had the same exact issue on two different USB keys, finally the wireless update let me proceed and that worked fine.
post #254 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 AM

I watches a regular DVD last night, and was quite impressed with the quality of the up scaling. Though, it probably helps that I have a smaller screen (32 inches).
post #255 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Does anyone know a way to bookmark a place in a disk you're watching? I watch a lot of TV on DVD/BD and don't usually watch a whole disk at once. With my old DVD player I could hit power and it would turn off and be right where I left off when I turned it back on. Is there some function I'm missing that would let me do something similar?
post #256 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry for cross posting this but the 6500 thread gets more traffic than the 5500 thread.

Is anyone else willing to share their Internet@TV speed test results? I'm not at my BD player right now but it's under the settings of course.

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

I just "chatted" with a Samsung tech and they said I needed a minimum of 5.0Mbps to be able to stream HD.

I have a 7MB DSL connection through Qwest and that should be more than enough.

Anyone else?

Is there any way to improve that speed? I have a gigabit modem/router, a gigabit switch and am hardwired throughout my house.

Thanks,
Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #257 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I'm streaming from a USB HDD attached to the rear port of the C5500 as well as from a NAS device connected to my router. Both are accessed directly by the C5500 (well, the NAS goes through the router, obviously), without influence from a PC.

Note that the VOB I used for the following tests was created by DVD Decrypter, using the options to create a single VOB of the main movie, rather than multiple 1GB VOBs.

I copied the VOB to both devices. I also duplicated the VOB on each device, renaming the copies to .mpg.

From the C5500, when I select the USB drive, the VOB was not displayed as a selectable item, but the mpg file was there, and it played fine.

When I switched to the NAS, both the VOB and mpg files appeared, and both were playable.

I also copied the DVD structure (AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS) and the .iso (also created via DVD Decrypter) to both devices. These did not work.
post #258 of 1625 Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

Sorry for cross posting this but the 6500 thread gets more traffic than the 550 thread.

Is anyone else willing to share their Internet@TV speed test results? I'm not at my BD player right now but it's under the settings of course.

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

I just "chatted" with a Samsung tech and they said I needed a minimum of 5.0Mbps to be able to stream HD.

Anyone else?

Is there any way to improve that speed? I have a gigabit modem/router, a gigabit switch and am hardwired throughout my house.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, can you specify what it is that you are trying to stream? For instance, not all of the shows on Netflix are in HD.

Brian
post #259 of 1625 Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 AM

Hi all

I just got the BD C6500. Its a nice rig. It has everything. I'm happy but for the one fact I can not get the wifi to work. Ive updated my router and the BD c6500. I had to use the cat 6a hard line. Works fine like that. But Id like to get the wifi working. I have the Motorola sb6120, Netgear wndr3700.

Ive tried WEP, WPA, WPA2, G & N 2.5 & 5GHz bands. NO LUCK WITH ANY.

All my other wifi devices work fine.

@ this point, should I return the unit for another? I just bought it a couple days ago for by the way, $250 @ Best Buy. $25 less on the web.

Forgot to mention that the BD C6500 sees my routers SSID but it just cant hook up for some reason. ????
post #260 of 1625 Old 03-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Sorry for cross posting this but the 6500 thread gets more traffic than the 5500 thread.

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
Rob

I'm getting about 240-300 kilobytes/sec (kbps)

The numbers here can be confusing......

You are paying for 7.0 megabites per second(Mbps). Which is 7168 kilobites per second. Which then converts to 896 kilobytes (kbps). Remember it is rare to achieve this. Too many variables to list. But you should be somewhat close.

You lose a little thru put on a wireless but on average I've heard a 10% loss, so you should be seeing 800 kbps from your c6500 when you test. Call your subscriber if you feel you are not getting the speed you are paying for. Easy for them to test your line.

What does your c6500 tell you you are getting in Kbps? You did some converting to get 2.4 Mbps, what is the BD player saying?

A good site to test your speed is dslreports.com.
post #261 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
Rob

I'm not sure what is being measured here. Speedtest.net just measured 3.96 Mbps up, 0.46 Mbps down, whereas my 5500 shows 620 kbps. I can see where there might be some variation, but not 6X. Repeated tests have varied between 450 and 900 kbps. Setup is BD-C5500 hardwired to router which is hardwired to Clear 4G wireless modem.

Netflix normally streams fairly well, but I have had it occasionally reset the connection (sometimes the quality indicator shows "HD", but usually not). Streaming from a computer is flawless (except for the latest Tversity update--the 5500 no longer sees it).

Bob
post #262 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I had a 200 dollar giftcard from a local big box store that I had to use or lose......I have been reading about the 6500. I was really tempted by it because of the large feature set this player has. But honestly was hesitant to buy a Sammy as it seem their players seem a bit buggy. I had a choice of this or a Panny 85......some will criticize this decision, but I decided to try the Sammy as it has more features. If it was horribly buggy, I would return it. Well after messing around with this thing for a day or so, I have been VERY pleased. The setup was super easy. It connected to my Netgear router without any trouble at all. The Youtube and Pandora streaming apps works great. I watched a couple of BD's without any issues. Updated the firmware via the Wifi and it worked great. I need to mess around with the standard DVD's and Netflix today. So far I am tickled pink.
post #263 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Should my vudu service be working? Because it's not I still get the service unavailable screen.
post #264 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob

I get 5+ Mb/sec using Speedtest.net but only 2.5Mb/sec when testing with the Sammy. i.e. the Sammy is reporting a bogus low #.

I have NO problem streaming HD from netflix. Tastes great and it's way less filling.

cheers
JohnG
post #265 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveandrew View Post

Should my vudu service be working? Because it's not I still get the service unavailable screen.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?
post #266 of 1625 Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

I just did.. and verified that the firmware was loaded.

Internet@tv is updating now, we will see what will happen.

Ok apparently after the internet@tv update all is well. Sweet!!!

Edit: All this occurred after a total powerdown of the unit, And it didn't want to update the firmware through wireless it just kept restarting so i manually did it with a usb stick.
post #267 of 1625 Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Greetings,
I moved this from the 5500 thread.
Basically want to know what the recommended Ext Subwoofer In Setting on the AVR should be when used in conjunction with the BD-C6500. I know the LFE and Analog channel really isn't standardized amongst Manufacturers so you get varying results. I'm using a Denon AVR 3805 and can boost the EXT In by +5, +10, +15.

Other wise i will need to get a test disk and just SPL it.

Thanks,
Dan
post #268 of 1625 Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM

so .vob does not play from usb , but it will play rememed vob in mpeg files! right!!!!

but now 2 other quwestions
can you change the audio lang. (the bd390 you coud not change it it stuck on eng audio if 2 audos or more where able!)
and how about vob´s the are spletted in parts(vts_01_1.vob to vts_01_5.vob (like made by clone DVD)
will they play togher as 1 file without break or so and stay the lang.same or must i than change it into german after new part begins , or after brek!!!

(the lg bd390 had problems with it)
post #269 of 1625 Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Got the C6500 player last night. Bluray picture quality is excellent, dvd ditto. AVI-s are ok and MKV-s are awesome.

Wireless works fine via WRT160N router, WPA2. PC Share Manager (4.03) is a pain as it freezes on some files, mostly avi-s. Haven't figured out yet what's "wrong" with files.

MKV support is a hit and miss. Most of them work. Some don't. Some will have the player break out to the menu or to the next movie in the list. The player doesn't support multiple audio tracks, it just picks the first one. It doesn't support subtitle track at all, external sub-s work fine though.

OGG Vorbis isn't supported. Some MKV-s played choppy before I upgraded the firmware to 1009.1. No problem since.

MPG2 from my camcorder play just fine.

PC Share Manager is lame. When indexing, it also creates meta-data files for every video file (avi-s, mkv-s... but not mpg2-s for some reason, weird). Gotta find some other DNLA device/software.

Oh yeah, someone said something about component output not working. In my case it works fine... 1080i to Sony's 34" CRT. It worked fine since the first firmware 1002.5 then 1008.1 then 1009.1.

All in all, it's great, blu-ray renders beautifully but I still gotta keep my HTPC.
post #270 of 1625 Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Hi,

I, too, am looking for a 4 digit component code for the C6500 so that I can program a remote control. Anyone able to assist me with that?

Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C6500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page