Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaker1 View Post

yeah more on this issue would be great, or did only the winston reviews notice it yet. i swore i saw someone else say something about it. Is it that bad? or do you really have to look for it? and do you think it could be fixed with a firmware update

The light fluctuations were not present on every disc, but were repeatable on the two 65s i reviewed. In comparing it to other players, the level of light fluctuation of the transfer varied amonst players. For some reason, the Panasonic seems to have the most noticeable fluctuations of light level.

For reference, I encourage owners to test season 4 of six feet under. they light levels were most visible on disc 3, 4 and 5. in very detailed watching of the same scenes with other players, they light levels did not fluctuate to the point they were immediately noticeable. For example, the Samsung 5500 had a very subtle change as did the LG BD550. The Pioneer 320 did not show any fluctuation. I can't explain it any further.

It may have been the disc's authoring, but for whatever reason it was more visible with the Panasonic. It's possible it also might have been an interaction with my plasma's video settings, but it was not noticeable to the same extent with other players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok well i bought the bdp-65k and i got a problem,i have my xbox hdmi to hdmi then from the tv i got a ToSlink cable going to my reciever AND I HAVE SOUND FOR THE XBOX. i go Hdmi to Hdmi from bdp 65k to the tv and im getting no sound plugged the toslink into the player got sound. So the problem is happening at that player anyone know how to fix it?

tv is a panasonic g25 and player is panny 65

figured it out hdmi audio output is switched to off as default...
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
So you're fine with your receiver only getting 2-ch stereo on all your BD/DVDs and XBox games? Your TV will only pass back 5.1 via optical if you're using the internal TV tuner. For other sources, it will be 2-ch PCM only.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a few questions about the BD65 and BD85, if someone would be so kind as to help out...

1. I don't have HDMI; if I output over Component will BR be in 720p at least?
2. If I get the BD65, will the optical audio output transmit the 5 channel DD/DTS to my Denon amp?
3. Does the BD85 include the wi-fi dongle, or is wi-fi actually built-in?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post

I have a few questions about the BD65 and BD85, if someone would be so kind as to help out...

1. I don't have HDMI; if I output over Component will BR be in 720p at least?
2. If I get the BD65, will the optical audio output transmit the 5 channel DD/DTS to my Denon amp?
3. Does the BD85 include the wi-fi dongle, or is wi-fi actually built-in?

Thanks!

1. Up to 1080i
2. Yes you'll get the lossy core tracks but they are still at a higher bit rate than what you get now on DVD.
3. Dongle is included in the 85. There is a 2nd USB port in the back of the 85 and only 1 usb port on the 65 in the front.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I appreciate the quick reply, moxie. This is going to be a really n00b followup, but "up to 1080i" includes 720p right? I only ask because 1080/2 = 540 for each interlaced half of an image, so I'm a bit uncertain.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post

I appreciate the quick reply, moxie. This is going to be a really n00b followup, but "up to 1080i" includes 720p right? I only ask because 1080/2 = 540 for each interlaced half of an image, so I'm a bit uncertain.

Yes, 720p is covered, By up to 1080i I meant that it won't send 1080p over component. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

So you're fine with your receiver only getting 2-ch stereo on all your BD/DVDs and XBox games? Your TV will only pass back 5.1 via optical if you're using the internal TV tuner. For other sources, it will be 2-ch PCM only.

i here all 5 speakers going from the back of the blu ray player to the tv then from the tv to receiver with a tos link cable.

and i here all 5 on the xbox to? i shud only be hearing two?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are hearing the 2-ch stereo got process by Dolby ProLogic, not the same thing as discrete 5.1 if you connect optical directly from the player or XBox 360. Big difference. You need to connect optical cables directly from the player and XBox to your receiver, not from your TV. And in the case of BD65, you probably have to disable HDMI audio as well in order for optical cable to send out 5.1.

In fact, if you read your TV's manual, it should tell you exactly what you can expect from the tos link output.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You are hearing the 2-ch stereo got process by Dolby ProLogic, not the same thing as discrete 5.1 if you connect optical directly from the player or XBox 360. Big difference. You need to connect optical cables directly from the player and XBox to your receiver, not from your TV. And in the case of BD65, you probably have to disable HDMI audio as well in order for optical cable to send out 5.1.

In fact, if you read your TV's manual, it should tell you exactly what you can expect from the tos link output.

Foxbat121 has it right
Run the optical connections directly to your receiver.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm curious to know, to date, what apps the 65 is getting through the internet?

Is there a date yet for Pandora or any new apps?

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I just ordered one from jr.com. It's $159 right now with free shipping and $7.95 Bing cashback. I hope I like it!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question for those who've bought one...

An annoyance with last year's BD60 was when streaming a program from Amazon on Demand, sound is 2.0 channel even if the program was recorded in 5.1. Does the BD65 fix this? Does it output 5.1 channel sound through the optical output when watching an Amazon on Demand program??

Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM

I have noticed the light flickering also on a standard DVD. I have the standard and blu ray version of Harry Potter and the half blood prince. In the scene where he apparates to the Weasley's house and lands in the water / marsh outside. The marsh grass is lit from the moon and it just flickers constantly. Doesn't do it on the Blu ray but does on the standard DVD. Has anyone heard if this can be addressed with firmware?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetmparker View Post

I have noticed the light flickering also on a standard DVD. I have the standard and blu ray version of Harry Potter and the half blood prince. In the scene where he apparates to the Weasley's house and lands in the water / marsh outside. The marsh grass is lit from the moon and it just flickers constantly. Doesn't do it on the Blu ray but does on the standard DVD. Has anyone heard if this can be addressed with firmware?

I have reported this three times to Panasonic and they have yet to respond to me after discussing the issue with engineers.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetmparker View Post

Any other owners seeing the light fluctuations on std dvds?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was pleased to the Harry Potter movie mentioned since it gave me an opportunity to see this for myself. Despite looking and looking again, neither my wife nor I can spy any fluctuation. Either we're just not sensitive to it or it's not there on our system.

-= Jed =-
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM

I think people looking for or reporting the possible flicker issue should report the display they are using, connection type to the display, and resolution (auto, or fixed at 1080p, 1080i, etc). This will help in determining the issue or in replicating it.

PDP displays (plasma's and such) are much more prone to artifacts then say a tube based rear projection display. Ex: macroblocking on the old oppo players, very noticeble on PDP not so much on rear projection displays.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercans View Post

I think people looking for or reporting the possible flicker issue should report the display they are using, connection type to the display, and resolution (auto, or fixed at 1080p, 1080i, etc). This will help in determining the issue or in replicating it.

PDP displays (plasma's and such) are much more prone to artifacts then say a tube based rear projection display. Ex: macroblocking on the old oppo players, very noticeble on PDP not so much on rear projection displays.

9G kuro. 1080p. light fluctuations present at 60hz and 24hz, but for dvd only. present on all the video setting presets i tested.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM

None noticed on Saving Private Ryan DVD to 37" Sony XBR6 via hdmi. TV is calibrated to my prefs, nothing too drastic, but definetely not factory defaults.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdatpslp View Post

None noticed on Saving Private Ryan DVD to 37" Sony XBR6 via hdmi. TV is calibrated to my prefs, nothing too drastic, but definetely not factory defaults.

can you please describe the colors and lighting of the scene that showed flickering? i saw it in darker scenes with yellows, greens and browns. think lowly lit kitchens and bedrooms. the flickering would occur, then stabilize only return when lighting on the scene changed. dvds only.

for me it was noticeable enough that even my wife asked what's up with the tv. it was not repeatable (at the same level/degree) on other players.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

can you please describe the colors and lighting of the scene that showed flickering? i saw it in darker scenes with yellows, greens and browns. think lowly lit kitchens and bedrooms. the flickering would occur, then stabilize only return when lighting on the scene changed. dvds only.

for me it was noticeable enough that even my wife asked what's up with the tv. it was not repeatable (at the same level/degree) on other players.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I did not see any flickering etc. and that movie is nothing but dimly lit scenes with lots of green and brown (and an awful lot of bright red here and there).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Am thinking about returning my BD605 to Costco to "upgrade" to this model when it's available there. But I guess I'll wait just a little bit to make sure it's worth the trouble (Netflix is not important to me). I have read every page of the official BD60 thread from the very beginning. Is this "picture flicker" problem going to be the same as the "freeze" situation that dominated that thread for months? Although Panasonic does seem to have eventually fixed the freeze on the 60. Don't want to exchange a problem that was finally fixed on one model for a different problem on a new model. Although to be fair many people say they never had the freeze problem (I did on occasion) either so maybe this flicker problem would be equally sporadic across users.

Guess I'll just keep following your user experiences. Is this going to be considered the "official" BD65 thread? Doesn't seem to be many posts yet, although perhaps it's because the BD65 is just being rolled out slowly.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Those looking for and reporting the possible flicker issue please PM me the display you are using, connection type to the display, and resolution (auto, or fixed at 1080p, 1080i, etc). This will help in determining the issue or in replicating it. I will then add it to this list. PLEASE specify firmware version as well.

Flicker Seen:
1. Reported by winston9332: "9G kuro. 1080p. light fluctuations present at 60hz and 24hz, but for dvd only. present on all the video setting presets i tested"

No Flicker Seen:
1. Reported by jdatpslp: "37" Sony XBR6 via hdmi. TV is calibrated to my prefs, nothing too drastic"

Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Just got a bd65. Seems to work great. Upconversion of regular DVD's is excellent. Netflix is fantastic. I have not tried a blu ray yet. When I start up I get a message that a new firmware version is available. Seems strange since this player was just released. I called Panasonic and spoke to a "script reader" who said there is no new firmware since the player is so new. I went on some site that showed a newer version of what I have (1.04). What's the deal?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM

What is Bing cash back? I also just got my 65 from J&R but paid a flat $159.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewooddoctor View Post

Just got a bd65. Seems to work great. Upconversion of regular DVD's is excellent. Netflix is fantastic. I have not tried a blu ray yet. When I start up I get a message that a new firmware version is available. Seems strange since this player was just released. I called Panasonic and spoke to a "script reader" who said there is no new firmware since the player is so new. I went on some site that showed a newer version of what I have (1.04). What's the deal?

Newer firmware typically is posted in Panasonic.net (Panny global site) first. US Panasonic support and its site are usually a version or two lag behind.

According to http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c..._65_85_na.html, the latest firmware is 1.27 for BD65. Your player's network updates checks global site hence gives you the popup.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewooddoctor View Post

I just got mine yesterday as well. I went and checked the firmware and it updated me from 1.04 to 1.14. No big deal. Quick and painless.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM

What's the difference between DMP-BD65PU and DMP-BD65 models?Is it safe to update BD65 model
with the BD65PU latest firmware 1.27?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercans View Post

Flicker and Equipment Tracking...

Silvercans,

Perhaps you should include the firmware level in your tracking too.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black