Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Newbie
 
saraht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rach, I've seen it on: (1) actual DVDs [episodes of Stargate: Atlantis] (2) movies streamed from Netflix [Breaking the Bank] and (3) .avis streamed via DLNA/EyeConnect (from my Mac) or played back from a USB drive. It's not consistent, but it's recurring. Honestly, I've wondered if I'm developing some weird lip-sync-paranoia issue, but it's pretty blatant at certain points. Setting the output to "Primary Pass-Through" reduces it somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it. No other output options seem to help. Switching temporarily to component didn't help. I don't have this problem with cable/PVR (via HDMI), or with video from my older DVD player (ditto), so it's hard for me to believe it's a problem with my TV. I admit to not being an A/V specialist, but I'm pretty good at monkeying with consumer electronics in general.

Still thinking about returning the S470...once the snow clears. Not a fan of the crippled USB playback.
saraht is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraht View Post

Rach, I've seen it on: (1) actual DVDs [episodes of Stargate: Atlantis] (2) movies streamed from Netflix [Breaking the Bank] and (3) .avis streamed via DLNA/EyeConnect (from my Mac) or played back from a USB drive. It's not consistent, but it's recurring. Honestly, I've wondered if I'm developing some weird lip-sync-paranoia issue, but it's pretty blatant at certain points. Setting the output to "Primary Pass-Through" reduces it somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it. No other output options seem to help. Switching temporarily to component didn't help. I don't have this problem with cable/PVR (via HDMI), or with video from my older DVD player (ditto), so it's hard for me to believe it's a problem with my TV. I admit to not being an A/V specialist, but I'm pretty good at monkeying with consumer electronics in general.

Still thinking about returning the S470...once the snow clears. Not a fan of the crippled USB playback.

Wow. If I had all of those problems, then I would return ASAP.
Rach is offline  
post #93 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Member
 
chelentano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

Let me see I've got this right.

The difference between the 370 and 470 is 3D (firmware update) and $20.
Difference between 470 and 570 is wifi and $50.

The guts of the 3 are more or less the same.

Is that right?


BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player

* Full HD 1080p single-disc Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD, SACD player
* BRAVIA Monolithic Design
* BRAVIA Internet Video and BD-LIVE
* Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
* Wireless LAN Ready (USB wireless LAN adapter sold separately)
* BD Remote (iPhone/iPod touch remote control - free app.)
* Photo/music/video playback via USB and DLNA (with firmware update)
* DVD upscaling to 1080p with Precision Cinema HD Upscaling
* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio decoding
* Availability: February
* Price: $179.99

BDP-S470

Like the BDP-S370, plus:

* Blu-ray 3D ready (with firmware update available this summer)
* Price: $199.99

BDP-S570

Like the BDP-S470, plus:

* IP Content Noise Reduction
* Built-in Wi-Fi Wireless (802.11) with Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
* Built-in 1GB Memory
* Price: $249.99

BDV-E570 Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System

* 1000W Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD, SA-CD 5.1 channel home theater system
* Blu-ray 3D ready (with firmware update available this summer)
* Monolithic Design
* BRAVIA Internet Video and BD-LIVE
* S-AIR ready for wireless rear and wireless multi-room speakers (sold separately)
* Wireless LAN Ready with included USB Wireless LAN adapter (802.11)
* Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
* BD Remote (iPhone/iPod touch remote control - free app.)
* Photo/Music/Video Playback via USB and DLNA (with firmware update)
* iPod audio playback via USB
* DVD upscaling to 1080p with Precision Cinema HD Upscaling
* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio decoding
* Built-in 1GB Memory
* Availability: March
* Price: $549.99

BDV-E770W Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System


Like the BDV-E570, plus:

* IP Content Noise Reduction
* Integrated S-AIR Wireless Rear Speaker
* Availability: March
* Price: $649.99

more specs: http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ay-1115051.htm
chelentano is offline  
post #94 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
smjbh5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelentano View Post

BDP-S370 Blu-ray Disc Player

* Full HD 1080p single-disc Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD, SACD player
* BRAVIA Monolithic Design
* BRAVIA Internet Video and BD-LIVE
* Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
* Wireless LAN Ready (USB wireless LAN adapter sold separately)
* BD Remote (iPhone/iPod touch remote control - free app.)
* Photo/music/video playback via USB and DLNA (with firmware update)
* DVD upscaling to 1080p with Precision Cinema HD Upscaling
* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio decoding
* Availability: February
* Price: $179.99

BDP-S470

Like the BDP-S370, plus:

* Blu-ray 3D ready (with firmware update available this summer)
* Price: $199.99

BDP-S570

Like the BDP-S470, plus:

* IP Content Noise Reduction
* Built-in Wi-Fi Wireless (802.11) with Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
* Built-in 1GB Memory
* Price: $249.99


more specs: http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ay-1115051.htm


I'm probably going to get the 470. The $20 difference to future proof is worth it to me. I don't need wireless and am not sure what IP Content Noise Reduction is. I like the built in memory, but an additional $50 is not worth it to me.

BTW, these are on bestbuy's site now. Amazon too, but sold via 3rd party. Now just waiting for the prices to come down a bit.
smjbh5 is offline  
post #95 of 2844 Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sonystyle showing the 470 and 570 for pre-order only again.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #96 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Member
 
cohenfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: sf bay area
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm still confused about dlna functionality on the 570...some early adopters have said it's not there, but it's a stated feature on sonystyle and in the press releases....
cohenfive is offline  
post #97 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

i'm still confused about dlna functionality on the 570...some early adopters have said it's not there, but it's a stated feature on sonystyle and in the press releases....

It's not there, trust me. Called Sony and the 1st CSR didn't even know what DLNA is all about. 2nd level support just told me it doesn't have DLNA,period. Nothing he knows is in development either, just the 3D upgrade in July. I have the S570.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #98 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Newbie
 
saraht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's definitely not there on the S470, which is also advertised on the sonystyle site as having it. If you want DLNA in a 2010 model, right now your choices seem to be the LG 570/590 or the Samsung 5500 (and presumably whatever their step-up model will be). Yes, even though Panasonic and Sony both claim that their models have it. They don't. I wouldn't be surprised if Insignia put out a model that had it before Panasonic and Sony get around to it.
saraht is offline  
post #99 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraht View Post

It's definitely not there on the S470, which is also advertised on the sonystyle site as having it. If you want DLNA in a 2010 model, right now your choices seem to be the LG 570/590 or the Samsung 5500 (and presumably whatever their step-up model will be). Yes, even though Panasonic and Sony both claim that their models have it. They don't. I wouldn't be surprised if Insignia put out a model that had it before Panasonic and Sony get around to it.

I wrote a review on Sonystyle.com but they didn't publish it. They only like the 5 stars review. I went to a Sonystyle store yesterday and they didn't know the DLNA wasn't available. They only had the S370 but all the information in their computer suggested DLNA was there. The new TVs have the DLNA and can stream files from a PC.

Panasonic is even worse. They advertise Netflix but it's not available yet and I don't think the DLNA is working either.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #100 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Newbie
 
saraht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post


Panasonic is even worse. They advertise Netflix but it's not available yet and I don't think the DLNA is working either.

Right on both counts. I've been through just about all the 2010 models (if I never set foot in Best Buy again, it'll be too soon), and, right now, only the new LGs and the Samsung 5500 deliver the services promised on the box.

Since (I believe) the S470 and the 5500 list at the same price, now that I've looked at them both, I'm not sure why you'd choose the S470, except Samsung's somewhat shaky reputation for long-term performance.
saraht is offline  
post #101 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Member
 
braxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a note here on my previous question. I called Sony Canada and asked the question if the 370 and 570 will output analog sound through the RCAs with SACD discs. They said "YES".
braxus is offline  
post #102 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraht View Post

Since (I believe) the S470 and the 5500 list at the same price, now that I've looked at them both, I'm not sure why you'd choose the S470, except Samsung's somewhat shaky reputation for long-term performance.

Well, that's a pretty big reason. Also, I don't see where the 5500 will be 3D-capable.
crbaldwin is online now  
post #103 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Winston, from winstonreviews.com , will contact Sony regarding the lack of DLNA on the Sx70s .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #104 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
gstelmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought my 370 from Best Buy today (wireless and 3D just are not important at all to me). Took a few minutes but I have it hooked up to my Netflix and Amazon accounts, and those seem to work just fine.

Okay, to answer the question below from the S360 manual and an Internet search: hold down the TV power button, enter the 2-digit code. 04 seems to work for Vizio for power and volume, but the INPUT button does not work.

One big, huge question though: anyone know how to set the code for the TV on the remote? The manual includes codes, but I can't find the instructions on how to actually enter the codes. There is also no code listed for Vizio TVs; anyone have any idea what that might be? Sony's site has a page for the remote, but no codes or manual are online yet.

I'll be disappointed if they don't come through on DLNA in an update, but there aren't many other options out there, and I'll get most of what I need through Amazon and Netflix, so I'm taking the chance for now.

-- Greg

gstelmack is offline  
post #105 of 2844 Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Newbie
 
saraht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's a valid point--the S370/470/570 will, allegedly, get 3D capability in a third-quarter firmware update. (Forgive me, but I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in the pinpoint accuracy of a claim like that from a company that is flat-out lying about the current capabilities of its machines in marketing. I'm sure it'll come, but I wouldn't bet the rent money on its coming in July.) So, the question is, during the life of this device, will the consumer buy (a) a 3D-capable TV and (b) enough 3D discs to make it worthwhile? For some people who are very into the idea of 3D, that will definitely be the case. I'd imagine that for more, it won't be. The companies are pushing 3D hard, but I don't expect the 3D market to be anywhere near ready for prime time (especially outside the realm of animation) until the next time I'm buying a player. So, for me personally, the ability to play back .avis via USB and DLNA outweigh the forthcoming 3D capability. But it's true that there may be some people who weigh the factors differently.
saraht is offline  
post #106 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
gstelmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did not think the 370 was going to get 3D capability, only the 470/570. 3D support is the only real difference between the 370/470 based on everything I'm reading.

-- Greg

gstelmack is offline  
post #107 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I did not think the 370 was going to get 3D capability, only the 470/570. 3D support is the only real difference between the 370/470 based on everything I'm reading.

True.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #108 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Member
 
srj45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello-

I'm not seeing the info I'm looking for anywhere. Can you use any brand USB wireless adapter for these players or is there a brand specific adapter needed (like for the Samsungs)?

Thanks
srj45 is offline  
post #109 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SpHeRe31459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srj45 View Post

Hello-

I'm not seeing the info I'm looking for anywhere. Can you use any brand USB wireless adapter for these players or is there a brand specific adapter needed (like for the Samsungs)?

Thanks

Yes there is a Sony specific wireless adapter, it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere yet. The model number is listed in the user manual it is called UWA-BR100.
SpHeRe31459 is offline  
post #110 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Member
 
srj45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for looking that up. Almost seems to be better to get the 570 if I need wifi. Who knows how much Sony will charge for the adapter .
srj45 is offline  
post #111 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Good and bad news on DLNA (or the lack of):

It will come, but only in July. Sony updated the footnote on their site that now reads:

"Requires home network with an 802.11 access point and DLNA enabled device (such as a PC). Firmware update required for DLNA functionality (available July 2010) "

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #112 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
spyfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Corvette City USA
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The way it's worded it sounds like it won't support DLNA over a wired connection. That wouldn't make any sense.
spyfy is offline  
post #113 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

The way it's worded it sounds like it won't support DLNA over a wired connection. That wouldn't make any sense.

Don't worry. The same footnote on the 370 and 470 doesn't mention any wireless connection. They are assuming that if you buy the S570 you will be using it's wireless N .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #114 of 2844 Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Talkstr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Los Altos, CA, USA
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraht View Post

It's definitely not there on the S470, which is also advertised on the sonystyle site as having it. If you want DLNA in a 2010 model, right now your choices seem to be the LG 570/590 or the Samsung 5500 (and presumably whatever their step-up model will be).

I just picked up an LG570 and am very impressed. It picked up all my DLNA servers (Buffalo NAS, several apps running on the Mac and PC) and streamed everything I threw at it over wireless, including DivX and H.264. Only glitch is it doesn't appear FF/Rew are supported on H.264.

Pandora and some other apps are nice, too.

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
Talkstr8t is offline  
post #115 of 2844 Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SpHeRe31459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see there's a new firmware update that was issued over the weekend. It says it fixes Netflix streaming quality issues. Version 315.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=5519&os_id=7
SpHeRe31459 is offline  
post #116 of 2844 Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

I see there's a new firmware update that was issued over the weekend. It says it fixes Netflix streaming quality issues. Version 315.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=5519&os_id=7

Yes, available online since last Thursday.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #117 of 2844 Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
steve1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KC Metro
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi,

I am thinking of getting this player but i read this from the OP and was a bit confused....

Booting takes about 15 seconds with quick start off and about 5 seconds with quick start enable. Loading time is the fastest I've ever seen. I have a PS3 and I say it rivals that of the PS3.

There has to be a logical explanation but if the player is capable of booting in 5 seconds then why is it an option? I mean why not just make it boot in 5 seconds all the time instead of making someone choose it as an option? Is it a power consumption deal or something?

Thanks

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
steve1022 is offline  
post #118 of 2844 Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slimoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Miami area
Posts: 4,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Hi,

I am thinking of getting this player but i read this from the OP and was a bit confused....

Booting takes about 15 seconds with quick start off and about 5 seconds with quick start enable. Loading time is the fastest I've ever seen. I have a PS3 and I say it rivals that of the PS3.

There has to be a logical explanation but if the player is capable of booting in 5 seconds then why is it an option? I mean why not just make it boot in 5 seconds all the time instead of making someone choose it as an option? Is it a power consumption deal or something?

Thanks

It IS a power consumption deal. Quick start keeps some components "ready" but wastes a bit more of energy.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
slimoli is offline  
post #119 of 2844 Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
steve1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KC Metro
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

It IS a power consumption deal. Quick start keeps some components "ready" but wastes a bit more of energy.

Thank you slimoli

I am really digging the s370. Saw one today at Best Buy and it is like half the size of any other BD player in the store. Plus I liked how the buttons were on the little flat piece pointing up instead of directly on the face of the unit. Neat design but one thing I didn't see was an eject button on the player itself but I'm sure it's there somewhere otherwise how would you get it open and closed if you lost the remote

I'm in deep thought now on how I'm gonna get the approval from the wife after just upgrading our TV to a Bravia. I'll probably just lower my head and hit it head on, she should know it's coming anyway otherwise it's her own fault for not realizing that now that the TV is 1080p watching only regular SD DVD's is not an option anymore

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
steve1022 is offline  
post #120 of 2844 Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
257roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the s370 a few days ago and really like it. Netflix loads faster than and seems more stable than my son's XB360. The picture quality seems pretty good on Netflix and great on the HD Amazon on demand service. Only thing is it is a little tedious to get your Netflix account activated. You first have to sign up for the Sony Style account then get a code which you then use on the Netflix site. For the Amazon on demand, it is similar but a little easier since if you signed up for Netflix you will already have the Sony Style account. I like the S370 interface, after a few minutes it seems intuitive and changes from one option to the other pretty quickly. The DVD upconversion seems pretty good, at least as good as my other Sony DVD player which is a DVP-NS710. After reading about the LG or one of the other brands not being ready for Netflix when the box says it does, it was an easy choice to choose the S370. I am hopeing a FW update gets a browser for the Netflix option. I think the Panasonic that I was looking at too did not have the coaxial digital audio out which I needed. Unless the player becomes unreliable, I would purchase it again.
257roberts is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off