AVS Forum banner

Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread

548K views 3K replies 564 participants last post by  Steelie Dan 
#1 ·
Well, since it looks like I am the only on this forum that owns the new Sony S370, I'll go ahead and open a new thread.

My first impressions:

The player is super slim.

The power cord can no longer be detached.

The remote control HAS an eject button. Kudos to Sony for adding this back.

The main menu background is now black. So it kind of looks "Dim" now.

Performance

I spent some time testing some blu's and sd dvd's and the picture quality on both is fantastic. I also own the Sony N460 and I will say the PQ on the new model is slighty better on both BD's and DVD's.

Booting takes about 15 seconds with quick start off and about 5 seconds with quick start enable. Loading time is the fastest I've ever seen. I have a PS3 and I say it rivals that of the PS3.

POTC 1 and 2 loaded in about 23 seconds.

Spiderman 3 loaded even faster, around 20 seconds.

Terminator 2: Skynet Edition which was painfully slow to load on most players, loaded in about 40 seconds.

Now, keep in mind that I don't have stop watch, so the times are just "ballpark guess"

For those of you that owns Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition. I have bad news. The new Sony player is still having issues playing this disc. While watching the extended cut, if you hit the pop up menu button during playback, the disc automatically pause and the menu "Hangs". If you hit play, you can hear the audio but it will not go back to the movie. This does not happens while playing the theatrical version. My PS3 plays both cut of the movies flawlessly.

That's all I have for now, please feel free to post any questions or comments

Peace!

Jr.

See less See more
#2,411 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang /forum/post/20525850

This may be a dumb question, but I'm using the M03.R.394 firmware on my Sony BDP-S370 right now. What's the major advantage of going to M03.R.742, which is dated February 10, 2011?

Practically,none.But no risk, either.

Some firmware notes;

"Current latest version(M03R742) details:

Improvements over firmware version M03.R.695:

Improves BD-ROM playability.

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version M03.R.742:

Resolves an issue where an unnecessary warning may be displayed when playing some discs.

Adds support for inputting non ASCII characters (Chinese etc) to the player from other devices (iPhone®, iPad®, etc.).

Improves HDMI™ connectivity

Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.

Adds support for DLNA® content

Note: The BDP-S270 does not support DLNA functions.

Improves router connectivity

Enhanced Gracenote™ Entertainment database browser features:

Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc™ movie database.

Enhanced photo slideshow:

Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.

Improved Compatibility:

Adds compatibility with DTS® Neo:6® to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.

Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 MBps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD."

#2,412 ·
In case anyone wants a cheap Blu-Ray player, Sony online outlet has refurbished S370 for $68 with 90 days warranty today. Shipping is 7.50 but I added the 2 year replacement plan for $20. So true cost is just over $90 with tax for a two years replacement warranty.

I don't need 3D, WiFi and will use my new AVR to decode both audio/video so this is pretty good option for me. Even better than new one consider these low end players are fragile.

#2,416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie /forum/post/20540314

I think the divx is not supported on USA models - I don't know why. The NZ model supports divx. Not sure about other countries.

I believe Canadian models support divx, at least that was the way it always was with Sony DVD players. Canadian models supported divx while the same model sold in the US didn't
Not sure why but hey, we're talking about Sony

My guess is that Sony thinks divx and other such formats are commonly used with pirated media and with Sony the software end is too much in control of the hardware end!

Don't get me wrong, I have many Sony products but I really despise their current business practices

#2,417 ·
I'm also pissed a Sony for their business practices. I bought a s470 a few months ago. In order to access Netflix with it, they forced me to sign up for a Qriocity account, something I would have not done otherwise. There is no reason this should have been required, other than Sony trying to prod people into using Qriocity. Then for some reason Sony combined that account data with PSN, then they allow PSN to get hacked, now my personal data has been compromised because of Sony forcing me to sign up for an account that I didn't need or want.

Sony being both a media company and an electronics manufacturer is bad for consumers. A jjef said, the media side of the business exerts far too much influence and control over the electronics side. I personally will have to think long an hard before I buy any more Sony electronics.

#2,418 ·
Quick question.

I'm thinking of jumping on the refurb of this unit but was wondering about the browsing capabilities. Are you able to browse the internet like on the PS3 or are you locked into the Netflix, Youtube, etc. widgets. For that matter is that option available on any bluray player these days (other then the PS3)? I have a PS3 for the living room so I'm just looking for a cheap bluray player for the bedroom that can stream music from my computer, netflix, etc. -basically a PS3 without the gaming.

Thanks for the info.

#2,419 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp62278 /forum/post/0

Quick question.

I'm thinking of jumping on the refurb of this unit but was wondering about the browsing capabilities. Are you able to browse the internet like on the PS3 or are you locked into the Netflix, Youtube, etc. widgets. For that matter is that option available on any bluray player these days (other then the PS3)? I have a PS3 for the living room so I'm just looking for a cheap bluray player for the bedroom that can stream music from my computer, netflix, etc. -basically a PS3 without the gaming.

Thanks for the info.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tNumber=NSZGT1

#2,423 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz /forum/post/20552145

Is anyone here that have recently installed the latest firmware (.52) still having issues with the the forced internet connection for BD live?

I have reported this issue (but firmware M03.R.742 on the BDP-S370) to Sony support in my country. Hopefully, it gets investigated properly and reported to the right people.

#2,424 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63
Has anyone had issues with the Sony BD players defaulting to some very poor, low-res, no matter what your bandwidth? This seems to have started last Thursday or Friday.
If you're referring to netflix, I've noticed issues since late last week. I average about 10 down, and the pq was pretty bad. Been watching BSG, which is supposed to be an hd stream, looks worse than dvd.

#2,425 ·
My Netflix on my 370 will no longer stream HD in HD...everything is a very fuzzy low res SD now. Same as my XBR9's Netflix. My PS3 still streams everything on Netflix normally, and I noticed that the Hulu Plus on my 370 will still stream HD.

I called Netfix and they are aware that many Sony devices are now passing along a very low quality feed for some reason since June 11th. They are working on it, but I urge everyone to call Sony and Netflix so they know how bad it is affecting people.

#2,432 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20543297

I believe Canadian models support divx, at least that was the way it always was with Sony DVD players. Canadian models supported divx while the same model sold in the US didn't
Not sure why but hey, we're talking about Sony

My guess is that Sony thinks divx and other such formats are commonly used with pirated media and with Sony the software end is too much in control of the hardware end!

Don't get me wrong, I have many Sony products but I really despise their current business practices

I don't take credit for this info, as it has been mentioned before, but... if you have the U.S. model, to play divx video, simply rename it to a .mp4 file on your computer. That's it. Apparently the U.S. model is capable of playing divx, it was just sort of disabled. Changing the file extension
"tricks" the machine into playing the file.

#2,433 ·
June 26, 2011, my BDP-BX37 updated its software (from version M03.R.742) to version M03.R.769.

Anyone have a manifest of the included changes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.