post #61 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Can someone who has one look at the audio settings? Mine only has the option of "Auto" and "PCM." I have it set to "Auto" and it sends all audio out as PCM instead of sending it to my receiver and letting it handle the audio. Kind of like how the original PS3 handles it. Decodes all audio in the player and sends out to receiver as PCM. I prefer it be sent to my receiver to handle.

Is this for SACD or Bluray ? Set the bd audio to "direct" instead of "mix" .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Is this for SACD or Bluray ? Set the bd audio to "direct" instead of "mix" .

Bluray. I don't see a direct option anywhere.
post #63 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymann View Post

Thanks, looking forward to your report. Let us know what media servers you're using.

I tried Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7. It works with other devices I have, but I don't see the S370 show up on the computer as a streaming device. There is also no mention of DLNA anywhere on the box or manual for the S370 so I'm not sure what is going on.
post #64 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

I figured the PCM issue out. Instead of an option for Direct you just turn the "Mix" option to off and it sends the audio out to the receiver to decode. It's under Audio Settings-BD Audio MIX Setting. Options are On/Off. Set to off.
post #65 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post

I tried Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7. It works with other devices I have, but I don't see the S370 show up on the computer as a streaming device. There is also no mention of DLNA anywhere on the box or manual for the S370 so I'm not sure what is going on.

Same here. I did read in a couple press releases stating the DLNA was gonna come via a firmware update. I'll find it and post a link.
post #66 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/10...or-blu-ray-3d/

Here is one press release. Notice next to DLNA is says "With firmware update."
post #67 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/10...or-blu-ray-3d/

Here is one press release. Notice next to DLNA is says "With firmware update."

Yep, I'm waiting do call Sony to complain about the misleading specs and hearing the guy saying " Didn't you look at the Crunchgear site ? "

To be fair, the Sony press release also mentions the firmware upgrade but we should make our choices based on the specs posted on their own website. All the mention about DLNA are on the same line as the USB disk support and the firmware upgrade can be for both or just one of them. On the website, it's clear that the USB support requires the upgrade (footnote) but there is no mention whatsoever of any upgrade for DLNA.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #68 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

For those interested, the Netflix support is very basic at this point. You can only see your instant queue and there is no visual index when seeking around. Also it seemed to take a while to start streaming compared to the Xbox.
post #69 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post

For those interested, the Netflix support is very basic at this point. You can only see your instant queue and there is no visual index when seeking around. Also it seemed to take a while to start streaming compared to the Xbox.

Looks like the same as the 460. The best interface is the one on the PS3 .

post #70 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
review is available at winstonsreviews.com
post #71 of 2844 Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

review is available at winstonsreviews.com

Thanks for the review. You didn't address the lack of DLNA despite the specs on the website clearly mentioning it as a feature. On the DVD quality, I have a problem to understand "competent' and "mediocre" at the same time.

Nevertheless, a nice review and I did appeciate your work.

post #72 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Still looking for opinions on CD and SACD playback. I'll be patient but hurry up!

Initial impressions are fine, I'm not planning to hold one to anything. Even if it is a rather small take on how this player sounds is fine on the one you own.
post #73 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Still looking for opinions on CD and SACD playback. I'll be patient but hurry up!

Initial impressions are fine, I'm not planning to hold one to anything. Even if it is a rather small take on how this player sounds is fine on the one you own.

I guess, if audio passed via HDMI then DVD player acts basically as transport, and audio quality will MOSTLY depend on your receiver/amp.
post #74 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Winston9332's review of the S470 didn't exactly win me over from my LG 390. I was more curious about the S570 but I'm sure it's similar to the S470 plus wifi.
post #75 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Let me see I've got this right.

The difference between the 370 and 470 is 3D (firmware update) and $20.
Difference between 470 and 570 is wifi and $50.

The guts of the 3 are more or less the same.

Is that right?
post #76 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK , got my S570 and tested everything I could. This is not a professional review since I'm not a pro.

-UNPACKING AND INSTALLING:

The box is very small, half the size of the 460 box. The player is also much smaller than the 460. The installation was a breeze because I basically removed my 460 and replaced it with the 570. I don't need the wireless, just hooket it to my Ethernet switch and set a fixed IP address like I do on any device I have.
The eject button on the player is almost impossible to find. Bring the remote.

The activation of both Netflix and Amazon can be a real pain and I had to register both again.

I changed the following settings from the default:
.Audio Mix to OFF
.Gracenote to AUTO
.Network settings to manual IP address.
.SACD to DSD
.IP Noise Reduction to zero

As soon as I turned the player on, a firmware update came up and its now version 315.

-BLURAY/DVD PICTURE QUALITY

Nothing new here. Bluray is great as it is with any other player and DVD is OK, nothing to brag about but decent. Professional reviews will give more info about cadence and other things, I spend my time watching movies not calibration disks.
Only thing new is the Gracenote that gives some info on the title but will interrupt playback and return the movie to start position.

-AMAZON/NETFLIX

If you know the 460, the interface is the same (very basic) but with an interesting difference on the audio side. With the 460 I can get DD 5.1 from Amazon and only get audio from Netflix if I set HDMI AUDIO to PCM. With the 570, all the streaming comes in PCM even if HDMI AUDIO is set to AUTO. I think it's a bug with the 460 that happens only with few receivers (no audio unless PCM is set) that is now fixed with the 570. I know, a little confusing.
There is an IP video noise reduction that defaults to 2. I set it to zero because I hate any kind of NR. Picture gets softer in most cases.
Picture quality with Amazon is good and so-so with Netflix but nothing that can be blamed on the player. BTW, my Internet connection is good, 18 Mbps hard-wired.
Gracenote doesn't work with Netflix or Amazon, but you don't need it.

-OTHER WEB SERVICES

There are 1 or 2 services not present on the 460 and few "coming soon". The most important is the Qriosity, from Sony, that promises to rival Netflix/Amazon. There is a Qriosity icon as a placeholder on the menu axis. More info here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/11/s...february-2010/

-DLNA

Doesn't exist. Firmware upgrade ? Shame on you Sony.

-USB DISK AND FILES SUPPORTED.

I used a pendrive to test quite a few file formats. Here is the result:

.M2TS Both movies recorded from my Canon Camcorder and the Hauppauge HD-PVR played perfectly. Great !
.MPG No problems, as expected.
.WMV Played without a glitch.
.MKV The video recorded with Makemkv didn't play at all (msg about corrupted file). The video recorded with Handbrake played but with a lot of pixelation.
.M4V Same as above. Also created by Handbrake.
.ISO Not recognized at all. Didn't show up on the playlist.
.MOV Same as above.
.AVI Same as above

I think the only good news so far is the flawless playback of the 2 M2TS files.

-SACD

This is the Grand Finale: Absolutely fantastic . My Pioneer 94 can take DSD direct (no PCM conversion) and the sound is great. I set the receiver to "pure direct" and the sound was warm, tube like, beautiful. Obviously the receiver plays the big role here but the 570 did everything you could expect.

MY SETUP:

.Panasonic P65V10
.Pioneer 64 receiver
.Sony BDP S570 player
.U-Verse 18 Mbps Internet Service
.Everything through HDMI links.

I hope I gave you some highlights on the 570. Overall it's a great deal and a bargain considering what it can do. Let's hope the DLNA upgrade comes soon and works as expected.

post #77 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

After asking twice to have the S570 included in this thread title, I opened the 570 owners thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18206009

post #78 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I packaged my 370 up and will RMA to Sony. The lack of DLNA out of the box and no future time frame did me in. Picked up a LG BD570 today.
post #79 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelentano View Post

I guess, if audio passed via HDMI then DVD player acts basically as transport, and audio quality will MOSTLY depend on your receiver/amp.

That I know but there are outputs for audio on the players, right?

Also, some transports are much better than others.
post #80 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I packaged my 370 up and will RMA to Sony. The lack of DLNA out of the box and no future time frame did me in. Picked up a LG BD570 today.

Quick and dirty comparison with the 370 would be helpful - I don't need DLNA so I'm interested in your insights between the two players in terms of ease of use, speed, streaming capabilities...

TIA

creative>energy

post #81 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

Quick and dirty comparison with the 370 would be helpful - I don't need DLNA so I'm interested in your insights between the two players in terms of ease of use, speed, streaming capabilities...

TIA

Netflix implementation is a big advantage to the LG. It has the newer UI similar to the XBOX 360 and the same as PS3. Picture quality is the same. Overall UI advantage Sony. Speed advantage LG.

Typing with 1 year old asleep in lap so sorry for crappy post.
post #82 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM

I actually prefer the LG UI; it's just less cluttered. LG's Netflix menu is more powerful, although I'm not as bothered as many seem to be by the lack of browsing ability on the Sony. Also, LG supports many more formats via USB playback. The limited formats Sony offers (no AVI??? some of my homemade WMVs won't play back audio???) are just ridiculous, and it's hard to think of any justification, besides Sony as a content provider's wanting to make it as hard as possible for people to use their own content.

Basically, if I weren't plagued and tormented by the notorious lipsync problem (I've tried *4* BD390s, as well as a BD570 and a BD590), I'd have the LG BD570 right now. I don't really see any significant advantages for the S370/470/570, except price, Amazon VOD, and SACD if that matters to you. As it is, though, I'm settling for the S470, and hoping that the DLNA firmware upgrade comes sooner rather than later. (I have one of those nice cheap little Philips DVD players which supports many more formats over USB, so I'll just use that for files until DLNA arrives.)
post #83 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

What is your setup? I've hears sending audio out as PCM eliminates the lip sync issue on Blu-ray.
post #84 of 2844 Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM

Sadly, it does not. (I have the simplest of setups: HDMI out directly to the TV, a Sony 37" LCD.) In my quality time with the LG players, I have changed every single video and audio setting. Multiple times. It's really the darnedest thing. Thanks, though.

I'm still playing with the S470. I think Netflix loads a little slower than it does on the LGs. And while the MKV file I tried to play via USB was recognized by the player, the video was pixellated as heck. I don't know; I'm not really feeling the love for this player. It just seems unfinished. Or else deliberately crippled.

Given the $179 list for the S370, I can see how it would make a decent option for someone who's only interested in playing discs and the occasional Netflix use, though.
post #85 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

After asking twice to have the S570 included in this thread title, I opened the 570 owners thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18206009

I did try to add the S570 to the header on this thread, but It didn't let me.

Sorry!
Jr.
post #86 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I did try to add the S570 to the header on this thread, but It didn't let me.

Sorry!
Jr.

I know, my msg was to the mods. Thanks. I still think they should merge the threads, though.

post #87 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraht View Post

Sadly, it does not. (I have the simplest of setups: HDMI out directly to the TV, a Sony 37" LCD.) In my quality time with the LG players, I have changed every single video and audio setting. Multiple times. It's really the darnedest thing. Thanks, though.

I'm still playing with the S470. I think Netflix loads a little slower than it does on the LGs. And while the MKV file I tried to play via USB was recognized by the player, the video was pixellated as heck. I don't know; I'm not really feeling the love for this player. It just seems unfinished. Or else deliberately crippled.

Given the $179 list for the S370, I can see how it would make a decent option for someone who's only interested in playing discs and the occasional Netflix use, though.

Saraht,

You have lip sync issues on all BDs codecs? I only have a problem with TrueHD and if I set the player to PCM, it solves it. Interesting that you are having problems with a straight run to the tv, no receiver.
post #88 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Slimoli,

Your review is very helpful. In fact, it has convinced me to keep my LG 390.
post #89 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Netflix implementation is a big advantage to the LG. It has the newer UI similar to the XBOX 360 and the same as PS3.

Has there been any indication that Sony will add the "newer Netflix UI" for these new models?
post #90 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Has there been any indication that Sony will add the "newer Netflix UI" for these new models?

None that I know of.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page