Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1874 Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, the DMP-BD65K is my first Blu-Ray player.

I was watching Bourne Supremacy, paused the movie, came back later, and the Universal Studios screen saver was active.

I pressed play, and the player continued counting down on the LCD play timer, but the Universal screen saver did not go away.

No matter what button I pressed on the remote, the movie would not continue.
On every button click, the screen showed that this operation is not permitted, while the screen saver kept playing.

I contacted Panasonic support, described the problem, and got this cryptic reply in email:
"On BD-Video discs, including BD-J, the resume play function does not work."

I did some research and I see they are referring to BD-J discs, and resume play from the same position, after a power cycle, that is not supported.

In my case it is the resume play from pause, and screen saver, not power cycle, that does not work.

Anybody else experience this?
Any ideas?

P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1874 Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post

I was watching Bourne Supremacy, paused the movie, came back later, and the Universal Studios screen saver was active.

I pressed play, and the player continued counting down on the LCD play timer, but the Universal screen saver did not go away.

On every button click, the screen showed that this operation is not permitted, while the screen saver kept playing.

I contacted Panasonic support, described the problem, and got this cryptic reply in email:

I did some research and I see they are referring to BD-J discs, and resume play from the same position, after a power cycle, that is not supported.

In my case it is the resume play from pause, and screen saver, not power cycle, that does not work.

Any ideas?

P.

I had the same thing happen with a Universal movie. The 1st time it happened, I wound up powering off and back on to restart the movie. The 2nd time (same viewing of same movie), I finally made it come out of the pause (Universal) screen saver by pressing the 'OK' button (in the center of the four navigational arrows).

Bob
post #483 of 1874 Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

I had the same thing happen with a Universal movie. The 1st time it happened, I wound up powering off and back on to restart the movie. The 2nd time (same viewing of same movie), I finally made it come out of the pause (Universal) screen saver by pressing the 'OK' button (in the center of the four navigational arrows).

Bob

Thanks, I think I did try Ok, but only after pressing Play, but I'll try Ok next time first.

This still seems to be a bug in the firmware?

P.
post #484 of 1874 Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Any ideas?

P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

Bob

Did you try pressing the pop-up menu button on the remote to get rid of the Universal screen saver?
post #485 of 1874 Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM

I just hooked up mine, and I'm using optical for audio out. I seem to be getting only the center speaker.

I've got some setting, some where wrong.

Any ideas?
post #486 of 1874 Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I think I did try Ok, but only after pressing Play, but I'll try Ok next time first.

This still seems to be a bug in the firmware?

P.

I also had this perplexing problem with Universal BD screen savers on both the 65 and my previous 60. If you press the OK button it will always drop the screen saver and take you back to the movie. It's not explained anywhere, I had to learn that "trick" here on AVS also. But that's a Universal error, not so much on the Panasonic. Just another quirk of BD authoring, every studio seems to have their own way of doing things. I share your frustration with it.
post #487 of 1874 Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Does anyone know if this player will send 480i via HDMI so I can compare the scaler in my Denon 4310 with this scaler?
post #488 of 1874 Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase View Post

Does anyone know if this player will send 480i via HDMI so I can compare the scaler in my Denon 4310 with this scaler?

No, it does not. It can do 480i over component. But, even with component, I believe it deinterlaces to 480p and interlaces back to 480i. At least, that's how it works with the BD35/55 players.
post #489 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Just tried hooking up the Internet connection to my 65. I'm using "Wired".

During the connection setup, I'm shown that it passes the "LAN Connection Test" and "IP Address" tests but not "Gateway".

I called Panny who told me, it's my router. I bypassed the router and went straight from the modem, and got the same results.

Internet provider says it's the 65, Panny says it's the router.

Thanks for help in advance!
post #490 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Did you power cycle your modem when you connect directly to the player? If not, there is your problem.
post #491 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 PM

OK I just tried that. The Pass Fail markers came up quicker, but, still won't connect online.
post #492 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
its the panasonic 65 problem. I have this problem with the panasonic 85.

Jacob
post #493 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

its the panasonic 65 problem. I have this problem with the panasonic 85.

Jacob

Jacob, what have you....or what did you do about it?
post #494 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have it set wireless. I am working with panasonic. its on going thing at the moment. my problem is that it cannt stay connected to bdlive. I have to use the connection test each time that I want to use the bdlive.

Jacob
post #495 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM

So, you bought the adapter?

Oh wait, you don't need the adapter for the 85.
post #496 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

the panasonic 85 came with one.

Jacob
post #497 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 PM

So I'm hosed.
post #498 of 1874 Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the same connection problem regardless if I was hardwired or wireless.
its just a problem that panasonic must figure out.
you are not alone. others have the same problem.

Jacob
post #499 of 1874 Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Did you try pressing the pop-up menu button on the remote to get rid of the Universal screen saver?

I tried that one...didn't work here. Only the OK button worked here.

Bob
post #500 of 1874 Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post

Just tried hooking up the Internet connection to my 65. I'm using "Wired".

During the connection setup, I'm shown that it passes the "LAN Connection Test" and "IP Address" tests but not "Gateway".

Are you hard wired through wall plates/jacks?

If so, you may want to check the jacks. I had a similar problem when I decided to get a network BD player. I could (occasionally) connect but at least 2/3rds of the time, it would not and it would usually be a gateway connection.

I tore my hair out for nearly 2 weeks. Made my own new CAT5 cables, returned the player for another. Checked my network box. Had our IT guy at work verify that my brand new NetGear switch was working all to no avail.

Then one day the IT guy at work made a comment that it has to be the CAT5 wall jacks, "we've checked everything else". Sure enough, after checking the first jack in the system, it was wired with a non typical pattern. All of my cables are the typical 568B pattern and whoever wired our house when it was built, used a 4 line telephone pattern instead of a CAT5 568 pattern. They had left the diagram sticker on the jack and I looked it up.

After rewiring to the 568B pattern, I have not had a single problem with connecting.

It's worth a shot to pull your jack and check...

Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #501 of 1874 Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 PM

can someone help me with what equipment I need.
I run the BD65 in the basement and my desktop is on the main floor. I was told to get a wireless N router then run a cat6 cable to the BD65 through the duct work. This seems it may be a problem so I need another option in case. Will an N-series access point hooked up to the BD65 give me decent speed?

Someone else mentioned to get a wireless N PCI card for my desktop (no idea why?)

Im curious what others are using, we have a netflix free trial right now and I though it might be worth the purchase (we also have a wireless G laptop that could benefit from this)
post #502 of 1874 Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

How many gigabytes is necessary for the SD card to have the best Blue-Ray live performance? I want the best performance.
post #503 of 1874 Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM

I love the Pandora feature, but each time I try and turn off the Panasonic Plasma S2 the Pandora disconnects. I don't want to have to have the TV on when listening to the music. I have tried using the off button on the remote and the off button on the Plasma and it always disconnects. Pandora is connected with the BDDVD65. Thanks
post #504 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

I love the Pandora feature, but each time I try and turn off the Panasonic Plasma S2 the Pandora disconnects. I don't want to have to have the TV on when listening to the music. I have tried using the off button on the remote and the off button on the Plasma and it always disconnects. Pandora is connected with the BDDVD65. Thanks

First try turning off the Viera Link feature. If your TV has a "quick start" or "warm standby" feature, try turning that on (to try to keep the HDMI connection active even when the display panel is off). If that doesn't help, try connecting the BD65 to the TV using component cables instead of HDMI. If your HDMI could be connected through a receiver which stays on, that might also keep the HDMI into the BD65 active even with the TV off.
post #505 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

First try turning off the Viera Link feature. If your TV has a "quick start" or "warm standby" feature, try turning that on (to try to keep the HDMI connection active even when the display panel is off). If that doesn't help, try connecting the BD65 to the TV using component cables instead of HDMI. If your HDMI could be connected through a receiver which stays on, that might also keep the HDMI into the BD65 active even with the TV off.

It won't make a difference (both Viera Link or Receiver). HDMI HDCP chain (from player all the way to TV) must maintain active all the time in order for player to output anything through HDMI.
post #506 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It won't make a difference (both Viera Link or Receiver). HDMI HDCP chain (from player all the way to TV) must maintain active all the time in order for player to output anything through HDMI.

I have a five year old panny hd tv, it connects to the 65 via hdmi and i can listen to music without any problems, there are menu options in the tv regarding viera link and you can control the auto on and off features.
post #507 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 12:17 PM

I have my BD65 connected to a receiver via HDMI, and the receiver then goes to the TV via HDMI. So if you are using HDMI, the Plasma will HAVE to be on for Pandora to work? I left the receiver on and tried to turn off the TV with no go. If that's how it works, I will probably not use Pandora much as I can't imagine leaving a 65" set on while listening to Pandora.

Quote:

post #508 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:

The first time I played Pandora and then turned off my HDTV it disconnected. I changed some setting, I believe the Viera Link in the BD655 or the AquosLink in my Sharp or both and believe I was able to play Pandora with the HDTV set off. I will check this evening.

I have my BD655 connected through a Panny 663 to a Sharp LH52D64U via HDMI.
post #509 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

I have a five year old panny hd tv, it connects to the 65 via hdmi and i can listen to music without any problems, there are menu options in the tv regarding viera link and you can control the auto on and off features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit112 View Post

The first time I played Pandora and then turned off my HDTV it disconnected. I changed some setting, I believe the Viera Link in the BD655 or the AquosLink in my Sharp or both and believe I was able to play Pandora with the HDTV set off. I will check this evening.

I have my BD655 connected through a Panny 663 to a Sharp LH52D64U via HDMI.

VieraLink (panasonic) and AquosLink(Sharp) are HDMI CEC control protocols that let you automatically turn on or off devices in HDMI chain. Yes, if you have any type of HDMI CEC on, your player may get turn off if you turn off the TV. But it is not the most significant problem of it (playing music with TV off).

You can play the music with TV off ONLY if you never turned on the TV when you power on the player. If TV was on and then turned off, the HDCP chain will be broken and players are instructed to stop playing to HDMI. If you have a HDMI receiver in the middle, sometimes you can simply power cycle the receiver to restore the player's capability to resume play (this time the HDCP chain only contains receiver, not TV). But in anycase, anytime HDCP chain is broken, it is by design that the player should stop immediately.
post #510 of 1874 Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

VieraLink (panasonic) and AquosLink(Sharp) are HDMI CEC control protocols that let you automatically turn on or off devices in HDMI chain. Yes, if you have any type of HDMI CEC on, your player may get turn off if you turn off the TV. But it is not the most significant problem of it (playing music with TV off).

You can play the music with TV off ONLY if you never turned on the TV when you power on the player. If TV was on and then turned off, the HDCP chain will be broken and players are instructed to stop playing to HDMI. If you have a HDMI receiver in the middle, sometimes you can simply power cycle the receiver to restore the player's capability to resume play (this time the HDCP chain only contains receiver, not TV). But in anycase, anytime HDCP chain is broken, it is by design that the player should stop immediately.

Foxbat121,

I can say you are slightly incorrect in this matter, at least with my setup.

I am currently listening to Pandora through my receiver with my HDTV turned off. Had the TV on when I powered on the receiver and the player. flipped to the HDMI input for the receiver to get video, selected Viera Cast, selected Pandora, selected a station, play, then turned off the TV. The song will play to completion. I THEN HAD TO POWER ON MY HDTV TO PLAY THE NEXT SONG.

I spoke too soon! Maybe there is a timer inherent in the protocol? I say this because after I restarted for the 2nd song, it played to completion and then the 3rd song started!

No timer in the protocol, automatically started the 4th song. That makes 3 in a row with the HDTV off.

On the 5th song now, but 4th seemed to have been truncated.

Played through the 9th song and stopped.

Turned on the TV and there is a "SERVER ERROR, Server error occured, Please access later. -35". It then flips back and forth(with pressing the OK button) between a Server Error -35 and a Server Error -52.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page