Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony BDP-S470 Wireless Networking Question

Hey guys, thanks for reading. I tried reading up as much as I could about my question here on the forums before posting but I need help still so I appreciate it in advance.

My dad has a Sony BDP-S470 which does not have built in wireless capability, and he doesn't want a long cable running through the house so he's been using my PS3 to watch Netflix (that's all he uses it for).

I've been looking at Bridges/Gaming Adapters per some suggestions I've read on older threads on AVS, but unfortunately these devices are really hard to come by in 2014. I'm looking at an auction for the one that was recommended on eBay that ends in a few days if all else fails.

In the mean time, I have another idea that I need advice to know if it will work. I found my local computer store sells this nifty looking USB adapter by D-Link:
amazon.ca/D-Link-Wireless-Adapter-Cradle-DWA-160/dp/B00127OVHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412952527&sr=8-3&keywords=d-link+n600

The front of my BDP-S470 has a USB port and the specs on that adapter seem to agree with the research I did on my router (it's a NetGear R6250)
futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/netgear-netgear-wireless-n-dual-band-smart-wifi-router-r6250-r6250/10257123.aspx

TL;DR I've got
  • SONY BDP-S470
  • NETGEAR R6250 DUAL-BAND ROUTER
  • D-LINK N600 WIRELESS DUAL-BAND USB ADAPTER
Will it give my blu ray player wireless network connectivity to watch Netflix?

If not, should I continue trying to buy a Linksys Cisco WGA600N Gaming Adapter or what do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCee View Post
Hey guys, thanks for reading. I tried reading up as much as I could about my question here on the forums before posting but I need help still so I appreciate it in advance.

My dad has a Sony BDP-S470 which does not have built in wireless capability, and he doesn't want a long cable running through the house so he's been using my PS3 to watch Netflix (that's all he uses it for).

I've been looking at Bridges/Gaming Adapters per some suggestions I've read on older threads on AVS, but unfortunately these devices are really hard to come by in 2014. I'm looking at an auction for the one that was recommended on eBay that ends in a few days if all else fails.

In the mean time, I have another idea that I need advice to know if it will work. I found my local computer store sells this nifty looking USB adapter by D-Link:
amazon.ca/D-Link-Wireless-Adapter-Cradle-DWA-160/dp/B00127OVHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412952527&sr=8-3&keywords=d-link+n600

The front of my BDP-S470 has a USB port and the specs on that adapter seem to agree with the research I did on my router (it's a NetGear R6250)
futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/netgear-netgear-wireless-n-dual-band-smart-wifi-router-r6250-r6250/10257123.aspx

TL;DR I've got
  • SONY BDP-S470
  • NETGEAR R6250 DUAL-BAND ROUTER
  • D-LINK N600 WIRELESS DUAL-BAND USB ADAPTER
Will it give my blu ray player wireless network connectivity to watch Netflix?

If not, should I continue trying to buy a Linksys Cisco WGA600N Gaming Adapter or what do you suggest?
The manual for the BDP-S470 suggests only the proper Sony wireless LAN adapter will work. However, you should be able to pick up a fairly inexpensive wireless router that can be set up in "access point" mode. You would set up this "access point" near the player and connect it with a short network wire. The access point can then be programmed to communicate with your main wireless router wirelessly. In this way the player is operating in wired mode, and the access point handles the wireless chores. I've used Netgear products for this purpose (WG602, 606). Also ZyXel (NBG-419N). If there are other devices in the home theater, they should also be able to communicate wirelessly using the access point (probably up to 4 network connections on the box).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2853 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The manual for the BDP-S470 suggests only the proper Sony wireless LAN adapter will work. However, you should be able to pick up a fairly inexpensive wireless router that can be set up in "access point" mode. You would set up this "access point" near the player and connect it with a short network wire. The access point can then be programmed to communicate with your main wireless router wirelessly. In this way the player is operating in wired mode, and the access point handles the wireless chores. I've used Netgear products for this purpose (WG602, 606). Also ZyXel (NBG-419N). If there are other devices in the home theater, they should also be able to communicate wirelessly using the access point (probably up to 4 network connections on the box).
I have a Linksys SRX200 router lying around. Will this work?

I'm researching Access Point setup right now since I've never done anything like that before but how exactly will it work?
post #2854 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
I have a Linksys SRX200 router lying around. Will this work?

I'm researching Access Point setup right now since I've never done anything like that before but how exactly will it work?
Only if it's on the DD-WRT or Tomato list, and you have a degree in computer science.

Honestly, it's much easier to just buy a cheap access point on amazon or a new player, like THIS. You can also get a used player with wifi for about $40 which will perform better than your 470, like the 3100.
post #2855 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Only if it's on the DD-WRT or Tomato list, and you have a degree in computer science.

Honestly, it's much easier to just buy a cheap access point on amazon or a new player, like You can also get a used player with wifi for about $40 which will perform better than your 470, like the 3100.
You're damn right about it being easier. Thanks for the recommendation. I found a 3100 on eBay Canada for under 40 with all the shipping included.

Cheers.
post #2856 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
You're damn right about it being easier. Thanks for the recommendation. I found a 3100 on eBay Canada for under 40 with all the shipping included.

Cheers.
Well, if you do not care about a front display, and do not need any analog audio or video connections, and do not mind having cinavia running in the firmware, then it should serve your purpose.
The manual for the 3100 is here, in case you need one.

https://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServic...L-asset-361522

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #2857 of 2857 Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Well, if you do not care about a front display, and do not need any analog audio or video connections, and do not mind having cinavia running in the firmware, then it should serve your purpose.
The manual for the 3100 is here, in case you need one.
Honestly man, I really don't. As long as my dad gets his Netflix and I get my PS3 back for video games, then everybody wins. I appreciate your help and your time writing out your comments. Thanks for the manual!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page