Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think most of these new players were rushed out as quickly as possible so consumers would start subscribing / buying VOD, etc.
If I knew LG was going to fix the BD playback issue soon with a fw update I'd probably take the Panasonic back and try it again, but
I'm skeptical to say the least.

...is you is, or is you ain't my constituency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 AM

I have read every post, but it appears no one here has "looked into" the BD590.

Does anyone know what physical size HDD the 590 uses, 2.5" or 3.5"? I'm very highly considering getting one of these and immediately upgrading the drive.

Does anyone know what format the audio ripping procedure saves files in? I'm specifically interested in what it's using for its lossless format.
post #273 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

I have a 590 and until this evening I have been happy with it. I have been reading all the posts here about troubles with BD disc playback and took note. While watching American Gangster the player briefly froze then started up several minutes ahead of where I was before the freeze. It did this five times. I have about two weeks left before my 30 day return policy at BB expires. Has anyone talked to LG about this issue? I have updated the firmware and don't know where to go from here. What do they have to say? If no one has called them then I will and I'll report here what they say.

I got an e-mail reply that they have "contacted our factory engineers who have stated nothing is known at this time, but they will be investigating the issue. As such we unfortunately do not have a know fix for this issue"

I also did a chat with LG, which was beyond bizarre. I was literally told "play another disc." I told them that was not helpful and the guy got pissed off and told me that it is well-documented problem with the disc "Up." I said I had not seen any other players have problems with that particular disc and the guy actually responds "Well, I have." And then he goes on to say that if doesn't play the disc at all, it is a player problem, if it plays the disc but locks up or skips it is a disc problem. I told him I thought LG would want to be aware of disc skips and locks, and he responded that they are not because it is a disc problem.

The guy was a complete tool.
post #274 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodabides View Post

Did these discs play all the way through without skipping or locking? For example, in Up, did the newsreel footage in the beginning play all the way through? I assumed it was a firmware issue (I did update mine) but now I wonder if I got a bad player. Can anyone else try these titles out?

I just got my BD570 from Amazon yesterday, and Up was the first BD I tried since it's been reported several times. Yes, in the middle of the newsreel footage it skipped ahead to chapter two.

Gonna play around with it some more before making a final judgment.
post #275 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^

On the menu in the player no format is given. You pick what you want to save at and one option is lossless. I didn't transfer any files to check and see what the format was. I returned my player over a week ago because I ran into the issue of chapter skipping playing Bluray's.

I've decided to fence sit for now and wait for the Toshiba players to come out. LG has great ideas and some very good interfaces but the quality and support have turned me off. I'm stuck with one defective LG Bluray player, I don't need another.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #276 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

I just got my BD570 from Amazon yesterday, and Up was the first BD I tried since it's been reported several times. Yes, in the middle of the newsreel footage it skipped ahead to chapter two.

Gonna play around with it some more before making a final judgment.

yeah, same thing happened here with Up. it skips at 1:03 and jumps to 2:34 (or somewhere like that). going to call LG right now.

Interesting, after speaking with the LG rep, he suggested that I try playing it with a USB stick inserted. If anyone is near their player and has a USB stick, and has Up, can you try this and see what happens?
post #277 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vksf01 View Post

yeah, same thing happened here with Up. it skips at 1:03 and jumps to 2:34 (or somewhere like that). going to call LG right now.

Interesting, after speaking with the LG rep, he suggested that I try playing it with a USB stick inserted. If anyone is near their player and has a USB stick, and has Up, can you try this and see what happens?

I had a USB thumb drive in it, with over 1GB of free space - I'd been testing avi file playback before trying UP blu-ray.
post #278 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I had a USB thumb drive in it, with over 1GB of free space - I'd been testing avi file playback before trying UP blu-ray.

ok, thanks. i didn't think it would work but i was willing to humour the cs rep
post #279 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
Just completed an online chat with a LG rep about the disc skipping issue. It has occured for me with discs I haven't heard mentioned yet. It skipped four times during American Gangster last night. The rep was no help at all. He started by telling me the discs are damaged. I informed him the disc were brand new and bought by me. He insists they haven't heard about this problem from anyone else and suggested I keep playing discs to see if it is really a problem. If it still occurs he will send me a repair order. Thanks for nothing. I'm gonna play as many discs as I can between now and my last day to return the unit. Hopefully I can read on this forum between now and then about how all these problems have been solved.
post #280 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

Just completed an online chat with a LG rep about the disc skipping issue. It has occured for me with discs I haven't heard mentioned yet. It skipped four times during American Gangster last night. The rep was no help at all. He started by telling me the discs are damaged. I informed him the disc were brand new and bought by me. He insists they haven't heard about this problem from anyone else and suggested I keep playing discs to see if it is really a problem. If it still occurs he will send me a repair order. Thanks for nothing. I'm gonna play as many discs as I can between now and my last day to return the unit. Hopefully I can read on this forum between now and then about how all these problems have been solved.

Good luck with LG support they are a JOKE!!!!!!
post #281 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Still haven't managed to fix the chapter skipping issue with "Up". It's exactly the same problem as everyone else mentioned: it will skip to the next chapter during the newsreel scene in exactly the same spot (among other chapter skipping elsewhere on the disc).

Firmware is the most recent version, we tried playing it with a USB stick plugged in, still same problem as others mentioned.

Since the little pop-up showing chapter positions shows up when the skip occurs, I'm led to believe that this is an actual chapter skip operation, and not something less well-defined. It occurred to me that there might be a very very slim chance that HDMI-CEC (or "Simplink" as LG seems to like to call it) could have something to do with this issue (perhaps a buggy implementation in the player or the TV, as chapter skipping is a supported HDMI-CEC operation), so we tried turning it off (on the TV, as apparently there is no way to turn it off in the player) and it didn't fix the problem. Can't imagine anything other than a firmware update fixing this now.

I tried the online chat with LG, and asked about potential in-development firmware for this player. The person didn't seem to know what I was talking about, didn't believe me when I explained to him that the Blu-ray player can connect to the Internet and obtain firmware updates, and insisted that software/firmware updates are "sent out on a CD" to all their customers. So, not helpful.

I sent a non-chat message to their support detailing the issue, and asking about firmware once again. I don't have high hopes, but if I get a useful response I'll post about it.
post #282 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

I wonder if anyone here has direct contacts with LG, rather than having to go through their CS Reps. The one I spoke to offered to give me an RMA to replace the unit. I said it didn't make any sense to replace a unit that had the same problem that everyone else seems to be having.
post #283 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazThePsychonaut View Post

Still haven't managed to fix the chapter skipping issue with "Up". It's exactly the same problem as everyone else mentioned: it will skip to the next chapter during the newsreel scene in exactly the same spot (among other chapter skipping elsewhere on the disc).

Firmware is the most recent version, we tried playing it with a USB stick plugged in, still same problem as others mentioned.

Since the little pop-up showing chapter positions shows up when the skip occurs, I'm led to believe that this is an actual chapter skip operation, and not something less well-defined. It occurred to me that there might be a very very slim chance that HDMI-CEC (or "Simplink" as LG seems to like to call it) could have something to do with this issue (perhaps a buggy implementation in the player or the TV, as chapter skipping is a supported HDMI-CEC operation), so we tried turning it off (on the TV, as apparently there is no way to turn it off in the player) and it didn't fix the problem. Can't imagine anything other than a firmware update fixing this now.

I tried the online chat with LG, and asked about potential in-development firmware for this player. The person didn't seem to know what I was talking about, didn't believe me when I explained to him that the Blu-ray player can connect to the Internet and obtain firmware updates, and insisted that software/firmware updates are "sent out on a CD" to all their customers. So, not helpful.

I sent a non-chat message to their support detailing the issue, and asking about firmware once again. I don't have high hopes, but if I get a useful response I'll post about it.

I have a 590 connected with component cables. I have no problem with UP (at least the first 10 mins. I haven't seen the whole movie).
post #284 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

I have a 590 connected with component cables. I have no problem with UP (at least the first 10 mins. I haven't seen the whole movie).

interesting, mine skips at 1:03, right at the beginning of the movie. can you connect it with hdmi and see if it happens? RazThePsychonaut might be on to something.

i also sent an email to LG support referencing the links on this topic. maybe they'll do something.
post #285 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

interesting, mine skips at 1:03, right at the beginning of the movie. can you connect it with hdmi and see if it happens? RazThePsychonaut might be on to something.

i also sent an email to LG support referencing the links on this topic. maybe they'll do something.

Sorry, if I could have I would have used HDMI in the first place. I only have DVI(HDCP) and component. I could try DVI but I don't think that's the same.
post #286 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM

No problems thusfar with Up. Just watched the first ten mins, and watched a good portion of the rest of the disc last night. I thought the skipping issue was further along in the movie. I have the player connected via HDMI directly to my tv in the br. It's an older Vizio LCD (from around 2005), and I'm not aware of a feature that links the machine and player as others have noted. I updated the firmware immediately after cracking the box. I did not actually have a USB drive connected to the port, but don't really see how that could be a factor. . .
post #287 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Ask LG next time if they can play copy protected disks? The skipping described sounds like the kind things you see when bad time codes are embedded in the video. The LG has to ignore the time codes and just play through them rather than trying to keep everything in the proper sequence. You guys should try complaining to Disney.
post #288 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:

ok, so i disconnected the hdmi and just plugged it directly using component. guess what? NO SKIPPING! so this has to be some kind of hdmi issue that Raz mentioned.

what now though?
post #289 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
review of 550 almost complete at winstonsreviews.com
post #290 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREwing View Post

It has already been established these players will stream MKV's over a network. Can anyone say if they are supposed to be able to stream MKV with lossless audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD?) Or an MKV with lossless audio from an attached USB hard drive for that matter?

Anybody figure this out yet?
post #291 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:

ok, so i disconnected the hdmi and just plugged it directly using component. guess what? NO SKIPPING! so this has to be some kind of hdmi issue that Raz mentioned.

what now though?

It seems the problem has been narrowed down a bit. Unfortunately, if CEC/"Simplink" is to blame, it can only be turned off half-way; our TV allows it to be shut off, but I didn't see an option in the player to disable it, so it's still technically open to accepting control signals. Maybe such an option exists in the service menu for the player, but I have no idea how to access it. It would be nice if they add an option to disable Simplink in the setup menu in a future firmware update (even if it's not the cause of the problem).

On the off-chance that we're all having this problem with the BD570 connected to the same brand and/or model of TV, ours is connected to a Samsung LN52A650, where CEC is called "Anynet+".
post #292 of 6388 Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:

It seems the problem has been narrowed down a bit. Unfortunately, if CEC/"Simplink" is to blame, it can only be turned off half-way; our TV allows it to be shut off, but I didn't see an option in the player to disable it, so it's still technically open to accepting control signals. Maybe such an option exists in the service menu for the player, but I have no idea how to access it. It would be nice if they add an option to disable Simplink in the setup menu in a future firmware update (even if it's not the cause of the problem).

On the off-chance that we're all having this problem with the BD570 connected to the same brand and/or model of TV, ours is connected to a Samsung LN52A650, where CEC is called "Anynet+".

Mine is connected to a Sony A3000 where i've got HDMI Control turned off. It's actually going through a Denon AVR989 where HDMI Control is also turned off. Yeah, if there were a way to shut it off on the LG this'd probably fix it.

Of course, the big question is what is it about UP that causes it to do this
post #293 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if anyone here has direct contacts with LG, rather than having to go through their CS Reps.

I have a very senior contact in Blu-ray R&D at LG in Seoul, I have made him aware of this thread.

- Talk

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #294 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

I have a very senior contact in Blu-ray R&D at LG in Seoul, I have made him aware of this thread.

- Talk

Thanks! Hopefully they'll figure out what's going on.
post #295 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

- Talk

Thanks, Talkst8t!

Quote:

And just to be sure I connected to BD Live from the UP disc menu last night, downloaded a trailer for Alice in Wonderland (very cool HD trailer available) and then tried playing the disc - same chapter skip. But you guys seem to be on to something with that HDMI control. I'll try turning it off in my Onkyo receiver & Panasonic AE4000 projector, but as vksf01 has it turned off in his receiver & TV, it probably will have no effect. The skipping with UP really isn't an issue for me as it plays perfectly on my Samsung BDP2500 (that everyone else seems to hate), I just want to make sure the BD570 is a keeper while I'm still in my return timeframe.
post #296 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:

- Talk

Thank you very much for doing that!

As a side note, I wonder how many other discs are out there that might have this specific problem in this player, and if it's potentially limited to a subset of BD-J titles like UP.
post #297 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'll try Up. Mine is a review copy (not sure that matters, may have been pressed a bit earlier than retail copies).
post #298 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Do the other discs that are having problems also have the chapter advance pop-up occur? (e.g. American Gangster)?
post #299 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
In American Gangster the screen just froze for about 2 seconds then advanced to the next chapter. Every time it was just a minute or two before the next chapter.There were no pop-ups or anything. I did hear some increased sound coming from the machine though. I don't know what it was, perhaps the disc spinning up? It happened three or four times druing the film. I hit rewind on the remote and went back to the point before the skip and it played through the previous skipped part without problems. I really just don't know what to do with this thing. I want to believe this is isolated to just a few discs. I've got two weeks to decide if to return or not. Perhaps I will return and rebuy later if LG ever gets their stuff straight. In my talks with LG nobody has even acknowledged a problem to me. Not the right way to solve problems like this.
post #300 of 6388 Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Same exact problem.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page