Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1874 Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I am getting more frustrated with my BD player/router. I cannot connect up any more. It has been this way the past two times I have tried to link to the web. It fails upon trying to get into VieraCast. I read through most of this thread a long time ago so I cannot remember if anyone had a solution for this.
Was it resetting all the connection settings and running through the connection process again? If someone gets a chance. please let me know.

ALSO, is there a list or consensus of what routers work well with this player?
The two I was looking at so far are the D-link dir655 and the Netgear N-300. From what I have researched, it seems like the D-link is the better router. Any input on this would be helpful too.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1874 Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've got the D-Link 655 and it works good, no problems with Netflix.
post #1533 of 1874 Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by who me? View Post

OK, I am getting more frustrated with my BD player/router. I cannot connect up any more. It has been this way the past two times I have tried to link to the web. It fails upon trying to get into VieraCast. I read through most of this thread a long time ago so I cannot remember if anyone had a solution for this.
Was it resetting all the connection settings and running through the connection process again? If someone gets a chance. please let me know.

ALSO, is there a list or consensus of what routers work well with this player?
The two I was looking at so far are the D-link dir655 and the Netgear N-300. From what I have researched, it seems like the D-link is the better router. Any input on this would be helpful too.
Thanks,
Mike

whome?,

Are you using wireless to get your streaming?

Might I suggest trying to use the Belkin 1000Mbps Poweline adapters found at Best Buy, or online.

I have used these(and the previous versions) for well over 2 years, and they have worked flawlessly for me, and they do beat the hell out of a wireless connection.

Unless you can connect the unit directly to the router, this is the next best thing IMHO.

Now, they don't work for everyone, so keep the receipt and original box for the first 30 days at least, so this gives you a chance to return them.

Also make sure you plug them DIRECTLY into the outlet on each end, and not into a PowerBar, or Surge Protector. If you try to use them this way, they will not work at all.

Just my .02 cents
post #1534 of 1874 Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I use a pair of Linksys WRT160N's - one as a router and one as a bridge using DD-WRT firmware. Got them as refurbs on amazon for $30 each, shipped. Streaming tops out around 6Mbps, so any kind of bridge except 802.11b will be plenty fast.

I've never had a problem connecting any player, including this one.
post #1535 of 1874 Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Jim McC, Thank you for your input, At least I know that combination works with someone else. If I cannot get my player to reconnect, I may have to break down and buy a new router. Which was what I concluded after all the past testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

whome?,
Are you using wireless to get your streaming?

Nope, hardwired Cat 5e Ethernet. My whole house has a Cat 5e architecture with 1 or 2 runs to each room in the house with 10-100 hardware. So, I don't need to stream wireless with the player. I am sure I can do wireless streaming but but prefer the wired solution since that would require extra hardware and a new (more expen$ive BD player).
In the BD player connection, I go from my Cable modem to my WRT54G router to a 8port switch to the BD player. I measure anywhere from 14-21 MBps depending on the time of day. I just did a test and am running a slow 15.72 MBps today. I have tested this by connecting the router directly to the player Ethernet connection with 2 different cables and tested with a laptop several times at the BD connection in the past and get within 99% of the speed of what I see at the router from my home computer. BUT when I test via the player, when I can connect, I see something in the neighborhood of 2.3MBps. and that is the same through the switch or bypassing the switch. All firmware is the latest out there (including the router) and it changed nothing. Because of my connection, I had to download the BD firmware, burn a disc and load it that way because it would not connect/load from the Ethernet. I have been on other forums and no one can figure it out other than to say I have a weird conflict somewhere. Even others with the same player and router seem to do OK.
OH, and BTW, I did exchange the player for the same model at a different store and the results were the same. And, calling Panasonic didn't help either.
Since I thought I remembered seeing something like my situation and someone did something to re-establish the connection, I thought I would ask instead of reading through all 50+ pages of this thread. Not a lot of fun IMO. In the mean time, I will try resetting the box and the internet settings to see what happens. The best I know I will be able to do is what I got before I could not connect.

Any other input will be welcome.

Thanks
post #1536 of 1874 Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Jim McC, Thank you for your input, At least I know that combination works with someone else. If I cannot get my player to reconnect, I may have to break down and buy a new router. Which was what I concluded after all the past testing.

Nope, hardwired Cat 5e Ethernet. My whole house has a Cat 5e architecture with 1 or 2 runs to each room in the house with 10-100 hardware. So, I don't need to stream wireless with the player. I am sure I can do wireless streaming but but prefer the wired solution since that would require extra hardware and a new (more expen$ive BD player).
In the BD player connection, I go from my Cable modem to my WRT54G router to a 8port switch to the BD player. I measure anywhere from 14-21 MBps depending on the time of day. I just did a test and am running a slow 15.72 MBps today. I have tested this by connecting the router directly to the player Ethernet connection with 2 different cables and tested with a laptop several times at the BD connection in the past and get within 99% of the speed of what I see at the router from my home computer. BUT when I test via the player, when I can connect, I see something in the neighborhood of 2.3MBps. and that is the same through the switch or bypassing the switch. All firmware is the latest out there (including the router) and it changed nothing. Because of my connection, I had to download the BD firmware, burn a disc and load it that way because it would not connect/load from the Ethernet. I have been on other forums and no one can figure it out other than to say I have a weird conflict somewhere. Even others with the same player and router seem to do OK.
OH, and BTW, I did exchange the player for the same model at a different store and the results were the same. And, calling Panasonic didn't help either.
Since I thought I remembered seeing something like my situation and someone did something to re-establish the connection, I thought I would ask instead of reading through all 50+ pages of this thread. Not a lot of fun IMO. In the mean time, I will try resetting the box and the internet settings to see what happens. The best I know I will be able to do is what I got before I could not connect.

Any other input will be welcome.

Thanks

Who Me? I know this might sound trivial, but have you tested with different cables from your ethernet jacks/wall? I had a similar issue and I finally found it to be my cables that I was crimping vs a cable I didnt have to crimp. (I found it to be the jacks I bought from menards to somehow cause issues with the player...connecting to laptop was fine and fast...but to player, it wouldnt work, until I changed to a cable I didnt use Menards jacks on)
post #1537 of 1874 Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Kezug, lol, at this point, anything is possible and I am troubleshooting any suggestion.
To answer your question, When I tested the connection at the player, I unplugged the cable from the back of the player and plugged it into the laptop. I left it plugged into the wall. BUT, as I re-read your suggestion, I know I have a pre-made cable around here somewhere and I can try that. That is kind of weird that the plugs that you used made a difference. My whole house is on the same brand of connector as I bought a bulk quantity when I wired the house.

I did some more troubleshooting and found that the connection from my router into the wall socket to the switch was not seated correctly. So I can now connect BUT, I did more troubleshooting. BTW, I can stream Netflix standard def fine at about 75% on the quality meter which is what I always have been able to do since day one when I am connected.

Kezug, from your suggestion, changing from a cable I made to a store bought cable didn't change anything. Speeds were the same.

So, here are my results using Speedtest.net and Vudu's speed test:
Cable Modem-router-Home computer = Speed test shows 27MBps, Vudu shows 10.3MBps. This is my baseline I used.

Cable modem-router-switch-BD Player = Vudu shows - 1.5-2.25MBps, cant do Speed test unfortunately so Vudu is the only test I can do
Cable modem-router-BD player = Vudu showed 2.5-3.25MBps

Cable modem-router-switch-laptop = Speedtest - 21.8MBps, Vudu - 12.2MBps
Cable modem-router-laptop = Speedtest - 24Mbps, Vudu - 11.4MBps

So, from all the above speed tests, I should have PLENTY of bandwidth going to my player. BUT, the player seems to be the issue. Or, like someone else mentioned, there is a weird conflict between the router and the player. From what I have see with other folks that have this player, it is capable of much higher bandwidth speeds as they can stream HD without issues so I know the player can do it.

I guess I need to ask what people are getting when they do a speed test in Vudu on their players.

Jim McC - can you please do a speed test with the Vudu speed test utility and post what you are getting since that router is one I would like to upgrade to anyway?

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Mike
post #1538 of 1874 Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I guess I need to ask what people are getting when they do a speed test in Vudu on their players.

Mike

"9.0 or > Mbps". This is through a Charter Ambit modem connected by ethernet to a WRT56GS with ethernet connection to the BD player. My nominal HSI speed is 18/2, though I've been getting 22/2 from the headend speedtest recently. Hope that helps.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #1539 of 1874 Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
"9.0 or > Mbps". This is through a Charter Ambit modem connected by ethernet to a WRT56GS with ethernet connection to the BD player. My nominal HSI speed is 18/2, though I've been getting 22/2 from the headend speedtest recently. Hope that helps.
Doc, YES!!! That helps a lot and thank you. I knew the player was capable of much more. In my case, I am using Time Warner cable with a subscribed speed of 10/1 but since day one, have been measuring much closer to 20+/1 which may be from their speed booster or not. Even the installer said that in my area, the speeds are quite accurate to what our subscribed speed is. He even made a comment that TWC sometimes gives users a higher tier speed for the first month to give them a 'taste' of what they could have in hopes of them upgrading. In my case, I am not complaining with what I should be getting or what I am getting. It is MUCH faster than my old DSL speeds that were, at best, 50% of what I was paying for. At any rate, my tests show that something is not right. And since I have tried 2 different players, the only thing left is the router. I guess I need to make sure all my configuration settings are noted accurately and look into getting a new router.

Another question, for those that have gotten new routers, I have read that they are easier to set up now with better software. Is this true? Just curious. And, since I will not be doing much if any wireless streaming in the foreseeable future, is it worth getting a dual band router. I know that drives up the cost quite a bit.

Thanks again Doc as that really helped.
post #1540 of 1874 Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Since the BD65 is getting a bit long in tooth as electronics go, is there a follow-on/next generation player in the Panasonic stable? And, if so, is it as good/better/worse than the BD65?
post #1541 of 1874 Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Well, I did, today, I went out and got a D-Link DIR-655. After struggling to see even a couple You Tube videos yesterday that started to load, then started to play and within 10 seconds froze, played a couple seconds froze... so I paused the video for about 20 seconds to see if it would fill the buffer, hit play and the videos went for about 20-30 seconds before freezing again, I got very frustrated.
So I made the trip to my local Fry's and got the new router. I after doing a basic install of the router in my system and computer, I did a Speedtest that started off at 30MBps and then leveled off at 22MBps. Then I did the Vudu test on the computer and averaged just a hair over 10MBps. Not sure why this slowed down from the prevous router but whatever, still plenty fast.
SO, the moment of truth, I then turned on the BD player. Set up the net configuration with the auto detect speed. Then I did the Vudu test, SHOCKER... The test registered >9MBps. WOOHOO!!!! I actually look like I can stream HD video without problems. I then played with Netflix streaming and YouTube videos and everything worked fine too. Even the VIeracast menus seemed to load faster.
Anyone need a Linksys WRT54G wireless router as a doorstop? LOL.
The sad part is except for the Streaming aspect through the BD player, the router works fine for everything else. Including wirelessly streaming to a laptop.

Thanks to all that tried to help me with all the good helpful troubleshooting suggestions. I learned a lot during this exercise but it did end up being some weird conflict between the router and the player. So now with the new router it is fixed. WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1542 of 1874 Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At any rate, my tests show that something is not ........... I guess I need to make sure all my configuration settings are noted accurately and look into getting a new router.

I know this has already been mentioned but is there a chance it is in your wiring? Home made wires, wall plates, network box, etc...

It's easy to get 2 wires crossed when making your own cables and you will still get an intermittent signal. Or have the jacks in the wall plates two wires off. I would at least double check the one you're using for the player and check it against a standard diagram.http://crimsonshift.com/make-cat-5-cable/

Here are a couple of posts I made a while back in regards to this problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=129

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=500

Just a thought anyway...

Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #1543 of 1874 Old 05-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

so now with the new router it is fixed. Weeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ftw!

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #1544 of 1874 Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

I know this has already been mentioned but is there a chance it is in your wiring? Home made wires, wall plates, network box, etc...
Just a thought anyway...

Rob

Rob, Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered a possible wire issue and ruled that out during my initial troubleshooting. With as crappy as my eyes have gotten, I ended up using reading glasses to magnify everything to make sure the wires were in the correct positions. I had done research on this before I started and I decided to wire everything in the 'A' configuration. So, I made several color printouts of that configuration and never printed the 'B' config. So when I wired up the house and cabled everything, I double checked everything several times before doing the final crimp on a connector or socket.

But, as you could see, it was the router change that did it.
Thank you for the reminder to double check the wiring as that would have been a big DOH if I had missed that.
post #1545 of 1874 Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Liked: 11
Just wondering is the vera cast flaky as hell for any one else ?

Sometimes it loads right, but you can't navigate the selections

Sometimes it will let you navigate but none of the widgets load, so it is all "Coming Soon"

Just odd behavior

-Robert
post #1546 of 1874 Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber1 View Post

Does anyone with Iron Man 2 Bluray have trouble playing it?

After I press "play" from the menu, my BD65 would just reboot.

Can anyone (with the latest firmware installed) try to play their IM2 Blu?

I just ran in to the same exact issue.
Selecting play or even trying to select a scene from the main menu causes the disc to reboot.
The player indicates Hello on the front panel and reloads the disc.

It worked fine until I upgraded to FW v1.56.

I can play other BD discs.

Anyone else have any issues with IM2 and FW v1.56?
If not, what are your Setup settings for HDMI and BD Live.

Thanks.

post #1547 of 1874 Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post

Just wondering is the vera cast flaky as hell for any one else ?

Sometimes it loads right, but you can't navigate the selections

Sometimes it will let you navigate but none of the widgets load, so it is all "Coming Soon"

Just odd behavior

-Robert

This happened to me once. I powered down&unplugged the BD65 for a few seconds and plugged back in. I also rebooted the router for good measure. And it worked smoothly after that. The BD65 GUI is a bit glitchy from time to time. I think this is probably why the 2011 BD75 has an updated GUI and software changes to address some of these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Thanks.

No. Plays just fine.

Firmware 1.56

HDMI Video Mode On
HDMI Resolution Auto
24p Output On
HDMI RGB Output Range Standard
HDMI Audio Output On
VIERA Link On
Deep Color Output Auto
Contents Type Flag Auto

BD-Live Internet Access Allow (Limited)
post #1548 of 1874 Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

This happened to me once. I powered down&unplugged the BD65 for a few seconds and plugged back in. I also rebooted the router for good measure. And it worked smoothly after that. The BD65 GUI is a bit glitchy from time to time. I think this is probably why the 2011 BD75 has an updated GUI and software changes to address some of these issues.

No. Plays just fine.

Firmware 1.56

HDMI Video Mode On
HDMI Resolution Auto
24p Output On
HDMI RGB Output Range Standard
HDMI Audio Output On
VIERA Link On
Deep Color Output Auto
Contents Type Flag Auto

BD-Live Internet Access Allow (Limited)

Thanks for the reply and settings.

I have the same exact settings on the player and same issue.
I even tried unplugging my network cable and it did not help.

Are you sending bitstream or PCM to the receiver?

*Disc works fine in my PS3.

I guess I'll see if Panasonic support has any suggestions.

post #1549 of 1874 Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Selecting play or even trying to select a scene from the main menu causes the disc to reboot.

Thanks.
I think there is a pressing error with some copies of Iron Man 2 on BD.

Some weeks ago I loaded a BD of IM2 from Netflix on my BD-65 and all it did was reboot the player when I tried to play it. Cleaning the disk did not help. So I returned it and complained to Netflix. The second copy they sent played without a problem.
post #1550 of 1874 Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
yeah IM2 had pressing issues.
post #1551 of 1874 Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply and settings.

I have the same exact settings on the player and same issue.
I even tried unplugging my network cable and it did not help.

Are you sending bitstream or PCM to the receiver?

*Disc works fine in my PS3.

I guess I'll see if Panasonic support has any suggestions.

Bitstream out over HDMI 1.3 cable > Onkyo AVR > TV

I prefer to let my AVR perform the audio decoding instead of the player.
post #1552 of 1874 Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Appears to be an issue with this player and my Pioneer VSX-1020K receiver.
*I had an Onkyo receiver when IM2 first came out so this sort of explains why it worked with this player in the past.

Just an FYI

When I try to play the Iron Man 2 blu-ray using my Panasonic BD65 player, the disc will reboot when I select play at the Main menu. Resetting my player or using different HDMI input on the receiver did not resolve the issue.

To work around this, all I have to do is turn off the receiver when I'm at the Main menu then select play, wait until it plays about 5 seconds of the movie then turn on the player.
I've had this receiver for over 6 months and this is the only disc that had an issue.

I tried my Panasonic BD35 and it works but the bitstream is detected as DTS only, no HD by the receiver.

post #1553 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 32
I played my IM2 BD last night after reading about the issue here (previously only viewed on my LG 570) and it plays flawlessly. No issues what so ever.
post #1554 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

yeah IM2 had pressing issues.

Really? Link? The first I've heard of this "pressing issue" issue.
post #1555 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Really? Link? The first I've heard of this "pressing issue" issue.

I remember it being a problem. Here is an example:

http://www.blu-ray.com/firmware/firmware.php?id=51
post #1556 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Looks to me like a LG BD390 FW issue more than a disc issue...I can't imagine I am the only one whose IM2 plays perfectly in my Panny BD65 player. I've had it for quite awhile and no issue on either player I have (LG570, Panny65).

But thanks for the link. Not what I expected, I thought there would have been quite a few pages of complaints will all the players if it was a disc issue.
post #1557 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD65K and realized that I need to purchase a Wireless LAN adaptor such as the DY-WL10 in order to connect to my wireless network and get Netflix. I'm wondering though if it has to be that exact adaptor or would another brand/model work. I read through some of the posts where this was mentioned but I didn't find anything definitive saying "Yes, you HAVE to have the DY-WL10" or "No, you can get any Wireless LAN adaptor and it will work."

So, what's the deal with this? Is this a proprietary piece of equipment or will any of them work?

Thanks,

Mike

SONY 52" KDL-52XBR4 -- ONKYO PRO PR-SC885P Preamp
EMOTIVA MPS-2 -- DirecTv HR20
SONY BDP S3100 -- ATHENA AS F2-1 LCR
KLIPSCH RS-42 Surrounds -- VELODYNE 15" DLS-5000R Sub
FURMAN M5500-EX Power Conditioner -- HARMONY 890 Pro
post #1558 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Vader View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD65K and realized that I need to purchase a Wireless LAN adaptor such as the DY-WL10 in order to connect to my wireless network and get Netflix. I'm wondering though if it has to be that exact adaptor or would another brand/model work. I read through some of the posts where this was mentioned but I didn't find anything definitive saying "Yes, you HAVE to have the DY-WL10" or "No, you can get any Wireless LAN adaptor and it will work."

So, what's the deal with this? Is this a proprietary piece of equipment or will any of them work?

Thanks,

Mike

Here is my $35 (total) workaround. I didn't want to pay the $80 for the Panasonic WLAN adapter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1435
post #1559 of 1874 Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Vader View Post

Thanks,

Mike

The only piece that's proprietary is if you use the USB WLAN adapter. Using a WAP plugged into the ethernet port is an alternative. I use an Asus model on my 60.
post #1560 of 1874 Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

I know this is probably not a great question to ask but has anyone ever tried to hack the firmware to get more access to the internet? Something like having the ability to use a internet type browser to be able to do some web surfing. My wife and I were talking how Niagara Falls is supposedly going to be illuminated Orange tonight in support of World MS Awareness Day. My wife, who has MS, just told me about it as it is posted on the MS Facebook page and asked if we would be able to see this on the TV from a web cam/earth cam. And that got me thinking about added functionality and hacking the firmware. Not that I could or would do it but I wondered if someone had done it. I am sure there are all kinds of proprietary issue but I am just curious none the less.

Also, I remember seeing a Panasonic Viera TV commercial recently touting the web apps and it seemed like there were more applications available than what seem to be on the current BD menus. Can anyone confirm this? If the TVs have more, I would HOPE that Panasonic would issue a new firmware release to give us more fun stuff.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page