Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just now got my bd65 and only took a couple of minutes to connect it wired to my router after i found where the mac address was displayed--i use mac filtering. i know it doesn't make much sense for a wired connection, but my router doesn't distinguish between wired and wireless for the mac filters.

firmware upgraded to v1.23 from v1.14.

this is replacing a bd30 i've had a couple of years now, my only complaint being its slowness. i was astonished at the size comparison--the bd30 seems 3 or 4 times the size of the bd65.

i was pleased that it seems i'm able to use my bd30 remote and i didn't have to change a single harmony one setting--i simply unplugged the bd30 and plugged the bd65 in, the only addition being the ethernet cable.

i tested it for an hour or so using 5th element and avatar. although i didn't time things, the bd65 doesn't seem that much faster than the bd30. i was able to play 5th element pretty quickly (approx 60--120 seconds) but avatar took at least twice that long, throwing up 'reading' icons at least a half dozen times.

also, the bd65 seems no faster in operation and like the bd30, causes 'no signal found' to appear on my tv when i simply advance to the next or prev chapter, for instance. of course the fault for that could like anywhere in the hdmi chain from the dvd, through the receiver, to the tv.

i was able to login to youtube and netflix (after a frantic search for the '_' character) and test them briefly. netflix seemed decent, but youtube displayed garish colors for a video i had uploaded. since i have netflix and youtube already on my tivo, i doubt i will use the bd65 for these functions, but did i see some folks discussing pandora? i would use it for pandora since tivo uses rhapsody which i dislike.

for the price i paid (1/3rd the price of the bd30 when i bought it) i am very well pleased. especially since it plugged right into my system with no re-configuration. the feature i use the most next to dvd viewing is the sd-card avchd--i love being able to go right from my cameras (which shoot video in avchd) right to viewing on my lcd tv.

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Does the Panasonic have DLNA software, if not will it be added in a future firmware release
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

Does the Panasonic have DLNA software, if not will it be added in a future firmware release

Not in the North American version. No talk of adding it here.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the issue I'm seeing is disc dependent. Since getting my panasonic, I've been watching season 1 of Star Trek (TOS). It was resuming where I left off until I tried to activate the BD-Live function.

Also - and please forgive my ignorance - I don't know what you mean by a DNS issue. I thought the issue with BD-Live was that you needed an SD card in the machine to get it to work. Is it more complicated than that to set up? Although, I really don't care about setting it up. I'd just like to be able to reset the machine to a point before I tried to access the BD-Live function so that it functions the way it used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Resume-from-where-it-left-off on BD is disc dependent. BD-J discs typically don't allow resume feature. There is only a few rare exceptions, e.g. Avatar, where the resume function is part of the disc menu. If you happen to play some old non-BD-J discs, they resume just fine.

As for your BD-Live trouble, you could have some DNS issues. Firmware updates usually use a fixed/hardcoded IP address to retrieve the firmware. But BD-Live requires working DNS to resolve the server names for each studio or even each disc.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM

At this moment, I have a BD65 player sitting in my Big River shopping cart with 4 movies (Avatar for $25 rebate and 3 free ones) for $160. Minus the $25 rebate and selling my current BD60 for $80, I could pick up this player and 4 movies for $55. The biggest things about this player that appeal to me over the BD60 are 1) Netflix 2) faster boot up times and 3) better DVD upscaling. The downsides are I have a player that works perfectly fine now and the BD65 doesn't have VUDU. So, why should I or why should I not go ahead with this purchase?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehollins View Post

The biggest things about this player that appeal to me over the BD60 are 1) Netflix 2) faster boot up times and 3) better DVD upscaling. The downsides are I have a player that works perfectly fine now and the BD65 doesn't have VUDU. So, why should I or why should I not go ahead with this purchase?

I don't think there is much difference in boot time. The often quoted 'fast boot time' is when you use the special quick startup option that keeps the player powered on. BD 60 has the same thing.

Better DVD upscaling is debatable (DVD light level fluctuation anyone?).

The only advantage is Netflix. But I'm not sure if I can live with Netflix feature without movie browsing. The browsing feature is what I love to use all the time on my Xbox 360. Don't feel like need to use a PC or mac to add the movie to the queue before watching them.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

At this moment, I have a BD65 player sitting in my Big River shopping cart with 4 movies (Avatar for $25 rebate and 3 free ones) for $160. Minus the $25 rebate and selling my current BD60 for $80, I could pick up this player and 4 movies for $55. The biggest things about this player that appeal to me over the BD60 are 1) Netflix 2) faster boot up times and 3) better DVD upscaling. The downsides are I have a player that works perfectly fine now and the BD65 doesn't have VUDU. So, why should I or why should I not go ahead with this purchase?

I love my BD65. To me, it comes down to whether you want Netflix or not.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 AM

For those that also have/had a BD-35 is it a nice improvement? I just ordered mine from Amazon since they have a really good deal right now, I figured it would be better then my 35, so the 35 can go in the bedroom and the 65 can go in the Home Theater.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM

I bought the BD65 last week to replace my PS3 as my DVD/Blu-Ray player. I watched the Iron Man blu-ray over the weekend and thought it looked and sounded better than the PS3. I also started watching The Wire as well. While watching it, it looks like I can see the horizontal interlacing on the video. I don't know if I just don't have the player setup right, or if it's an issue with the player. I haven't tried watching it on my PS3 since it's currently unhooked. Has anyone else had this issue with regular DVDs?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I love my BD65. To me, it comes down to whether you want Netflix or not.

Trigger pulled because of Netflix. I'll get 4 movies and a player that does Netflix streaming for a net cost of about $60 when I'm done with it. I don't think that's too bad at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Do you know that you have to buy an $80 piece from Panasonic to use it wirelessly?

Can you use any USB wifi adapter or does it have to be the Panasonic one?

Seems that any will work, but has anybody tried this?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
wifi adapters require drivers. Since there is no way to install your own driver, only the specific Panasonic wifi adapter will work since it is only driver that is included in the firmware.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just got this player last friday. Does this unit get really hot? Mine has one inch of free space from the top. It is very hot (more than my AVR onkyo 805).

Is this normal?

Tnt
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapellman View Post

For those that also have/had a BD-35 is it a nice improvement? I just ordered mine from Amazon since they have a really good deal right now, I figured it would be better then my 35, so the 35 can go in the bedroom and the 65 can go in the Home Theater.

Yep, I did the same thing, my BD35 is now in my bedroom. It's much much faster on the recognition of inserted discs and Blu-ray content loads very fast in comparison. It is also nearly instant to power on with the quick start feature enabled.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Does the BD65 support Pandora? I have read some reviews that it does, and some that it does not. I am sure it has Netflix and U-tube
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

Does the BD65 support Pandora? I have read some reviews that it does, and some that it does not. I am sure it has Netflix and U-tube

At this point, there is no Pandora. it is supposed to be on the way with a future Firmware revision. As of the latest firmware (1.23) it is not there.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

OK, just received my BD65 today after ordering it on Monday. I love Big River. Anyways, so far, I'm fairly impressed with the BD65 compared to the BD60. The biggest thing is that it seems much, much faster when navigating through the menus and hitting buttons on the remote. It detected my network immediately and assigned an IP address via DHCP nearly instantly. I went in and reviewed all of the settings and I had to change only 3 or 4 of them so I was quite happy with the intelligent default settings. I think the remote has a better layout on the BD65 than the BD60, but the size of the remote of the BD60 is better. The buttons are under the fingers better on the BD60 remote but I use a Harmony so it really doesn't matter to me. The picture quality seems slightly better but that is just subjective.

Now, for the big feature that I bought this for: Netflix. You have to add movies to your Instant Queue via a computer or iPhone but I have those around me nearly all the time. The quality was watchable but not DVD quality. For some reason, I was getting only a 75% strength. I may have to check my connection and measure it again or something.

So far, I'm quite happy with it just based on the speed of the device and Netflix.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM

I have read some recent reviews with folks getting Netflix connection issues.
Any known issues around Netflix connection and/or quality?
I have wanted this player since it came out and with deals lately looking to pull the trigger, but Netflix connection / quality is key for me.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Since I got this player last week I have not been able to set the clock on this thing! I know there is no clock in the front display, but when I use the NET feature and look up my local weather, the time is 2 hours ahead!!! Changing the time on my wireless router does not many any difference.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvnuby View Post

I have read some recent reviews with folks getting Netflix connection issues.
Any known issues around Netflix connection and/or quality?
I have wanted this player since it came out and with deals lately looking to pull the trigger, but Netflix connection / quality is key for me.

Thanks

What do you mean by "Netflix connection issues"? My BD65 works great with Netflix. Netflix recommends a minimum speed of 5 Mbps for HD. I also use a wired connection.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc6230sux View Post

Since I got this player last week I have not been able to set the clock on this thing! I know there is no clock in the front display, but when I use the NET feature and look up my local weather, the time is 2 hours ahead!!! Changing the time on my wireless router does not many any difference.

Setup -> Network -> Network Settings -> Internet Content Settings is where you change the timezone of your device. I know it isn't an intuitive location. I'm assuming that you are in Mountain though.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Others have said the HD streaming cuts in and out or is inconsistent even at speeds well over 5MBs. Just wondering if anyone else is having these types of issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...DateDescending
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Setup -> Network -> Network Settings -> Internet Content Settings is where you change the timezone of your device. I know it isn't an intuitive location. I'm assuming that you are in Mountain though.

I got mine from big river yesterday. I'm pretty dang happy considering the sale price - the $25 Avatar rebate + 3 free blu-rays.

I watched bits n pieces of Avatar last nite in 1080p / 24p w/deep color on my Panny 50s1... all I can say is "dayum!"

My time was off 1 hour... thanks ehollins for the fix!

My Evil Plan to take over the Tri-State Area: The Subwoofinator-inator.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonator View Post

I always have mine on "full" but i did check anyway.

I'm not sure why I get overscan, this is also a panasonic plasma it is hooked up to. Its pretty bad when you watch 16:9 format full screen stuff, not so noticable with the widescreen stuff.

Has anyone else tested for the overscan? I know only a couple of people have noticed it, but this is a huge issue to me.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Seeing as it's 2010, does anyone know if Pandora is available for the Panny BD65? I'm thinking of buying one but I want Pandora as well as Netflix.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettzysdaddy View Post

Seeing as it's 2010, does anyone know if Pandora is available for the Panny BD65? I'm thinking of buying one but I want Pandora as well as Netflix.

See post #376 above.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Looks like Pandora, along with some other things, was added to VieraCast this morning. Big changes in the menu with lots of boxes available for "new" services. It's a little confusing with several pages of empty boxes, but could mean many more features added in the future. Unless they force people to buy NEXT years model to get them (like they did with last years owners). But should be cool either way.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM

was that automatically there, or did it prompt you to do a firmware upgrade?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 AM

I've had a Roku for a few weeks, but decided to send it back and I got the BD65. I noticed that the Roku had updated its netflix so you could search via the Roku instead of having to use a PC. Is this expected to happen with the BD65? It seems very silly (and inconvenient) to have to do your searching on a pc and then watch from the BD65.
thx
Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO View Post

was that automatically there, or did it prompt you to do a firmware upgrade?

Required a firmware update on my BD60. (Currently awaiting delivery of a BD65 to get Netflix.)

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black