Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried searching this thread and believe I understand the capabilities of playing back an AVCHD folder, but I'd like to see if I am correct or not.

- If I have an AVCHD folder from my Canon M31 camcorder, I can play that folder back just fine.

- If I have a backup of a movie I haven't created that is in the AVCHD folder format, I will not be able to play it back just fine.

Am I correct in those two statements?

Finally - based on those two statements, would I have the option of just using the 570 to stream rather than copy to the actual hard drive of the 590?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
In archiving some more music CDs onto my BD590's hard drive, I noted the following performance problems (aka LG Quirks):

1. If I use a regular slash ( / ) in my new album name when I rename an album/folder, my 590 will just throw my new name away without storing it on the hard disk.

2. My unit's periodic inability to specify a recording destination folder name (e.g., adding the new CD to a pre-existing Jazz Folder) seems to be related to the source CD and not to any button errors on my part. Most of my CDs can be archived to any folder that I specify, but SOME of my commercial CDs will only be stored by the 590 in the Root Folder which contains, and is above the level of, my Jazz Folder.

3. When you install your BD590 in a cabinet make sure that you can remove its source of AC power, as that will be the only way you can recover from some of its software errors. During the CD Archiving process, my 590 has hung up several times and could not be powered off by its own AC On/Off button. I had to remove its AC power cord to get its attention; after it booted itself up, then it worked fine to record the same CDs that it had previously frozen up on.

BTW, my unit was built in January 2010 and is operating on Firmware level: BD.7.31.139.C
post #4143 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTVSteve View Post

BTW, my unit was built in January 2010 and is operating on Firmware level: BD.7.31.139.C

I suggest updating the firmware, you are several versions behind.
post #4144 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM

THX,

I have thought about updating my firmware, but really didn't want to mess with success too much. My observed glitches/performance quirks are really very minor and my unit operates nicely with a pretty slow DSL connection (around 1.2mbps per the Vudu.com speedtest); it also has great range with my Netgear Wireless N router. I don't want to lose any of that functionality.

I think I'll get a second BD590 to checkout the latest firmware. In case there are any setbacks, I can return the new unit.

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list of what bugs were fixed (and perhaps introduced) in each firmware version?
post #4145 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTVSteve View Post

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list of what bugs were fixed (and perhaps introduced) in each firmware version?

Here you go: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#F..._Release_Notes

Also, you can always downgrade your firmware if you want. However, I don't think your current firmware version has been made available for download anywhere.
post #4146 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro088 View Post

Hi all,

I've had this BD570 since early December and haven't had any problems with it (except for being unable to autoupdate over Christmas). I've used Netflix and Vudu with it, without any problem until earlier this week, when I turned on the BD570 to watch Netflix, went to the Netcast icon, and noticed that most of the icons/apps were suddenly missing. I now only have three apps, Youtube, Picasa, and the Accuweather app. Gone are Netflix, Vudu, and any of the other apps that used to be there (I'm forgetting now what else). The apps that remain do work, but are useless to me.

I've checked my network connection (ethernet), and it's good. The Blu-ray reports "success" on a network check. I've "initialized" the player back to factory defaults without any success as well as "deactivated" Netflix and Vudu, and still I don't see the missing Apps.

I have a BD550 upstairs, which is also connected via ethernet, and it continues to stream Netflix without so much as a hiccup.

Below are my software versions. Autoupdate reports no new versions available.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Main Ver: BD.8.31.325.C
Servo Ver: H80597 (H08SAN)

Strange. I went to update my H80586, but then once downloaded it prompted H80597 as you have listed above.

New icons are now included in my profile, MLB, Napster, and DIVXtv.

Nice updates!
post #4147 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM

First off, as my first post I just want to say hi and thanks to anyone who can help me with this issue!

So I bought a BD590 back when they first came out and loved it. About 4-5 months into it the laser went out and I replaced it at Best Buy for a new one a few days ago. The new one plays movies great, netflix works perfect, pandora, ect.

At first I had no problem accessing all my backed up movies on my PC through the CIFS login. I used my pc username and pc password to access an internal drive I had shared on the network dedicated only to movies. After 2-3 days the login stopped working all of a sudden and is in a constant loop. When I click my computer which is Dustin-PC it asks for CIFS. I type my Login/Password and it takes me back to the selct a homeshare screen. I go back to Dustin-PC and it asks for a CIFS again.

I've checked everything on my computer to make sure the network was in share mode, media sharing, and the drive itself was being shared and all of that checked out. I am really at a loss for what it may be. Any and all help would be most appreciated and sorry if this has been asked before, I have been searching for 2 days with no luck.
post #4148 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post

I watched Machette from Vudu a few nights back. It streamed really well at 1080p. No blocking problems at all, but I did have two small rebuffering issues towards the end. Overall, I was very pleased and impressed!

Aggreed!!! I watched the Town yesterday and I was really pleased with the video quailty over Wi-Fi. I thought it would begin to buffer at some point but it never did.
post #4149 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

You're positive that an external SRT with an AVI file (as in, a separate AVI file, and a separate SRT file) stream perfectly together over your DLNA network?

I know that it works fine with an MKV, but I can't get external subs over the network with AVI files. Only when I use my USB.

How did you get the MKV files to play? I have a 570. I placed an MKV of Inception on a thumb drive and the player does not see the file on my thumb drive.
post #4150 of 6395 Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin01123 View Post

Aggreed!!! I watched the Town yesterday and I was really pleased with the video quailty over Wi-Fi. I thought it would begin to buffer at some point but it never did.

Now if they'd only bring down their prices to be more competitive with Redbox's Blu-Ray offerings they may have a long term customer.
post #4151 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
I am having a heck of a time with my LG 550 bluray and the Mitsubishi
My guess is it has to do with the CEC and SimpLink compatibility.

PROBLEM: video jumps and cuts out whenever I try to remote control anything in the chain.
Xbox, LG Bluray, Tivo, Onkyo

Solution? shut off CEC or SimpLink

Need resolution:
Does anyone know if I can shut it off or by pass it anyhow?
All I can tell you is that you cannot shut it off in the player itself. I had to turn it off in my LG TV's settings.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #4152 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

Here you go: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#F..._Release_Notes

Also, you can always downgrade your firmware if you want. However, I don't think your current firmware version has been made available for download anywhere.

THX,

Thanks very much for the dexid.org link to show me the contents of many of the LG firmware downloads. It's very informative.

As you point out, I would not be able to go back to my fairly decent firmware level (at least for my simple needs) if anything goes haywire with these newer firmware files. That being said, I think I will stick with my original firmware level (it came with the January 2010 BD590 that I bought last March) and simply purchase another BD590 to see if any of my minor CD archiving glitches have been fixed. There is no mention of any firmware upgrades on dexid.org that address the glitches I have reported on.

It's also good to know that LG users can go back in time to an earlier version of firmware "if they suffered an enhancement" when downloading and installing the latest version of firmware.

I am planning to purchase my second BD590 once the BD690 starts arriving in distribution channels and we have some early user feedback on the BD690 performance and functionality. I'll have to be careful that I don't wait too long for my purchase because I expect the supply of the older BD590 units will dry up fairly quickly after the intro of the BD690.
post #4153 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 PM

I wanted to know if you can watch whats on TV while listning to the Media Player or a cd on the 590c?Instead of always having to have the music showing up on the screen?

Mind you I have it running through a Denon 689 that has a HDMI passthrough to a LG 42".It's all HDMI connected,it seams because there is 2 LG components the simplelink connects It seems like it takes over.I'm not sure if it is 590 problem or TV?When you are listning to music and you hit the TV input it shuts the music off or pauses it,anyway to get around it?

Thanks
post #4154 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post

Now if they'd only bring down their prices to be more competitive with Redbox's Blu-Ray offerings they may have a long term customer.

Agreed Once again
post #4155 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmcfarland View Post

First off, as my first post I just want to say hi and thanks to anyone who can help me with this issue!

So I bought a BD590 back when they first came out and loved it. About 4-5 months into it the laser went out and I replaced it at Best Buy for a new one a few days ago. The new one plays movies great, netflix works perfect, pandora, ect.

At first I had no problem accessing all my backed up movies on my PC through the CIFS login. I used my pc username and pc password to access an internal drive I had shared on the network dedicated only to movies. After 2-3 days the login stopped working all of a sudden and is in a constant loop. When I click my computer which is Dustin-PC it asks for CIFS. I type my Login/Password and it takes me back to the selct a homeshare screen. I go back to Dustin-PC and it asks for a CIFS again.

I've checked everything on my computer to make sure the network was in share mode, media sharing, and the drive itself was being shared and all of that checked out. I am really at a loss for what it may be. Any and all help would be most appreciated and sorry if this has been asked before, I have been searching for 2 days with no luck.

uninstall winlive messenger 2011 if u have it. your problem happened to me and only removing wlm 2011 fixed it. im stuck at wlm 2010 until lg fixes the incompatibility.

hope this helps
post #4156 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs_bunny01 View Post

uninstall winlive messenger 2011 if u have it. your problem happened to me and only removing wlm 2011 fixed it. im stuck at wlm 2010 until lg fixes the incompatibility.

hope this helps

Thanks for the response, however I do not believe this to be the problem as I do not have windows live messenger on the computer that the HDD is in. Anyone else have any ideas?
post #4157 of 6395 Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmcfarland View Post

Thanks for the response, however I do not believe this to be the problem as I do not have windows live messenger on the computer that the HDD is in. Anyone else have any ideas?

Do you have Windows Live Sign-in Assistant? It comes standard when you install certain things.
post #4158 of 6395 Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maris View Post

A workaround to this problem for LG DVD Recorders is renaming the playlist. Then another playlist can be created, which then again can be renamed, and so on. Maybe this works also with the BD590.

Thanks for the suggestion here but nope ... while I can rename no end of other music folders on the 590, I see no way to rename the playlist. I'm keen to read whether anyone has figured it our differently!

Newest complaint: I cannot copy songs from a CD to the HDD in the order that I would like; Gracenotes (I am rapidly learning to dislike Gracenotes) demands songs be copied just as they're recorded on the CD. That's fine most of the time, of course, but other times not.

Still, these gripes aside, I'm having fun with the 590. If only its music recording capabilities were more user friendly!
post #4159 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi,
All my hard drives are connected to a Seagate Freeagent Dockstar and are visible to the BD570.
In WFS mode it shows all the files.
In DLNA mode it shows the first 20 files.
How do we get to the next 20 files in BD570 or can we configure the Seagate Freeagent Dockstar to show all files at once.

Thanks
post #4160 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. The the 590's built-in hard drive has been described as storage for ripped CDs, but I want to use it to grab movies from my computer's hard drive and save it to the player's hard drive for later access or for playing when the wi-fi's spotty. Possible?

(Sorry if this has been answered before)
post #4161 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi. I just want to share my experience with the 550 and maybe ask if someone has gone through this and knows how to get videos playing from usb from it.

I live in Mexico but imported an american lg bd550. It's a great basic bluray player, I never expected it to play DivX / Xvids, so I can't really complain. But then I read somewhere that it *can* play those, it just has the functionality disabled. I also read that the english version of this player plays mkvs and xvids from usb just fine.

In an attempt to get my player to play videos from usb, I downloaded several firmwares from the LG UK site. I've flashed my 550 with various versions of it. Also, 3 different firmwares from the mexican LG site. (In Latin America, it's called a 560, but it uses the same firmware as the 550/570/590)

None of these did anything to get videos playing from usb. They just removed netflix and various other services. Now I only see accuweather, picasa and youtube. I don't really care about online services, I could live without them if it means playing mkvs from usb.

At this point I'm pretty sure the limitation is made somewhere in the hardware of the unit, since changing the firmware to the uk one didn't do anything to enable this. I'll still try the canadian firmwares tonight and (probably) report back tomorrow.
post #4162 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Does anyone know if the 570 can handle TrueHD in an MKV container (via DLNA)? I just made myfirst blu ray encode but the player says audio format not supported.
post #4163 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmonster View Post

I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. The the 590's built-in hard drive has been described as storage for ripped CDs, but I want to use it to grab movies from my computer's hard drive and save it to the player's hard drive for later access or for playing when the wi-fi's spotty. Possible?

(Sorry if this has been answered before)

Certainly. I would suggest using a USB hard drive to copy the movies you want from your computer's hard drive, connect the USB drive to the 590, and then copy them over. I have tried copying files wirelessly, but I found it to be slow and undependable.
post #4164 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdaly View Post

Does anyone know if the 570 can handle TrueHD in an MKV container (via DLNA)? I just made myfirst blu ray encode but the player says audio format not supported.

I think the answer to that one is "No." The 590 does not support TrueHD in an MKV, so I doubt that the 570 would. It should take DTS, however.
post #4165 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablokenfold View Post

Hi. I just want to share my experience with the 550 and maybe ask if someone has gone through this and knows how to get videos playing from usb from it.

I live in Mexico but imported an american lg bd550. It's a great basic bluray player, I never expected it to play DivX / Xvids, so I can't really complain. But then I read somewhere that it *can* play those, it just has the functionality disabled. I also read that the english version of this player plays mkvs and xvids from usb just fine.

In an attempt to get my player to play videos from usb, I downloaded several firmwares from the LG UK site. I've flashed my 550 with various versions of it. Also, 3 different firmwares from the mexican LG site. (In Latin America, it's called a 560, but it uses the same firmware as the 550/570/590)

None of these did anything to get videos playing from usb. They just removed netflix and various other services. Now I only see accuweather, picasa and youtube. I don't really care about online services, I could live without them if it means playing mkvs from usb.

At this point I'm pretty sure the limitation is made somewhere in the hardware of the unit, since changing the firmware to the uk one didn't do anything to enable this. I'll still try the canadian firmwares tonight and (probably) report back tomorrow.

The 550 does not playback video from usb, you need to upgrade to the 570 or 590 for that.
post #4166 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I have a bd570 and bought a usb external drive and want to copy some dvd+rw files recorded on a DVD recorder they have vob extension and the 570 wont play them from the usb. what is the best format to convert them to so they will play, I tried nero but the mpg file it created wouldnt play. Hopefully some one knows of a conversion program that will convert them or maybe do I just need different settings on Nero?
post #4167 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks, appreciate the reply. When you say undependable, do you mean, for example, when copying a large media file over to the 590 over wi-fi it'll sometimes crap out before completing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post

Certainly. I would suggest using a USB hard drive to copy the movies you want from your computer's hard drive, connect the USB drive to the 590, and then copy them over. I have tried copying files wirelessly, but I found it to be slow and undependable.

post #4168 of 6395 Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmonster View Post

Thanks, appreciate the reply. When you say undependable, do you mean, for example, when copying a large media file over to the 590 over wi-fi it'll sometimes crap out before completing?

I haven't had any trouble copying files to the BD590 via wireless.
post #4169 of 6395 Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggg View Post

I have a bd570 and bought a usb external drive and want to copy some dvd+rw files recorded on a DVD recorder they have vob extension and the 570 wont play them from the usb. what is the best format to convert them to so they will play, I tried nero but the mpg file it created wouldnt play. Hopefully some one knows of a conversion program that will convert them or maybe do I just need different settings on Nero?

This has been covered several times, but here goes:

Method 0: use an earlier version of the LG firmware that will allow .vob files to be played.

Method 1: rename all the .vob files to .mpg and they will play. There will be a brief pause as the player goes from one file to the next.

Method 2: concatenate all the .vob files to a single file with a .mpg extension. You can use the command prompt "e.g.: copy /b a.vob+b.vob+c.vob movie.mpg" command or an equivalent windows GUI utility like "JoinVobFiles.exe". The time stamps on the resultant file may be incorrect making it difficult to search forward or backward in the file (you can't FF/RW .mpg files.)

Method 3: use DGIndex 1.5.8 to de-mux the .vob files into separate primitive video and audio streams, then use MuxMan 0.16.8 to re-mux those back into .vob files, then follow Method 2. This usually regenerates all the time stamps correctly leaving you with a single file that will play.

Method 4: transcode the entire video to a different format (can be very time consuming.)
post #4170 of 6395 Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks. Is it possible to save network content over to a flash drive plugged into the unit's USB port as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini View Post

I haven't had any trouble copying files to the BD590 via wireless.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page