Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1882 Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewooddoctor View Post

I have the bd65. When pandora is running, I can't seem to navigate to the create new station on top. Can it be done without going to the computer?

You cannot use the arrow keys to navigate directly to it, you have to use the 'RED' button on your remote as indicated by the red block next to 'Create a New Station'. You canslo use Yellow to skip and Blue to Pause/Play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1882 Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewooddoctor View Post

How to you move the viera cast windows around. I want to move Pandora to the front so when I start up it is there with netflix.

Go to the VieraCast Settings page and select 'Customize HomeScreen'. Frmo there you can put the apps in any order you like.
post #453 of 1882 Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Anyone tried burning their own BR onto a DVD yet? I've been doing this for a couple of years now with great success using Sony Vegas/DVD Architect Pro and Sony BR players. The problem is, everything I put in the 65, no matter what the bitrate, frame rate, whether mpeg2 or AVC, they all are coasters in the Panasonic. DVD's work fine so it isn't my media.

Any ideas...what the heck is this thing looking for?
post #454 of 1882 Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 12
If there is a better sub-forum for my question, please direct me to it.

I just bought a BD-65 to replace a Toshiba HD-DVD player that recently went belly-up. I plugged the BD-65 into the same cables the Toshiba had been working in without issue, but after about 5 minutes of playing a disc (blu-ray or standard), the screen flashes briefly a few times every 30 seconds or so, then will go black for 5-6 seconds every few minutes thereafter. While the screen is blank, "HDMI" is displayed on the player. Sound is unaffected during these lapses, and everything appears to be functioning well except for this issue.

Setup is a Panasonic 42PZU77 1080p plasma and a Harmon-Kardon 147 AVR. Video connection is HDMI which is passed thru the AVR. Audio is optical cable to the AVR.

After searching around on AVS, I was convinced this was a HDMI handshake issue. Tinkering in the HDMI resolution settings of the BD player, this problem exists when set to "auto" or "1080p". If set to "1080i" (and presumably other resolutions), discs play without issue. I'm far from sophisticated in this area, but it still seems to be a handshake issue to me. Is it likely the player is defective instead?

If a handshake issue, what simple and relatively inexpensive options are available to try to remedy it? The HDMI cables are nearly 3 years old. Would newer ones likely improve the situation? I will almost certainly purchase slightly longer cables anyway as the lengths were barely adequate for the HD-DVD player, but require the BD-65 to be placed in such a manner that makes accessing the rear of the player problematic.

I've tried unplugging/re-plugging the player, TV, and AVR and disconnecting/re-connecting the HDMI cable with no improvement. I've not moved the HDMI cable to the other HDMI receptacles in the TV and AVR due to the difficulty of accessing the rear of the AVR. I can do that when I get the new HDMI cables if the problem may lie there.

Would an HDMI switch likely help? If so, any recommendations?
post #455 of 1882 Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
can your tv do 1080? if not. then try 1080I or 720P.

Jacob
post #456 of 1882 Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 223
It's likely the limitation of your HK 147 AVR which can't handle audio via HDMI. Most of those early HDMI AVRs that can't handle HDMI audio also limits the max HDMI resolution support to 1080i.

Since your AVR has no HDMI audio capability, why bother connect the HDMI video through it? Connect directly to the TV. I'm sure your TV has enough HDMI inputs already.
post #457 of 1882 Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It's likely the limitation of your HK 147 AVR which can't handle audio via HDMI. Most of those early HDMI AVRs that can't handle HDMI audio also limits the max HDMI resolution support to 1080i.

Since your AVR has no HDMI audio capability, why bother connect the HDMI video through it? Connect directly to the TV. I'm sure your TV has enough HDMI inputs already.

That makes sense. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try tomorrow if my HDMI cable will reach--if not, a new cable will be my first priority.

I assume I can still run the audio via optical through the AVR. Will that be likely to present any issues as far as sychronizing the audio with the video?

Thanks for the help!
post #458 of 1882 Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post

That makes sense. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try tomorrow if my HDMI cable will reach--if not, a new cable will be my first priority.

I assume I can still run the audio via optical through the AVR. Will that be likely to present any issues as far as sychronizing the audio with the video?

Thanks for the help!

Connecting the HDMI directly to the TV and Optical to the receiver is common. I did that until I upgraded my receiver. I had no sync'ing issues. I did note, however, that many BDs do not contain a DD5.1 output in English.

JWhite
post #459 of 1882 Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you disable HDMI audio in your player setup. Otherwise, you may only get 2-ch PCM stereo from optical output.
post #460 of 1882 Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWhite View Post

I did note, however, that many BDs do not contain a DD5.1 output in English.

DTS-HD BDs do not have DD 5.1. DD 5.1 is not mandatory. So, your receiver needs to be able to support DTS as well.

There are three types of BDs audio tracks:

1. LPCM 5.1/7.1. A lot of early BDs contains LPCM tracks. With than you will only getting PCM 2.0 from optical.

2. DD 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD. You will get DD 5.1 from optical

3. DTS-HD. You will get DTS 5.1 fro optical.
post #461 of 1882 Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Voila'! Connecting the player directly to the TV did the trick. Fortunately, one of my HDMI cables was long enough to make the reach, and HDMI resolution is set to "auto" without incident so far.

Thanks to everyone, particularly Foxbat 121, who not only helped me fix my problem but taught me some things I didn't know. And thanks also to everyone who posted in this thread previously and helped to influence me to get the BD65. I apologize for briefly de-railing the thread.
post #462 of 1882 Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Hey all. Was thinking of picking up on of these 65's to replace a LG BH200. The LG is the only blu ray player I've had so I really don't have much to compare it to. I talked my brother into the oppo 83 (which is ideally what i want) but it's a little out of my price range. Can anyone tell me if it will be an upgrade or about the same pq and sq. I'm running hdmi through a onkyo 705 to a panasonic th-58pz700u. Thanks.

Steve
post #463 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

I purchased a DMP-BD65 for the master bedroom. I had previously had the infamous Samsung BD-P1400 which I found so terrible that I had to give it away. Then I had connected my PS3 in the bedroom but it has become prone to overheating and seems to have damaged the HDMI chip as it now show "sparklies" on just about every connection.
I had a Sony BDP-N460 in my theater room that I was particularly fond of. However, I had read that the DMP-Bd65 is actually even quicker to load and had better quality upscaling. After receiving the DMP-BD65, I noted that it had one feature that is SORELY lacking from the Sony- an aspect ratio contol. Since my theater room is home to an Epson 8500UB which- despite being a fantastic budget projector- cannot "zoom" a 1080p source which leaves you helpless when watching non-anamorphic DVD on the Sony.
For the reasons, I actually decided to move the DMP-BD65 to theater room and move the Sony to the bedroom.
First impressions-
The unit is more attractive and the build quality is better than I expected from the photos I had seen (it looks very plasticy, almost "toylike" in most retailer photos but the actual unit seems to be have a fairly sturdy metal case with good ventilation and the plastic front fascia is of far more attractive material than actually appears in the photos.) However, the build quality is still slightly inferior to the Sony (sorry!)
While some of the menus are rather garish in appearance, the menu system is the best that I've seen on any optical disc player. It gives you easy, visual access to virtually every necessary picture and audio adjustment during playback while the "Viera Cast" and "Drive Select" buttons allow you switch playback modes on the fly without having to return the main menu. I especially like being able to map the "sub menu" button to the "Menu" button on my Harmony as it gives you easy access to both top- & popup-menus (plus screen aspect) without having to remember which one is mapped to the menu button and which one is buried in the custom buttons menu. I don't know how "user-friendly" this O/S is to Joe Six-Pack, but I know that it is far superior to anything I've tried before for the "power-user" or home theater buff. This also stands in stark contrast to the Sony which allows you little control overall and virtually none during playback- it is probably quite "user-friendly" but feels extremely limiting to those who are serious about their home theater experience.
As far as speed- there is no detectable difference in load-times for me between the Panasonic and the Sony. As such, I will take the word of Winston and others who have timed both players that the Panasonic is a decent bit faster, but must emphasis that both players seem fairly speedy in the course of normal operation. I do note that the Sony seems to "move" far smoother through its XMB interface than the Panasonic does in VieraCast (the VieraCast menus seem to studder a bit), however the VieraCast menus are more attractive and those with smaller displays may appreciate the larger icons (especially for Netflix where the Sony places 15+ icons per page- not an issue on a 10-foot projector screen but might strain the eyes on a 32" display at normal viewing distances.) I see no discernable difference in streaming picture quality aside from the fact that, for some inexplicable reason, I seem more prone to getting intermittent lower quality Netflix connections, even on my 14mbps line, with the Panasonic than I ever did with the Sony.
Now for my big concern- upscaling. I had read from multiple reviewers that then Panasonic's upscaling was superior to the Sony's. This excited me as I already found the Sony's upscaling to be quite good (in stark contrast to earlier Sony players) even on my 120" screen. As such, I was quite dissapointed when I found that, at least to my eyes, the Panasonic upscaling it not quite as good. Whereas the Sony seems almost overly sharp on many DVDs (possible a result of forced artifical edge enhancement and DNR?) the Panasonic looks comparably soft and sometimes even artificially noisy. Perhaps its just that I've grown used to the other, but I feel like upscaled DVDs on the Panasonic, upon close inspection, display an analog-like noise. Maybe this was grain that the Sony and the PS3 before it were artificially scrubbing away and, if so, I'll just have to grow used to the change... but maybe these are artifacts introduced by the Panasonic. This is not to say that it is a "bad" upscaler- the upscaling it better than the 2005-era Samsung & Sony upscaling DVD players that I own (which both produce very visible artifacts) or the extremely soft Samsung BD-P1400 (the first Samsung BD player without the famed Reon chip) and is definitely better, in my opinion, than my recent experience witht he Toshiba (Funai) BDX2000.
Overall, I am quite pleased with this player and its capabilities, especially for the true budget price it has sold for thanks to the recent Amazon promotion. But, Can anyone else comment on whether the upscaling lived up to the hype/their expectations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #464 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post

But, Can anyone else comment on whether the upscaling lived up to the hype/their expectations?

Great review, nice details.

This is my first and only blu-ray player so take it for what it's worth. Also note that I would put myself in the 90th percentile for pickiness when dissecting image quality, as opposed to the true 100th percentile anal retentive types (not an insult!) commonly found here.

That said, I think the upscaling is outstanding. I've found a number of DVDs to look almost blu-ray like in their picture quality. My frame of reference is watching those DVDs in 480p on a DVD player, but I think it is still valid that the quality is so vastly improved.

The menus are indeed pretty good in comparison to what's available, but I'm truly excited for the days when devices start using something like Android or iOS as the basis of their UIs. Apple was the first to make a beautiful interface for phones and others soon followed. I'm hoping google or apple leads the charge in the consumer electronics interface arena as well.
post #465 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpm0nkey View Post

Great review, nice details.
The menus are indeed pretty good in comparison to what's available, but I'm truly excited for the days when devices start using something like Android or iOS as the basis of their UIs.

Thank you...

I agree. I think that using a well-developed "modular" OS like Android will allow CE manufacturers to provide super-slick, feature packed GUI on future STBs. This should be to the benefit of all.

post #466 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

briefly described on page 17 of linked manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD45-MUL.PDF

Has anyone gotten this feature to work on a dvd or blu ray disc?

When i click on it, nothing happens unless there a secondary command I am missing.

Thanks.

Winston,
The function only applies for DVDs encoded in 4x3 or 4x3 letterbox, it does not function on anamorphic discs or Blu-Rays.
It seems intended strictly to allow non-anamorphic widescreen (4x3 letterbox) DVDs to be displayed in their proper aspect ratio. I can confirm that it does function and serves that intended purpose quite well.

post #467 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
With the following scenario, should I set "HDMI Resolution" to "Auto" or "1080p"? I have the BD65 hooked up to a 1080p projector(Mits. HC3800) with HDMI. I also watch standard DVD's on it. Thanks.
post #468 of 1882 Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Bought on of these today...gets here Tuesday,
post #469 of 1882 Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc6230sux View Post

Can I update my firmware using the SD Card or USB stick? Firmware Ver 1.43 is available on the web for download where as 1.2x is through the player.

That's a great question. Can we update with a USB stick?
post #470 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

With the following scenario, should I set "HDMI Resolution" to "Auto" or "1080p"? I have the BD65 hooked up to a 1080p projector(Mits. HC3800) with HDMI. I also watch standard DVD's on it. Thanks.

I own the BD35 and the BD30 and have both of them set to AUTO and have never had a problem. I have two PJs in my theater, a 1080p DLP and a 720p LCD.
post #471 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post

That's a great question. Can we update with a USB stick?

From the pdf Manual (p. 14):

If you use [BD45] or you use [BD65] and [BD655] but
downloading on this unit fails or this unit is not connected
the Internet, then you can download the latest firmware from
the following website and burn it to a CD-R to update the
firmware.
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/

(This site is in English only.)
post #472 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok, been reading through but can't read EVERY single post of this thread , so quick question

can this player decode DTS-HD MA ??? specifically can it decode it be "forced" to decode it... The reason I ask this is because I was thinking of getting the Sony S360 but found out that if your receiver is capable of decoding DTS-HD MA it forces the receiver to do so and will only decode on board the player if your receiver is incapable of decoding the lossless codecs.
post #473 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yes. There are settings to control the digital output formats for both DTS and DD. The choices are bitstream and PCM. All you need to do is set Secondary Audio to Off and the digital outputs to PCM. The player will decode the lossless tracks output the resulting multichannel PCM over HDMI.
post #474 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes. There are settings to control the digital output formats for both DTS and DD. The choices are bitstream and PCM. All you need to do is set Secondary Audio to Off and the digital outputs to PCM. The player will decode the lossless tracks output the resulting multichannel PCM over HDMI.

thanks so much man. I snagged one from Costco today and was hoping it was so
post #475 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisls111 View Post

really? are u sure for that??

Yes. Do you think that is not the case? If so, please explain.
post #476 of 1882 Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

well hello dolly, I noticed that you can control the bitstreaming and pcm FOR EACH format!!, so I can have my player decode DTS-HD MA and Bitstream TrueHD!!! which is freaking sweet! I have an Onkyo 605 that suffers from the DTS Bomb and I don't want to have to send it in. So I can have it decode the DTS-HD onboard and have the receiver decode the TrueHD
post #477 of 1882 Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

the DTS bomb can be solved at home. you dont need to send it in. I did the firmware update myself. just look on the net for it.

Jacob
post #478 of 1882 Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the DTS bomb can be solved at home. you dont need to send it in. I did the firmware update myself. just look on the net for it.

Jacob

you mind pointing me in the right direction??? I can find the firmware update for the 705, the 805 etc.. but I can't find it for the 605
post #479 of 1882 Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 AM

Did search this thread and di dnot see an asnwer to this question. I have a lot of older cd's that are remasters of, for instance JAZZ 78's from the 30'S OR 40'S, BTW, some are really neat as a lot of the pops, etc., were not really edited out. I would like to put them on a USB portable hard drive, I know it has to be smaller than 128 gigs, but my spare 80 gig edge drive is not recognized. I even tried powering with a wall plug to no avail. By the time I buy enough flash drives, I could pay for a new 80 gig drive, so I wonder if the problem is the spinning hard drive regardless of manufacturer, or if the old drive is on its last legs or if it is just edge drives. I started the project before I bought the BD 65 and it worked okay with my old Philips dvd player (but that became a brick after 9 months). Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I have a 160 gig drive combination firewire and USB, have put some stuff on it but the player said it was incompatible or something similar, can't remember exactly what, as opposed to the 80 gig drive which it does not see at all. Is it likely to work if I partition it to 100 gig (which is plenty big) and use that, has anyone tried this?

Thanks
post #480 of 1882 Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

hopefully this link will help.

Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page