Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1874 Old 03-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the dmp-db60k before and used that with no issues. I exchanged that for the bd65 because it has netflix. The unit works great except that half the time when i turn it on, it makes the TV screen flicker white while the TV display status goes 1080i to 1080p and back and forth, i have to power off the dvd player and or tv to get the dvd home screen. Again, the 60k did NOT do this at all. I also have a PS3 with no issues I exchanged 65k for a new one and the new one does the same thing. When the dvd player first come on you see the dvd home page where the tv says 480p, then it makes the screen flicker white as it goes from 1080i to 1080p and back again, I have also tried different HDMI cables from monoprice all 1.3a and have the same issues just with the 65k, not the ps3 or the 60. Any help with be much appreciated. I have s sharp lc60e77u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1874 Old 03-13-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a question about the subtitle feature in this player. Once you turn it on, does it stay on permanently, or you have to go into the menu and turn it on again everytime you play another DVD?
post #93 of 1874 Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Light Fluctuations:
I'm 58 years old but still have great eyesight (thank you lord) with glasses. I'm a pretty critical viewer and I haven't noticed any light fluctuations on regular dvd's...yet. I'm watching on a 12 foot wide screen and a 46" Samsung LCD. If my perceptions change about this I'll post again.

Heat:
What I have noticed is how incredibly HOT this player gets. Lift the unit after playing for awhile and feel the bottom of the player especially in the middle around what looks like a heat sink. Almost hot enough to say 'ouch'. I don't think there's a fan either. I've put a laptop cooler under it and it's much cooler, although I don't have a thermometer to be scientific. However, I can't help but believe that excess heat without the cooler isn't up to any good.

Netflix:
Netflix streaming is great. I had an Insignia (made by Samsung I'm pretty sure) with WIFI and I was getting buffering every five minutes; but only 2 or 3 times when using my computer. I only have 256K Internet. So far the Panny hasn't had the buffering issues. But it might be some change in the Netflix server because it used to take 5 minutes to load a movie and now its less than 1 minute...or else my Internet provider has upgraded me at no charge; yeah, sure. (edit: I just checked my download speed and its .91Mps. Maybe they did upgrade me...guess I'd better check my next bill.)

I feel blessed...I had a Samsung 1400 and Samsung 1500 both under Square Trade warranties. Both units went the way of the do-do bird within a couple of months of each other. Square Trade refunded the $117 for the 1500 and $220 for the 1400. With all the many issues of non-playback, dropout audio, etc...I'll never buy Samsung blurays again. Unfortunately, I still have a second 1400 not covered under a warranty that I wouldn't sell to my worst enemy...well maybe if the price was right.

Thanks to all for your help over the years.
post #94 of 1874 Old 03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by futyb View Post

I had the dmp-db60k before and used that with no issues. I exchanged that for the bd65 because it has netflix. The unit works great except that half the time when i turn it on, it makes the TV screen flicker white while the TV display status goes 1080i to 1080p and back and forth, i have to power off the dvd player and or tv to get the dvd home screen. Again, the 60k did NOT do this at all. I also have a PS3 with no issues I exchanged 65k for a new one and the new one does the same thing. When the dvd player first come on you see the dvd home page where the tv says 480p, then it makes the screen flicker white as it goes from 1080i to 1080p and back again, I have also tried different HDMI cables from monoprice all 1.3a and have the same issues just with the 65k, not the ps3 or the 60. Any help with be much appreciated. I have s sharp lc60e77u

Instead of letting the bd65 auto detect the display/resolution, I believe you can force it to a specific resolution.
Give that a try.

btw:
I have a BD30 & HD-A20 and I've observed the white screen flicker on my Samsung 630 HDTV IF I switch to the HDMI input WHILE the player is booting.
If I switch to HDMI and then turn on the player, I don't see this white screen flicker. Could be a handshaking issue if the TV and player aren't powered up in a certain sequence.

post #95 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocaje View Post

Netflix:
Netflix streaming is great. I had an Insignia (made by Samsung I'm pretty sure) with WIFI and I was getting buffering every five minutes; but only 2 or 3 times when using my computer. I only have 256K Internet. So far the Panny hasn't had the buffering issues. But it might be some change in the Netflix server because it used to take 5 minutes to load a movie and now its less than 1 minute...or else my Internet provider has upgraded me at no charge; yeah, sure. (edit: I just checked my download speed and its .91Mps. Maybe they did upgrade me...guess I'd better check my next bill.)

No one talks about netflix streaming audio (only video). Lets not forget, blu-ray allows for lossless audio. Netflix does not. And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that many times streaming netflix films are in stereo only, not even basic DD 5.1 with streaming via netflix. So until that is changed, why bother? Half of the fun of films is the sound.

Why do we have home theaters with surround speakers, if we are not going to care about audio as well?
post #96 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

No one talks about netflix streaming audio (only video). Lets not forget, blu-ray allows for lossless audio. Netflix does not. And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that many times streaming netflix films are in stereo only, not even basic DD 5.1 with streaming via netflix. So until that is changed, why bother? Half of the fun of films is the sound.

Why do we have home theaters with surround speakers, if we are not going to care about audio as well?

If you want 5.1 you can use Amazon VOD but for the majority of people the convenience of choosing from 17,000+ titles from Netflix trumps 5.1. I don't need every movie 5.1 especially if it's an old movie recorded in mono.
post #97 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

^^^^Hey! Moviegeek, fancy seeing you here....it's me budz from videohelp.com....do you own this BD65? I've been looking for another bd player for the bedroom that can do streaming from Netflix. What's your take on this BD65 unit vs the insignia model NS-BRDVD3 from BB?
post #98 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_budz View Post

^^^^Hey! Moviegeek, fancy seeing you here....it's me budz from videohelp.com....do you own this BD65? I've been looking for another bd player for the bedroom that can do streaming from Netflix. What's your take on this BD65 unit vs the insignia model NS-BRDVD3 from BB?

Hey budz...I hang out here sometimes with edDV
I owned the BD65 for a few days but I took it back for the BD85, the BD85 has built-in wireless and supports more formats on USB/SD.
Some people are reporting brightness fluctuations on the BD65.
post #99 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

My understanding is you cannot use a dongle other than the one they make. Won't work.

The Panasonic does not support playing files over the network, and probably never will with this player.

I'm pretty sure mkv files are incompatible with the 65 / 85, but not 100% sure.

Panasonic says no other dongrel will work but have not tried anything. Other option is some type of Ethernet to wireless bridge. That would free up the USB port for connection of a USB drive that should allow playback of video, etc from that. I think there is a 120 GB size limit on those. The 85 supports DivX but I don't think the 65 does.

US version of the 85 does not but I ran across the UK version docs and the model for sale there does support DLNA. But not the UK version of the 65.

The manual does not mention mkv files, but a little research shows converters that will do mkv to supported formats are available. I don't know enough about these different formats to discuss further, but it looks as if there are legal sources for DivX format movies, etc out there. So, I assume if I purchase one and load it to a USB or SDHC drive with the correct directory layout, I could play movies this way instead of buying the retail disk or renting to play. I'll have to do more research to know what I can really do.

Bill
post #100 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are there any pro reviews of the BD65 yet? Any Sam's Club employees out there know if Sam's will be selling it? Thanks.
post #101 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Does this unit come with its own dongle to hook into your wifi network?
post #102 of 1874 Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Hey budz...I hang out here sometimes with edDV
I owned the BD65 for a few days but I took it back for the BD85, the BD85 has built-in wireless and supports more formats on USB/SD.
Some people are reporting brightness fluctuations on the BD65.

Yuh, I read about the brightness fluctuations in the thread. Good to see you in here. I'll have to check out that BD85. Thanks!
post #103 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

No, you will have to buy that separately. And according to Panasonic, only their model will work on the player. Since it costs $100, it's actually cheaper to buy the BD85 (which includes the wi-fi dongle).
post #104 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

If you want 5.1 you can use Amazon VOD but for the majority of people the convenience of choosing from 17,000+ titles from Netflix trumps 5.1. I don't need every movie 5.1 especially if it's an old movie recorded in mono.

Attitudes like that will lead to less than 1080p and less than lossless audio as the prevailing norm. Bad bad bad. Consumers shoudl insist on only the best. New releases are where its at for many -- and without lossless 5.1, you are missing out. I can see the future now -- streaming audio and video -- at 720p and stereo. Thanks guys.
post #105 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

If you want wireless, you do have to buy the Panasonic dongle (I've seen them online for ~ $99). The DMP-BD85 does come with the dongle and if you shop around it is cheaper to buy the 85 if you need wireless. One other thing to consider is that the dongle attaches to the back of the 85, out of sight. If you use the dongle on the 65 you have to open the front door on the unit and attach it to the USB port, at least that's what it shows in the 45/65/655 manual online. I own the 85 and haven't looked that close at the 65 to verify this, but it would probably stick out of the front of the player about two inches.
post #106 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
briefly described on page 17 of linked manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD45-MUL.PDF

Has anyone gotten this feature to work on a dvd or blu ray disc?

When i click on it, nothing happens unless there a secondary command I am missing.

Thanks.
post #107 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my ethernet port connected and everything is working normally on the Network/Internet screen.
Watched the Boondock Saints II and noticed a single pop up when the movie started that the player had an error connecting to the Network for BD Live.
No big dial.

Yesterday I watched 9(CGI movie) and when the disk was booting and when watching the movie, about every minute or two, the pop up occured.
I have BD Live set to "Prohibit" in my settings and also turned off Status messages.
I could not get the pop up warning to stop until I unplugged the network cable from the player.
It's as if the movie/player was continuously polling the network port to connect to the Internet even though my setting is "Prohibit" for BD Live. The movie continued to check for a connection since the player must know it has an Internet connection but the BD Live is blocked(Prohibit).

post #108 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

NetFlix currently only streams 2.0 audio on all titles, but they have indicated that 5.1 audio streaming will be coming in late 2010.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #109 of 1874 Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Attitudes like that will lead to less than 1080p and less than lossless audio as the prevailing norm. Bad bad bad. Consumers shoudl insist on only the best. New releases are where its at for many -- and without lossless 5.1, you are missing out. I can see the future now -- streaming audio and video -- at 720p and stereo. Thanks guys.

As a tech director and college graduate with an audio degree, I understand your point.

As a husband and a father with a busy life, I love the flexibility and options that Netflix affords my family.

tim
(P.S. Most of my music on my iPod is imported as Apple lossless
post #110 of 1874 Old 03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

briefly described on page 17 of linked manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD45-MUL.PDF

Has anyone gotten this feature to work on a dvd or blu ray disc?

When i click on it, nothing happens unless there a secondary command I am missing.

Thanks.

anyone? bueler?
post #111 of 1874 Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Any idea what firmware update V1.14 does?

Things are never so bad they can't get worse!

REB
post #112 of 1874 Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenson View Post

Any idea what firmware update V1.14 does?

From the Panasonic website:

Update Information for DMP-BD65Model Number DMP-BD65P/PC/PX, DMP-BD655P
Update Version Ver 1.14
Update File Name / Size North America/Latin America
UPDATE_BD65P_V114.exe / 40,789,504 bytes

Update Date 2010/03/16 (Firmware update via network : 2010/03/16)
Improvements
Date/Version Description
2010/3/16
Ver 1.14
BD disc playability improvement
Wireless network performance improvement

I installed firmware last night (since I'm still within my 30 day return period). Firmware installed fine. Did not notice anything different. Never had any BD playability problems or wireless networking in the past though. Maybe the wireless fix relates to performance with their dongle that they sell separately. I am using a bridge and that has worked OK with original firmware (1.04).

Keith
post #113 of 1874 Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this fix the light fluctuations for those that have seen them?
post #114 of 1874 Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

See my earlier posts. I originally thought I saw light fluctuations on one older DVD. It turns out what I was seeing was in the transfer of the film (verified on 2 other players). Since then I have watched about 10 DVD's completely and sampled others and cannot see any problem with light or brightness fluctuations. I did watch an older DVD last night after downloading the firmware and it looked fine.

Keith
post #115 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Matt, it may be a placebo effect, but i have not noticed them since the most recent fw update. I need to re-run the offending discs of six feet under to be certain.
post #116 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I got my ethernet port connected and everything is working normally on the Network/Internet screen.
Watched the Boondock Saints II and noticed a single pop up when the movie started that the player had an error connecting to the Network for BD Live.
No big dial.

Yesterday I watched 9(CGI movie) and when the disk was booting and when watching the movie, about every minute or two, the pop up occured.
I have BD Live set to "Prohibit" in my settings and also turned off Status messages.
I could not get the pop up warning to stop until I unplugged the network cable from the player.
It's as if the movie/player was continuously polling the network port to connect to the Internet even though my setting is "Prohibit" for BD Live. The movie continued to check for a connection since the player must know it has an Internet connection but the BD Live is blocked(Prohibit).

Do not use 'Prohibit' setting for BD Live. If you don't like BDLive, you have to unplug the network. Otherwise, you will be forced to see popup messages all over the place. This has been this way since BD60. Personally, I don't see any reason why Panasonic both to put in such setting in there if you can't disable and tell it to shut up.
post #117 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM

I have a question, if i only care about PQ, SQ and most important of all, DVD Upconversion, which is a better option?, the Panasonic DMP-BD65 or the Pioneer BDP-320, i really don´t care the load times on the Pioneer if it has a better upconversion, it seems like some people around here have both players.

Thanks.
post #118 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Do not use 'Prohibit' setting for BD Live. If you don't like BDLive, you have to unplug the network. Otherwise, you will be forced to see popup messages all over the place. This has been this way since BD60. Personally, I don't see any reason why Panasonic both to put in such setting in there if you can't disable and tell it to shut up.

Thanks for the info.
So it appears the Prohibit setting just blocks BD live but the disc still senses there is a network connection but can not get access.

post #119 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post

I have a question, if i only care about PQ, SQ and most important of all, DVD Upconversion, which is a better option?, the Panasonic DMP-BD65 or the Pioneer BDP-320, i really don´t care the load times on the Pioneer if it has a better upconversion, it seems like some people around here have both players.

Thanks.

Juan, in all due respect to the 65, which i score as an 8 for dvd, the pioneer renders a better dvd image. please consult my website: www.winstonsreviews.com
post #120 of 1874 Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Juan, in all due respect to the 65, which i score as an 8 for dvd, the pioneer renders a better dvd image. please consult my website: www.winstonsreviews.com

agreed!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page