Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

He was being facetious. I think.

Right. Sorry, I did not mean to start a cables discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1882 Old 09-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can the 65 force 24p for blu-ray? I have a HDMI 1.2 receiver that requires that I force it. Thanks.
post #723 of 1882 Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Hello

I just got home with my brand new Panasonic DMP-BD65, turned it on, updated to the 1.27 firmware and I can't see any reference to Amazon VOD on the Viera Cast screens - am I missing something? Did Panasonic remove it? I got this player hoping at least Amazon VOD would work to stream videos outside US (I already knew Netflix would not work)...

Regards,
Dan
post #724 of 1882 Old 09-18-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradss View Post

Can the 65 force 24p for blu-ray? I have a HDMI 1.2 receiver that requires that I force it. Thanks.

Yes, it's a menu setting. Also, you can choose 24p for standard DVD's. BUT, you have to set it for every DVD.
post #725 of 1882 Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Yes, it's a menu setting. Also, you can choose 24p for standard DVD's. BUT, you have to set it for every DVD.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
post #726 of 1882 Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
ok the netflix button suddenly vanished from my bd65's viera cast screen.
can someone check theirs and see if it's showing up?
post #727 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

It is there on mine and working correctly, however last night I wasn't able to stream anything from Netflix. I kept getting a screen that said "Sorry, this title not available to stream at this time. Please choose another title or try again later" After some troubleshooting I unplugged the power from the BD65 and restarted. The problem was fixed. It appears that the BD65 holds some information in a buffer, it had to recheck my internet connection speed. You might try a restart.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #728 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 AM

a few people from Pioneer thread replying to my message that Pioneer BDP-320 has better DVD quality from BD65, is this true? I almost pulled the trigger on BD65, but this is making it harder to decide.
post #729 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Well I checked mine and its still there and working.
post #730 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys..
Just turned the player off and on again, and everything's back to normal with Netflix streaming...watched 1 episode of Lost with no problems...

I think my lame 3 mbps DSL speed might contribute to a glitch like this, too...really need to upgrade to 10 mbps or so...

Our ISP (Embarq) has merged (or bought by?) Centurty Link and i need to see what they offer as upgrade packages...hope it won't drive up the cost too much.
post #731 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

a few people from Pioneer thread replying to my message that Pioneer BDP-320 has better DVD quality from BD65, is this true? I almost pulled the trigger on BD65, but this is making it harder to decide.

neighbor has the Pioneer 320 and i did a side by side comparison with the BD60 (not 65)...I used my TV for both, and I thought BD60 was either better or the same as the Pioneer...(I am sure BD65 will be the same)
post #732 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just got a DMP-BD655 from Costco, which appears to be the sister to the BD65. Even has the same owners manual.

I connected to my Sony 720p HDTV using HDMI. Whether I select Auto or 720p for the player’s HDMI Resolution I get a letterboxed image when playing a 2.35:1 regular DVD. It is the floating postage stamp picture with black all around. I have to “Zoom” on my TV in order to get the proper image with the small letterbox bars since it is a 2.35 movie.

If I play a 16:9 DVD the TV automatically changes to the Zoom setting.

When I play either DVD on my standard Panasonic player it automatically sets the TV to Zoom.

If the BD655 is really outputting a 720p signal then the TV should not have to be set to Zoom. It should display properly at the normal “Full” mode just like when I watch a 720p broadcast program. Or so I would think.

Is there some other setting that needs to be changed?
post #733 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

where have you set the "video" mode to? for my tv (1080p TV) I have set the "video" mode on the BD65 to "16:9", and everything I see is on normal, full mode...try that and see what happens...
you can also try setting the BD65 to "16:9 FULL" ...play with the settings and see....

My Samsung TV is set to "Just scan" mode, btw.
post #734 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I just got a DMP-BD655 from Costco, which appears to be the sister to the BD65. Even has the same owners manual.

I connected to my Sony 720p HDTV using HDMI. Whether I select Auto or 720p for the player's HDMI Resolution I get a letterboxed image when playing a 2.35:1 regular DVD. It is the floating postage stamp picture with black all around. I have to Zoom on my TV in order to get the proper image with the small letterbox bars since it is a 2.35 movie.

If I play a 16:9 DVD the TV automatically changes to the Zoom setting.

When I play either DVD on my standard Panasonic player it automatically sets the TV to Zoom.

If the BD655 is really outputting a 720p signal then the TV should not have to be set to Zoom. It should display properly at the normal Full mode just like when I watch a 720p broadcast program. Or so I would think.

Is there some other setting that needs to be changed?

Do blu-ray movies retain correct OAR?

Are these old or newer release DVDs that are giving you this issue?

What picture mode is you tv set to for the player input?
16:9, zoom, auto, 4:3 ?

Force the player to 720p or 1080i and see if you get different results.

post #735 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74 View Post

Hello

I just got home with my brand new Panasonic DMP-BD65, turned it on, updated to the 1.27 firmware and I can't see any reference to Amazon VOD on the Viera Cast screens - am I missing something? Did Panasonic remove it? I got this player hoping at least Amazon VOD would work to stream videos outside US (I already knew Netflix would not work)...

Regards,
Dan

I have the same fw and just used amazon vod last night.
Netflix is also available on my menus.

*Don't forget that you can have multiple pages/screens of menu choices.

post #736 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Hmmm... I'm even more confused now
Could it be that the icon doesn't show at all if you're outside US? I can't think of anything else. But Pandora's icon shows anyway, with the mention "Pandora is not available in your country"... I would have expected at least a similar behavior for the Amazon VOD icon. BTW, I know there are 3 screens ("levels") in Viera Cast, but I still couldn't locate it - can you tell where you found yours? Thanks!

Regards,
Dan
post #737 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I have the same fw and just used amazon vod last night.
Netflix is also available on my menus.

*Don't forget that you can have multiple pages/screens of menu choices.

I think Dan is outside the USA. That might be the problem.
EDIT - oops i just saw Dan has responded.
post #738 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else here have any problems with their 65 and BD-Live on T2: Skynet Edition?
This player is one of the few that seems to load the title within a tolerable time frame (slow, but tolerable) and play through without a hitch.
However, when trying to download some of the BD-live bonus materials (there are over 3-gigs of original featurettes and trailers available via BD-Live... good stuff) the download commences, writest to the SD-card (it displays the space available and you can see it decrease during the download process) and then "fails" once the download has been completed. An error message pop up indicating that the download failed and reminds you not to remove your memory device during the download process (although it is clear that all the date was downloaded to your local storage successfully,) The bonus feature does not appear in the downloads menu and cannot be accessed from the disc.
Anyone else have the same problems? Any solutions?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #739 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post

Anyone else here have any problems with their 65 and BD-Live on T2: Skynet Edition?
This player is one of the few that seems to load the title within a tolerable time frame (slow, but tolerable) and play through without a hitch.
However, when trying to download some of the BD-live bonus materials (there are over 3-gigs of original featurettes and trailers available via BD-Live... good stuff) the download commences, writest to the SD-card (it displays the space available and you can see it decrease during the download process) and then "fails" once the download has been completed. An error message pop up indicating that the download failed and reminds you not to remove your memory device during the download process (although it is clear that all the date was downloaded to your local storage successfully,) The bonus feature does not appear in the downloads menu and cannot be accessed from the disc.
Anyone else have the same problems? Any solutions?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

It may help to get into the SD Card Management functions and either do the BD-Video Data Erase or Format SD Card operations. That's helped me alot when BD's start acting up on load. While you're there you can also check the amount of free space you have on the card.
post #740 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

dasher123 and 42Plasmaman -

I have the BD655 set to "16:9" and 720p.

I tried several standard 16:9 and 2.35:1 DVDs and the TV always indicates Full mode & 720p.

So far the problem seems to occur with only one 2.35:1 DVD, True Lies, which displays the floating letterbox image and the TV still indicates Full mode and 720p. I need to change the TV to Zoom mode in order to get the proper full width and 2.35 ratio. If I set the TV to "16:9 FULL" the floating letterbox gets stretched full width, but the height remains shortened.

So I guess it’s a quirk with True Lies. But does that mean all of the black (top, bottom, left & right) is part of the 720p image? IOW pixels are wasted on all that black? I also tried 480p & 1080i with the same results.

FWIW, the main menu displays full 16:9. The 20th Century Fox logo at the start of the movie comes on at 4:3 and then shrinks & disappears.

If True Lies is played on my standard DVD player it displays properly with the TV in Full mode.

I just connected the BD655 yesterday and have only tried a few standard DVDs so far.
post #741 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

According to IMDB, the True Lies DVD is just widescreen, it isn't anamorphic so it will play like a 4:3 DVD, with side pillars until you put the player into 16:9 Full mode or change the aspect of the player to zoom.
post #742 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

According to IMDB, the True Lies DVD is just widescreen, it isn't anamorphic so it will play like a 4:3 DVD, with side pillars until you put the player into 16:9 Full mode or change the aspect of the player to zoom.

Correct, the True Lies THX DVD is letterboxed. The disc is properly flagged as "widescreen" so some players, such as my Sony BDP-N460, will automatically "zoom" in on the letter boxed content. Others, such as the Panasonic, will not and you will have to set the aspect ratio to "zoom" from the sub-menu.

post #743 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It may help to get into the SD Card Management functions and either do the BD-Video Data Erase or Format SD Card operations. That's helped me alot when BD's start acting up on load. While you're there you can also check the amount of free space you have on the card.

Moxie,
This worked...
Thank you very much!

post #744 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I think Dan is outside the USA. That might be the problem

Yeap, I just tried streaming from Amazon VOD to my laptop and I received an error saying that it is only available within US... my bad for rushing to buy without doing my homework before

Anyway, can anybody bother to give a decent explanation why they restrict the service to US-only...?
post #745 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeap, I just tried streaming from Amazon VOD to my laptop and I received an error saying that it is only available within US... my bad for rushing to buy without doing my homework before

Anyway, can anybody bother to give a decent explanation why they restrict the service to US-only...?

Rights issues for one...
Studios are very restrictive of where & when their content is distributed. Just as there are region restrictions on DVDs & Blu-Ray, expect to see something similar with streaming content.
Secondly though, Amazon VoD is stil technically a BETA. It is possible that we may see it expand to other regions as it matures and exits its current state.

post #746 of 1882 Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM

I know that but it still doesn't make a lot of sense... The player manufacturer & its seller, Amazon VOD and the movie studio all get their money the same way even when I'm outside US... so where's the problem? I think movie studios are like dinosaurs... they're soon in for a big shock

Anyway, enough with the off-topic rant
post #747 of 1882 Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post

Correct, the True Lies THX DVD is letterboxed. The disc is properly flagged as "widescreen" so some players, such as my Sony BDP-N460, will automatically "zoom" in on the letter boxed content. Others, such as the Panasonic, will not and you will have to set the aspect ratio to "zoom" from the sub-menu.

That must be what is happening. I have 2 Panasonic DVD recorder/players & they both automatically play back True Lies in proper 2.35:1. They set the TV to Zoom mode, not Full mode as when playing other widescreen DVDs.

However the BD655 does not automatically set the TV to Zoom. No big deal. It just happened that True Lies was the first DVD I played in the BD655 and therefore I thought there was something wrong with unit. Glad to know it's working properly.

Thanks for all the information.
post #748 of 1882 Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I know that but it still doesn't make a lot of sense... The player manufacturer & its seller, Amazon VOD and the movie studio all get their money the same way even when I'm outside US... so where's the problem? I think movie studios are like dinosaurs... they're soon in for a big shock

Anyway, enough with the off-topic rant

Yes, but they distribute things post appearance in local movie theaters, and some things that are already out of theaters here are just opening elsewhere. This is less of an issue than it used to be, but I do a lot of international travel and it is pretty common to see a movie "opening" that you saw two or three months ago in the U.S. I assume that eventually you will be able to stream everywhere via netflix or Amazon, etc. but that particular titles may not be available in some places.
post #749 of 1882 Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

I assume that eventually you will be able to stream everywhere via netflix or Amazon, etc. but that particular titles may not be available in some places.

Agreed. It seems like that, while in its "Beta" stage, they are concentrating on perfecting (or at least improving) the service in one market before further complicating matter by launching it in many more.

post #750 of 1882 Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

For those looking at the 65, check the deals sticky.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19221788
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page