post #541 of 1874 Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

The problem is coming from Netflix's side. They don't have enough bandwidth to handle many subscribers that stream hd movies at the same time.

Thanks Kage. How do you know this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1874 Old 07-17-2010, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks Kage. How do you know this?

Hey guys I tried ordering an amazon on demand movie last night and I got this error saying "amazon on demand is currently not able to stream on panasonic bluray players at the moment" anyone else having this problem or know why??
Unit: dmp-bd60.
post #543 of 1874 Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 AM

I had an interesting problem yesterday. My son had been watching a DVD in the afternoon, but when I tried playing one later that evening I had no audio out of the machine on the Blu-Ray/DVD optical drive. Tried several different DVD's and BR's with the same results. But oddly Netflix, Youtube, and other NET applications played the audio just fine so I knew it wasn't a setting or connection problem. Have never had that happen before with either the 65, or the 605 (Costco version) that I had previously.

Was prepared to take it back to Costco when I remembered one of the cardinal rules of these kind of electronics. When in doubt, unplug the unit to reset it. Sure enough, that solved the problem immediately and all the DVD's and BR's worked again perfectly. Just thought I'd pass that tip along for anyone else who might run into an admittedly rare but still frustrating quirk of an otherwise great machine. I still have no idea what caused it to drop the audio on the optical drive to begin with though...
post #544 of 1874 Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
sometimes the receiver and the player get out of sync. I sometimes have to turn off the receiver or change the channel and then go.. then it will work fine.. like it was set on dvd then change it to cable or vcr and then back to dvd.

Jacob
post #545 of 1874 Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _thx1138_ View Post

Hey guys I tried ordering an amazon on demand movie last night and I got this error saying "amazon on demand is currently not able to stream on panasonic bluray players at the moment" anyone else having this problem or know why??
Unit: dmp-bd60.

I haven't gotten this message, but the last few days I can't stream Amazon HD on BD65. I have had the player over a month, and at first had no trouble skimming through HD trailers, etc. Now, the player takes forever to check connection, load video, etc, and then doesn't even show the screen with the connection bars (originally I got 4 bars). Then it plays SD video. I have checked my wired connection with laptop and get the same speed as always (2.57mbps, slow, I know, but the highest I can get from AT&T at this time). So it worked OK for a while,in spite of the pokey DSL. No newer software available for bd65, and Amazon site says 2.5mbps will stream 720p HD. Any ideas? Panasonic problem or Amazon problem?
post #546 of 1874 Old 07-21-2010, 05:23 PM

I want to watch DivX movies on my WD element USB drive thru BD65. Is it possible? Do I need to download any new firmware? I just bought new BD65 from amazon yesterday, but once I connect my USB drive thru USB port in the front of the player, The planyer does not seem to recognise it and options on the screen is not highlighted to select USB drive to view the contents. Although the light on the drive is on. If I put the thumb drive then JPEG pictures and MP3 music files can be played but not DivX movies. Is this option available only in BD85.
post #547 of 1874 Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hi all,

I am close to purchasing this player. Can someone just confirm for me that it plays at 1.5x speed with audio (stereo is fine) and subtitles? This is critical to WAF.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #548 of 1874 Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacheti View Post

I want to watch DivX movies on my WD element USB drive thru BD65. Is it possible? Do I need to download any new firmware? I just bought new BD65 from amazon yesterday, but once I connect my USB drive thru USB port in the front of the player, The planyer does not seem to recognise it and options on the screen is not highlighted to select USB drive to view the contents. Although the light on the drive is on. If I put the thumb drive then JPEG pictures and MP3 music files can be played but not DivX movies. Is this option available only in BD85.

I had issues using a diskgo usb drive. there is mention somewhere in the manual that it is not likely going to work with a spinning drive that requires power through the USB port. Also, if the drive is >128 gig you will need to partition it on your computer to no more than 128 gig. I do occasionally use a spinning drive that i partitioned down and which has its own power supply.
post #549 of 1874 Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Is anyone having problems with the BD65 and streaming Netflix HD movies?
Does the BD65 have any known issues slowing down your internet download speed? I'm having a problem when trying to stream HD movies. It won't give me enough bars, and the movie plays in SD. TWC had me run speed tests, and they were 5.8 and 6.1 Mbps. Last night I ran a speed test while an HD movie was streaming, and it was 4.7 Mbps. Is that good, bad or normal? Thanks.

I have at least 12mbps from Comcast and I still cant get HD through netflix. It's annoying as **** and makes the instant watching worthless since the quality is actually worse than normal SD with my Directv.
post #550 of 1874 Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto2 View Post

I have at least 12mbps from Comcast and I still cant get HD through netflix. It's annoying as **** and makes the instant watching worthless since the quality is actually worse than normal SD with my Directv.

This is all really good to know, I was going to have my internet speed bumped up, at additional cost (of course), to get better quality. Thanks to everyone for the good info.
post #551 of 1874 Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Hey.

I'm thinking about purchasing the BD65 and I have a couple of questions about playing mp3's from a usb stick.

I'm assuming after you plug the stick in you navigate to a menu and all the songs are listed and played from there?

What about the sound quality? Does it sound the same as other devices you use to play the same mp3 files?

Thanks.
post #552 of 1874 Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazedOmega View Post

Hey.

I'm thinking about purchasing the BD65 and I have a couple of questions about playing mp3's from a usb stick.

I'm assuming after you plug the stick in you navigate to a menu and all the songs are listed and played from there?

What about the sound quality? Does it sound the same as other devices you use to play the same mp3 files?

Thanks.

Pretty much it actually lists folders, I have almost all of my cd's on a drive. and yes it sounds quite good, I play mine through a good system it is not as good as CD's but things that started out as records, particularly a while back, I listen to a lot of older jazz for instance, sound about as good, some things a little less, but I suspect you really need to A/B to hear the difference.

What I did that is very convenient is burn all of it to 4 dvd's I find it to be the best and a lot cheaper than the thumb drive I would need for all.
post #553 of 1874 Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, no thanks to anyone here, but I would like to confirm for anyone else who is looking for this info that this player does indeed allow fast forward with stereo audio. The speed is roughly 1.5x, just like the PS3.

post #554 of 1874 Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen View Post

... this player does indeed allow fast forward with stereo audio...

Just curious, does it have audio pitch correction?
post #555 of 1874 Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

Just curious, does it have audio pitch correction?

I couldn't say whether the audio is altered, but I can say that it retains the pitch of the normal speed video. Whether that means it is corrected or not, I can't say, as I've never heard it with the improper pitch.

Essentially, it works just like the PS3, except it doesn't display "1.5x" on the screen during playback. There is a tad more video judder. I might try engaging the "motion flow" setting on my TV to see if it ameliorates the judder.

post #556 of 1874 Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 AM

Liked: 16
I currently own a BD60, is it worth upgrading to a BD65 (mainly for speed) ?
post #557 of 1874 Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Probably not for speed alone. It is still one of the slower players acording to Consumer Reports. I did it a few months ago to also get Netflix. Now, I would wait for next gen. Or switch to another brand for speed.
post #558 of 1874 Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss View Post

Probably not for speed alone. It is still one of the slower players according to Consumer Reports. I did it a few months ago to also get Netflix. Now, I would wait for next gen. Or switch to another brand for speed.

Not according Winston reviews here:
http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=56

BD65 speed ranking 9, BD60 at 7.5.
I have the BD65 and find it quite fast like the LG BD390 which I have as well.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #559 of 1874 Old 07-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Winston's ratings are getting a little old. CU says the LG BD570 and Samsung BD-C6500 are about 40% faster, but it does not say if quick start was turned on for the BD65. They usually use default settings for testing. The BD65 is particularly slow at standard DVDs. I don't think Winston's timings included those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Not according Winston reviews ...

post #560 of 1874 Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Winston's ratings are getting a little old. CU says the LG BD570 and Samsung BD-C6500 are about 40% faster, but it does not say if quick start was turned on for the BD65. They usually use default settings for testing. The BD65 is particularly slow at standard DVDs. I don't think Winston's timings included those.

If they are the same models how does the data get a little old. Sorry, but for reviews of Blu-ray players I trust winston more than Consumer Reports. You even say that Consumer Reports didn't disclose if quick start was on or off while winston does.
post #561 of 1874 Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Winston reviews may be older but unless one is to assume that current serial numbers of the BD65 perform slower than the tested units or that subsequent FW updates have slowed it down (highly unlikely) since posters have noted improved speeds, the BD65 does not disappoint.

Moreover I find the SD DVD upscaling of the BD65 topnotch and not far behind the Oppo 83 as noted by posters that have both players. And my LG 55LH90 TV (top rated by CU BTW) is excellent at revealing any flaws.

Finally, forgot to mention that I have the BD60 as well and will attest to the fact that to BD65 loads and ejects noticeably faster than the BD60.

Should mention that my Pannys are the warehouse versions i.e. BD655 and BD605 but these are identical except for model numbering.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #562 of 1874 Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Finally, forgot to mention that I have the BD60 as well and will attest to the fact that to BD65 loads and ejects noticeably faster than the BD60.

I agree with that. I also have a BD60 in a box waiting for a worthy recipient. And also that the BD65 is currently the best bang for buck.
post #563 of 1874 Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

My DMP-BD65 is about one week old and my second Blu-ray experience after a Sony PS3.
Both players were "bonus" offers from Sony and Panasonic in conjunction with Tele purchases, so the following is not a huge issue with me, but would appreciate if anyone has found the same.
After a few days of testing, I've concluded that the PS3 in terms of general picture quality is far better than the 65 both for Blu-rays and DVD's.
I've tested into a 46" Bravia and a 50" Pana Plasma and also into my Norwegian "Action" Projector.
The first thing I noticed with the 65 was that blacks are not as good as with the PS3.
Without any adjustment in the Picture "user" mode or any of the picture presets, there appears to be a few percent pedestal or set-up in the black region, attempting to re-adjust the brightness in user mode makes little all difference to this situation.
The picture is quite HD crisp for both Blu-ray and upconversion of DVD in this respect, but I really think the grey-scale in this baby is not linear.

For normal DVD's my old Pioneer DV-989AVi (DV-79AVi Elite in USA) absolutely eats this 65 for picture quality in general!
As these machines are now about 6 years old I would have expected better from the "65" newy, or is it just that the Panny is really a budget player and as it was a bonus, I should be looking for something better?
post #564 of 1874 Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

My DMP-BD65 is about one week old and my second Blu-ray experience after a Sony PS3.
Both players were "bonus" offers from Sony and Panasonic in conjunction with Tele purchases, so the following is not a huge issue with me, but would appreciate if anyone has found the same.
After a few days of testing, I've concluded that the PS3 in terms of general picture quality is far better than the 65 both for Blu-rays and DVD's.
I've tested into a 46" Bravia and a 50" Pana Plasma and also into my Norwegian "Action" Projector.
The first thing I noticed with the 65 was that blacks are not as good as with the PS3.
Without any adjustment in the Picture "user" mode or any of the picture presets, there appears to be a few percent pedestal or set-up in the black region, attempting to re-adjust the brightness in user mode makes little all difference to this situation.
The picture is quite HD crisp for both Blu-ray and upconversion of DVD in this respect, but I really think the grey-scale in this baby is not linear.

For normal DVD's my old Pioneer DV-989AVi (DV-79AVi Elite in USA) absolutely eats this 65 for picture quality in general!
As these machines are now about 6 years old I would have expected better from the "65" newy, or is it just that the Panny is really a budget player and as it was a bonus, I should be looking for something better?

Why are you making your adjustments in the player and not in your set?
Have you adjusted your brightness and contrast on the 65 using a test disk like DVE or the THX test patterns?
post #565 of 1874 Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I've tried adjustments at the display end of the chain, both with the plasma and the projector, but I believe the issue that I'm seeing is coming from the "65" source.
Thus tweeking at the other end causes a "Black Crush" to other inputs. This is fine if you want to be continually adjusting as you use other sources.
The Brightness adjustment in the 65's user menu has an extremely limited range, with my unit anyway!
I haven't any test gear at home, only eyes from 40 years in a Tele station involved with pictures.
Perhaps I'm just too fussy for this unit and should accept it in the "Bonus environment" that I got it in.
I still though refer back mainly to the Pioneer 989AVi / 79AVi's, these were man's machines for quality, I feel anyway which still lasts into this era.
I wonder at the shock I would get flipping off the top covers of the 989 and new unit and seeing what's inside on that board.
I don't want to turn this into a discussion in the flavor of how much one needs to spend on interconnect cables....but I do know what I am seeing.
post #566 of 1874 Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

So you are running all your components through a single cable to your display and that is why you are tweaking the player instead of the display. I still think you should use a calibration disc. When was younger I was a dye chemist, I know not to trust my eyes alone anymore.
post #567 of 1874 Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed on the eyes to a point, but they do have to be happy with what they see.

All input sources are fed to an Onkyo TX-SR578 and are thus switched HDMI wise to either a flat panel TV (Panny 50" Plasma) or "Action" Projector.
As I said I'm maybe a tad too fussy, but I'm noticing a distinct "Pedestal" change when bringing on the "65".
I'm talking Pedestal/Set-up which can be seen in a different form than overall brightness, although brightness is the underlying impression.

I'm still wondering if there is a fault with this player.

In the "User" picture menu, when floating the brightness up and down there is really hardly any change. Whereas Contrast, Gamma etc swings markedly on any adjustment.
I notice also with the Brightness it only floats between 0 and (+) something, but the other picture adjustments have a (-) swing as well!

Can someone see if their "65" has this very limited range of adjustment to brightness in the menu?
Mine is on "0" which I would imagine is default, but you cannot go below this, as said above there is only a positive movement with very little change!
post #568 of 1874 Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So, any ideas on what's new in firmware 1.27? Just updated today (8/3/10). I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference.

post #569 of 1874 Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen View Post

So, any ideas on what's new in firmware 1.27? Just updated today (8/3/10). I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference.

Improvements
Date/Version Description
2010/08/03
Ver 1.27

1. BD disc playability improvement
2. VIERA CAST stability improvement
post #570 of 1874 Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hate to ask the question that gets asked so often in these threads, but has anyone discovered a "hack" to make the DMP-BD65 (US version) region-free for SD DVDs?
I've checked videohelp but basically struck out as their only hack is a very complex DMP-BD60 hack using a after-market universal controller and appears to only be tested on EU models.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page