Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2849 Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a question. I am looking into buying my first blu-ray player. I will not need a 3d player because my TV is not. I have a Sony 46" LCD - KDL-46z5100. I won't future proof the blu-ray player since this tv and the new player will always stay together.

From here I have been looking into the sony bdp-s360. It looks as though I can get this player cheaper because the 370 has just been released. The only difference I can see between these two players is the internet connectivity. My TV connects to the internet and i get streaming netflix and slacker radio etc.

Question is. Is there something that the 370 has such as upscaling, audio decoding, or something else that would make the 370 a better buy? Or can i get the great discount on a 360 since I get the internet streaming on my tv.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2849 Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone seen this subtitle behavior? I reported this to Sony as a bug.

Firmware version 473: Player is not displaying subtitles properly. The player is not detecting the end of a subtitle and only stops displaying a subtitle when another subtitle is encountered (the subtitle momentarily blinks at the point it is expected to end, but continues displaying). Material is on a DVD+R disc created using Sony DVD Architect v4.5. The problem is not limited to a single disc, and subtitles work properly in other players.

It tested a commercial (pressed) DVD movie and the subtitles seem to turn off properly, so it appears to be specific to the DVD+R discs authored by Sony DVD Architect
post #453 of 2849 Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just ordered a 370 directly from Sony for $160.00 shipped during one of its "reverse auctions". This will be my first Blu-ray player....yeah!

post #454 of 2849 Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

I just ordered a 370 directly from Sony for $160.00 shipped during one of its "reverse auctions". This will be my first Blu-ray player....yeah!

Congrats! This is my 5th BD player and it is a solid one. Very fast and responsive, reliable, streams well, and offers a small profile. Enjoy.
post #455 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Thinking about getting the 370. Can connect directly to home network (wired).

Read that the BD Remote iphone/ipod app can work as a remote control.

Will this work if the 370 is wired to a Verizon access point (which provides wireless access?) In other words - will the Verizon router wireless allow the iphone to connect to the wired 370? Or do you have to have wireless access directly on the 370? Thanks!
post #456 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddavid View Post

Thinking about getting the 370. Can connect directly to home network (wired).

Read that the BD Remote iphone/ipod app can work as a remote control.

Will this work if the 370 is wired to a Verizon access point (which provides wireless access?) In other words - will the Verizon router wireless allow the iphone to connect to the wired 370? Or do you have to have wireless access directly on the 370? Thanks!

You just need to be on the same network, in your case it should work just fine.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #457 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM

thanks!
post #458 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Does anyone else have any issues fast-forwarding or resuming with Netflix? I have a BDP-S470 and when I try to skip ahead or back, I just get the message 'Feature Not Available'. And when I select to resume a title, it just starts at the beginning. Pretty frustrating. Also, I am on firmware 473
post #459 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrhino View Post

Does anyone else have any issues fast-forwarding or resuming with Netflix? I have a BDP-S470 and when I try to skip ahead or back, I just get the message 'Feature Not Available'. And when I select to resume a title, it just starts at the beginning. Pretty frustrating. Also, I am on firmware 473

Haven't been able to FF, but I have been able to resume with NF.
post #460 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Resume works fine. FF also works but you don't know "where you are".

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #461 of 2849 Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrhino View Post

My 370 on the latest firmware does not do this, and I have watched almost 2 full seasons of "The Office" via Netflix with constant pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding. One time I had a glitch where an episode started to play and then went back to the main menu. But I'll bet I have streamed 60+ TV shows now with just that one issue (and it was a minor one).
post #462 of 2849 Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Picked one up at Costo today (BDP-BX37). No problem setting up and configuring Harmony remote.
post #463 of 2849 Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM

yesterday Pandora just randomly showed up on my BX37.... Woooo Hoooo

It was odd, no update or download, it was just there.
Not complaining though, I thought I had to wait until July.

Good news!
post #464 of 2849 Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

i love Pandora. i found out that, sadly, the "device use", i.e. a receiver is considered as a device, as opposed to a PC, is only at 128 bit rate. ONLY if one were to pay $36/year (which is a good deal anyway) for Pandora One service (ONLY on a computer, NOT on a "device" such as a receiver), would one get 192 bit rate.

this puts a damper on things for me. as it is, Pandora on my Onkyo 807 receiver or my 370 sony bluray or my sony tv would all be considered as "devices", and as such, merely at 128 bit rate. this can only be, for me (and i'm only speaking for myself), used for background type of music.

what a bummer. i'd love to be able to use Pandora much much more.
post #465 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Hi badway, I'm from E.U. me too .

I have a question: did you check if the BDP-S370 is able to play the MKV files? I own this player me too, but I'm not expert on that thing. I tried many DivX and it works fine, but not success with MKV (I have only 3-4 in total).

Thank you in advance.

Mauri,

I only tried myself 2 files that I have and they didn't seem to work some people already complianed on the .mkv format, but i beleive that the codec used for encoding is the issue, I'll give a try my self in 2 weeks when i come back, will keep you informed.

Enjoy ur box...
post #466 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
badway,
thanks for replying.

In the meantime I have found a thread on this player, where some people says the MKV works, but it seems there is a bug with a codec when it is used the weightp=2 encoded (H.264). Here is: http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

it seems the bug is the same of the LG BD370, which was solved some days ago with a firmware update. Unfortunately I'm not expert on these MKV things

BTW, today I got my hands on the S360 service manual, and I was (finally) able to know what processor it uses. It is the NEC Emma3PF MC-10121, and here you can read its specs: Link. As soon as I'll find the S370 SM, I'll know if the processor is the same, and so we will know if the upscaling performances are the same of the S360
post #467 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Mauri,

thanks for the info, keep me posted if you have any details, I'll do the same.
post #468 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, of course.

That thread is on a german forum, so I think you will have no problems to ask them about the MKV compatibility. I don't speak german, so I use google online translator to read it
post #469 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg2027 View Post

Question is. Is there something that the 370 has such as upscaling, audio decoding, or something else that would make the 370 a better buy?

It is much faster at loading discs than the 360.

-- Greg

post #470 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

the loading time of the 370 really is very fast - a good thing!

the audio options are very confusing for me. that is, that "mix" option and the HDMI "auto" vs PCM is also confusing. if they had only used simply: "bitstream" or "PCM", then i'd get it. but "mix" yes or no gave me pause and i had to thoroughly think it through before i understood what they meant - with the help of very helpful posters here!
post #471 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Very happy with the price I paid at Costco, especially since it includes an HDMI cable, and their lifetime return policy.

I wanted a 2nd player, so I went this route as well. That lifetime return policy is tough to beat.
post #472 of 2849 Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Netflix up and running. I think I usually get around 7mbps on my internet speed. Playback is fine and looks as good as Xbox Live's streaming quality. Live, however, is a bit smoother in terms of navigation. When you use forward or reverse, it seems to work much faster than this unit. But it's not a big deal.
post #473 of 2849 Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

the loading time of the 370 really is very fast - a good thing!

the audio options are very confusing for me. that is, that "mix" option and the HDMI "auto" vs PCM is also confusing. if they had only used simply: "bitstream" or "PCM", then i'd get it. but "mix" yes or no gave me pause and i had to thoroughly think it through before i understood what they meant - with the help of very helpful posters here!

Yeah, glad I had noticed a couple of the helpful posts on that issue when I set up my new 370 last night. Had a few other things going on last night, so I couldn't put a lot of time into watching movies, but it made it past the problem spots I was having with my samsung 1600. Definitely seems more quiet and is a hell of a lot faster, too!
post #474 of 2849 Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Problem with Audio playing BD with BX37 and an 'older' B&K receiver (connected via Optical). SD DVD's in Dolby 5.1 and DTS work fine. Receiver can decode these formats.

Playing a BD - in Dolby 5.1 TrueHD or DTSHD - I get no sound - not a surprise since the reciever can't decode these formats. If I switch the Sony to Downmix PCM - all I get is Stereo sound . I thought using the optical out was supposed to output 'regular' Dolby 5.1 or DTS (for backwards compatiblilty).

Is there any way to get the Sony to downmix to Dolby 5.1 or DTS for Bluray disks? If not, does any Bluray player do this?

Thanks
post #475 of 2849 Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

i have a B&K in my living room set up as well and paid dearly for it around 4 years ago. that said, of course, i am reluctant to "let it go".

recently, i'm putting together a bedroom home theater set up. i got an Onkyo 807 receiver. despite its own miscellaneous issues with the Onkyo (the are sundry issues, not major ones), the fact that in the last 4 years or so, Audyssey has entered, allowing far better computer-analyzed room equalization, i feel that there's no comparison with what I had to go through for hours and hours on end when i set up the B&K 4 years ago with my trusty Radio Shack analog sound meter. that entire process 4 years ago now feels entirely quaint, and worse yet, entirely tiresome in contrast to the spiffy new Audyssey in the new Onkyo.

my suggestion is, at least to consider, getting rid of the B&K and getting the new Onkyo 2010 model 608 at an exceptionally good price (please see the Onkyo 608 thread vis-a-vis these good deals as price discussion per se are forbidden here). for a small amount, you will not encounter the issues you had mentioned in your post above.

of course, this suggestion might not sound appetizing to you at all as both of us paid a dear sum for our B&K's!! Yet, after my recent experience with my new Onkyo for my bedroom, alas, it's a brave new world now in home theater with Audyssey. It just ain't the same anymore.
post #476 of 2849 Old 04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddavid View Post

Problem with Audio playing BD with BX37 and an 'older' B&K receiver (connected via Optical). SD DVD's in Dolby 5.1 and DTS work fine. Receiver can decode these formats.

Playing a BD - in Dolby 5.1 TrueHD or DTSHD - I get no sound - not a surprise since the reciever can't decode these formats. If I switch the Sony to Downmix PCM - all I get is Stereo sound . I thought using the optical out was supposed to output 'regular' Dolby 5.1 or DTS (for backwards compatiblilty).

Is there any way to get the Sony to downmix to Dolby 5.1 or DTS for Bluray disks? If not, does any Bluray player do this?

Thanks

Check the "BD Audio Mix" setting. I pretty sure it should be set to OFF when using the S/PDIF output.
post #477 of 2849 Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I did set the BD Mix option to 'Off', but still no sound.

I was looking at another preamp - the Integra DHC 40.1 to go with the megawatt B&K amp I have. However the Onkyo 608 looks nice - and half the price. Sure is hard 'downsizing'...

Maybe I'll sell the B&K amp and pay for an Onkyo 807 receiver!
post #478 of 2849 Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM

If you're used to big power, the 608 probably won't be what you're looking for. Could always bump up to the 708 since it has pre outs.
post #479 of 2849 Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 AM

This is a cross post with the S570 group....apologies.... I got a couple good ideas, but nothing has yet worked to solve my issue.

I have a BDP-S570, updated to the very latest firmware a couple days ago.

My situation is that I am attempting to register with Sony Style in order to pick up Netflix/Amazon/Pandora etc.

Part of the registration process is to enter an Authorization Code. This code is supposedly generated by the Home > Network > Activate Advanced Features process.

My problem is that when I run the Activate Advanced Features process I get a very nice 'success' message, but NO code is displayed. I have attached a picture.

I have tried an email correspondence with Sony support: Result = useless.
I have tried resetting the device back to factory, unplugging, etc and then rerunning the Activate Advanced Features: Result = same thing... no code.
I have searched for a similar problem.... Result = nothing

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most appreciative.

JW
LL

JWhite
post #480 of 2849 Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV View Post

If you're used to big power, the 608 probably won't be what you're looking for. Could always bump up to the 708 since it has pre outs.

I would also recommend getting a rectified (from Onkyo with a 1 year warranty) 707:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

This will have the pre-outs and is a great deal for the money.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page