post #1741 of 1874 Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

I've never updated my units firmware since I do not use it for streaming. Never had a single problem.

Am I missing something by not installing the update?

Only if you find a Blu-ray that won't play because of the way it was authored. There is usually a discussion of the problem title in the media forums here at AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1874 Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

is anyone having this issue with their BD65??? I have several discs (including Inc Hulk and HTTY Dragon) that will reboot if you try to skip chapters and/or jump to another chapter in the chapter menu. I can click on said chapter from the menu and then the player will just reboot itself and go back to the main menu. doesn't happen on many discs, just a handful.. but it's getting kinda frustrating. If it's a known issue I just may return it to costco get the BD75 or a sony player

I'm having the exact same problems with my BD-65 on The Pacific (the HBO series). Most of the time that I try to skip to a chapter, or even hit play after scanning at any speed, it reboots. Very disappointing. Can only play an episode straight through. I've been wondering if it is the disks, but these posts here make me suspect the player. May have to upgrade to a better player.
post #1743 of 1874 Old 10-31-2011, 11:30 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastjayhawk View Post

I'm having the exact same problems with my BD-65 on The Pacific (the HBO series). Most of the time that I try to skip to a chapter, or even hit play after scanning at any speed, it reboots. Very disappointing. Can only play an episode straight through. I've been wondering if it is the disks, but these posts here make me suspect the player. May have to upgrade to a better player.

Weird. We watched The Pacific about 6 months ago with no issues whatsoever.
post #1744 of 1874 Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Liked: 10
I've had this type of reboot problem with the Iron Man 2 BD with the previous firmware (Now upgraded to latest) - it would reboot every time the main movie started playing from the disc menu. Weird thing was this only happened when attached to my Panasonic AE-4000u projector (go figure) but when connected to my Panasonic 58" 800u plasma downstairs, it works fine with the same movie.

I will need to swap my BD players upstairs/downstairs and try it out with the new firmware but it's a PITA. I've concluded Panasonic just didn't make a robust firmware with this player and isn't spending a lot of development cycles on this older player now that they have newer and more expensive ones out.
post #1745 of 1874 Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM

I haven not posted in awhile but I wanted to say my 65 stopped reading my BR disc after about a year of owning it. About a month ago I noticed every now and then it would not read a disc and if I took the disc out the tray and reloaded it then it would work, since that time it got progressively worse and now about 75% of the time it will not read and reloading usually don't work.

I have not been on the up and up with the best player lately so today I went and bought a inexpensive replacement until I can figure out what I really want.

I bought a Samsung 5100 for $90 and I don't think I can stand it for to long, the remote sucks (small weird placed buttons, no eject button, etc..) also every time I change disc I push the player back about 3 inches because there is really no feet to speak of.

I was happy with the Panny 65 but the problem with disk error problem I don't know if I should buy another, I was thinking about one of the newer wifi models or maybe the 85.

Not sure what to buy and that is why I bought this temporary replacement, I'll read around the forums.
post #1746 of 1874 Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Updated to firmware 1.60 and now my player cannot connect to the Internet!
Stay away from 1.60!!

I had changed absolutely nothing in my router setup.
Now, the player cannot get an IP address.
I tried every option in the player setup, network easy setting, network setting, both
failed.
Rebooted the player numerous times, to no avail.

There is something very wrong with this update.
I found another customer whose device also got broken by this firmware.

Does Panasonic ever test their firmware?
After the previous blunder with v.1.43 or whatever, you would think its management
would done anything about it.

Did anyone else experience the same thing with 1.60.
It seems a few people from this forum did update, but they also mention not using the Internet connection anymore.

Netflix is the reason I got this stupid player, but now I feel like a complete idiot for having trusted Panasonic.
post #1747 of 1874 Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neopanz View Post

It seems a few people from this forum did update, but they also mention not using the Internet connection anymore.

I updated to 1.60 when it first came out and I haven't had any issues with the Internet connection. I get an IP address just fine from my D-Link DIR-655 ver. A3 router running 1.35NA firmware.

MD
post #1748 of 1874 Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:

...Did anyone else experience the same thing with 1.60.

Netflix is the reason I got this stupid player, but now I feel like a complete idiot for having trusted Panasonic.

Like mddillon, no issues here. I upgraded to 1.60 and the player is able to get an IP via DHCP from my Buffalo router flashed to Tomato 1.28 firmware. It is possible something with the 1.60 firmware changed the way the Panny network services DHCP handshake process works with your existing router and broken that. I've had DHCP problems with various router / network client combos, especially Windows XP clients but not with this particular player and my Tomato router.

Have you tried setting the player to a static IP, subnet mask and use the same DNS settings from your router? If this works, you can limit the DHCP address range your router will assign and set the Panny for an IP outside that range but still in the same subnet. Try that as a workaround. Example:

Let's say your router is configured for 192.168.1.1 router IP with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Valid client LAN IPs are 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 but you can restrict your router to assign only 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.128 and set your Panny to 192.168.1.129.
post #1749 of 1874 Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Did anyone else experience the same thing with 1.60.

I updated when it was first released and haven't had a problem.

I also have been using a static DHCP for quite a long time and find it is much more stable. Besides setting it in the BD-65, I entered the BD-65 Mac Address in the router.
post #1750 of 1874 Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Just wondering what blu ray player picture setting (Display>Video>Picture) setting would be best to calibrate your TV with? I don't know why the player would even have picture settings, that's when the TV has that?!

I originally calibrated my Panasonic TCP42S2 TV with my DMP-BD65-K blu ray player on the "Soft" setting. But I just recently re-calibrated my TV with my BD player on the "User" picture setting (with all the the adjustable options such as brightness, etc. set to "0").

Also have any of you had issues with "floating blacks", having the picture get brighter during a dark scene? I have, & I'm wondering if I should have the "Deep Color" & "Content" functions turned off or left on "Auto" in the BD player's "Function Menu">HDMI Device Connection.
post #1751 of 1874 Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Anybody streaming from Amazon, their so-called "Prime" movies? Is there any way to get captions when viewing via the BD65?
post #1752 of 1874 Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

I tried out Amazon VOD the other night and there was a grey border around the entire picture which I could not get to go away. I can't remember if this border is present in the Viera Cast home screen or not. Does anyone know how to get the picture to display without this border?
post #1753 of 1874 Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobbubes View Post

I tried out Amazon VOD the other night and there was a grey border around the entire picture which I could not get to go away. I can't remember if this border is present in the Viera Cast home screen or not. Does anyone know how to get the picture to display without this border?

I would suggest that you go into the Settings menu (from the menu page where you can select from Amazon, Netflix, etc., choose "More", then from the next menu choose "More" again. "Settings" will be in the upper left corner---IF you haven't customized your screens).

Now in the Settings menu, there is an option for "Screen Size", I believe. Select the setting that cuts off the left and right edge of the display oval JUST A LITTLE. Then, SAVE, and back out of that back to the main menu.

I believe you will find that the grey border is gone.
post #1754 of 1874 Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Help, never before has this happened before.

Trying to watch Cars 2 and I keep getting the
Cannot Connect to Network
Please confirm Network Settings or BD-Live internet Access in Setup.

It keeps flashing on and off throughout all the previews and Movie!

In the past, this message will only come up once, then disappear...now it wont stop popping up!!!

EDIT: I changed my setup from BD-LIVE prohibited to BD-LIVE Allowed. I HATE BD-Live, and never want it, but this movie forces us to put it on!
post #1755 of 1874 Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Thank you very much. That solved the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

I would suggest that you go into the Settings menu (from the menu page where you can select from Amazon, Netflix, etc., choose "More", then from the next menu choose "More" again. "Settings" will be in the upper left corner---IF you haven't customized your screens).

Now in the Settings menu, there is an option for "Screen Size", I believe. Select the setting that cuts off the left and right edge of the display oval JUST A LITTLE. Then, SAVE, and back out of that back to the main menu.

I believe you will find that the grey border is gone.

post #1756 of 1874 Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Well, I haven't ever updated my player, I am hoping a new update will fix the issue I have had with this play and layer transitions.

I would prefer not to burn a disc if I dont have to, I thought I could update via the sd card?

No internet at my house so its going to be updating old sk00l

-R
post #1757 of 1874 Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM

Anyone having issues connecting to apps tonight? It gets to the app screen but all the boxes are blank. I've tried turning off and back on. It passes all network tests. Worked last night. Weird. Just trying to see if it's just me or more widespread.
post #1758 of 1874 Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Seem to be back up now. Weird.
post #1759 of 1874 Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Liked: 13
Mine did the same thing. Didn't work last night but works fine today. Course with the 1.56 firmware it would do the same thing sometimes.
post #1760 of 1874 Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Help, never before has this happened before.

Trying to watch Cars 2 and I keep getting the
Cannot Connect to Network
Please confirm Network Settings or BD-Live internet Access in Setup.

It keeps flashing on and off throughout all the previews and Movie!

In the past, this message will only come up once, then disappear...now it wont stop popping up!!!

EDIT: I changed my setup from BD-LIVE prohibited to BD-LIVE Allowed. I HATE BD-Live, and never want it, but this movie forces us to put it on!

Disney Blu-rays are the worst. Not only they are extremely slow to load and they make you watch their previews one after another. Their BRs also "phone-home" every time you play them.
post #1761 of 1874 Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 AM

I am having a weird problem. Bought a new player for my primary TV so moved this player to our other TV. Now I am missing audio in any of the Veiracast apps. No audio in netflix, youtube, or even the click noises while I click around the menus. If I insert a DVD I have audio no problem, player is plugged directly into my Mitsubishi TV. I have swapped around cables and what ports the player is plugged in. Previous setup was plugged directly into the TV as well as none of these TVs have AV receivers. Anyone else ever had any audio issues with the network apps?
post #1762 of 1874 Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM

I got this player on Craigslist today because I bought a new HDTV and the guy was selling this player for cheap. I rented "Limitless" Blu-Ray from RedBox and the disc was not recognized. Returned it, rented the same title from Blockbuster, same deal. I have read a few times on the forum that certain titles may have trouble playing on certain machines. Limitless is the only Blu-Ray I've played, however I have DVD's and they play fine. Any one else had trouble with this title, or does this sound like a defective player? Any help would be appreciated!
post #1763 of 1874 Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo271 View Post

I got this player on Craigslist today because I bought a new HDTV and the guy was selling this player for cheap. I rented "Limitless" Blu-Ray from RedBox and the disc was not recognized. Returned it, rented the same title from Blockbuster, same deal. I have read a few times on the forum that certain titles may have trouble playing on certain machines. Limitless is the only Blu-Ray I've played, however I have DVD's and they play fine. Any one else had trouble with this title, or does this sound like a defective player? Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have the latest firmware?
post #1764 of 1874 Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo271 View Post

It sounds like the Blu Laser is on the way out and may need replacing. Make sure the firmware is up todate.
post #1765 of 1874 Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To everyone who is experiencing disc read errors:

I had been experiencing the same with increasing frequency. Certain discs seemed to cause more problems than others (Tron Legacy and Return of the King EE spring to mind). The disc would spin, causing a loud grinding noise, and then I'd get one of several read error messages.

Long story short, the problem for me was crud on the BD drive spindle. It was a simple matter of opening up the player (two big screws on the side, 3 on the back), popping the top off of the drive (3 screws, then the plastic lid pops off using a tab on the rear), and simply cleaning off a very minor layer of crud from the spindle with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol (taking care to avoid the blue and red laser diodes).

Then I put everything back together, and now everything plays with no errors, and a lot less noise.

I don't know why the thing is so sensitive, but it sounds like anyone who has been using this player regularly for more than a year may well experience the same thing.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #1766 of 1874 Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

By "spindle", do you mean the small circle that the disc itself snaps onto?
post #1767 of 1874 Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

By "spindle", do you mean the small circle that the disc itself snaps onto?

Yes. Black rubberized material with a metal center.

post #1768 of 1874 Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
While this post deals with Panasonic DVDRs the principal is the same, note the pictures near the end of this post which show a spindle.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...98&postcount=2
post #1769 of 1874 Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Very useful post, jjeff, thanks.

The photos therein clearly indicate the spindle. Honestly, the "hardest" part of the whole procedure was figuring out how to get the plastic top off of the BD drive. When undoing the 3 screws didn't work, I was afraid I was going to crack it, or that it would be a much more complicated disassembly, until I finally spied the little tab on the rear end of the drive. Pushing that in let the whole top come off with ease.

post #1770 of 1874 Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM

I just bought the wireless adapter on amazon for a decent price (to me). Is the WL 10 the best/only option for wireless ? Router is at the other end of the house.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page