Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I must be retarted, but WHERE do I access the DLNA stuff? I cant seem to fins ANY mention of it anywhere. What menu, or setup do I need to do?

I use playon as well as share media from a windows 7 box.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwagon View Post

OK, I must be retarted, but WHERE do I access the DLNA stuff? I cant seem to fins ANY mention of it anywhere. What menu, or setup do I need to do?

I use playon as well as share media from a windows 7 box.

Thanks!

From the Main Menu, go all the way to the left under Setup, then down to Network Settings, and finally to Connection Server Settings. Then select Options > Update Server List, and keep your fingers crossed. I have had no luck whatsoever, and in fact, when I select Network Diagnostic from this sections, it locates my DLNA server, but reports that it's not DNLA capable. I have so far tried PSP Media Server as well as TVersity -- they both yield the same results.

Any advice?
post #723 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Here's the weird thing. I actually have the bdp-s270. Walmart only model I think. Well, this last fw upgrade said adds dlna, but the server settings aren't there. Ugh. Maybe their update notes were wrong. I have ordered the 370 and it arrives tomorrow. Just needed to use it tonight.
post #724 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badway View Post

Some update, I was able to get some media playing including some IPTV including HD using Wild Media Server .....

Good news. How easy is it to setup? Any specific config needed? More info please. Thanks in advance.

-

post #725 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM

I turned streaming on in WMP on my laptop, then went through those network settings on my 370 and can now play the few jpg, mp3 and avi files stored on there. I haven't tried anything else, but it looks good so far.
post #726 of 2849 Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quick and easy workaround for playing mkv's on the USB flash port!

As a test, I tried to play a 720p 5.1 channel x264 1.2gb mkv file on my flash drive. The 370 gave the usual "file is corrupted or unsupported" message.

So I took this nifty little piece of freeware called tsMuxer (same program I use to author AVCHD discs) and converted the mkv into an m2ts file. No reencoding required so it took less than a minute.

The m2ts file played flawlessly on my 370's USB port!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #727 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 AM

This is soooo frustrating.

I have WMP11 running on my laptop with Window XP.
I turned on the Media sharing on WMP.

I have the latest S370 firmware.
It detected my laptop - so far so good.
Then the real fun begins...

I have a couple of avi files on WMP's video section.
- S370 could not see anything there.
(I plays around with naming the playlist - S370 detects all that - but no playable files)
- S370 sees my jpg files. When I open them up, they just have the broken image icons.
- S370 will play a handful of my mp3 files. It seems that it plays a few songs I have brought from Amazon and Itune stores. However, it will not play songs that I have ripped from my own CD.

Apparently, some people has gotten this working - however, no such luck for me. I would like to think I am somewhat tech savvy. I shudder at the thought of average home users trying this new DLNA stuff.
post #728 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Good news. How easy is it to setup? Any specific config needed? More info please. Thanks in advance.

With Wild media server it was nothing special, I have just installed the server and made sure all firework setting is fine and it works with Sony DLNA TV setting just fine, as mentioned I was even able to stream IPTV

The only problem is Wild Media server is costly I have 3 other device, I currently own a playon which fails in all options.
post #729 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClueless View Post

This is soooo frustrating.

(I plays around with naming the playlist - S370 detects all that - but no playable files)
- S370 sees my jpg files. When I open them up, they just have the broken image icons.
- S370 will play a handful of my mp3 files. It seems that it plays a few songs I have brought from Amazon and Itune stores. However, it will not play songs that I have ripped from my own CD.

Try onething, switch the quick shut down option, switch off and on ur player, delete all server and run network Diag, maybe it help at least with the photos.

I had a similiar issue which was fixed by that
post #730 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badway View Post

With Wild media server it was nothing special, I have just installed the server and made sure all firework setting is fine and it works with Sony DLNA TV setting just fine, as mentioned I was even able to stream IPTV...

Thanks for that. I have now got it working. It's not exactly clear to me how to forbid transcoding of an internet stream. Currently it's transoding the wmv streams into MPEG (2?).

-

post #731 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM

I'm a new member and got our S370 about a month ago. This past weekend we loaded a DVD with photos on it and played it as a slideshow. But my wife grabbed the remote and kept hitting the right arrow button to get to the next slide, noit realizing it would play automatically. As a result, we now have several duplicates of some of the photos each time we play this. The manual does not address this issue. Any help on how I can remove the duplicates?
post #732 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 AM

To my knowledge, the S370 isn't capable of writing to the disc, so those extra images were already there. That's probably why she kept hitting the arrow button.
post #733 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Thanks for that. I have now got it working. It's not exactly clear to me how to forbid transcoding of an internet stream. Currently it's transoding the wmv streams into MPEG (2?).

Hi , hope this helps.

You must include wmv under device native supported formats, or select device ps3 that supports more or less same formats as the s370.
post #734 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan-YJ View Post

I just bought an S370 last night -- my first BD player. I've got a question about wired network connectivity, though. When I plug the player into the network, everything syncs up fine. Internet services like Pandora work fine. I can ping the player from another computer. "View network settings" shows exactly what I'd expect, except that "Internet connection" is "failed." The physical connection shows OK. When I try to check for new firmware online, the player claims that it can't connect to the DHCP server, which is obviously a lie. I had to download the firmware on another computer & burn a disc to update it. Anybody know what I need to do to get the online updates working?

It turns out that DHCP support is just hosed. When I configure the S370 manually to have a static IP address, then everything works fine, including updating firmware online. The latest firmware update (567) doesn't fix the DHCP issue, BTW. It's unfortunate to not have DHCP working, especially for those not as familiar with working around it. Maybe someday they'll get it right.
post #735 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
What video formats does the player support via DLNA without transcoding? I'm wondering if it is any different than what my KDL-NX700 TV supports. I'm going to guess its the same (mpeg2, avchd).
post #736 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 AM

OK. I got an s370, and updated the firmware.

Now I have DLNA, yay.

Problem. Aspect ratio. Anyone else? Most of my videos have a slightly stretched aspect ration. Is there a setting for this somewhere? I have tried everything.
post #737 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Set to "fixed aspect ratio" and check the zoom setting on your tv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #738 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

What video formats does the player support via DLNA without transcoding? I'm wondering if it is any different than what my KDL-NX700 TV supports. I'm going to guess its the same (mpeg2, avchd).

According with the specs found on Sony site...

divxhd, mpeg1/2, mpeg4,wmv,mpeg4aac
post #739 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucacha View Post

Hi , hope this helps.

You must include wmv under device native supported formats, or select device ps3 that supports more or less same formats as the s370.

And how can we include wmv under device native supported formats?...
post #740 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:

According with the specs found on Sony site...

divxhd, mpeg1/2, mpeg4,wmv,mpeg4aac

Thanks. Is that from a disc, USB, or via DLNA, or any method? I see similar file types in the manual, but don't know if it applies to DLNA or not - manual doesn't mention either way.
post #741 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 PM

I just set up the BDP-S470 over the weekend with my new Sony EX700. I connected the player via HDMI to the TV and audio to my Bose via coaxial cable. When I put in my first Blu Ray movie, Angels and Demons, the advertisements played perfectly but when the movie started I had no sound. Played around with audio settings forever and finally got sound when I used the digital sound out from the TV to the Bose. The audio settings I used are HDMI "auto", DSD Output "off", BD Audio Mix "off", Dolby Digital, DTS, Audio DCR "auto" and Downmix Surround". Is this because of the disc audio or my settings? Thanks!
post #742 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Thanks. Is that from a disc, USB, or via DLNA, or any method? I see similar file types in the manual, but don't know if it applies to DLNA or not - manual doesn't mention either way.

I just wanted to toss out a quick question and info. Walmart is really advertising the sony BDP-270 for $158. I had a BDP-570 and the latest firmware gave it all kinds of small bugs. Then I decided the extra features, I'd probably never use or could do without wasn't worth the trouble.

The 270 has the same interface but lacks gracenote (not sure how big that really is) it only has 1 usb port on the back, It doesn't have some options like noise reduction, which i've heard are better left off anyway. It doesn't have built in wifi but is wifi ready via a dongle. It doesn't appear to have DLNA support even though son'y's site for the model says it does . I've decided if i want to stream that bad i'll buy an apple tv as itunes content is encrypted for video. Overall I find this a good basic player of the S70 series. and all the bugs i had with the 570 are now totally null in void. The only thing I'll miss sometimes is the font usb jack but i have the rear and i can put content on a disc. I think after saying all that it's kind of frustrating with all the options out there. I know what I want the others sound exciting but end up falling by the wayside and the money wasted in the end.

Oh well that's my two cents about sony players.

As far as Wifi, it's a moot point, i have a studio size apartment cable is just as easy and it's recommended for streaming over wireless.
post #743 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Get the 370 at amazon. It's cheaper than the 270 at walmart.

That's what I did. 159 at amazon. No tax and free shipping. 270 is 158+ tax=17x.00.

My 2 cents.
post #744 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Hi , hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I plan to experiment more with this.

-

post #745 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:

It applies to DLNA, and you can check the specs on Sony sites.
post #746 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgivgi View Post

And how can we include wmv under device native supported formats?...

Wild media server, settings,device, embebed file support,movies...there you can add the supported file types.
post #747 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:

It applies to DLNA, and you can check the specs on Sony sites.

Thanks - I found specs on a UK website. For whatever reason, I couldn't find it on sony.com

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ra...TechnicalSpecs
post #748 of 2849 Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM

No matter what combo I use for settings I cannot get a 16x9 video to fill my screen with dlna. Back to wdtv.
post #749 of 2849 Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbjkb View Post

I just set up the BDP-S470 over the weekend with my new Sony EX700. I connected the player via HDMI to the TV and audio to my Bose via coaxial cable. When I put in my first Blu Ray movie, Angels and Demons, the advertisements played perfectly but when the movie started I had no sound. Played around with audio settings forever and finally got sound when I used the digital sound out from the TV to the Bose. The audio settings I used are HDMI "auto", DSD Output "off", BD Audio Mix "off", Dolby Digital, DTS, Audio DCR "auto" and Downmix Surround". Is this because of the disc audio or my settings? Thanks!

Use these settings:

HDMI Audio = PCM
BD Audio Mix = Off
Dolby Digital (Coax/Opt) = Dolby Digital
DTS (Coax/Opt) = DTS
Audio DRC = Wide Range
post #750 of 2849 Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM

Just picked one of these up yesterday and am very pleased on the whole however, streaming is an issue.

I'm using Windows Media Streaming from Windows 7 and most files stream OK however I get "file is corrupted or unsupported" when trying to play MKVs and I can't get SRT subtitles to work via streaming at all. Has anyone had working subtitles over DLNA?

I guess as this is the first firmware to handle DLNA we can't expect it to be perfect.

Dealwagon, I'd suggest you keep trying as I have no aspect-ratio problems at all through DLNA.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page