Panasonic DMP-BD65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1874 Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that the Panasonic 2010 Blu-ray players are starting to appear on online retailers, especially the DMP-BD65. Does anyone own one of these players yet ? If so, I'd be interested in hearing a review.

I'm especially interested in the Netflix streaming capabilities. How does the user interface look ? Quality (HD / standard) ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1874 Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM

My first HDTV is on the way (50 G25 !), I now need to grab a Blu-Ray player so that I can have some 1080P content when it arrives.

I had settled on the BD-60, and was about to order when I saw (for about $20 bucks more), the BD-65.

Since I'll have NetFlix on the G25, is there a good reason to spend the extra cash on the BD-65?

Will it have better load speeds (from full shutdown...)?

Will it decode audio or video in some better method?

Will it have a better DVD Upscaling?

Thoughts?!

Pat E
post #3 of 1874 Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbrav View Post

I see that the Panasonic 2010 Blu-ray players are starting to appear on online retailers, especially the DMP-BD65. Does anyone own one of these players yet ? If so, I'd be interested in hearing a review.

I'm especially interested in the Netflix streaming capabilities. How does the user interface look ? Quality (HD / standard) ?

Thanks.

I just read in another thread that Netflix is not on the Viera Cast portal yet. It was indicated to be available before the end of the 1st quarter. I have a Roku streaming Netflix now in HD. FedEx is scheduled to deliver a DMP-BD85 tomorrow (signature required so might not get it until Monday - Tuesday if they try and deliver when no one is home.

I was disappointed Netflix has not been added yet, but it is not a killer for the deal. I have a Panny plasma that should work with the BD player control over their Viera Link. That is the main reason I decided to go with the Panny BD. Decided on the 85 since it has the wireless connector but could have gotten the 65 and figured out a way to use a wireless bridge into the Ethernet port instead of the USB Panasonic connector which is said to cost around $100, but I have not been able to locate one anywhere yet.
post #4 of 1874 Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the 65 & 85 at BB tonight and the box claims 0.5 Startup time, that does not mean load time but at least the startup time is really fast now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatEllis15 View Post

My first HDTV is on the way (50 G25 !), I now need to grab a Blu-Ray player so that I can have some 1080P content when it arrives.

I had settled on the BD-60, and was about to order when I saw (for about $20 bucks more), the BD-65.

Since I'll have NetFlix on the G25, is there a good reason to spend the extra cash on the BD-65?

Will it have better load speeds (from full shutdown...)?

Will it decode audio or video in some better method?

Will it have a better DVD Upscaling?

Thoughts?!

Pat E

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #5 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 AM

http://www.winstonsreviews.com reviews the bd65 with netflix.
post #6 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the link... Sounds like it might be worth the $30 premium for the 65 between being faster, and better upscaling.
post #7 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Newsflash: Winston says Netflix works now on the 65.
post #8 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post

Newsflash: Winston says Netflix works now on the 65.

I got my DMP-BD85 this afternoon. Took several attempts to get the wireless setup and connected. Went into Viera Cast and noticed the red NETFLIX banner on the upper right. Generated the code, logged into my Netflix account on the computer, registered the code and it recognized it as a DMP-BD85. Watched the movie "Outsourced" right away. Only had one pause to rebuffer. Checked info on the HDTV and it showed 1080P so it does upconvert. Very sharp picture. I have a couple of Blue Ray disks scheduled to be here Monday so I will be able to compare that then.

I still have the Roku hooked up and will probably compare the two devices before moving the Roku up to the other TV. First impression .. Roku streaming @ 720P.. dang good picture. Panny BD streaming @ 1080P (upconverted from 720P) great picture.

Bill
post #9 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlbrown9 View Post

I got my DMP-BD85 this afternoon. Took several attempts to get the wireless setup and connected. Went into Viera Cast and noticed the red NETFLIX banner on the upper right. Generated the code, logged into my Netflix account on the computer, registered the code and it recognized it as a DMP-BD85. Watched the movie "Outsourced" right away. Only had one pause to rebuffer. Checked info on the HDTV and it showed 1080P so it does upconvert. Very sharp picture. I have a couple of Blue Ray disks scheduled to be here Monday so I will be able to compare that then.

I still have the Roku hooked up and will probably compare the two devices before moving the Roku up to the other TV. First impression .. Roku streaming @ 720P.. dang good picture. Panny BD streaming @ 1080P (upconverted from 720P) great picture.

Bill

I'm not real familiar with how Viera Cast works. Is it hardware dependent or is it powered by a website? I'm wondering if only the 65/85 models will get Netflix or will all models with Viera Cast get it.

Edit: Never mind...I just found this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18168443

Deuce
post #10 of 1874 Old 02-27-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce01 View Post

I'm not real familiar with how Viera Cast works. Is it hardware dependent or is it powered by a website? I'm wondering if only the 65/85 models will get Netflix or will all models with Viera Cast get it.

A few people already asked Panasonic about this in the general 2010 players thread. Only the 2010 models of TVs and Blu-ray players will get it. 2009 owners are SOL.
post #11 of 1874 Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a few questions for people that own the panasonic 65 player.

I own the panasonic 80 player. I have a few problems with some titles. I was wondering if they work on the new player or not?

1) the trailers in front of braveheart, gladiator and forrest gump. when I play the trailers they freeze and then repeat a few times then stop and load up the main menu.. the trailers before the movie.

2) alien from the 9 disc set. I cann play it in DTS either the directors cut or theatre version. it will freeze every 5 seconds.

3) my insignia player can do the proper DTSMA for die hard 2, but the panasonic 80 cann't.

4) can you get sound when you are bitstreaming on netflix? I have the insignia player and I must change it to pcm to get sound.

thank you.

Jacob
post #12 of 1874 Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMP-BD65 will be able to function as a DLNA client to play music, photos and videos off of a local network NAS?
post #13 of 1874 Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone confirmed what online features this player has besides Netflix? I.E. Pandora, and such.

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #14 of 1874 Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

A local Best Buy doesn't have it available for display and priced though the player is up in the rafters. Guess they still have to many BD60s they are trying to dispose of first.
post #15 of 1874 Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

Has anyone confirmed what online features this player has besides Netflix? I.E. Pandora, and such.

Figured this was relevant to this thread as well, originally referenced in the Panasonic BD-60/80 Owners thread by wildrock. It is a quote from a blog entry made by the Panasonic VP on the questions about Viera Cast features.

Quote:

One of the unique designs of VIERA CAST is that it's a thin-client architecture. This means that the product (a television, BD player or HTiB) receives content streamed directly from our partners' servers, and as we increase the number of content partners, where possible we make every effort to make the new applications available to existing products. As we have said in many forums, we continue to work to add applications. The where possible language is the only hitch.

The vast majority of applications we have added since day one of VIERA CAST have been available to all VIERA CAST television owners. In several cases, due to software development schedules, there has been a timing gap between the availability of content on our televisions, compared to our BD players and HTiBs (Home Theater in a Box products). So content that was launched on VIERA CAST may have appeared first in televisions, and several months later on BD players and HTiBs.

The where possible hitch mentioned above is due to factors we cannot control, generally related to system requirements and hardware changes. As we negotiate with some content providers, they have rules they must follow in protecting the streamed content, and those rules are set by the individual partners.

Neither they nor we have the ability to change this, and this leaves us in a difficult position - do we add system functionality to a new model year's product, to allow this additional content to be available, or not? We're always working very hard to get content available across the entire VIERA CAST platform, but in a few cases, we have had to make software and hardware changes in new models to accommodate the requirements of the content providers.

This means that this specific content cannot flow to older models. I am pleased to announce that Pandora, Fox Sports and Twitter will be added to existing models via a free automatic software download. But due to the system requirement issues, Netflix cannot be added to pre-2010 models.

Another area that affects the ability of previous VIERA CAST products to get new features is when the hardware requirements change. For example, the 2010 Skype feature requires the use of a special USB connection and a special external camera/microphone. This USB connection does not exist on prior models, so making this feature available is not physically possible. If we could do some kind of software upgrade we would - but it's like adding four-wheel-drive to a two-wheel-drive car - it's just not possible.

This may not be what some of you were hoping to hear, but we hope you understand that these are realities under which we, and indeed all consumer electronics manufacturers, are forced to operate. Suffice to say that, whenever we can, we will offer you additional VIERA CAST services.

Sounds like no Netflix on pre-2010 Viera Cast models. Good news is that Pandora, Fox Sports, Twitter and a couple others will be added to all models of Viera Cast to go along with YouTube and Amazon on Demand. Hope this helps.

My Setup:
Samsung LN46C630
Denon 790 AVR
Energy CF-30 Tower L/R Speakers
Energy CC-10 Center Channel Speaker
BIC PL-200 Subwoofer
Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray Player
post #16 of 1874 Old 03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatNation View Post

Figured this was relevant to this thread as well, originally referenced in the Panasonic BD-60/80 Owners thread by wildrock. It is a quote from a blog entry made by the Panasonic VP on the questions about Viera Cast features.

Sounds like no Netflix on pre-2010 Viera Cast models. Good news is that Pandora, Fox Sports, Twitter and a couple others will be added to all models of Viera Cast to go along with YouTube and Amazon on Demand. Hope this helps.

If I'm reading correctly, No streaming/Viera Cast without a Panasonic TV?

post #17 of 1874 Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

If I'm reading correctly, No streaming/Viera Cast without a Panasonic TV?

No... it is just that the 2010 TVs and Blu-ray players will likely share the same basic VieraCast feature set, so he posted some info here about it.
post #18 of 1874 Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcrjc View Post

Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMP-BD65 will be able to function as a DLNA client to play music, photos and videos off of a local network NAS?

There's been no official talk of this as a feature, so I wouldn't hold your breath for it.
The Sony 370/470/570 (with firmware coming in July) or the LG 570 (DLNA enabled right now) might be the way to go if you want DLNA for sure.

It's a shame because DLNA is the only thing Panny is missing to make it competative with the other brands. I really like my BD35 and would like to replace it with something new and fast and online enabled, and Panasonic ideally

For me DLNA isn't a deal breaker, but it is annoying...
post #19 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM

the lack of advertised features in the new players is really disappointing. i guess the companies were in such a rush to get them to market (why i'm not sure) that they decided to take some shortcuts on advertised feature sets in the interest of time. i want it 'all', meaning dlna support, netflix, pandora, picasa, and was really hoping to have some choices between lg, sony and panny. right now it looks like lg is the only one to have put everything they advertised into the early deliveries. sony has no dlna nor does panny...i guess i'll continue to wait until this sorts itself out.
post #20 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

the lack of advertised features in the new players is really disappointing. i guess the companies were in such a rush to get them to market (why i'm not sure) that they decided to take some shortcuts on advertised feature sets in the interest of time. i want it 'all', meaning dlna support, netflix, pandora, picasa, and was really hoping to have some choices between lg, sony and panny. right now it looks like lg is the only one to have put everything they advertised into the early deliveries. sony has no dlna nor does panny...i guess i'll continue to wait until this sorts itself out.

Which adverstised features are you talking about. Panny never adverstised DLNA support from what I know.

And DLNA support is not as simple as you may think. Once you claim to support DLNA, ppl will complain lack of support to this audio format, that video format etc. There are so many of different audio and video formats out there. It will never end and a support nightmare for manufacturers. All this and to keep the player cost as low as possible, I just don't think it is happening. If you want a multi-media player, get a PS3 or similar products. I will be just happy if a BD player can play BDs without problem and offer features that enhance DB playback experience like faster load time and auto-resume for BD-J discs etc.

Now back on topic of BD65, how can no owner ever confirm the 0.5 power on time and average load time of a BD disc?
post #21 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 AM

i emailed panny support and about dlna and got this response....

"Thank you for your inquiry.The dmpbd85 and 65 models does support dlna."

now i'm really confused......
post #22 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...odel.DMP-BD65K

Click on Technical Specs.
post #23 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

i emailed panny support and about dlna and got this response....

"Thank you for your inquiry.The dmpbd85 and 65 models does support dlna."

now i'm really confused......

I'm joining the confused group. I have a DMP-BD85 (US version) and the manual gives no mention of DLNA support. Manual here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD85-MUL.PDF

Now, under Playable discs/Cards/USB devices:

SD SD, SDHC, SDXC MPEG2, AVCHD, JPEG

USB USB devices (up to 128GB) DivX, MP3, JPEG

Page 31: The contents of the USB device cannot be
read.
USB devices connected using USB extestion cable other
than the included or a USB hub may not be recognized by
this unit.
If inserted during playback the USB device may not be
recognized by this unit.
If two USB devices other than Wireless LAN adaptor are
connected simultaneously, they will not be recognized by
this unit.

Now if I search the Panasonic GLOBAL site under EU and The G Series TVs, I find mention of DLNA:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/eu201.../g_plasma.html

Under Viera Cast it mentions "USB terminals for a USB Keyboard" then:

"Make your home even more comfortable by linking your digital home appliances with DLNA. This new system lets you share images, music and other content through DLNA-compatible TVs, computers connected to a router over a LAN network. You can also enjoy this content in different rooms. For example, you can watch still and motion images that are saved onto your PC on a large-screen TV. Using a Wi-Fi connection lets you connect devices anywhere in the house over a wireless network for the most flexible installation ever"

Now, looking at the US version of G20 Plasma manual, DLNA is not mentioned. And I can not find the EU manual for DMP-BD85, only a firmware update download. So, I don't know what the deal is.

Do the US consumers not get DLNA or are instructions to follow later? Using a USB keyboard would be nice as well :-).

I'll look for some more info later. Probably need to register my BD85 and then ring them up for support and ask them since 'they' said it has DLNA, HOW????

Bill
post #24 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 194
US models typically come with less features (like no DIVX on lower model and no PAL support).

Now can any of you owners comment on the power on time and disc load time?
post #25 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

i want it 'all'....pandora....

And Slacker. Seems like hardly anybody has that.
post #26 of 1874 Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

US models typically come with less features (like no DIVX on lower model and no PAL support).

Now can any of you owners comment on the power on time and disc load time?

Have you seen Winston's review? He was doing the big benchmarking thread here and then spun it off to his own blog.
http://winstonsreviews.com/?p=42
post #27 of 1874 Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 AM

post #28 of 1874 Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 AM

post #29 of 1874 Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

This article states the BD65 IS DLNA compliant, whatever that means:

"There is a USB connection on the front panel to allow for easy connection with a wireless LAN adaptor to online content such as VIERA CAST and BD-Live. It will also access music or photos stored on a thumb drive. There is however no DivX support. It is interesting to note that the DMP-BD65 is DLNA compliant, which means it will play nice with other similarly compliant devices over your home network."

I assume through the USB and SD card slots. I did see in my manual for the DMP-BD85 support for DivX and up to 120GB device over the USB. So, is this very limited DLNA?

Bill
post #30 of 1874 Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I picked up the panasonic 65 last night. I must say that I am impressed with it. pretty much winston was right. this model should have been released last year. its very fast for the most part, still a bit slow on the t2. but the other titles are pretty quick.
the PQ is much better as well. the netflix works nicely and no switching over to pcm or bitstream. that is nice. still has some of the problems from the 60/85.
have to contact panasonic about the bdlive. its not working. amazon on demand works as well.
anyone that has the 60/85. I would highly recommend it.
I will be happy to answer any questions if there is any?
I have it hooked up wired.
Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd65 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page