Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2911 of 2924 Old 12-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 113
A late comer here.
I got the BX370 from Costco last week, I think it's the same or almost identical to the S3700 in other retails.
Anyway, I hope someone can verify this for me before I return it.
Is it true that it doesn't support TrueHD audio format when playing via USB?
I have an .mkv with TrueHD format, and I cannot play it, it indicates "audio format not supported", I cannot even play other audio track.
I've searched around and it seems it should but it won't work for me.
Not sure if Sony product really not support TrueHD or just a firmware bug (I've updated to the latest firmware, R30.xx380)

Note: it plays DTS-HD MA .mkv file just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2924 Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
A late comer here.
I got the BX370 from Costco last week, I think it's the same or almost identical to the S3700 in other retails.
Anyway, I hope someone can verify this for me before I return it.
Is it true that it doesn't support TrueHD audio format when playing via USB?
I have an .mkv with TrueHD format, and I cannot play it, it indicates "audio format not supported", I cannot even play other audio track.
I've searched around and it seems it should but it won't work for me.
Not sure if Sony product really not support TrueHD or just a firmware bug (I've updated to the latest firmware, R30.xx380)

Note: it plays DTS-HD MA .mkv file just fine.
Tinhvo, I can't speak to whether the BDP-BX370 is similar/identical to the S3700. But there's no way that it's similar in terms of support needs and format compatibility to the BDP-S370. That's the owner thread you've posted in and these decks (the S370 and 470) are now about four years old.

Here's the owner thread for the 3700 (not to be further confused with the 370):

Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players
tinhvo likes this.
post #2913 of 2924 Old 12-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Tinhvo, I can't speak to whether the BDP-BX370 is similar/identical to the S3700. But there's no way that it's similar in terms of support needs and format compatibility to the BDP-S370. That's the owner thread you've posted in and these decks (the S370 and 470) are now about four years old.

Here's the owner thread for the 3700 (not to be further confused with the 370):

Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players
Yeap, I realized that I've posted in the wrong thread
Posted once in the S3700 thread already.

post #2914 of 2924 Old 12-12-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The Costco version of this player was the BDP-BX37.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2915 of 2924 Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Exclamation S370 BX37 issue with the 1968 POTA BD !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
A late comer here.
It's the BDP--BX37, which is the same as the BSP-S370. The only difference is the BX37 comes with an HDMI cable and the S370 doesn't.
I bought my BX37 at Sams, so it's not exclusive to any store...

***************NOTICE****************

The S370 (or BX37) latest Firmware update (from several years ago) M03.R.804, HAS A BUG THAT DOES NOT ALLOW THE FOX BD OF THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION OF THE 1968 PLANET OF THE APES TO FULLY LOAD AND PLAY IN THE S370 (or BX37). THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE THAT SONY HAS CHOSEN TO NEVER CORRECT FOR THIS PARTICULAR DEVICE.
tinhvo likes this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 07-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
post #2916 of 2924 Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I pretty much give up on playing TrueHD track on this unit.
I don't think it will ever work.
Just surprise that other owners claimed it works for them.
post #2917 of 2924 Old 09-30-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have acquired an S370, currently running M03.R.623. My main use for this unit will be blurays and SACDs in a two channel system. I see there is an update to 804, but I am apprehensive to do so given my past experience as a first gen PS3 owner having my SACD functionality disabled via a firmware update. Anyone with update experience to this firmware I wouldn't mind a heads up whether to update or not. Thanks.
post #2918 of 2924 Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramb04 View Post
I have acquired an S370, currently running M03.R.623. My main use for this unit will be blurays and SACDs in a two channel system. I see there is an update to 804, but I am apprehensive to do so given my past experience as a first gen PS3 owner having my SACD functionality disabled via a firmware update. Anyone with update experience to this firmware I wouldn't mind a heads up whether to update or not. Thanks.
I kept my 370 updated to the last firmware. It did not break SACD compatibility in any way.
post #2919 of 2924 Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
I kept my 370 updated to the last firmware. It did not break SACD compatibility in any way.
Thanks bradman, I'll go ahead. Glad it doesn't effect anything on SACD end. I appreciate the help!
post #2920 of 2924 Old 09-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bradman has already spoken to your query but I wanted to add a comment FWIW. Although of course we're talking about the same manuf, I think the PS3 had its own sets of issues back in the day. Although the broken SACD playback functionality was an issue for that deck, I don't recall hearing/reading anything similar happening for Sony SACD-capable BD players.

Except of course for the larger issue of Sony entirely abandoning support for their own damn format in all but their top of the line BD players years ago.
Ramb04 likes this.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 10-01-2017 at 12:04 AM.
post #2921 of 2924 Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Sony simply dropped SACD from the PS3 after 2 years.
post #2922 of 2924 Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Sony simply dropped SACD from the PS3 after 2 years.
I don't understand your point or how whatever it may be is responsive to or counters mine, which is about the broader absurdity of Sony having stepped largely away from supporting SACD, a format for which their royalties position motivated the "war" between SACD and DVD-A in the first place. I'm saying that's the shameful larger truth, even if the smaller point of their BDs players not having shared the problem the PS3 did (sneaky removal via firmware "upgrade" of playback capability that the deck once had).

If your point is that Sony "simply" stopped supporting the format, that's hardly charitable/palatable in my eyes either: It would be different if they did so "simply" to their newly released decks. That's not my understanding. It seems Ramb04's question was getting at this very issue: They took away something from previously released players that those decks once had (rather than simply doing so on a going forward/only in new decks basis) and he wanted to make sure that wasn't going to happen by upgrading the fw on his older machine. Sony created the rationale for that very trepidation via their past behavior.
post #2923 of 2924 Old 10-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I don't understand your point or how whatever it may be is responsive to or counters mine, which is about the broader absurdity of Sony having stepped largely away from supporting SACD, a format for which their royalties position motivated the "war" between SACD and DVD-A in the first place. I'm saying that's the shameful larger truth, even if the smaller point of their BDs players not having shared the problem the PS3 did (sneaky removal via firmware "upgrade" of playback capability that the deck once had).

If your point is that Sony "simply" stopped supporting the format, that's hardly charitable/palatable in my eyes either: It would be different if they did so "simply" to their newly released decks. That's not my understanding. It seems Ramb04's question was getting at this very issue: They took away something from previously released players that those decks once had (rather than simply doing so on a going forward/only in new decks basis) and he wanted to make sure that wasn't going to happen by upgrading the fw on his older machine. Sony created the rationale for that very trepidation via their past behavior.
Thank you. That is exactly my thought process when upgrading now. The SACD removal on the PS3 took me by surprise, as it was my only player of that type at the time. Now, years later, I have stumbled across a decent SACD capable player, but since it is a Sony product from a few years back, I wasn't sure if the disabling of that feature was something spread throughout more of the lineup via firmware updates. As this is the reason I purchased an otherwise perfectly good S370 for $14.

It's a very good player, and enjoying my SACD collection once again. Running it from the analog out 2ch to my int. amp. Not sure if coax works to send it to a DAC or not, but that can be something I try down the road.
Paul.R.S likes this.
post #2924 of 2924 Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Running it from the analog out 2ch to my int. amp. Not sure if coax works to send it to a DAC or not, but that can be something I try down the road.
No high rez/DSD via coax. Analog stereo or HDMI are your choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page