Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1874 Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh, and I should add, in the past I have had a BD-80(sold on BB trade in. Nice service, Went very smooth, but took about 3 1/2 weeks to get Gift Card for BD-80), and a Sony N460 connected the very same way, with the same equipment/setup.

NEITHER one of those EVER had issues that the Viera Cast is now experiencing on my BD-65. They were both champs. And the Sony N460, which I still have, menu/widgets still work just fine, with no problems.

So this is something in Panasonic's realm as far as where the problem lies. Or the Viera Cast connection. A irmware update needs to be released, if possible, to fix this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1874 Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank You, Hobbit, for your reply!!

I have been suspecting ACSS (AACS?) encryption (a lack thereof) as the problem, just as you have told me.

Panasonic asked for some additional information this AM. Now to await their reply to see what they have to say.

I haven't heard back yet from Pinnacle (Avid).

I'll let the group know what I get back from Panasonic and Pinnacle (Avid).

Thanks again!
post #1413 of 1874 Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I thought I might be the only one experiencing this with the Viera Cast, but I am glad too see I am not the only one.

Well, this makes me feel better, somewhat. I didn't see if you were having any issues with any applications (Netflix, CinemaNow...) if and when you get into them. Were you having any issues or has anything changed with that over the last firmware updates?
Thanks.
post #1414 of 1874 Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by who me? View Post

Well, this makes me feel better, somewhat. I didn't see if you were having any issues with any applications (Netflix, CinemaNow...) if and when you get into them. Were you having any issues or has anything changed with that over the last firmware updates?
Thanks.

If you mean, "Do I have issues with the apps after I highlight and click on them?", then the answer would be NO.

I have more than enough Bandwidth from my Broadband so that I don't experience any buffering issues either.

And my Blu-Ray playback has been good as well. No problems there.
post #1415 of 1874 Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 AM

I had an interesting problem when watching a bd last night. I pressed the stop button and the screen turned to black and just sat there for a few seconds. There was a weird noise that came from the machine too.

Usually when I press the stop button it goes back to the regular blue Panasonic screen pretty quickly. This time it was really weird and not typical. I think my brother might have had the same problem when he was playing a dvd earlier in the night too.

I'm going to test out more dvds and blurays to see if this is an isolated incident or not.

Any suggestions or theories here?

BTW, the bluray was Lost in Translation in case anyone was wondering.
post #1416 of 1874 Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 AM

I am experiencing greenish blue vertical lines on the right hand side of the screen of my Panasonic 50" G25 when watching Season 3 Episode 1 of "The Wire" DVD on my BD65. I am trying to figure out if this is a problem such as IR or Burn in or is it from the upconverting on the BD. These lines are driving me crazy...they mostly go away when I use the TV in zoom mode. Is anyone else experiencing this? Possibly someone else can watch this episode and tell me if they see it?

Thank you!
post #1417 of 1874 Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM

Picked up the Panasonic BD65 this past Christmas and I updated the firmware right away to 1.56. Up until the last two movies ( Eagle Eye and Knight and Day, both from Netflix ) the unit has been fine. Each of those movies I receive the error code " Disc is not compatible for playback ". The first movie, I just chalked it up to a bad disc, but two in a row ?

I put in a copy of Wall-E and have no issues at all. Thought maybe when the firmware updated something got corrupt, but I would think it would affect all movies. Also put both those movies in my computer through PowerDVD and they played back without issue.

Any idea where I should go from here ? Warranty ?

Thanks

Tim
post #1418 of 1874 Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Bump

Would love some help!
post #1419 of 1874 Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post

Picked up the Panasonic BD65 this past Christmas and I updated the firmware right away to 1.56. Up until the last two movies ( Eagle Eye and Knight and Day, both from Netflix ) the unit has been fine. Each of those movies I receive the error code " Disc is not compatible for playback ". The first movie, I just chalked it up to a bad disc, but two in a row ?

I put in a copy of Wall-E and have no issues at all. Thought maybe when the firmware updated something got corrupt, but I would think it would affect all movies. Also put both those movies in my computer through PowerDVD and they played back without issue.

Any idea where I should go from here ? Warranty ?

Thanks

Tim

I've found with disc by mail services, sometimes the post office is a little rough with them. I got Monty Python Almost The Truth The Lawyer's Cut and both discs were ever so slightly cracked just inside the hub. They wouldn't play in my BD65, or Sony 570 players, but would play in my PS3. Do a close inspection for physical damage to the discs, try a few more discs, and if it's acting up regularly, I'd start to look at the player.
post #1420 of 1874 Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Has anyone else ever had my green line problem?
post #1421 of 1874 Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Hi,
I'm getting this blu ray soon but have a question about hooking it up to my netgear wireless router. The manual for the blu ray mentions hooking this up using the WPA setting but my router is setup as WEP. All of our computers are using this setting. So do I need to change the setting to WPA for the blu ray to setup and if I do what happens to my computers that are using the WEP setting. I think I have a headache now, lol.

Thanks in advance.
post #1422 of 1874 Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm going to continue dialogue in hopes that someone is out there reading...

I am noticing issues with most DVD's playing on the BD65. The green lines I saw in the wire are still noticeable. While watching Boiler Room I'm seeing faint dark vertical rectangles on the sides. Beetlejuice shows extreme noise & artifacts.

Is anyone else having such bad upconversion with this player?

I'm thinking I'm going to return it tomorrow and get something else, but I don't know what to get!

Any help is appreciated
post #1423 of 1874 Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicles987 View Post

I am noticing issues with most DVD's playing on the BD65. The green lines I saw in the wire are still noticeable. While watching Boiler Room I'm seeing faint dark vertical rectangles on the sides. Beetlejuice shows extreme noise & artifacts.

I'm thinking I'm going to return it tomorrow and get something else, but I don't know what to get!

Any help is appreciated

I wish I could help. This is the only DVD player I have ever owned.

I have never seen lines or blocking when it is up-converting. Up-converting will never be perfect, and a more expensive player might do a better job.

I like my BD65 player, and for the price I think it was a good decision to buy.
post #1424 of 1874 Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Does anyone know if .avi (Xvid) files can be played off a SD Card on the BD65? I heard it was possible on the BD85.
post #1425 of 1874 Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The 65 can't play any video files off SD. The similarly priced Insignia NS-BRDVD3 or 4 can play them from USB or disc, as well as LG.
post #1426 of 1874 Old 02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Any help is appreciated

Just hooked this unit up for my sister and it is playing everything perfectly on a Panasonic 46" plasma. Before heading back to the store, you don't say but is the unit connected directly to your display? If it is, maybe try another HDMI cable. Green screens or lines have always been mentioned as HDMI handshake issues. The cable may have a bent pin or just nor seating tight enough. I buy all my HDMI cables from Monoprice and all have worked from day one (and they are super affordable). If you are running the video into an receiver or pre/pro try running the HDMI cable directly from the 65 to the display and see what that does for the PQ. You also don't say what display type your are using since that could make a difference on how to set up the 65. The 65 has a 24fps feature that is set to off by default normally but if you have it turned on and don't have a display that supports it, it may be causing problems during upconversion. Also, check you firmware to see if it 's up to date. Here is a link to the latest as of 12-15-10.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...el.DMP-BD65K.D
Hope this may help.

post #1427 of 1874 Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM

I can't get youtube to work today on my 65. Works fine on my computers. Anyone else having problems with youtube?
post #1428 of 1874 Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Well, I have done all the troubleshooting that I can and I am STILL not able to connect to any video streaming services after getting through the Viera menus (that take forever to load) on the player. Even though all the suggestions from this forum have been good, nothing has worked so far.
SO, I am going to call Panasonic. For those who have called, is it a good idea to have the player up and running when I call them? Also, what has your success rate been. I am so frustrated with the streaming aspect, which is why I bought a BD player in the first place, that I am about to throw it out the window..
post #1429 of 1874 Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The 65 can't play any video files off SD. The similarly priced Insignia NS-BRDVD3 or 4 can play them from USB or disc, as well as LG.

Not true, I can play HD video on the SD card right out of my Sony Handycam. Can't remember what file type they are but they play just fine.
post #1430 of 1874 Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Have you tried calling Panasonic support?
post #1431 of 1874 Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinMN View Post

Not true, I can play HD video on the SD card right out of my Sony Handycam. Can't remember what file type they are but they play just fine.

My mistake. You can play AVCHD from SD card or disk, but no avi, wmv, mkv, etc.
post #1432 of 1874 Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrod View Post

I can't get youtube to work today on my 65. Works fine on my computers. Anyone else having problems with youtube?

I too have lost Youtube on both the TV and My Panasonic Blue ray 65.
Error:bad content

Looking for a fix - anyone any ideas?
post #1433 of 1874 Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Well, after calling Panasonic 4 times (got cut off at the panasonic end 3 times after incorrect transfers to the wrong departments) I finally got through to a service person. After they instructed me to do a factory reset (which I had done 3 times already) and still had the same symptoms, even after inserting a SD card to see if that would help (it didn't), they told me to either send it to Panasonic under warranty or exchange it for another unit where I bought it. I kind of wish I would have done that a while ago.
I don't know about anyone else but that Panasonic talking computer STINKS. Almost all of my responses to their automated questions were not recognized. Come on, you mean blue ray and BD65 are not recognized? Even when I got a real person on the line and told them it was a blu ray video player, I got transferred to the camera division one time and to a non-video section another time. Needless to say my survey to them was not stellar. I hope others have not had a bad experience like I had.
I hope my next player performs better than this one as I do like the the video output of the player a LOT and don't really want to get another brand.
post #1434 of 1874 Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Ok, new player, same problem. :-(
Still having problems connecting to the viera cast. Even though i can pass the easy newtork connections, viera cast does not connect. Are there times when the panasonic website that hosts some of the viera cast that requires a network connection?

I am really at a loss here.

Would appreciate any help. Please.
post #1435 of 1874 Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by busycharlie View Post

Hi,
I'm getting this blu ray soon but have a question about hooking it up to my netgear wireless router. The manual for the blu ray mentions hooking this up using the WPA setting but my router is setup as WEP. All of our computers are using this setting. So do I need to change the setting to WPA for the blu ray to setup and if I do what happens to my computers that are using the WEP setting. I think I have a headache now, lol.

Thanks in advance.

I have my BD65 + DISH DVR plugged into a DLINK Switch, which in turn is plugged into a DLINK WAP via Ethernet cable. I have the DLINK WAP set up as a AP Client Mode with a static IP address. The WAP then makes the radio shot to my Linksys WRT54GS Router. I didn't want to spend the money for the expensive Wi-Fi dongle, when I got a new DLINK WAP for less than $30. Already had a cheap (<$10) 5 port 10/100 unmanaged switch and threw it in the mix because the WAP only has one Ethernet port. I have the WAP settings the same as all other network devices on my home network LAN. WEP 128 bit encryption and using the MAC Filter option in the Router.

You should have the option to set WEP in your player's Network Settings. If you change the player to WPA, you'll have to set up the Wireless Security in your Router as WPA as well. This in turn will disable all your WEP enabled devices in your home network, unless you change all those devices to WPA as well. Whatever the Wireless Settings call for in the Router, is what all wireless devices have to be set to match accordingly. If the Router is set to use WEP 64/128, then all devices have to be as well using the same key. If the Router is set to WPA/WPA2 Personal, then all wireless network devices have to be set to match those network settings accordingly.
post #1436 of 1874 Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Liked: 13
Sure am glad I'm hard wired, that wireless stuff has got me confused. I have a friend who's wireless and asks for help, cause I build comps. But I have no idea about it. This guy did not say he was wi-fi did he? Wondering if you helped, cause that's how I learn also.
Who me_ did it help??
post #1437 of 1874 Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbrook View Post

I too have lost Youtube on both the TV and My Panasonic Blue ray 65.
Error:bad content

Looking for a fix - anyone any ideas?

Strangely started working on both BD65 and the Panasonic TV. Looks like a server issue at Pansonic end.
post #1438 of 1874 Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM

I know that the video settings will vary but I am having a hard time getting a great Blu-ray picture with my LED TV (Sharp 810UN).

My Direct TV HD programming looks great on this TV and I would expect blu-rays to at least be equal to that but it isn't.

Can anyone give any advice on the video settings?

Both my Direct TV and BR player's are connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 706 and then a single HDMI to the LED player from the Onkyo receiver.
post #1439 of 1874 Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Hey Merlin. Maybe it's supposed to be that way. I notice a ton of difference between TV/DVD and BD. I think alot of BD's play the cinema version of the movie where the director blurs the screen to direct your attention to the focal point of the scene. I'll notice it during a dialog scene, the background is fuzzy but then they cut to a wide angle shot of the city and I can see termites on the buildings 75 blocks away. I'll watch the same movie on DirecTV or DVD and it's crystal clear the whole movie.

I also notice it alot during Yankee games. The camera will focus in on the pitcher making the batter fuzzy, and then swap to zoom in on the batter while they stare each other down. After the play the camera pans the crowd and I can see how many freckles
the guy in the upper deck has.

All Shows and movies have always done this, but it's much more evident with a BD and a big TV. Try renting a 1080p movie on direcTV. If it acts like your BD player then it's the movie not the player.
post #1440 of 1874 Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just a little background on why the picture just doesn't seem as "clear" or "pop" like I have had in the past:

I previously had the BD60 and a RPTV and the same blu-rays and receiver that I have now and the BR movies seemed to look much better with that combination BUT the Direct TV didn't look nearly as good as it does on my new set.

The blu-ray's just don't seem as clear now where as my Direct TV programming looks amazing so I have to believe it has to do with some settings somehow.

Just curious to get some picture settings from someone else who has an LCD, HDMI connection..ect
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page