post #2521 of 2849 Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Panasonic 110/210/310 also have the same interface as the PS3 and Roku 2. Better bang for the buck IMO since the 110 is around $115 and is also a great blu-ray player. You can sell the Avatar 3D disc that comes free by mail and get most of your money back ($100 or so).

I just bought the 110 and it's not same interface as the ps3. The ps3 and the roku 2 are much better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2849 Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM

Liked: 10
Oops. So much for that option. Thanks for the update. Back to the Roku it appears.
post #2523 of 2849 Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkske View Post

Hi everyone. I have the Sony BDP-S470 and I have an audio problem. When I play a file (mkv) on a USB-stick (I've tried it with front- and back usb) the subwoofer doesn't kick in. This has always worked fine, but since yesterday it doesn't. The file plays and there is sound, but no bass. When I play a DVD/Blu-ray everything is okay and there is plenty of bass.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please ignore this. When my wife was dusting she accidentally changed the settings on my receiver and changed my speakers from small to large which turned the subwoofer off. Problem solved.
post #2524 of 2849 Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi, I've tried researching this a lot and I've not got anywhere..

I have a problem with my BDP-S370 and media servers in general. I'm trying to play content from my VPCEA15FG Vaio laptop on my Sony TV via my BDP-S370 bru ray player.

1. With PS3 Media Server, on the BDP-S370, all the media files are listed but:
- When I try to play MP3 files, it shows a message saying 'This file is corrupted or the music file is not supported'.
- When I try to view .jpg files, there's a grey logo of a broken picture on screen.
- When I try to play video of any kind, the message says 'The file is corrupt or unsupported'.

2. With Sony Vaio Media Plus, the software doesn't get past the Initial Settings screen on my Vaio VCPEA15FG notebook. Similarly with Media Gallery by Vaio - it doesn't get past the Firewall config screen. So I'm unable to use these tools.

3. With Windows Media Player 12, I am unable to see the BDP-S370 under 'All Networks' when I click on the Stream option of WMP12.

4. I've tried Serviio and it only shows some of the files (pictures, music or video) that I've shared and the classification doesn't work very well. e.g. folder view doesn't look anything like the folders I have on my laptop.

Can someone please help make my PS3 Media Server work? Alternatively can they help me with Vaio Media Plus?

Cheers..
post #2525 of 2849 Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jaishankar View Post

Can someone please help make my PS3 Media Server work? Alternatively can they help me with Vaio Media Plus?

The only way that I know of to get PS3MS to work with the BDP-S370 is to download the source code, patch it, and compile it. I have a working patch in the BDP-Sx70 thread over at the PS3MS forum - but it only works with particular revisions of the source code. I doesn't work with the latest.

-

post #2526 of 2849 Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So what happened to Fearnet on the Sony players?

When I first got my 370, Fearnet was one of the video options and had some pretty cool movies to stream. All SD, but free.

Then for several months, all it had was the same clips of some horror conventions.

Now it's not there at all.

WTF?

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2527 of 2849 Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

So what happened to Fearnet on the Sony players?

When I first got my 370, Fearnet was one of the video options and had some pretty cool movies to stream. All SD, but free.

Then for several months, all it had was the same clips of some horror conventions.

Now it's not there at all.

WTF?

Perhaps you were the only one using it?
post #2528 of 2849 Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got the S470, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing options in my audio menu...

Audio HDMI- Only see "Auto" and "PCM". Does this player not support bit-stream?
Audio DRC - I only get 3 options - "Auto", "Norma"l, "Wide Range". Where is "off"? Is Wide-Range off?

I've got the latest firmware, and I'm hooked up to a Yamaha v867 which should be able to handle bit-streamed audio, so not sure why the Sony isn't showing me these options...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #2529 of 2849 Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Bitstream is sent to the receiver when Audio HDMI = "Auto". However, BD Audio Mix needs to be set to "Off" also.

I would presume that Audio DRC needs to be set to "Auto" to be off - but I'm not sure.

-

post #2530 of 2849 Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

I've got the S470, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing options in my audio menu...

Audio HDMI- Only see "Auto" and "PCM". Does this player not support bit-stream?
Audio DRC - I only get 3 options - "Auto", "Norma"l, "Wide Range". Where is "off"? Is Wide-Range off?

I've got the latest firmware, and I'm hooked up to a Yamaha v867 which should be able to handle bit-streamed audio, so not sure why the Sony isn't showing me these options...

Sony lets the HDMI handshake determine whether to bitstream or to decode for PCM output. When Audio HDMI is set to Auto (with Mix set to Off), the player will bitstream to receivers with the needed decoders.

DRC Wide Range = Off
post #2531 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having trouble getting multi-channel sound on some sources from the optical out on my 370, into old reliable Samsung HT-DM550. I'm hoping to find out what others now about the limitations of the 370 player.

Simply:

1. I want SACD source multichannel out on the optical. So far I've only been able to get 2-channel?

2. Get MC audio from streaming sources, (Amazon/Netflix via internet)

Any ideas/help/settings combinations I should use?

On the 370, does the audio from all these MC sources only come out on the DHMI?

If the MC can only come out on the HDMI I'll need a recevier upgrade (or a player upgrade.) What receiver solutions are you all using to get MC stream/DLNA/SACD?

TIA!
post #2532 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM

re: I want SACD source multichannel out on the optical. So far I've only been able to get 2-channel?

Impossible over SPDIF.

-

post #2533 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for replying Grolschie,

Do you mean to confirm that, from a SACD disc, the player cannot put any multichannel audio out on SPDIF? Why is that, is it a limit of the player and/or SPDIF?

On the S370, does the 5.1 audio from streamed sources even come out on HDMI?
post #2534 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM

You can bitstream the multi-channel legacy DTS and Dolby Digital formats via SPDIF. You cannot bitstream DSD (from SACD) or the HD Audio codecs. You cannot send PCM 5.1 either via SPDIF. PCM stereo is the max, due to bandwidth restraints of SPDIF.

I cannot answer regarding multi-channel audio from streamed sources, since I don't have access to these. I can bitstream multi-channel Dolby Digital and DTS via SPDIF using a DLNA server though.

-

post #2535 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Comments in >red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post
1. I want SACD source multichannel out on the optical. So far I've only been able to get 2-channel?
>The player will convert DSD to PCM and downmix it to stereo for output over optical, as 2 channels of PCM is the limitation of the S/PDIF protocol. If you had a receiver with HDMI, then you could get multichannel PCM from the player. Or, if the AVR processed DSD, you could bitsream it over HDMI.

2. Get MC audio from streaming sources, (Amazon/Netflix via internet)

>That's certainily possible with optical. But, many streaming sources only offer stereo. Netflix, for example, only does encoded 5.1 with the PS3 and a couple of other devices.

Any ideas/help/settings combinations I should use?

On the 370, does the audio from all these MC sources only come out on the DHMI?
>No. Optical supports DD 5.1 and DTS, but not DSD or multichannel PCM. So, you are limited to stereo with SACD. And, the streaming problem is likely the source, not the optical connection you are using. HDMI would not help with that.

post #2536 of 2849 Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info guys!! It does seem that Wide Range = off...Why not just have an "off" option instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Sony lets the HDMI handshake determine whether to bitstream or to decode for PCM output. When Audio HDMI is set to Auto (with Mix set to Off), the player will bitstream to receivers with the needed decoders.

DRC Wide Range = Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Bitstream is sent to the receiver when Audio HDMI = "Auto". However, BD Audio Mix needs to be set to "Off" also.

I would presume that Audio DRC needs to be set to "Auto" to be off - but I'm not sure.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #2537 of 2849 Old 09-17-2011, 12:29 PM

I have a strange problem with this player I keep forgetting to ask. It's happened with numerous versions of firmware right now I'm on the latest M04.R.787

I'll be watching something usually streaming Netflix, and the screen goes pink, and the player is unresponsive. Sometimes it reboots it's self other times I have to get up and unplug it and plug it back in. I'm trying to remember if it's done it with a blu-ray. Used to be occasional but in the last couple days it's done it three times.

Anyone else had this happen?
post #2538 of 2849 Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 PM

I've had it happen. It didn't use to do it either. I find I have to hit the power button on the unit and wait.
post #2539 of 2849 Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofabix View Post

I have a strange problem with this player I keep forgetting to ask. It's happened with numerous versions of firmware right now I'm on the latest M04.R.787

I'll be watching something usually streaming Netflix, and the screen goes pink, and the player is unresponsive. Sometimes it reboots it's self other times I have to get up and unplug it and plug it back in. I'm trying to remember if it's done it with a blu-ray. Used to be occasional but in the last couple days it's done it three times.

Anyone else had this happen?

That happened to me once, a while a go, but with a DVD
post #2540 of 2849 Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
You may want to try doing a full player reset back to defaults.... and if you have additional BD-Live USB memory; delete that as well...
post #2541 of 2849 Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Target has the S380 on clearance sale for $98. I bought one for the bedroom (I have an S370 on the main TV).

Compared to the 370, it's just a bit different. The remote is shorter, missing the Theater and advance/replay keys, but gaining a mute key. I several times picked it up backwards and was wondering why the cursor keys were working backwards! For the player itself, it seems mostly the same, with the addition of VUDU support.

Now I have to get an Ethernet switch so I can get it permanently connected. I had to temporarily disconnect my Vonage to let it update the firmware and to register it to Sony and Netflix.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2542 of 2849 Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Target has the S380 on clearance sale for $98. I bought one for the bedroom (I have an S370 on the main TV).
...For the player itself, it seems mostly the same, with the addition of VUDU support...

Hey, just F.Y.I. Target doesn't run their clearance items in a massively uniform way. If you go to deals sites you will see it's very much YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) as to what is and isn't (yet) on clearence and then what the prices (what percent clearence rate) the item is at. For example. You may find an item at it's final clearance stage (before they pull the item and sell it as scrap or to a discount vender) at a much lower price than someone else in another store. This has been verified over and over with price scanning the items. You'd think since they have computerized inventory that they'd have some uniformity to the clearancing discounts from store to store but they don't. Perhaps the computer holds / slows the rate at which an item is clearenced in stores where more of them were sold vs a store where few if any were sold (just a guess) --> i like to think there is some order to how / why. I have a relative that works for Target Corp. I wish I'd remember to ask him.

It gets some people mad bc they drive to the store expecting to get the same deal and in some cases they find the items not discounted / clearance marked at all (then they get angry and call the other person a liar etc.) until the person posts the receipts.

----------------------------------------------------------
Did you get a $5.99 credit when you signed up for VUDU? I love when they do that.

post #2543 of 2849 Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

I just bought the 110 and it's not same interface as the ps3. The ps3 and the roku 2 are much better.

I own the ps3 slim. I also have the panasonic 210 model. the 210 netflix can do DD+ which the ps3 cannt do. I have an older roku and its very limited.

Jacob
post #2544 of 2849 Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I own the ps3 slim. I also have the panasonic 210 model. the 210 netflix can do DD+ which the ps3 cannt do. I have an older roku and its very limited.

Jacob,

Any chance of posting pictures of your Netflix interface? I'd like to consider getting one for a family member for the holidays but only if it's at least equal to the PS3 experience.
post #2545 of 2849 Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

Hey, just F.Y.I. Target doesn't run their clearance items in a massively uniform way. *

The 'clearance' note was in the weekly ad in the Sunday paper. It's not necessarily unique to a particular store, although inventory will only last so long.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2546 of 2849 Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

Jacob,

Any chance of posting pictures of your Netflix interface? I'd like to consider getting one for a family member for the holidays but only if it's at least equal to the PS3 experience.

http://news.cnet.com/panasonic-viera...0058587-1.html

try here.

Jacob
post #2547 of 2849 Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi , i just got a Sony S470 , did the firmware update .
Play , dvd , blu-ray and BD9 without any problems.

Cant get any of my MKV file to play .
Got my USB stick format in FAT32 , got my files split , so they are under 4gb. I alway come with the incompatible file , not supported message.

Informations took from Mediainfo about it, please have a look ,and let me know what the problem is.

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@0.0
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2h 34mn
Bit rate : 5 437 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.336

thx
post #2548 of 2849 Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM

My biggest annoyance with my 370 is the ridiculous start-up processes:

I turn on the unit. I select Netflix. I sometimes get a notice saying that it's checking the network connection. Fine. But then often it drops back to the main menu. I select Netflix AGAIN. Sometimes it will then again check the network connection AGAIN and sometimes it will even drop me back to the main menu yet again!!!!

Then, sometimes I choose Netflix and it gives me some sort of 3-stage check and does the above except with this 3-stage check.

This is lunacy. Do what you need to do but when you're done put me where I told you I wanted to be.
post #2549 of 2849 Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Interestingly, Serviio shows up and can be accessed even when Internet Video (e.g. YouTube) still isn't ready. It must be checking some server somewhere in internet-land.

-

post #2550 of 2849 Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

My biggest annoyance with my 370 is the ridiculous start-up processes:

I turn on the unit. I select Netflix. I sometimes get a notice saying that it's checking the network connection. Fine. But then often it drops back to the main menu. I select Netflix AGAIN. Sometimes it will then again check the network connection AGAIN and sometimes it will even drop me back to the main menu yet again!!!!

Then, sometimes I choose Netflix and it gives me some sort of 3-stage check and does the above except with this 3-stage check.

This is lunacy. Do what you need to do but when you're done put me where I told you I wanted to be.

We have 2 370 units (2 diff locations - both Comcast internet) and they both handle Netflix w. no problems. Both are on same Netflix acct.
FWIW - One is connected via HDMI, the other via component. Both are hardwired to internet (not via wifi). Bought them both early last spring. One at compUSA, Miami - the other via Amazon.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page