Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2844 Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the S370 outputs LPCM converted from DSD over HDMI, what is the sampling frequency? The manual posted online does not seem to show a setting to control this nor does it say what it is set at. I know that the PS3's that are SACD compatible allow a selection of 88.2 khz or 176.4 and the Oppo's that do DSD to PCM do it at 88.2 khz but would like to know what the f(s) is of the s370. Sorry if this was already discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2844 Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having issues playing conventional DVD's on my BDP-S370. It seems when the player automatically jumps to different parts of the disc (like when it goes through the menus during startup) or when I jump to a specific chapter on a disc I lose about 1-2 seconds of audio and video after the "jump" completes. Note I don't see this problem playing back Blu-ray discs. (EDIT: I should note that this problem is especially bad on anamorphic widescreen DVD's. I have some anime DVD's with 4:3 non-widescreen and the problem is just about non-existant.)

Is there a fix for this, whether by changing the settings in Setup or a firmware upgrade?

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #633 of 2844 Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick426 View Post

When the S370 outputs LPCM converted from DSD over HDMI

I've not tried it, but I don't believe the S370 (or any player in the Sx70 series) has the ability to do anything with DSD besides pass it through HDMI to an external decoder.

By the way, if you are interested in SACD playback using the S370 as a transport, see my previous post regarding bugs/lack of support for SACD Text and Track # on the front panel. (That said, for DSD pickup and pass through HDMI, I am very satisfied with this player.)
post #634 of 2844 Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfduffy View Post

I've not tried it, but I don't believe the S370 (or any player in the Sx70 series) has the ability to do anything with DSD besides pass it through HDMI to an external decoder.

The manual posted online at Sony's site indicates otherwise. There's an 'Audio Setting' option called 'DSD Output Mode.' The description for the 'OFF' setting of this option says, 'Outputs PCM signals from the HDMI OUT jack when playing a Super Audio CD.' This is described on page 23 of the manual.
post #635 of 2844 Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 12
I have a s470, and have been streaming netflix without any issues. All of a sudden yesterday the player asked me to activate netflix on the device (gave a code). So I did this and then everything worked fine. Then today it said that netflix was disabled on the device, please activate (gave a code, went online, activated again). Streaming is fine, see everything on my queue.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I have a paid sub, no trial.
post #636 of 2844 Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick426 View Post

The manual posted online at Sony's site indicates otherwise. There's an 'Audio Setting' option called 'DSD Output Mode.' The description for the 'OFF' setting of this option says, 'Outputs PCM signals from the HDMI OUT jack when playing a Super Audio CD.' This is described on page 23 of the manual.

It will down mix DSD to DPL surround or 2-channel over the audio digital output if you don't have a DSD decoder in your setup. I tried Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow & it did a respectable job giving a reasonable surround experience.
I'm happy to report it also plays DVD Audio discs (although you only have access to the DTS or DD 5.1 tracks), DTS music discs and DTS CDs.
I bought mine over the weekend & so far I like it very much.
post #637 of 2844 Old 06-01-2010, 03:55 PM

I have a s470 that says it's DLNA, however my HP mediasmart server and this unit won't see eye to eye.

In fact I am unable to find any menu item to enable or view anything like this. Is this another false advertisement or "firmware coming soon" upgrade?
post #638 of 2844 Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Unfortunately, it is one of those "firmware coming soon" upgrades
post #639 of 2844 Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM

I'm thinking seriously now about returning it and just holding a little bit longer till the denon bdp-1611UD comes out, I'm sick of companies advertising something that is "coming soon" cause on the box, it certainly did not say that. The 3d portion it did though.
post #640 of 2844 Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik78 View Post

I'm thinking seriously now about returning it and just holding a little bit longer till the denon bdp-1611UD comes out, I'm sick of companies advertising something that is "coming soon" cause on the box, it certainly did not say that. The 3d portion it did though.

The Denons will come out without the firmware update to support all the announced features, same as the Sony. The "coming soon" is now what looks like a standard "feature' on all new electronic devices.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #641 of 2844 Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM

I'm wondering now if it's worth it at all now with blu-ray. The technology seems to be there, however the bells and whistles from various companies keep putting me off. On one hand I wanted a blu-ray player that would do great at upscaling my 400+ library of dvd's, then I wanted to de-clutter my livingroom, so by getting a player that would be DLNA compliant and have pandora/netflix, I could get rid of my HP tower that's hooked up to my theater and just have the receiver and blu-ray player.

Enter in Panasonic, my first, lasted a day and returned it, model 65 I believe, the upscaling was a joke.

Now sony s470, not bad for upscaling, but is not DLNA capable.

I saw the Denon, it already lists itself as DLNA compliant (unsure of firmware), and possibly better upscaling than the sony s470 I currently own. Bad part now is the waiting game, ideally I would like a player with great upscale ability, pandora/netflix and DLNA capability.

Maybe blu-ray just isn't as great as it's cut out to be yet, considering they can't get discs to remember where you last left off. Speech synch issues, hdmi 1.1 1.3a, 1.4 and whatever else I missed. Just seems to be a bandaid put on everything when in reality all it should do is power on and WORK!
post #642 of 2844 Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM

I have a BDP-s470 that on occasion will cause my sony SXRD tv to loose picture for a split second then come back on. Audio is not interrupted.

The bluray player is hooked up my yamaha rx-v1900 via hdmi, then the output hdmi is hooked to my tv.

Has anyone else noticed this from their bluray player, or could it be the rx-v1900??
post #643 of 2844 Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a BDP-s470 that on occasion will cause my sony SXRD tv to loose picture for a split second then come back on. Audio is not interrupted.

The bluray player is hooked up my yamaha rx-v1900 via hdmi, then the output hdmi is hooked to my tv.

Has anyone else noticed this from their bluray player, or could it be the rx-v1900??

This is likely caused by HDMI handshake issues. Unfortunately, a pretty common occurrence with BD players and AVRs connected via HDMI. Some BD players/AVRs seem more prone to this than others.

Btw, I guess you're not too familiar with forum protocol regarding posting. You should address your questions for your particular player etc. in it's own thread. Usually there is an "Official" thread for just about all existing BD players. You will get responses much quicker this way.

I see that you already posted other questions in the official 370/470 thread, that is where this post should be. Take care.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #644 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Hi,
Yesterday I have brought in S370 BDP. Was able to bitstream DTS-MA HD to my AVR receiver Denon 2309 through HDMI.
But when playing DVDs(did not connect SPDIF,coaxial cable) with Dolby digital over hdmi, I am observing fast forwarding effect of video.
Its like somebody has slightly(effect easily visible) fast forwarded the picture.
I understand that video processing is slower than audio. Should I go with coaxial for Dolby digital, to my AVR from the BDP? Or any setting in BDP(2309 does not do any video processing for signal over hdmi) for reducing this effect?
Responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

TV:Samsung LED series 6 .
Speakers: Polk Rti A7,PSW 500,surrounds
post #645 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 AM

Wasn't aware of the rules and regulations, just living life.

Seems every time I ask a question I've got someone shaking a finger at me, sheesh.

The "official" thread, is filled with one off questions with no particular order, which is why I made my own thread to break free of the foolishness of question up on question with no rhyme or reason, let alone order. Last I checked this is a message board, for posting messages/questions/queries.
post #646 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 AM

I have a 470 in my home theater room, connected to the 'Net via ethernet cable and hooked into my Netflix account. No issues; thing works great and I am happy.

Now, I wish to purchase a second 470 for the new flat panel in the bedroom, also will be connected to my home network in the same manner. Can I expect any issues, as in will both players be able to "see" my Netflix queue, etc?

Just curious if you can two or more players syncc'ed up with Netflix, or similar stuff?

Thanks!
post #647 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
^^^

I think the limit is 6 devices per account. So you'll be fine. I have 5 myself - 3 on one local network and 2 on devices in other cities. There's a page on the netfilx site for managing multiple devices if you need to remove any.
post #648 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I'm wondering now if it's worth it at all now with blu-ray. The technology seems to be there, however the bells and whistles from various companies keep putting me off. On one hand I wanted a blu-ray player that would do great at upscaling my 400+ library of dvd's, then I wanted to de-clutter my livingroom, so by getting a player that would be DLNA compliant and have pandora/netflix, I could get rid of my HP tower that's hooked up to my theater and just have the receiver and blu-ray player.

Enter in Panasonic, my first, lasted a day and returned it, model 65 I believe, the upscaling was a joke.

Now sony s470, not bad for upscaling, but is not DLNA capable.

I saw the Denon, it already lists itself as DLNA compliant (unsure of firmware), and possibly better upscaling than the sony s470 I currently own. Bad part now is the waiting game, ideally I would like a player with great upscale ability, pandora/netflix and DLNA capability.

Maybe blu-ray just isn't as great as it's cut out to be yet, considering they can't get discs to remember where you last left off. Speech synch issues, hdmi 1.1 1.3a, 1.4 and whatever else I missed. Just seems to be a bandaid put on everything when in reality all it should do is power on and WORK!

Just a little reminder, Goldilocks: You can't just buy these products to sample them, and keep taking them back when you change your mind or when a newer product comes out. That makes all of our prices go up, and quite often results in your returned item getting put back on a boat and sent back to Asia. Bad for the environment.

This issue is not debatable. Just stop.
post #649 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post

That makes all of our prices go up, and quite often results in your returned item getting put back on a boat and sent back to Asia.

If you have ever been to Fry's (or most any other retailer) you would see they simply end up back on the shelves. Marked down 5% (10% for Best Buy?) and sold to someone who is looking for a bargain (wouldn't pay the normal price). And since the 5% is less than the future sell price they make more money not less. Worse case they end up being B-stock on eBay!
post #650 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Sure you can. If nobody is there to answer your questions, you most certainly can buy and try. Maybe retailers will get the point because there has been a steady decline in customer service, peoples attitudes as a whole. Gone are the days where you could find a knowledgeable person who wanted to help and was passionate about what they were selling. Now you get a rhetorical answer when you ask a question, as the sales monkey reads what's on the printed card.
With regard to the environment, it's laughable, and one of the biggest oxymoron's I've heard. This is the age of consumerism, nobody will stop for a split second and thing "is this good for the environment", when they're stuck in "I, ME ME ME" mode.
Too bad if prices go up, mabye if shops would bring back the home theater demo room, actually have the units hooked up and hire knowledgable people, returns would go down. OR
Mabye if companies stop putting out half arsed products and stop using the general public as beta testers, there would be less returns.....
post #651 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^

I think the limit is 6 devices per account. So you'll be fine. I have 5 myself - 3 on one local network and 2 on devices in other cities. There's a page on the netfilx site for managing multiple devices if you need to remove any.

Thank you!
post #652 of 2844 Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sure you can. If nobody is there to answer your questions, you most certainly can buy and try. Maybe retailers will get the point because there has been a steady decline in customer service, peoples attitudes as a whole. Gone are the days where you could find a knowledgeable person who wanted to help and was passionate about what they were selling. Now you get a rhetorical answer when you ask a question, as the sales monkey reads what's on the printed card.
With regard to the environment, it's laughable, and one of the biggest oxymoron's I've heard. This is the age of consumerism, nobody will stop for a split second and thing "is this good for the environment", when they're stuck in "I, ME ME ME" mode.
Too bad if prices go up, mabye if shops would bring back the home theater demo room, actually have the units hooked up and hire knowledgable people, returns would go down. OR
Mabye if companies stop putting out half arsed products and stop using the general public as beta testers, there would be less returns.....

Maybe you should seek out an actual hi-fi shop, where people actually know what they are selling, instead of going to BB or Wal-Mart. That's the only place these days to find someone "who wanted to help and was passionate about what they were selling." It would save you a lot of your time, which is hard to put a price on.

Also, BB and Wal-Mart do not care about the customer's experience or their employees' knowledge, only price.
post #653 of 2844 Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM

I just got the BDP-BX37 last week and signed up for netflix for the streaming. The streaming works great on all of our computers and my ps3 but on the blu-ray player, it constantly has to stop and buffer for 2-3 minutes. My internet connection is a 50 Mb/s fiber line to my house with a homemade router running linux. Can anyone help me with this problem?
post #654 of 2844 Old 06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have suggestions on a thumb drive to use for the S370?

I bought a 4G HP drive for use in mine, and it seems to have problems. I tried my first BD-Live disk (Ponyo), and the player said it was not responding. I couldn't even erase it from the player. I put it in the computer, and it was corrupted. I reformatted and tried again. I could erase it initially, and it did create a buda directory, but when it tried to play the disk, it again complained about the drive not responding. When I checked it on the computer again, it had some corrupted directories.

I then tried an ancient 256M USB 1.1 drive I had. That seems to have worked. Should EVERYTHING be under the buda directory, or will disks create their own root directories? That is what I see on this old drive, but I'm not certain if it was actually using it or not.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the other drive? Could it be too big? It's hard to find a 1G drive, although I guess I could try manually partitioning it to be smaller.

Update: OK, I don't see a way in Vista to format it to anything but it's rated size. And yes, it is formatted FAT32.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #655 of 2844 Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The off topic comments will end here.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #656 of 2844 Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Splodge??

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #657 of 2844 Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 AM

I deleted my post above re the splodge.

-

post #658 of 2844 Old 06-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Hi All: i'm an audio/video enthusiast currently with 2 set ups: living room and bedroom. the living room set is older with only 720 and 60"; the bedroom set is brand new (2 months) with a 55" Sony LCD (monolithic glass front) and a Sony 370 bluray player.

i'm moving soon. i'll completely replace the living room set in my new living room with a front projector and a 120" screen; i'll keep almost everything from my bedroom set.

while i'm tempted to just get another Sony 370 for my new living room set up with the front projector and the 120" screen, i keep reminding myself that everyone seems to love the Oppo 83.

my questions are:

1) is the Oppo 83 that much superior in imaging quality compared with a 2010 brand new model bluray player of the ilk similar to the Sony 370? i can't opine on other models, as i've only purchased and used the Sony 370 and see nothing wrong with it so far.

2) streaming convenience features: the netflix and some other sony bravia internet features are very convenient. while i have not yet watched a full length movie via Netflix streaming, i have experimented and it seems to work - of course, merely several minutes here and there just to experiment. Won't it be foolish for me to go without these features if the incremental video quality benefits of the Oppo 83 were to be rather minor?

3) for now, i'm trying to not think about the price differential of the Oppo 83 versus other bluray players like my Sony 370. It's basically $200 vs $500.

4) any other points that i might have missed?

thank you all very much in advance for your anticipated advice/guidance.
post #659 of 2844 Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

Hi All: i'm an audio/video enthusiast currently with 2 set ups: living room and bedroom. the living room set is older with only 720 and 60"; the bedroom set is brand new (2 months) with a 55" Sony LCD (monolithic glass front) and a Sony 370 bluray player.

i'm moving soon. i'll completely replace the living room set in my new living room with a front projector and a 120" screen; i'll keep almost everything from my bedroom set.

while i'm tempted to just get another Sony 370 for my new living room set up with the front projector and the 120" screen, i keep reminding myself that everyone seems to love the Oppo 83.

my questions are:

1) is the Oppo 83 that much superior in imaging quality compared with a 2010 brand new model bluray player of the ilk similar to the Sony 370? i can't opine on other models, as i've only purchased and used the Sony 370 and see nothing wrong with it so far.

2) streaming convenience features: the netflix and some other sony bravia internet features are very convenient. while i have not yet watched a full length movie via Netflix streaming, i have experimented and it seems to work - of course, merely several minutes here and there just to experiment. Won't it be foolish for me to go without these features if the incremental video quality benefits of the Oppo 83 were to be rather minor?

3) for now, i'm trying to not think about the price differential of the Oppo 83 versus other bluray players like my Sony 370. It's basically $200 vs $500.

4) any other points that i might have missed?

thank you all very much in advance for your anticipated advice/guidance.

EIEIO, welcome! I have the Sony S470 which has the built-in network features and I love it. Actually heading out today to BB to pick up a second one for my new bedroom LCD TV. (FWIW, BB has that model on sale this week for $179.) I stream Netflix and while not exactly HD quality is is acceptable. I have a crappy cable-modem connection and it still is OK.

As to comparing the Oppo to the Sony, when you asked "...incremental video quality benefits of the Oppo 83 were to be rather minor?..." I think you nailed it really. I have a friend who has an Oppo connected to the same Mits DLP set that I have. I have seen no difference between his and mine using the same source material. Might be a placebo effect with the Oppo crowd; if you have one you are convinced it is better! Just MHO though...
post #660 of 2844 Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

thx for your reply. may i ask what the differences are between the 370 and the 470? as far as i recall, the 470 is "3D ready". bfd. right?

you'll need glasses and a new tv!

is there any reasons whatsoever that the 470 is a better unit than the 370?

just asking. i think i paid around $175 for my 370 two months ago.

btw, vis-a-vis the incremental video benefits: the benefits must be real. too many folks, including the reviewers, have universally voted it as the #1 unit. they really can't ALL be wrong. BUT, am i willing to give up the features benefit of the Sony 370/470, including the Netflix streaming, for the incremental video benefits? THAT's my dilemma.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page