Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #421 of 2916 Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I never used a flash drive on my S570 and never had a single problem streaming Netflix or other service at full quality. When I had the 460 everything also worked just fine without any flash drive. Netflix or Amazon don't use a byte on the external memory.

I concur. I tried streaming both with, and without the flash drive and I had no issues either way. I have yet to experience any of the jerkiness via Netflix streaming that others had issues with. So far everything with this player has been stable. I have played back about 4 BD movies and everything just seems to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2916 Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe as Milk View Post

I just bought a BX37 Blu-Ray last week and have been trying to figure out what does and doesn't work. Today, I was able to install the firmware upgrade, and didn't want to make any comments until after the update. Here's what I notice so far:

I've a freshly burned DVD-DL that plays on three computers, two of which are Macs. The DVD doesn't play on the Sony.

.avi and .mkv files do not play on the machine. I've got a whole library of .avi files from a video camera that don't play when transferred to a flash USB stick. Only .mp4 files play.

The standard DVDs play and I tried a bd, and it played. The fact is, bd isn't that popular yet, and may never be. The DVD player that I just packed in the garage was a standard DVD that now retails for about 35 bucks. The new Sony does just about as much as the low-end player and costs over a hundred dollars more. Not much of a deal for the consumer, considering that all of the bells and whistles don't work.

I am trying not to treat this as a troll post..

Sony is supposed to add DNLA support in the future (I believe July?) for this player and hopefully it resolves some of your playback issues.

Aside from that, you do have an HDTV, correct? The whole point of Blu-Ray is the playback of high definition movies. Blu-Ray players support advanced video codecs (AVC, VC-1), advanced audio codecs (DTS-HD-MA, Dolby TrueHD), advanced extras, streaming video and music online, DVD upconversion, etc. This player is a like a swiss army knife. If all you were looking for was a playback device to play video files off your computer, you probably should go in another direction. If you have no plans to actually watch Blu-Ray movies, you should probably get your moiney back. I really just don't understand what you were expecting here.
post #423 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the photo load from a CD or thumb drive reasonably fast for a slide show on the 370/470?

Mike

post #424 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Depends on the size of the photo. Big pics, 4-5 mbs will go slow. Reducing the photo size moves it right along.
post #425 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Thinking of getting the S370 at Costco(BX37) but I wanted to know if this is an improvement over the S360(BX2) player as far as load times, etc?
post #426 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontoGoldstein View Post

Thinking of getting the S370 at Costco(BX37) but I wanted to know if this is an improvement over the S360(BX2) player as far as load times, etc?

Without forcing you to read this whole thread I believe the consensus is that it has significantly faster loading times but if DVD upconversion is really important to you then the 370 is not as good as the 360 or pretty much any other player out there in this price range. Alot think that the older upconvert DVD players have better PQ.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE
post #427 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3777 View Post

Depends on the size of the photo. Big pics, 4-5 mbs will go slow. Reducing the photo size moves it right along.

Thanks for the info. I try to keep the files around 2Meg. I bought a 570 today so I will find out for myself tonight.

Mike
post #428 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM

i was looking at getting the 370 until I found out Sony seems to think it is ok to gouge Canadians, this bluray player is 179 in the states, and 249 in canada, the 470 is 199 US 299 in Canada.

not sure why sony likes to do this, not the first time, and of course they wont let you order from Sony.com from Canada, I am stuck. Only choice is to drive over the boarder and pick one up but warranty is then void.
post #429 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

If anyone is interested, the upload speed with JPEG's is great with the 570 and the slide show adjustments are perfect.

Mike
post #430 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

i was looking at getting the 370 until I found out Sony seems to think it is ok to gouge Canadians, this bluray player is 179 in the states, and 249 in canada, the 470 is 199 US 299 in Canada.

not sure why sony likes to do this, not the first time, and of course they wont let you order from Sony.com from Canada, I am stuck. Only choice is to drive over the boarder and pick one up but warranty is then void.

While I agree the premium is a bit high, I think your Canadian has at least one feature our US models don't, Divx playback, if that's important to you. At least that was the way it always with Sony DVD players, the US models didn't support Divx while the Canadian(while more expensive) did. Otherwise they were almost identical to their US counterpart.
I'd agree with Steve1022 on all points + if you want a smaller profile the 370 is basically the same size as a DVD player, not fat like the x60 series. If being able to display remaining time is important to you, you'll want to stick to your 360.
post #431 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobx View Post

I ordered one from Amazon for $157, had it shipped to a border town in the US and will have it this coming weekend. Screw the huge difference in price!
post #432 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when streaming something like Netflix from either your Sony 370 Bluray player or your new Sony 55HX701 tv, if we were to connect the tv to the AV receiver (like the Onkyo 807) via Optical audio cable, will the resulting sound be 5.1? or merely 2.0?

if the answer when streaming through the TV is merely 2.0, then wouldn't it make sense to stream Netflix via the Sony 370 Bluray player's streaming capabilities, rather than the tv's streaming/networking capabilities, assuming they both have Netflix, and other services? The reason being the Bluray player is connected as a "source" to the AV receiver via HDMI, so the sound will definitely be 5.1.

anyone with experience with this?

thx in advance!
post #433 of 2916 Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

when streaming something like Netflix from either your Sony 370 Bluray player or your new Sony 55HX701 tv, if we were to connect the tv to the AV receiver (like the Onkyo 807) via Optical audio cable, will the resulting sound be 5.1? or merely 2.0?

if the answer when streaming through the TV is merely 2.0, then wouldn't it make sense to stream Netflix via the Sony 370 Bluray player's streaming capabilities, rather than the tv's streaming/networking capabilities, assuming they both have Netflix, and other services? The reason being the Bluray player is connected as a "source" to the AV receiver via HDMI, so the sound will definitely be 5.1.

anyone with experience with this?

thx in advance!

Netflix is always 2.0, they have plans to go 5.1 but so far only stereo. Amazon has few titles with 5.1 and the S370 will play 5.1. Not sure about the TV , my Panasonic plasma has Amazon but only outputs 2.0.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #434 of 2916 Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Connected my 370 to my Onkyo 807 receiver via HDMI 1.3. ONLY can receive PCM on receiver.

Double checked 370's set up menu: only options were: Auto or PCM.

How do I get bitstream so I get all the benefits of my Onkyo 807's decoding functionalities?
post #435 of 2916 Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Connected my 370 to my Onkyo 807 receiver via HDMI 1.3. ONLY can receive PCM on receiver.

Double checked 370's set up menu: only options were: Auto or PCM.

How do I get bitstream so I get all the benefits of my Onkyo 807's decoding functionalities?

You didn't say what you were trying to play, bluray/DVD or streaming video ? If the later, PCM is normal. For BD/DVD if you set HDMI AUDIO to "auto" the receiver should show the audio format selected from the disk (DD.DTS,DTS-HD,True-HD).

I was so happy without HDR...
post #436 of 2916 Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

You didn't say what you were trying to play, bluray/DVD or streaming video ? If the later, PCM is normal. For BD/DVD if you set HDMI AUDIO to "auto" the receiver should show the audio format selected from the disk (DD.DTS,DTS-HD,True-HD).

actually, post #125 has the answer.

it's not the "auto" part, oddly.

it's the BD Audio Mix to "NO". that did it.

it's really strange that it's so hidden.

from 'spyfy', thx, btw! please see what he wrote:

"Try this. Will enable the player to bitstream the audio.

I figured the PCM issue out. Instead of an option for Direct you just turn the "Mix" option to off and it sends the audio out to the receiver to decode. It's under Audio Settings-BD Audio MIX Setting. Options are On/Off. Set to off."
post #437 of 2916 Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM

My HDMI cable arrived yesterday, so I connected my S370 to my receiver (VSX-23TXH). I went through the basic setting in the S370 outlined in this thread. I haven't watched a DVD or used Netflix yet, but I have used some of the other streaming options and watched a few BD's. My display is an Epson 705HD projector. I've had NO HDMI issues with this combination either with handshakes or HD audio - it's being processed by my receiver and showing up as the correct format (DTS-HD Master, DTS, Dolby Digital, etc). I'm very impressed with the S370 so far. It's the first BD player I've used and it's very intuitive (menu structure) and fast based on comments I've read about slow BD players. The main reason I posted this was from reading all the issues people have with HDMI and BD in general (discs not reading correctly, locking up, etc) to show a combination of components that work well together.
post #438 of 2916 Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the Sony 360 for a year now and love it. 100% reliable machine. But I'm ready to add another player so I can relocate the 360 to the bedroom. I may opt for the 470 just for the 3D future proof. I'm surprised Amazon still isn't selling the 370 or 470 yet. Also, I know I remembered seeing the 370 on Bestbuy.com, but now it's completely removed.
post #439 of 2916 Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

anyone have a recommendation for a wireless connection to the s370?
I have a wireless router with no available physical connections.
post #440 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 AM

fyi all,

After a lot of checking, I found out that the internet content for the sonyinternet tv is country releated, they filter the content based on your IP...

So living is the US you really get a lot of content, living like me here in Europe (except UK) you have very limited content and no Netflix / LoveFilm like stuff ......

Hope that this can be fixed somehow since I simply feel it is not fair.

fyi, a new radio services is now available in EU .... update your list

Have a nice weekend
post #441 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

it's not the "auto" part, oddly.

it's the BD Audio Mix to "NO". that did it.

It's both settings, operating together. You must have HDMI Audio set to Auto and Mix set to Off.

When Mix is turned on, the player must decode the soundtrack in order to run the PCM through a mixer to add in secondary audio (menu clicks and PIP commentaries).
post #442 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badway View Post

fyi, a new radio services is now available in EU .... update your list

may i ask how one would "update our list"? thx.
post #443 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

It's both settings, operating together. You must have HDMI Audio set to Auto and Mix set to Off.

When Mix is turned on, the player must decode the soundtrack in order to run the PCM through a mixer to add in secondary audio (menu clicks and PIP commentaries).

i'm totally new to blurays, so pardon my ignorance...

what is the advantage to using "Mix" turned On? what are the benefits of decoding the soundtrack in the bluray player, running the PCM through a mixer, and adding in a secondary audio? i have never before owned a bluray player so i'm not even sure what you mean. thx again.

oh, additionally, i was told by a friend that it is crucial, for the best possible sound, that if one were to have a good receiver, i.e. my Onkyo 807, that one uses the Mix "No" option (plus the HDMI Audio set to Auto), because that way, the 370 outputs the untouched bitstream to the receiver. According to him, this would allow the 807 Onkyo receiver to receiver the purest form of the audio tracks, be able to process it using the RECEIVER's superior audio processing algorithms/powers, and allow us maximum options of audio output.

May i ask if you guys agree with that, or, do you guys feel that it is equally good, or maybe even better, if the audio processing were to be done "in bluray player", i.e. ask the bluray player to output PCM?

The Sony 370's nomenclature vis-a-vis "bitstream output" is very confusing to me. Why won't there be simply an output option called: "Output: Bitstream" and another "Output: PCM"?
post #444 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:

may i ask how one would "update our list"? thx.

you need to move to one of the internet content and then click options and you will see update list, or also which was the case for me in the begining, go to the setting and then resetting clear you internet content and then click on update internet content, hope this helps
post #445 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

i'm totally new to blurays, so pardon my ignorance...

what is the advantage to using "Mix" turned On? what are the benefits of decoding the soundtrack in the bluray player, running the PCM through a mixer, and adding in a secondary audio? i have never before owned a bluray player so i'm not even sure what you mean. thx again.

Secondary audio is not part of the movie soundtrack. If you want to hear it, it must be mixed in by the player. Secondary audio is not included in the lossless bitstream. Again, secondary audio is sound effects for disc menus and the audio for PIP commentaries.

Quote:

oh, additionally, i was told by a friend that it is crucial, for the best possible sound, that if one were to have a good receiver, i.e. my Onkyo 807, that one uses the Mix "No" option (plus the HDMI Audio set to Auto), because that way, the 370 outputs the untouched bitstream to the receiver. According to him, this would allow the 807 Onkyo receiver to receiver the purest form of the audio tracks, be able to process it using the RECEIVER's superior audio processing algorithms/powers, and allow us maximum options of audio output.

May i ask if you guys agree with that, or, do you guys feel that it is equally good, or maybe even better, if the audio processing were to be done "in bluray player", i.e. ask the bluray player to output PCM?

Your friend doesn't quite understand how things work. TrueHD and dts-MA are really just zip files used to compress PCM and save space on the disc. Decoding unzips the file, turning it back into PCM. It doesn't matter where the unzipping takes place. You get the same PCM either way. No matter where the file is decoded, your AVR handles all processing. In fact, player decoding is better with some receivers that lack the processing power to decode dts-MA and apply Audyssey.

But, there's a caveat with the Mix setting. Many players cannot decode dts-MA and mix secondary audio. So they use the lossy DTS core track instead.

So, if you set HDMI to PCM and Mix to Off, you will get the same lossless audio as you get bitstreaming to your Onkyo for decoding. The Onkyo does all of the processing either way. If you set Mix to On, you'll get lossless TrueHD because the player can decode the TrueHD track when mixing in secondary audio. But, with the Mix setting, you will get the lossy DTS core instead of lossless dts-MA.

Quote:

The Sony 370's nomenclature vis-a-vis "bitstream output" is very confusing to me. Why won't there be simply an output option called: "Output: Bitstream" and another "Output: PCM"?

Many players do just that. Sony chose a different approach where the HDMI handshake between player and receiver determines whether the player bitstreams or decodes.
post #446 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM

News Flash! Pandora music has been added!
post #447 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

I have the Sony 360 for a year now and love it. 100% reliable machine. But I'm ready to add another player so I can relocate the 360 to the bedroom. I may opt for the 470 just for the 3D future proof. I'm surprised Amazon still isn't selling the 370 or 470 yet. Also, I know I remembered seeing the 370 on Bestbuy.com, but now it's completely removed.

I saw it there too, and I was in a Bust Buy yesterday and they had it on hand.
post #448 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskibum View Post

AWESOME!

Denon AVR-S900W
Polk Audio RC85i Fonts
Polk Audio 255C-RT Center
Polk Audio RC60i Rears
ED A3-250 Sub
Dayton Audio SUB-1500
post #449 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by badway View Post

you need to move to one of the internet content and then click options and you will see update list, or also which was the case for me in the begining, go to the setting and then resetting clear you internet content and then click on update internet content, hope this helps

Hi badway, I'm from E.U. me too .

I have a question: did you check if the BDP-S370 is able to play the MKV files? I own this player me too, but I'm not expert on that thing. I tried many DivX and it works fine, but not success with MKV (I have only 3-4 in total).

Thank you in advance.
post #450 of 2916 Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskibum View Post

Sweet, now if we can get DLNA up and going and VUDU would be nice too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page