Panasonic DMP-BD65 - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1891 of 1898 Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
Anyone have the sound issue I've been experiencing. When a bd disc is in, the sound goes off and on repeadly and the Dolby sign on my avr flashes on and off on my air, denon x4000. I've tried this on three different bd discs with the same results. DVDs works fine.

I've checked the firmware. It is up to date. Any other recommendations?
It sounds like the Blu Ray laser is going bad. If the regular DVDs plays fine and Blu Ray don't that is usually the sign. There are earlier post where people also greased the rail that the laser travels on and had good luck with that. Hope this helps.

My meager set up
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic DMB-BDT360
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Panasonic 65VT60
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1898 Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The picture plays fine, but the sound is off. I was guessing the br laser, I'll check the steps to clean the laser.
post #1893 of 1898 Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Panasonic BD655 bitstreaming Atmos....dropouts?

Just curious if the Panasonic BD655 can bitstream Atmos titles like Ependables 3 and John Wick without any audio dropouts? I am just getting the core 7.1 TrueHD track since I don't have an Atmos pre/pro, but my Oppo 93 has dropout issues with certain (Just Lionsgate so far) Atmos discs and was going to use my 655 for these discs if it can bitstream these without issue. I know I could always just decode in the 93 and send out as LPCM, but just curious if the 655 will work if I want to bitstream?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 02-16-2015 at 06:08 PM.
post #1894 of 1898 Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Just curious if the Panasonic BD655 can bitstream Atmos titles like Ependables 3 and John Wick without any audio dropouts? I am just getting the core 7.1 TrueHD track since I don't have an Atmos pre/pro, but my Oppo 93 has dropout issues with certain (Just Lionsgate so far) Atmos discs and was going to use my 655 for these discs if it can bitstream these without issue. I know I could always just decode in the 93 and send out as LPCM, but just curious if the 655 will work if I want to bitstream?
I have a used Panasonic DMP-BD65 on the way to me . . what title would you like me to test with when it gets here? I expect it will work perfectly (like my other Panasonic & Sony players).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #1895 of 1898 Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have a used Panasonic DMP-BD65 on the way to me . . what title would you like me to test with when it gets here? I expect it will work perfectly (like my other Panasonic & Sony players).

If you could test Expendables 3 or John Wick Atmos track bitstreamed, that would be great!

post #1896 of 1898 Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
If you could test Expendables 3 or John Wick Atmos track bitstreamed, that would be great!
I have the John Wick blu-ray in my "to be watched" pile, so when the BD65 gets here, I'll hook it up and play John Wick. My receiver is not Dolby Atmos capable (a Yamaha RX-V3900), so I assume the player will bitstream Dolby TrueHD when I choose the Dolby Atmos audio track like my Sony BDP-S1000ES does. I will let you know . . probably some time next week (UPS expected delivery is Wednesday).

post #1897 of 1898 Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I have the John Wick blu-ray in my "to be watched" pile, so when the BD65 gets here, I'll hook it up and play John Wick. My receiver is not Dolby Atmos capable (a Yamaha RX-V3900), so I assume the player will bitstream Dolby TrueHD when I choose the Dolby Atmos audio track like my Sony BDP-S1000ES does. I will let you know . . probably some time next week (UPS expected delivery is Wednesday).
Sounds good, thanks! Looking forward to your findings.

post #1898 of 1898 Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

The used Panasonic DMP-BD65 player arrived today. Looks to be in great shape. Had firmware 1.60 installed in it.
Powered it right up and did some testing. All seems to work just fine. I can confirm it is free of cinavia!
This is a very nice player! No 3D, but it apparently supports streaming (no built-in wi-fi so I'll have to connect it to an access point to test that).
Then I installed the newest firmware 1.62 (downloaded and burned a cd-r. It worked perfectly).
Equipment: the Panasonic DMP-BD65 connected via hdmi to my Yamaha RX-V3900.
Some settings include: "Seamless Play" & "HDMI Audio" On, "Audio Reformatting" & "Secondary Audio" Off.
We watched "John Wick" this evening (well . . I watched it while my wife used her laptop, knitted, read, made faces every time the world began getting shot up or exploded, etc. . . :-). I selected Dolby Atmos audio in the player, the receiver saw 7.2 channels Dolby TrueHD coming down the line to it & the movie played perfectly . . no audio dropouts of any kind.
PQ & AQ were excellent, the player seems fast enough to me (even without "Quick Start" activated). But I confess to not being terribly concerned about how long a player or movie takes to boot up.
I'll test again for cinavia tomorrow to confirm firmware 1.62 is ok (but I am 99% certain 1.62 is clean).
Overall, I think this player will serve us well in a secondary system.

Update: I can now confirm that firmware 1.62 in the DMP-BD65 is free of cinavia.
More updates: I've been playing around and experimenting with this player. It works fine, continues to provide excellent pq & aq on all 100% "compliant" blu-rays thrown at it. I threw in the compliant comment, as Panasonic players (all of them, apparently) are pretty finicky about this "compliant" issue. I have a couple of burned BD-REs that have some TV episodes we missed. I grab shows like this off the net to burn to BD-RE, watch once, and then re-use the disc. My Sony players have absolutely no problem playing them just fine. But the Panny's (I have both a BD55 & 65) will do strange things with them - doubling the video image side by side on the screen - unless I transcode them to make sure they are 100% compliant. I found a fair amount of discussion traffic about this, so I know it isn't something unique to my 2 particular players. The problem is not playing burned media - it handles both BD-R and BD-RE media fine. It's just a question of how the video on the disc is formatted, apparently. Just a heads-up . . .

Update: I picked up another used Panasonic DMP-BD65 just because it was so cheap ($25 shipped, no tax). I updated its firmware to 1.62 and it also works perfectly.

Last edited by Rich86; 06-13-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page