Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 2849 Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 350
^^^
Good info. Thanks for posting. But you need to revise your title and summary slightly. All those models are 2011 and earlier. All 2012 and beyond do support Netflix in DD 5.1. So your title should read "Pre-2012...".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2849 Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
Good info. Thanks for posting. But you need to revise your title and summary slightly. All those models are 2011 and earlier. All 2012 and beyond do support Netflix in DD 5.1. So your title should read "Pre-2012...".

Thanks. I changed the summary, but I don't seem to have the ability to change the title.

By the way, I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a a 'master' thread for all Sony Blu Ray players where a post like mine would be most useful.

(At other bulletin board websites, like HowardForums for cell phones, there are sub-forums for each major manufacturer, in addition to "official" threads on equipment models.)

Although I happen to to have the S370 Costco version, this issue affects many other Sony's.

post #2823 of 2849 Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 350
^^^
Yes, the sub-forums around here are more general. There are many threads that could be consolidated but never will be. There are new models every year that seem to have a common set of core features. So grouping by model year seems to work best. The first person who feels like it starts an "Official (fill in the blank) ..." thread, and it grows from there. I think what you posted was already common knowledge, but not necessarily easy to find in each model's thread, so it's good that you posted it. It will save anyone who buys an older player on ebay a lot of grief.

You can always report your own post to a mod using the flag button, and they will fix the title for you. The mods are pretty active around here.

post #2824 of 2849 Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry if this has been covered earlier. I did go through ~30 pages and got tired of looking. I just set up an external HDD on my Netgear WNDR3800. I have then converted some DVDs to file formats to play via DLNA on my S370. None will play. They do play however on my Sharp 70". I then downloaded Sony's test file and that is seen but I can not get it to see any of the other files I have encoded. I checked the website and found which file formats, extensions, etc... are supported and encoded in that format but none are recognized.

So, I guess my question is has anyone gotten this to work correctly? If so, what program did you use to encode your video and in what format and settings? I have updated to the latest firmware already. Any help is greatly appreciated! I have tried divx AVI, mt2s, mp4, and a few other tries with avi.
post #2825 of 2849 Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Hello. If you have a PC that is powered on during the day, I recommend downloading Serviio. It works nicely with this Blu-Ray player as the player can play many codecs natively.

-

post #2826 of 2849 Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Hello. If you have a PC that is powered on during the day, I recommend downloading Serviio. It works nicely with this Blu-Ray player as the player can play many codecs natively.

That's what I an trying to avoid; having a PC on all the time. The netgears are DLNA certified. However, if I can't ge tthis working a PC might be the only option.

Oh, and thank you for the response!
post #2827 of 2849 Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM

No problem. I'm not sure if the actual config for individual devices is accessibly on the router - it might need a custom config for this blu-ray player. You might be better off asking Netgear support, or posting at the Netgear forum.

I have found when trying other DLNA servers, that this blu-ray player (our's is an NZ model) can play a decent amount of video formats via DLNA if the files are renamed to an .avi extension. But you have already tried .avi files.

-

post #2828 of 2849 Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Ok, so I received a nib Sony BDP-S470 as a gift, and decided to hook it up just to check things out (perhaps to use in a different room). I normally use a PS3, so hooked this up to the same LG plasma to compare. Upon initial startup, the XMB menu was very noisy/grainy/snowy...hard to describe, but little white dots all over the screen moving fast. Anyway...so I figured this thing has probably been sitting forgotten for a couple years, so I downloaded the latest firmware update (9 updates??). Still noisy. Ok, maybe it's just an old crappy version of the XMB menu? Looks like it. So I loaded Hulu Plus and still grainy...noise just everywhere...even on static screens and with shows paused. Ok, lemme try a bluray disc. No grainy noise, and the picture looks great (2D, can't test 3D...damn glasses are too expensive). So it's not the HDMI cable. Anyone else having this issue? Did I just get a defective unit? Is there an easy fix? Not seeing anything in the limited menus available on the machine, and google is failing me. Thanks!

Edit: I switched HDMI cables and same result...except now the XMB menu will intermittently go black for a half a second. Thinking I just wasted a bunch of precious time on a POS. Ugh.
post #2829 of 2849 Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was wondering if anyone can send me the very latest firmware update for the Sony BDP-S370 (Version M03.R.794 - 10/22/2013) on a disc?
I am located in Dublin, Ireland and in return I can give you the following UV Codes for 'Elysium', 'The Conjuring' and 'The Lone Ranger' (all valid US codes).
post #2830 of 2849 Old 03-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

I was wondering if anyone can send me the very latest firmware update for the Sony BDP-S370 (Version M03.R.794 - 10/22/2013) on a disc?
I am located in Dublin, Ireland and in return I can give you the following UV Codes for 'Elysium', 'The Conjuring' and 'The Lone Ranger' (all valid US codes).
Its still available from Sony for download.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS370&LOC=3#/downloadTab
post #2831 of 2849 Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post

Its still available from Sony for download.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS370&LOC=3#/downloadTab

Thanks- unfortunately pc's are not my strong point and I had difficulty understanding how to download f'ware update properly. redface.gif
Offer still open of 3 x free UV downloads. (I also now have 2 additional titles UK codes if you know how to download those- 'Taken 2' and 'Philomena')
post #2832 of 2849 Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks- unfortunately pc's are not my strong point and I had difficulty understanding how to download f'ware update properly. redface.gif
Offer still open of 3 x free UV downloads. (I also now have 2 additional titles UK codes if you know how to download those- 'Taken 2' and 'Philomena')

http://esupport.sony.com/LA/perl/support-info.pl?template_id=1&info_id=605

Sony-BurnUpgradeCDforBluRay.pdf 15k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony-BurnUpgradeCDforBluRay.pdf (14.5 KB, 8 views)

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2833 of 2849 Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link but I'm still not comfortable with it and don't have a dvd burner either redface.gif
post #2834 of 2849 Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link but I'm still not comfortable with it and don't have a dvd burner either redface.gif
All you need is a small thumbdrive and load the new file on that from your computer then plug it into the blu ray player and run the program.
I can email the file to you if you like.
post #2835 of 2849 Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post

All you need is a small thumbdrive and load the new file on that from your computer then plug it into the blu ray player and run the program.
I can email the file to you if you like.

I'm not aware that it is possible to update firmware on this player (Sony S370/S470/S570 series) via a USB thumb drive. Do you have one of these players and have actually updated firmware using a USB thumb drive?

post #2836 of 2849 Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I'm not aware that it is possible to update firmware on this player (Sony S370/S470/S570 series) via a USB thumb drive. Do you have one of these players and have actually updated firmware using a USB thumb drive?
Yes I have one of the BDP-S370's. They've only had one update and it didn't seem to help anything on my player. There's a program in the menu system that allows you to update the firmware through the front usb.
post #2837 of 2849 Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've got a S370 that had M03.R.623. I tried using the Amazon Instant Video, but it would error out with a network error every time. Other online services worked just fine. So, I updated to the latest M03.R.794. After the update, it seems to work just the same. I was able to get it to the first page, but clicking on any of the categories had the network error pop up. I then tired unlinking it from my account. After that, the app seemed to be working fine. I was able to re-link it with my account and was shown the opening page. But, once again, clicking on any category caused a network error. Now, I'm not even able to open the app to the main screen. Is Amazon having issues, or has the Amazon App never worked on these players? I've just recently got prime and decided to try it out on my player.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #2838 of 2849 Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I've got a S370 that had M03.R.623. I tried using the Amazon Instant Video, but it would error out with a network error every time. Other online services worked just fine. So, I updated to the latest M03.R.794. After the update, it seems to work just the same. I was able to get it to the first page, but clicking on any of the categories had the network error pop up. I then tired unlinking it from my account. After that, the app seemed to be working fine. I was able to re-link it with my account and was shown the opening page. But, once again, clicking on any category caused a network error. Now, I'm not even able to open the app to the main screen. Is Amazon having issues, or has the Amazon App never worked on these players? I've just recently got prime and decided to try it out on my player.

Mine works just fine. I don't use it much but it is the only device I have that has the amazon prime video app and I haven't had any problems yet. Maybe a bandwidth problem?
post #2839 of 2849 Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post

Mine works just fine. I don't use it much but it is the only device I have that has the amazon prime video app and I haven't had any problems yet. Maybe a bandwidth problem?

I guess it could be on their end. I get rock solid internet from a commercial grade provider. Netflix on the Sony works perfect.

I looked online at the prime instant selection and it doesn't appear I'm missing much.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #2840 of 2849 Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've been reading on other sites that Amazon has been having issues the past few days.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #2841 of 2849 Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Yes, there are a lot of mentions of this problem on the Amazon Instant forum as well as Sony's support forum. I have an S480P and it had problems logging in to Amazon too and I couldn't play anything. And I haven't had any firmware updates recently. It worked OK on Weds. Amazon, BD and DVD are the only thing I use it for. I have Chromecast for everything else.
post #2842 of 2849 Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

I am located in Dublin, Ireland and in return I can give you the following UV Codes:-
'Elysium'
'The Conjuring'
'The Lone Ranger'
'Seven Psychopaths'
'Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows'
'Shame'
'Prometheus'

(all valid US codes).
I will send the codes prior to you mailing the disc to me so you can be 100% they are vaild. It cost's about $5.00 to mail the disc here to Ireland.
post #2843 of 2849 Old 04-12-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As posted before, it's not not hard to put it on a CD-R or DVD-R. Just follow the instructions on the Sony site. I've used that method to update a BDP-S3100 that has no Internet access.

Alternatively, is there a way you can temporarily connect it to the Internet? Then you just use the built-in update.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #2844 of 2849 Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

As posted before, it's not not hard to put it on a CD-R or DVD-R. Just follow the instructions on the Sony site. I've used that method to update a BDP-S3100 that has no Internet access.

Alternatively, is there a way you can temporarily connect it to the Internet? Then you just use the built-in update.

Keep getting "file extension" errors with MS Vista. Never had any probs with Windows XP.
post #2845 of 2849 Old 08-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sony BDP-S470 3D Blu-Ray Player question

I have a Sony BDP-S470 3D Blu-Ray Player and it seems to have issues. First, Does it play standard DVD's containing 3D content? What format...MPEG 2 or 4, or what? Now it seems as if it plays Blu-Ray discs fine, both 3D and non-3D, but it won't play back a standard movie DVD, like "The Sum of All Fears" which plays back fine on my LG DVD player. I bought it off Ebay so it didn't come with a remote, how do I get to the menus so I can check to see if something needs to be changed. Help!
post #2846 of 2849 Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Trouble with player

I recently got a Sony BDP-S470 off Ebay and, initially, everything was fine. I mostly got it to play around with 3D and it played back movies like "Life of Pi", in 3D, just fine. Then I tried to play back a movie on a standard DVD (Sum of All Fears) and no luck, wouldn't play. I also tried playing back a standard DVD with some 3D home movies on it and same story, wouldn't recognize the disc, even though I tried a couple different formats (.mp4, .mov). Is this a firmware issue, or there something else going on? "Sum" plays back fine on my other player, an LG, so its not the disc. I've noticed Sony players seem to be a lot more finicky than some other players, is this a known issue or I am just lucky? Thanks in advance for your help!
post #2847 of 2849 Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I believe the laser lens for DVD is separate from the blu-ray laser lens, so one possibility is the DVD laser lens in your player is burned out. I have multiple Sony blu-ray players starting with a BDP-S350, and so far they have played everything I've thrown at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushfilm View Post
I recently got a Sony BDP-S470 off Ebay and, initially, everything was fine. I mostly got it to play around with 3D and it played back movies like "Life of Pi", in 3D, just fine. Then I tried to play back a movie on a standard DVD (Sum of All Fears) and no luck, wouldn't play. I also tried playing back a standard DVD with some 3D home movies on it and same story, wouldn't recognize the disc, even though I tried a couple different formats (.mp4, .mov). Is this a firmware issue, or there something else going on? "Sum" plays back fine on my other player, an LG, so its not the disc. I've noticed Sony players seem to be a lot more finicky than some other players, is this a known issue or I am just lucky? Thanks in advance for your help!

post #2848 of 2849 Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark Blu-ray (from the "complete" collection of 4 movies plus bonus) for the first time the other day on my S370. I noticed that several times (perhaps 20 times during the course of the film) the video would get stuck for a second or two, appearing to momentarily pause, while the audio continued without interruption. Then the video would resume in-sync with the audio. Following one of these episodes, I backed up and played the section over again and there was no stutter in the video.

I have never witnessed this behavior before and I just watched the Toy Story blu-ray a few days prior without this issue.

Any idea whether this is an issue with the player? To my knowledge, nothing has changed in the system setup in the past few months and I have watched a number of discs without any problems.

Thanks!

p.s. I am running my Blu-ray player through a Denon X2000 AVR to an old Sony RPTV that can do 1080i but did not have an HD tuner built in (11 years old).

Last edited by Andy_H; 09-15-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added info
post #2849 of 2849 Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Well, I found this post from another forum using a google search and they suggested removing the USB flash drive. I will give that a try and see what happens.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony...discs.1280592/
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page