AVS Forum banner

Official New Sony S370/S470 Owners Thread

548K views 3K replies 564 participants last post by  Steelie Dan 
#1 ·
Well, since it looks like I am the only on this forum that owns the new Sony S370, I'll go ahead and open a new thread.

My first impressions:

The player is super slim.

The power cord can no longer be detached.

The remote control HAS an eject button. Kudos to Sony for adding this back.

The main menu background is now black. So it kind of looks "Dim" now.

Performance

I spent some time testing some blu's and sd dvd's and the picture quality on both is fantastic. I also own the Sony N460 and I will say the PQ on the new model is slighty better on both BD's and DVD's.

Booting takes about 15 seconds with quick start off and about 5 seconds with quick start enable. Loading time is the fastest I've ever seen. I have a PS3 and I say it rivals that of the PS3.

POTC 1 and 2 loaded in about 23 seconds.

Spiderman 3 loaded even faster, around 20 seconds.

Terminator 2: Skynet Edition which was painfully slow to load on most players, loaded in about 40 seconds.

Now, keep in mind that I don't have stop watch, so the times are just "ballpark guess"

For those of you that owns Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition. I have bad news. The new Sony player is still having issues playing this disc. While watching the extended cut, if you hit the pop up menu button during playback, the disc automatically pause and the menu "Hangs". If you hit play, you can hear the audio but it will not go back to the movie. This does not happens while playing the theatrical version. My PS3 plays both cut of the movies flawlessly.

That's all I have for now, please feel free to post any questions or comments

Peace!

Jr.

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus /forum/post/18161169

Do you have any idea if the 370 player converts DSD to PCM with SACD discs? Or does it stay in the DSD domain when decoding?

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't have any SACD discs so I won't be able to test it. I can however look at the manual this evening and report back to you if I find anything.

Jr.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/18161302

Where did you get this beauty from?

This beauty came directly from Sony Style. I've ordered it back in 2/10/10 and chose expedite shipping and It arrived yesterday to my pleasant surprise. I haven't had much time to play with it, but so far I'm loving it.

Jr.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 /forum/post/18170327

Does the PC need to have any software to be able to do this? Just be on the same network as the BDP?

Windows Media Server or other Media Server like PS3 MS. I use the Wild Media Server and I'm crossing my fingers it works with the S570 I just bought.

#15 ·
Looking to move my Panny BD35 to the bedroom and put in an online content enabled 2010 model.

Really interested to see how the DLNA streaming works.

Also it sounds like the 2010 models are based on the N460, which is a good thing for DVD upscaling quality. The 360/560 was pretty so-so. Do any of you 2010 owners have the HQV and/or Spears and Munsil discs to test deinterlacing?

#16 ·
Cortiz,

I've downloaded the manual, and was surprised to see a comment about selecting "Original Resolution" under Output Video Format for HDMI. Does this mean that Source Direct is back on Sonys?

That was the only thing my S300 had better than x50 and x60 models, and was reluctant to part with - I'm using my XBR upscaling which is pretty good for me.

Thanks!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxus /forum/post/18161169

Do you have any idea if the 370 player converts DSD to PCM with SACD discs? Or does it stay in the DSD domain when decoding?

Since when has any Sony BD player EVER (other than the release few PS3 units through the old 80GB Metal Gear Solid edition) play SACD?

Did the new x70's add this feature?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/18173384

Since when has any Sony BD player EVER (other than the release few PS3 units through the old 80GB MSG edition) play SACD?

Did the new x70's add this feature?

Which feature ? SACD ? Yes, all Sx70 play SACD. There are 2 options : DSD or PCM to the receiver (selectable on "settings") . If DSD is selected, the receiver must accept DSD feed.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli /forum/post/18174211

Which feature ? SACD ? Yes, all Sx70 play SACD. There are 2 options : DSD or PCM to the receiver (selectable on "settings") . If DSD is selected, the receiver must accept DSD feed.

Very interesting - it is not posted on the web site (then again SonyStyle.com is virtually worthless for accurate descriptions). That makes this series a contender for my next player if it/they does/do.

After a bit of research on CNET - I see that the 370/570 and upcoming 3D S770 all do SACD. AMEN Sony- finally. http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10424297-269.html

Perhaps the next 400 disc changer will too.

I am looking forward to hearing how well the 370/570 handle SACD via HDMI/DSD and PCM from owners. If source direct and SACD DSD are in their full line then I am sold on my next 3D BD player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.