Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

I just ordered a BD65 for $88 with the HH gregg's deal with free shipping

For those who have owned the BD60 AND BD65, what improvements have you guys noticed in the BD65 ?

Thanks.

I have the BD55, BD60 and the BD65, the biggest thing I have seen is the start time from stand by. With the BD65 set to quick start the unit powers up much faster then the BD-60 which was quicker then the BD55. The BD55 was the top model 2 years ago and had the analog outputs, since getting a new AVR with HDMI that is not an issue any longer. There doesn't seem to be any major picture quality differences between the units. All have nearly the same set up menus. I started with the BD30 and have been pleased with these units.

In fact I have been able to use the same code from the bd-30 with my Harmony remote for all units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1886 Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It appears that your receiver doesn't support DTS. Go into setup and change the digital audio parm for DTS from bitstream to PCM. Unlike DVD's, Blu-Ray disc that are mastered in DTS do not have to have Dolby Digital tracks for the main feature. Many older receivers don't decode DTS.

I'm having the same problem with audio on some blu-ray discs. I connected my BD65 to my Marantz NR1501 Receiver via HDMI. My Marantz receiver supports DTS so could there be something else? Would using an optical connection bypass this problem?
post #633 of 1886 Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWilmath View Post

I'm having the same problem with audio on some blu-ray discs. I connected my BD65 to my Marantz NR1501 Receiver via HDMI. My Marantz receiver supports DTS so could there be something else? Would using an optical connection bypass this problem?

You shouldn't have a problem with that receiver. Ensure you have both Dolby Digital AND DTS set to bitstream in your player. If both formats are set to bitstream and you still have a problem it sounds as if your player is defective.
post #634 of 1886 Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

You shouldn't have a problem with that receiver. Ensure you have both Dolby Digital AND DTS set to bitstream in your player. If both formats are set to bitstream and you still have a problem it sounds as if your player is defective.

Thanks Moxie - Checked those settings and they were not set to bitstream, so hopefully that will fix it. One more question. On the same menu that you set the Dolby Digital AND DTS set to bitstream, there is an option for "BD-Video Secondary Audio". The choices are Off or On. Which should I select?
post #635 of 1886 Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWilmath View Post

Thanks Moxie - Checked those settings and they were not set to bitstream, so hopefully that will fix it. One more question. On the same menu that you set the Dolby Digital AND DTS set to bitstream, there is an option for "BD-Video Secondary Audio". The choices are Off or On. Which should I select?

You want to set secondary audio to off in order to get lossless audio.
post #636 of 1886 Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Some good info here. Glad I peeked. Still having an issue with audio? If so, try using a TOS optical cable. I found out the hard way that neither my HD cable box nor my HD Dishnetwork DVR do 5.1 with the HDMI. The enhanced audio requires optical. Maybe the Panasonic DMP-BD655 is the same. I'm testing now.
post #637 of 1886 Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does this player resume non-Java BD from standby?
It's been hinted that it does, but I want to know for sure.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #638 of 1886 Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post

Does this player resume non-Java BD from standby?
It's been hinted that it does, but I want to know for sure.

I know you do get a prompt to continue playback when you're in the setup menu. That's all I can vouch for.
post #639 of 1886 Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Now going for $115 plus free shipping @ amazon

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #640 of 1886 Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got mine ($88 deal) today ... Will try to hook it up soon; the BD60 is still going on after FW 2.5, but I will be looking to sell it pretty soon, if the freeze issue seems to be solved.

What do you guys think of merging this thread with the BD85 thread? I posted a suggestion, but someone (a "special" member ) disagreed saying "we don't need BD65 owners, this thread is already big" etc...
I just think it will be easier to find info because a lot of tech stuff is common to both players...
post #641 of 1886 Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM

I got my $88 BD 65 Friday. I had it hooked up, updated, and streaming Netflix in less than 10 minutes. It streams so much better than my computer. Prologic II sounds good, but I get a small audio delay. All in all, I'm impressed enough that I'm getting a second one. (First one was for my daughter.) I wish the second was $88 too.
post #642 of 1886 Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by colden View Post

I know you do get a prompt to continue playback when you're in the setup menu. That's all I can vouch for.

Thanks for that, colden.
I bought one today. It does resume non-Java BD from standby.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #643 of 1886 Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Still having an issue with audio? If so, try using a TOS optical cable. I found out the hard way that neither my HD cable box nor my HD Dishnetwork DVR do 5.1 with the HDMI. The enhanced audio requires optical. Maybe the Panasonic DMP-BD655 is the same. I'm testing now.

?? HDMI can everything that optical can do. And more. Perhaps the problem is your receiver. AVRs that only do HDMI switching cannot extract audio from HDMI. They require a separate audio connection.
post #644 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

?? HDMI can everything that optical can do. And more. Perhaps the problem is your receiver. AVRs that only do HDMI switching cannot extract audio from HDMI. They require a separate audio connection.

I'll let the Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD cable box do the talking:

"Important Note Regarding the HDMI Interface on the 8300HD
The HDMI interface will automatically configure the audio output for a format supported by the television. Because not all TVs support a Dolby Digital input, the HDMI interface may automatically select a 2-channel stereo audio configuration instead of Dolby Digital. When the output is configured for 2-channel audio, this configuration is carried over to the other digital audio outputs of the 8300HD. This configuration prevents your home theater system or Dolby Digital decoder from providing the full Dolby Digital surround sound effect.

On the 8300HD, you may override the automatic selection of audio by the HDMI interface by completing the following steps.
1. Press SETTINGS twice on the remote control to open the General Settings menu.
2. Press MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to select the option Audio: Digital Out.
3. Press MOVE RIGHT to select Dolby Digital. This setting will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT, and OPTICAL AUDIO OUT connectors on the 8300HD."
post #645 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM

I've read a lot of talk on how people are pleased with the BD-655's ability to connect to the Internet. I'm not and can't. My Linksys router has 4 yellow LEDS in its front panel and the one going to the player is not lit. And when I try to setup the player's connection, I get the "FAILED" message. Is the new 25' CAT6 cable bad or what? It is an STP (shielded twisted pair).
post #646 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
BD65 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229362

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #647 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

colden:
Check to see if your router is working at all, by trying to connect to internet with a laptop using the router.
I didn't have to "set up" anything on my BD60, which I don't think is any different than the BD65.
I just connected the router to the player and that was it. (my router is also a linksys, WRT54GL)

Also, try resetting the router by pulling the power adapter plug, waiting about 5 min. and then reconnecting it.
post #648 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I'll let the Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD cable box do the talking...

That's a handshake matter, not an inability of HDMI to transmit 5.1. It's a common issue with set top boxes and disc players.

TVs are two channel devices and may instruct the playback device to decode and downmix to stereo PCM. If you run HDMI through your AVR, then the proper solution is to simply disable the AVR's HDMI audio output. Then, there's no audio handshake with the TV and you get 5.1 audio. Some AVRs have a setting called HDMI Audio, which you would set to Off. Others have one called AMP or AMP + TV. The AMP setting disables the HDMI audio output.

Your post saying that neither of your set top boxes does 5.1 over HDMI is incorrect. They will output 5.1 when the AVR is properly configured. The statement that enhanced audio requires an optical cable is also incorrect. In fact, if the OP connects his BD player using optical, he will lose the ability to hear lossless TrueHD and dts-MA tracks. HDMI supports those codecs while optical is limited to legacy DD 5.1 and DTS. That's fine with TV broadcasts, which only use DD 5.1. But, it's an unnecessary limitation with Blu-ray.
post #649 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I've read a lot of talk on how people are pleased with the BD-655's ability to connect to the Internet. I'm not and can't. My Linksys router has 4 yellow LEDS in its front panel and the one going to the player is not lit. And when I try to setup the player's connection, I get the "FAILED" message. Is the new 25' CAT6 cable bad or what? It is an STP (shielded twisted pair).

Dasher is right, most of the time you need to unplug the router then start everything over in sequence router, then individual devices coming from the router, it is also not a bad idea (and yes a minor PIA) to also restart the modem, whether cable or dsl as well and then the router and follow that with the devices.
post #650 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's a handshake matter, not an inability of HDMI to transmit 5.1. It's a common issue with set top boxes and disc players.

TVs are two channel devices and may instruct the playback device to decode and downmix to stereo PCM. If you run HDMI through your AVR, then the proper solution is to simply disable the AVR's HDMI audio output. Then, there's no audio handshake with the TV and you get 5.1 audio. Some AVRs have a setting called HDMI Audio, which you would set to Off. Others have one called AMP or AMP + TV. The AMP setting disables the HDMI audio output.

Your post saying that neither of your set top boxes does 5.1 over HDMI is incorrect. They will output 5.1 when the AVR is properly configured. The statement that enhanced audio requires an optical cable is also incorrect. In fact, if the OP connects his BD player using optical, he will lose the ability to hear lossless TrueHD and dts-MA tracks. HDMI supports those codecs while optical is limited to legacy DD 5.1 and DTS. That's fine with TV broadcasts, which only use DD 5.1. But, it's an unnecessary limitation with Blu-ray.

Very well said. Thanks for the helpful advice. Now if I can get my ethernet figured out, I'll be a happy camper.
post #651 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Yep. best to reset ALL devices like dhkinil said.

I am also wondering about cables in my set up: it works fine with a very old Cat5 cable betw the router and the Panasonic, but should I just change it to a cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable to see if anything would improve or just for peace of mind?
post #652 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:

colden:
Check to see if your router is working at all, by trying to connect to internet with a laptop using the router.
I didn't have to "set up" anything on my BD60, which I don't think is any different than the BD65.
I just connected the router to the player and that was it. (my router is also a linksys, WRT54GL)

Also, try resetting the router by pulling the power adapter plug, waiting about 5 min. and then reconnecting it.

I have the same router as you. Also, it's been working fine for well over a year, running three pc's and two VOIPs. I already did what you have suggested, but I'll do it again to eliminate any possible glitches. Thanks.
post #653 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah let us know what happens.
Also check on the "setup" screen that "allow to connect to internet" is checked or enabled. There's something like that somewhere...
post #654 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Yep. best to reset ALL devices like dhkinil said.

I am also wondering about cables in my set up: it works fine with a very old Cat5 cable betw the router and the Panasonic, but should I just change it to a cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable to see if anything would improve or just for peace of mind?

Go for it! I've heard from other posters that CAT6 provides better Netflix connections compared to CAT5. Let us know as soon as you do. I can't wait to hear your result.
post #655 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Cool. I will check on monoprice asap. (my fav. cable source)...i hope our routers are compatible with cat6 cables.
post #656 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Cool. I will check on monoprice asap. (my fav. cable source)...i hope our routers are compatible with cat6 cables.

I haven't heard or read anywhere that that's an issue. You can always pick one up locally and return it when the test is over
post #657 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

Dasher is right, most of the time you need to unplug the router then start everything over in sequence router, then individual devices coming from the router, it is also not a bad idea (and yes a minor PIA) to also restart the modem, whether cable or dsl as well and then the router and follow that with the devices.

Just thinking....to reset a telephone adaptor, router, modem, etc., power cords get unplugged. Understanding that, how would the Panasonic Blu-Ray be reset?
Unplugging it doesn't make a lot of sense.
post #658 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I think there's a "reset factory defaults" option somewhere under the set up menu.
either that, or there's a certain button combination (like pressing eject while holding play etc)...might be under the "troubleshooting" in the manual.
post #659 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I think there's a "reset factory defaults" option somewhere under the set up menu.
either that, or there's a certain button combination (like pressing eject while holding play etc)...might be under the "troubleshooting" in the manual.

Why would I want to reset factory defaults, assuming that is possible? I don't believe that would have any effect on the Internet setup. According to the manual,

Restore Default Settings
This returns all values in the Setup menu and the playback
menu, except for “Remote Control Code”, “On-screen
Language”, “IP Address/DNS Settings”, “Proxy Server
Settings”, “Lock” [BD65] [BD655], “DVD-Video Ratings” and
“BD-Video Ratings” to the default settings.
post #660 of 1886 Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

sorry - i might have misunderstood - I was answering your question about how to reset the player. you might have meant something else ??
to me "reset" on electronics like a BR player means defaulting to factory settings.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page