post #541 of 2844 Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3razerviper View Post

Ok so I need to chose between an n460 an s470. My main questions will DLNA allow me to hook to playon and media player on my win7 pc? also how much better is the dvd up scaling on the n460 vs the s470? For me the 460 is about 60 bucks cheaper but DLNA is something that sounds nice. 3d is not a concern for me at all.

Note my setup will required optical out to the receiver and HDMI to the tv.

NObody knows how DLNA will be implemented but I guess Playon and Media Player will be OK. The real question, however, is what kind of files will be supported without conversion.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2844 Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
How about DVD upscaling?
post #543 of 2844 Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3razerviper View Post

How about DVD upscaling?

It's OK. 99% of people will find it good to very good. The remaining 1 % are people who had expensive DVD players or few "legends" like the Toshiba XA2. If you have a screen 55" or smaller ,chances are you won't complain.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #544 of 2844 Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by game007 View Post

Some US and German s370 owners complain that the s370 make some wired sounds during play some have a high bleep sound in the first minutes of a moivie after some minutes this gets quieter (chapter by chapter) , later its stops, but than (some say after layerbreak) it bings again! THis happens only with Blu ray disk and not all titles ! some of this german titles are:
Burn after Reading
Constantine
Speedracer
Home
Mr. Brooks
Hangover
Iron Man

so pls help !
pls wirte your date code (underneath like this maby: 2A 301209 -i doe not now were 2a stands for?) the s370

and manufacutre Land(made in)

firm ware no:

and manfactor code (likes this maby:4-169-983-02)

and if you have sound problems wich the s370
Thanks

Just got a 470 and have the same loud buzzing sound just as you and others describe with blu-ray. It starts very loud and gets less intense as the movie plays. I can't watch Tombstone at ALL. Avatar is also loud and gets better about a hour into it. Sherlock Holmes also loud buzzing, I played Armageddon blu-ray first it it really did not have the buzzing with this title.

I sit about 9-10 feet from my TV/Blu player and I'm use to a little noise from various blu players but nothing as bad as this 470. I was going to return it today and try another 470 but after reading it seems a common problem with the 370/470 maybe I will have to try a different brand. I have used just Sony players only since blu-ray players first came out so this bums me out a bit.

Edit: Also after trying several TruHD like Ironman and Hangover it will only play in stereo on my few year old JVC receiver.

Edit 2 After changing BD Audio MIX Setting to off the TruHD now works I'm not exactly sure what Mix Setting means and I'm not sure if this hurts performance with other audio but it works. Now if it just did not make that dang loud buzzing I'd be set.
post #545 of 2844 Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM

i have no s370 and no s470 , i wanted to by one next week in a seal out (s370+ 5blu rays for about 129,-)but i thnik i will not because on the german hifi forum
about 50% have this problem , its said that maby itsbecause of a bad or lees goed produktion charge or assembly line, so you need to be luky to get one form a good assembly line!

some mailed sony but ,sony does not know this iisue ,??!!
post #546 of 2844 Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post

Just got a 470 and have the same loud buzzing sound just as you and others describe with blu-ray. It starts very loud and gets less intense as the movie plays. I can't watch Tombstone at ALL. Avatar is also loud and gets better about a hour into it. Sherlock Holmes also loud buzzing, I played Armageddon blu-ray first it it really did not have the buzzing with this title.

I sit about 9-10 feet from my TV/Blu player and I'm use to a little noise from various blu players but nothing as bad as this 470. I was going to return it today and try another 470 but after reading it seems a common problem with the 370/470 maybe I will have to try a different brand. I have used just Sony players only since blu-ray players first came out so this bums me out a bit.

Edit: Also after trying several TruHD like Ironman and Hangover it will only play in stereo on my few year old JVC receiver.

Edit 2 After changing BD Audio MIX Setting to off the TruHD now works I'm not exactly sure what Mix Setting means and I'm not sure if this hurts performance with other audio but it works. Now if it just did not make that dang loud buzzing I'd be set.

I have a 470 and haven't noticed any noises coming from it.

Turning off the BD audio mix is the only way I got my player to output DD or DTS (6 year old Onkyo). It doesn't hurt the performance in any way.
post #547 of 2844 Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

As far as I know, very similar to Amazon VOD. I am curious to see the quality of audio and picture. Too many PPV already, I like the free stuff.

As of now, Qriocity is being pushed to these Blu-Ray players, through a network update rather than a full firmware upgrade. You have to go to http://www.qriocity.com and register for an account, then enter the requested activation code.

The service is PIN protected and does not require a credit card if you just want to look around and watch previews.

I really like the interface. Most of the content, however, is SD - even new releases. I'm sure that will change.
post #548 of 2844 Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post

Most of the content, however, is SD - even new releases. I'm sure that will change.

It's more expensive than Amazon, why would anybody pay more for less ?

post #549 of 2844 Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Hi

I plan getting the SONY BDP-S370/S470 and hook it up to my Denon AVR 1910 via HDMI. The AVR 1910 is connected to my Samsung TV LE40M86BD.

Has anyone experienced any problems with the same/a simliar AVR/TV configuration?
post #550 of 2844 Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 AM

I've just got the PAL BDP-S470 and generally it works great on M2TS, AVCHD, BDs and MKVs - all on DVD+R, DVD+DL, BD-R and BDROM (haven't tested USB HD). It's currently got a big problem and that is the auto framerate is broken.

Set at 1080/auto, BD (ROM and BD-R) discs play at 60i unless you stop the disc then restart it, then 50hz titles change to 50i and BDs change to 24p. I cannot get any MKVs or AVCHDs to play at 24p. I've never had a problem playing these videos at 24p on my BDP-S350, (of course the MKVs were originally 1280x720 compliant AVCHDs for the S350 as it doesn't support MKV). DVDs (PAL & NTSC) auto switch framerate correctly. This is all with the 473 firmware, I haven't tested this on the previous 315 version - don't know how to downgrade.

I also have the odd AVCHD (X264) disc that has jittery playback whereas they play perfectly on the S350. Needs more testing and it possibly is bad media. I've also had the odd AVCHD disc just stop playing, restarting and it plays fine - again possibly media. Still I never had any problems like this with the S350.

Good news: resolutions other than 1280x720 or 1920x1080 always play fine, i.e. 1280x520 etc. Weightp=2 titles appear to play fine as MKV but when remuxed to M2TS/AVCHD they display the dreaded blocky corruption. Oh yes and NTSC DVDs are output at 24p, very nice!

Photos on USB Flash are just great, really fast! Also the BBC iPlayer is great (for those in Blighty!). The device is also fast at most things.

Oh and the drive is a bit noisier than the S350, it's not too bad though.

It's not going back yet, I'll contact Sony to see if they can fix this. I'm quite surprised they released this product, it still feels like it is beta, i.e. DLNA support to some in future firmwares, broken auto frame rate support. The S350 is/was such a rock solid player.

P.S. The DVD region hack here works fine with the S470!
post #551 of 2844 Old 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

I just want to report that I installed two of the S470s, one in my house and one at my sister's. Both work perfectly. No noises or buzzing. I installed cheap (PQI 4GB Traveling Disk U273, $11) USB memory sticks in both. These were already formatted for FAT32.

Both are connected to 7Mb cable internet, and both play Netflix with no problems.

We are pleased.

Let me also say that this streaming stuff is underrated. I know the primary purpose is to play blu-ray and DVD disks, but we underestimated the added value that the internet content provides. It is close to having an HTPC, at least for us.
post #552 of 2844 Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 AM

I purchased the E570 about one month ago and I like it very much, however a few things I don't like.

1. The Sandisk USB flash drive I purchased and plugged into the front USB port worked fine one time and now it does not anymore...it is formatted as FAT32...weird! Shows up as an unknown device. I have put the drive in with the unit off and then turned on, while the unit was on, standing on my head, during a full moon, etc. Anyone else?

2. The transition between the second layer of a movie is very awkward, quite a long pause, almost as if the movie went into slow motion...have to recall what BluRay I was playing and put the time up if I figure it out.

3. Netflix - load time is VERY SLOWWWWWW....also no search feature is very stupid...hope an update is looming.

4. Michael Jackson video icon? What is up with that? I clicked on it to check it out and there are about 15 or so Jackson videos...for what reason? Worthless, would like to delete that.

5. No DLNA, well, I read there was but did not read the fine print...thanks to this particular thread I see that it should be available as an update in July 2010, hope that is true.

Other than these few things I really love the player. The sound and video is great and a complete home theater in a box for $549 is a great deal as far as I was concerned.

Sony BDV-E570 - Hitachi 51" HDTV
post #553 of 2844 Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing I've noticed about my BDP-S370 compared to my old Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player is how much quieter the Sony is--during a disc seek, you don't hear a lot of funny head seeking noises like you get on the DVD-S35.

By the way, upscaling DVD's is quite good, though of course you do see the limitations of the DVD format, especially the smaller color palette compared to a real Blu-ray disc.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #554 of 2844 Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just got my 370 and hooked it up. I have to say, the streaming stuff has blown me away. It's fast, easy to use, and reliable. I don't subscribe to netflix, so i wasn't expecting any of the streaming to be worthwhile. But there is plenty of good free stuff.

And i'm coming from a Tivo HD, where everything was slow and unreliable.
post #555 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 AM

I'm considering picking up a 370 at lunch today. But I can see us being heavy Netflix users, so this is an important feature. How's the quality of Netflix streaming compared to say TiVo HD or TiVo Premiere? That's the only experience I've had with streaming Netflix up to this point.

This sounds like a great player aside from the few reports I've heard of questionable Netflix quality. But if it is as good, if not better than what I was seeing on TiVo, I don't expect it to be a big deal.
post #556 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM

It streams Netflix very well. HD feeds are great. I have 12MBS internet though. Other with slower speeds might not do as well.
post #557 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjones68 View Post

It streams Netflix very well. HD feeds are great. I have 12MBS internet though. Other with slower speeds might not do as well.

That's encouraging. I had read some reviews (namely on CNET) that the Netflix quality was subpar on the 570. It is my understanding that this is the exact same player as the 570, only minus the built-in WiFi and without the ability to upgrade to 3D support, correct?
post #558 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post

That's encouraging. I had read some reviews (namely on CNET) that the Netflix quality was subpar on the 570. It is my understanding that this is the exact same player as the 570, only minus the built-in WiFi and without the ability to upgrade to 3D support, correct?

Yeah that's not necessarily true, we have the s470 on a 20Mb/s connection and the NetFlix quality is excellent and for what its worth, my wife considers me an HD snob.
post #559 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| View Post

Yeah that's not necessarily true, we have the s470 on a 20Mb/s connection and the NetFlix quality is excellent and for what its worth, my wife considers me an HD snob.

Well I think that settles it for me then. I was debating between getting the 470 and a wireless bridge or just getting the 570 with the wireless built in. The wireless bridge option though gives me the ability to hook up multiple devices, so that's probably the best best anyways. Sounds like the Netflix quality on it is solid.
post #560 of 2844 Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well I think that settles it for me then. I was debating between getting the 470 and a wireless bridge or just getting the 570 with the wireless built in. The wireless bridge option though gives me the ability to hook up multiple devices, so that's probably the best best anyways. Sounds like the Netflix quality on it is solid.

I have a 470 and have had only one issue with netflix (bandwidth), I've upgraded to 12mbs and haven't had any issues since. HD looks almost as good as HD satellite.
post #561 of 2844 Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 AM

for EU users. new dailymotion channel added yesterday, no search only 2 lists.

Enjoy.

A question to all, does anyone lose the Bluray icon on the list one a while? I only see the blank icon after 2 or 3 startupd
post #562 of 2844 Old 05-07-2010, 07:54 AM

How do I get rid of the Michael Jackson icon.. I hate the guys "music" and dont want the link on my player.
post #563 of 2844 Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

The 470 has wireless too...
post #564 of 2844 Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Does anyone have an iso file of the latest firmware? I'm a Mac user and can't extract the .exe file to burn.

Just got the S470 and internet works fine for most content, just can't download the firmware through the player to get the rest to work (i.e. Netflix and Amazon). Sony says I need the new firmware installed to be able to download the firmware, but since I have a Mac they have to mail me the disk, which will take 10 days. Sort of annoying.

Any help would be great, thanks.
post #565 of 2844 Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjones68 View Post

The 470 has wireless too...

It does not. It requires a USB adapter. The S570 is the only one with built-in wireless.

post #566 of 2844 Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Hey guys,

We noticed something kind of odd with the way our new BD player (BDP-S470) behaves with our new TV (Sony Bravia KDL-46EX400) when connected via HDMI. If the BD player is powered off, then powered back on, the signal never returns. I've played around with some of the HDMI settings in the BD player, but nothing seems to have helped.

We also have a DirecTV HD-DVR as well. When I connect this to the same HDMI input and power it back off and back on, it works fine. The one thing I've noticed with the BD player though is that the TV "detects" it as a Bluray player and the input name (NOT label, this is not something I've changed) changes to "HDMI 1 (BD)" (or something like that).

Once the BD player refuses to output, the only way I can get it back is to unplug the HDMI cable and then plug back it back in. The input immediately returns, and all seems well again until it's power cycled again. Power the TV off and back on seems to make no difference.

This is quite maddening to say the least. Any ideas?
post #567 of 2844 Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Don't have this unit yet, (thinking about it) so I will ask. Will the S470 output Component and HDMI simultaneously for use with zone 2 setup.
The owners manual has info on how the turn HDMI, on or off but no other info that I can see.
If not, does anyone know of a solid unit at this level that will?

Thanks
post #568 of 2844 Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM

I picked up the BDP-S470 yesterday and have it hooked up to my WD-73837 television. The picture looks beautiful but I am having issues downloading the firmware update. I have the player directly connected to the internet via ethernet but the firmware update stops downloading and says network connection problem on portion 3/9 every single time. A similar problem happened to me on three straight BDP 1600 Samsung Blu-Ray players last year before my FOURTH player finally downloaded the update fine and has worked since.

Do I just have a bad unit? I have read elsewhere online that some have had a similar issue with it stopping on either 2/9 or 3/9 when downloading updates and they burnt a CD instead to go around this issue. If you guys think this is an issue with my particular player then I will go swap this out immediately. I do not want to have to try to work around errors that are not present on all units of the player...
post #569 of 2844 Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfred View Post

Don't have this unit yet, (thinking about it) so I will ask. Will the S470 output Component and HDMI simultaneously for use with zone 2 setup.
The owners manual has info on how the turn HDMI, on or off but no other info that I can see.
If not, does anyone know of a solid unit at this level that will?

Thanks

Yep, you'll get component (plus analog or digital audio) with HDMI simultaneously. That's how I have my S370 set up - HDMI for zone 1 and component + analog for zone 2 (bedroom). I have an IR repeater to control the BD from the bedroom.
post #570 of 2844 Old 05-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

I'm considering picking up a 370 at lunch today. But I can see us being heavy Netflix users, so this is an important feature. How's the quality of Netflix streaming compared to say TiVo HD or TiVo Premiere? That's the only experience I've had with streaming Netflix up to this point.

This sounds like a great player aside from the few reports I've heard of questionable Netflix quality. But if it is as good, if not better than what I was seeing on TiVo, I don't expect it to be a big deal.

As someone who has limped along with Tivo's implementation of Netflix on two S3 boxes, I can say the S370 is a better streaming device than the Tivo's.

My wife and kids always go to Tivo first for Netflix viewing because it conveniently appears in the Now Playing list. But when it starts pausing/stuttering/rebuffering and they come to me for help, I point them to the S370 which doesn't miss a beat. This is on 6 Mb/s DSL.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page