Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 2844 Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Couldn't you temporarily disconnect the Ethernet for the problem movies?

Otherwise, I haven't had any real issues. The 769 update was nearly a year ago. A few times, I have had the player lock up, usually if I try to skip over a block of previews of something too fast. I had to hold down the power button on the player to get it to shut down. It usually works fine the next time.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2844 Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=andyross63;21987320]Couldn't you temporarily disconnect the Ethernet for the problem movies?[/QUOTE

Thanks. Sure. Or in my case the USB WiFi. Not ideal, but a work-around.

-

post #2703 of 2844 Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Hi there,

I just joined this forum because I am seeking some help, and I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have an MKV file on a Dual Layer DVD-R with 2ch AC-3 384Kbps audio. I am trying to watch the file on a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray Player. The video is working perfectly fine, but I cannot hear any sound. DVD and Blu-Ray disc audio normally works fine in the player.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #2704 of 2844 Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Couldn't you temporarily disconnect the Ethernet for the problem movies?

Otherwise, I haven't had any real issues. The 769 update was nearly a year ago. A few times, I have had the player lock up, usually if I try to skip over a block of previews of something too fast. I had to hold down the power button on the player to get it to shut down. It usually works fine the next time.

Hi, yes I've tried offline and online with cable and the player locks up. I hope Sony releases a new update, I've just updated to this version a week ago. The player was fine before that. Thanks!
post #2705 of 2844 Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Could be the title is copy protected by cinevia which is embedded in the audio stream. Just guessing.

post #2706 of 2844 Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

did you unload the unit before processing the update...

general rule of thumb of updating update with a empty unit.. whether you do update via disc or via direct download..

if update fails to install then look at getting an update disc via snail mail or try redownloading it as sometimes downloads go bad requiring for you to redownload the entire file
post #2707 of 2844 Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Could be the title is copy protected by cinevia which is embedded in the audio stream. Just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

did you unload the unit before processing the update...

general rule of thumb of updating update with a empty unit.. whether you do update via disc or via direct download..

if update fails to install then look at getting an update disc via snail mail or try redownloading it as sometimes downloads go bad requiring for you to redownload the entire file

Hi thanks for the replies, the player was updated directly from the internet with ethernet cable, there was no disc inside, and the update finished without error messages. I don't know about that cinevia protection, can I disable it?
post #2708 of 2844 Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM

post #2709 of 2844 Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM

I have one of these Blu-Ray players and I am trying to stream movies from my wireless laptop and desktop computer to it. The Bluray player is connected to my Belkin wireless router / modem via ethernet.

The player has the internet on as I can use internet video, crackle etc but cant see my computers on it.

I have played around with the Belkin Settings in 192.168.2.1 and put the ip address of the Blu-Ray Playing in the DMZ part and it worked, I can now see the computer on the player. Now how do I get this player to see my computers without being in the DMZ?

Help please
post #2710 of 2844 Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You need to be running the proper media software. For Windows, I think you have to enable something if you want to use Media Player. I've played around with Serviio, which is open-source.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2711 of 2844 Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Serviio works well with these players. It's free and "uses some open-source libraries" but it's not (as far as I am aware) open-source.

-

post #2712 of 2844 Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM

ok thanks, does anyone know what I need to enable to use with Windows Media?

What is the best to use WMP, Serviio or PS3 Media Player?
post #2713 of 2844 Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80xer5antar05 View Post

ok thanks, does anyone know what I need to enable to use with Windows Media?

What is the best to use WMP, Serviio or PS3 Media Player?

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...19860&fes=true
post #2714 of 2844 Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Sony UK uploaded this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwtBQJadBL8

I haven't used WMP 12, but Serviio works well. I personally gave up on PS3 Media Server with my BDP-S370 - but things may have changed since then.

-

post #2715 of 2844 Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
I've owned the S370 since Christmas 2010. I've connected to the internet and streamed music using the Sony wifi dongle using the 5GHZ signal from my Netgear router. Until recently, the arrangement worked well. I was able to stream Netflix and Amazon at high quality wiith little, if any, re-buffering. Pandora ran like a champ.

Lately, though, Pandora disconnects, trying to stream music using WMP 12 is a pain and when I check network connections, the player says "internet connection failed." The system, to my knowledge, didn't change: same hardware, same software. I don't have this problem with the PS3 and Apple TV in the living room. Signal strength is fine. My ISP is still delivering the goods.

Any ideas? No, ethernet is not an option.

Thanks
post #2716 of 2844 Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Ok using Serviio to stream Movies to my Sony BDP-S370. Is there any way to display cover art of my movies on the player?
post #2717 of 2844 Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80xer5antar05 View Post

Ok using Serviio to stream Movies to my Sony BDP-S370. Is there any way to display cover art of my movies on the player?

What program are you using to get your movies onto a HD to serve to your player? I tried using blu ray decrypter but it just picked random files off the BR to put on the drive and then I would get a Spanish version of Fifth Element or something like that...
post #2718 of 2844 Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM

@ 80xer5antar05: Apparently, the BDP-S370/470/570 cannot display thumbnails for music or videos over DLNA.

-

post #2719 of 2844 Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Ok thanks
Might look string a Boxee down the track. I've read this can do it along with information on what the movie is about?

Would Boxee be the best bet?
post #2720 of 2844 Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM

I need help with streaming. Up until a few days ago, I had been using twonky perfectly to watch videos, but as of a couple days ago when ever I tried to open it an error message popped up (No playable file) I couldn't find a solution so I tried a different server. Serviio, which has the exact same problem.

I can use Windos Media, but the quality is horrible, and half the files won't play because of the extension.

Any solutions?
post #2721 of 2844 Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodHQ View Post

I need help with streaming. Up until a few days ago, I had been using twonky perfectly to watch videos, but as of a couple days ago when ever I tried to open it an error message popped up (No playable file) I couldn't find a solution so I tried a different server. Serviio, which has the exact same problem.

I can use Windos Media, but the quality is horrible, and half the files won't play because of the extension.

Any solutions?

That seems strange. Can either server access the files on your drive? Could it be a file/folder permissions change?

Probably best to direct your questions to:
http://community.twonky.com/twonky
http://forum.serviio.org/

You can check the Serviio log file to see what's going on. You might need to turn on detailed logging (info for that on the Serviio forums).

-

post #2722 of 2844 Old 06-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

That seems strange. Can either server access the files on your drive? Could it be a file/folder permissions change?

Probably best to direct your questions to:
http://community.twonky.com/twonky
http://forum.serviio.org/

You can check the Serviio log file to see what's going on. You might need to turn on detailed logging (info for that on the Serviio forums).

Damn, I guess I¿ll have to, I figured I'd ask here first since it seemed like the player was the problem
post #2723 of 2844 Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 AM

The glitches seem to be happening with mostly recordable dvd's. I have had this unit for about 2 years with no problems. Now as I watch a movie the screen will go blank for a few seconds or a minute and then come back... My Tv is 720 and I had noticed that the player was set to 1080 so I corrected that thinking that was the problem.. nope. Any suggestions.. I tried my old disc cleaner with the little brush on the disc..
post #2724 of 2844 Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM

I have a Sony BDP-S470 Blu Ray player and I'm using a component to VGA cable, which I have hooked up to my computer monitor.

It seems like the color scale is wrong, as it clips the below-black/above white information. There doesn't seem to be any way to correct this as the color scale settings only effect the HDMI connection. I have it hooked up to my Dell [IN1910Nb] 720p monitor and I can't seem to do anything on the settings for that either. I'm at a loss.
post #2725 of 2844 Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Component video uses a different color encoding than VGA does (Y'CbCr vs RGB), so the problem might be in the conversion between the two signals. In other words, your "cable" includes active electronics which might be limiting the signal.

Please provide the exact manufacturer and model of the converter. Someone might be able to suggest one that's better.

Selden
post #2726 of 2844 Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Is there any way to increase the font size for subtitles when playing an avi or mkv on a BD370 ?
post #2727 of 2844 Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Species: Yes, you figured out the answer to your own question. Any disc whose menus are Java-driven (basically, most menus; anything with motion--the talking skull on the POtC discs is an excellent example) eliminates your ability to 'resume play.' Completely different world than Java-less DVD.

I spent some time tonight trying to get a BD to resume play. All my attempts came to naught.

But now, after realizing the difference in the Java-less DVD and the Java Driven BDs.... I see the difference, and I know why I was able to resume play on some disc awhile back.... it was obviously a DVD Disc!

I HATE all BD Java driven Menus..... I don't need (or want) that crap !!! I just want to watch a good movie, and I AM NOT looking to be entertained by a moving menu --- with all of it's darn spoilers !!! I would that there was a "NO Frills" Menu defualt option available for playing all BD discs.

Technology has taken a real couple of steps backward here, imo.

Moving Menus is NOT an acceptable tradeoff for no resume play function.

What or who is drivng this Industry standard ? ? ?

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #2728 of 2844 Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

I spent some time tonight trying to get a BD to resume play. All my attempts came to naught.
But now, after realizing the difference in the Java-less DVD and the Java Driven BDs.... I see the difference, and I know why I was able to resume play on some disc awhile back.... it was obviously a DVD Disc!
I HATE all BD Java driven Menus..... I don't need (or want) that crap !!! I just want to watch a good movie, and I AM NOT looking to be entertained by a moving menu --- with all of it's darn spoilers !!! I would that there was a "NO Frills" Menu defualt option available for playing all BD discs.
Technology has taken a real couple of steps backward here, imo.
Moving Menus is NOT an acceptable tradeoff for no resume play function.
What or who is drivng this Industry standard ? ? ?

FWIW, I recently had a new experience watching the Men In Black II BD in prep for seeing MIB 3. On my Panny DMP-BDT350, pressing Play after pressing Stop once eventually (after a progress bar indicating the disc load) took me back to where I previously was in the movie with the movie image covered in black (but not entirely obscured) and these words in white text in the middle of the screen: "Resume Playback?" and the options "Yes" and "No."

Your post motivated me to check this on my 370 470 and the exact same thing occurred upon stopping the movie with one press of Stop and them pressing Play. The original MIB (1997) BD behaves the same way. These are the newest SPHE BDs I've spun (both were released last month). I would certainly think that the film score and movie clips that play in these discs' main menus require Java but I could be wrong. Perhaps Sony's authoring house has engineered a way to author around this long-standing issue?

P.S. - I just tried pressing Stop twice and the Resume Playback function still worked on the 370 470 with MIB II.

6/28/12 correction: I have the 470 not the 370.
post #2729 of 2844 Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
Disney gets this right (asks you if you want to resume from last stop when you go to play the movie again), but it's one of the few...

-- Greg

post #2730 of 2844 Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 13
What I had hoped for, was to be able to stop the BD, and turn off the player, and then, later turn on the player, and press Play, and pick up where I left off. With BDs, I have not found a way yet, to do that....

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page