Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have downloaded the bad firmware....go to the lg site and download the update there. The problem is that the bad firmware deleted the MAC address. The firmware on the website adds the MAC address back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

Liked: 15
I updated my 570. I lost wireless, but plugged in to go the wired route. All of my 24hz problems appear to be resolved.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

All of my 24hz problems appear to be resolved.

Wow! Finally, eh!? Shame that this update will be short lived, since it appears to delete (or do something to block) the wireless MAC address! Now when the next update fixes that, the 24hz issues will return.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

Wow! Finally, eh!? Shame that this update will be short lived, since it appears to delete (or do something to block) the wireless MAC address! Now when the next update fixes that, the 24hz issues will return.

Is there any software changes with this update ? Newer Netflix interface ? Amazon on Demand ?

-Ken
Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Is there any software changes with this update ? Newer Netflix interface ? Amazon on Demand ?

-Ken

I don't even have to get the update to tell you 'No.' LG doesn't plan on updating their Netcast interface on the 2010 players.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

I don't even have to get the update to tell you 'No.'

Do you even have one of the players on this thread anymore? Thought you went to a 2011 model.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz1 View Post

Do you even have one of the players on this thread anymore? Thought you went to a 2011 model.

Correct. But, I have been speaking to the LG higher ups on a regular basis and they have said that Netcast will not be updated on the 2010 models. There's always a chance they are mistaken, or that things will change, but I really doubt it. They'd rather people go out and buy a new player than give things away for free.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 PM

Ok, based on my (45+ years Computer Systems Engineer experience) diagnosis of the current issue with the LG Blu-ray MLB.tv app not working, here is what happened: MLB.tv made a change in their digital video stream starting with 2011 spring training games. I conclude this because all pre-2011 games still play fine on my LG BD-570 with the previous software: version BD.8.31.323.C AND the update from today: BD.8.31.334.C (I use wired networking, so the breaking of Wi-Fi did not affect me). The spring training games did not play at all, and today's regular season games play for about 3 seconds and I then get the same message everyone else is getting: "Cannot connect to MLB.tv server...".

So, the conclusion is: MLB.tv made a coding change to there stream starting with spring training and LG neglected to update their app to accommodate it. They are BOTH at fault. This should have been fixed during the past 2 months. We, who have PAID for this service, should NOT have been denied the service we have PAID for on Baseball Opening Day!

I just got off the phone with LG support, and after several minutes of convincing the support person that there was a real problem, she checked with her supervisor and informed me that there would be a firmware upgrade in the next 2 days! We LG users should be refunded a pro-rated amount of our MLB.tv subscription for the service that we PAID for and was NOT PROVIDED!!!!Ok, based on my (45+ years Computer Systems Engineer experience) diagnosis of the current issue with the LG Blu-ray MLB.tv app not working, here is what happened: MLB.tv made a change in their digital video stream starting with 2011 spring training games. I conclude this because all pre-2011 games still play fine on my LG BD-570 with the previous software: version BD.8.31.323.C AND the update from today: BD.8.31.334.C (I use wired networking, so the breaking of Wi-Fi did not affect me). The spring training games did not play at all, and today's regular season games play for about 3 seconds and I then get the same message everyone else is getting: "Cannot connect to MLB.tv server...".

So, the conclusion is: MLB.tv made a coding change to there stream starting with spring training and LG neglected to update their app to accommodate it. They are BOTH at fault. This should have been fixed during the past 2 months. We, who have PAID for this service, should NOT have been denied the service we have PAID for on Baseball Opening Day!

I just got off the phone with LG support, and after several minutes of convincing the support person that there was a real problem, she checked with her supervisor and informed me that there would be a firmware upgrade in the next 2 days! We LG users should be refunded a pro-rated amount of our MLB.tv subscription for the service that we PAID for and were NOT PROVIDED!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Liked: 14
BD550 here downloading and installing now, actually just finished installing, testing now, will report back later.

New version # 8.31.334.C

Servo# H80602
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 PM

Liked: 32
Well...there goes your wi-fi. Didn't you read the forum BEFORE you downloaded?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Well...there goes your wi-fi. Didn't you read the forum BEFORE you downloaded?

Ahem... BD550... No Wifi to worry about here.

Anyway, still have to find a BD I know skipped before, most we're Netflix BD's, see zero changes to the netcast stuff, not suprised there. I'll be perfectly happy to just have the 24hz crap fixed.

Update: Ok, didn't get to test a known skipper yet, had a Netflix BD to watch with the family tonight, Ramona and Beezus, played just fine straight through @ 24hz, although it may have been fine anyway, who knows? Cute film btw.

Tested out Netflix, worked perfectly as usual.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimelabguy View Post

If you have downloaded the bad firmware....go to the lg site and download the update there. The problem is that the bad firmware deleted the MAC address. The firmware on the website adds the MAC address back in.

The only firmware on the website is 323C; there is no 334C or anything later (i.e.: fixed what 334C broke) there!

Where are you seeing this update?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:

.334 is BAD. DO NOT DOWNLOAD! You will LOSE Wi-Fi!!! READ POST #4581!!!

So I screwed up last night and downloaded .334.C to my BD570 without reading the forum - now the WiFi is gone.

I want to load up the previous SW via CD, but I notice two zip files at the LG site for 323.C (one for Win98, one for WinXP). Our computer is an iMac, so does it matter which one of these files I extract and burn to CD? And do I assume correctly that I should use only one of them, and not both?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but ALL of my previous updates have been through the WiFi, which has never been a problem. Haven't done a CD update before.

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBass View Post

So I screwed up last night and downloaded .334.C to my BD570 without reading the forum - now the WiFi is gone.

I want to load up the previous SW via CD, but I notice two zip files at the LG site for 323.C (one for Win98, one for WinXP). Our computer is an iMac, so does it matter which one of these files I extract and burn to CD? And do I assume correctly that I should use only one of them, and not both?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but ALL of my previous updates have been through the WiFi, which has never been a problem. Haven't done a CD update before.

Thank you!

I successfully downgraded the SW back to 323.C, and WiFi is back. Turns out I did need both files on the CD, and also turns out that the CD had to be created with a PC. The 570 didn't do anything with the CD I burned on the iMac. Luckily we had a PC in the house that we weren't using anymore. Crazy.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

The only firmware on the website is 323C; there is no 334C or anything later (i.e.: fixed what 334C broke) there!

Where are you seeing this update?

there is no update on the site but probably go back to 323C will fix the wifi
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM

When I was on LGs site. I noticed that the 570 shows discontinued, I wonder if that means no more updates
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM

I contacted LG support on this - she said they were aware, and to go to the site and download and install - that will revert to 323.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM

I stupidly trusted LG and installed the malicious "334.C" firmware update and I've lost Wifi.

The trouble is that I cannot revert the firmware to 332 no matter what I do.

I have downloaded and unzipped the files and put them on the root directory of an otherwise empty USB. Then I followed the instructions---turned off the Blu Ray, waited for home screen, then put USB in. It sees the USB, but no firmware screen comes up. Instead I get the screen asking for movies, music, or picture. If I try to browe to the files this way I just get an empty folder called "vault."

Then I tried burning these same files to a DVD. Again, I followed directions. When I put the disc in a get a very brief "Data" icon and then it reverts to the home screen. No firmware menu ever comes up.

LG says that will send a downgrade disc that will take 7-9 business days to arrive. But why should I depend on that to work? Won't it just be the same two files burned on a disc?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

This update sounds like a bad April Fools joke. "The 24hz problem is fixed!" BANG! No more WiFi. Well, it's nice to see that they haven't given up on these players and were committed to fixing the 24hz issue (thanks, Broadcom), but it's a shame that after all of the problems us LG users have had, that the firmware still hasn't been thoroughly tested before being released.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I just now burned the two files, after unzipping them, onto a CD. It worked, back to 323
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM

I own the LG BD560 and the firmware version BD.8.31.332C caused skipping problems on both Robin Hood and Toy Story 3

I phoned LG who were very helpful, they took the details of the problem and passed them on to their engineering dept.

Recently downloaded version BD.8.31.334C and both Robin Hood and Toy Story 3 work perfectly. Sadly, Toy Story no longer works. I place the disc into the machine, the language screen pops up, press English and the screen goes blank and that's it.

Phoned up LG again today, informed them that Robin Hood and Toy Story 3 work fine now except for Toy Story no longer works.

In my opinion, all these problems stem from BD Live because it always seems that discs containing BD live are giving me the most problems
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM

I managed to revert my BD560 back to the old firmware. I downloaded the zip file, unzipped and placed the two rom files into the root directory of my USB flash drive, turned on my Blu-ray player and plugged in the flash drive and the player picked up the old firmware automatically and classed it as an update.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherflot View Post

I have downloaded and unzipped the files and put them on the root directory of an otherwise empty USB. Then I followed the instructions---turned off the Blu Ray, waited for home screen, then put USB in. It sees the USB, but no firmware screen comes up. Instead I get the screen asking for movies, music, or picture. If I try to browe to the files this way I just get an empty folder called "vault."

Then I tried burning these same files to a DVD. Again, I followed directions. When I put the disc in a get a very brief "Data" icon and then it reverts to the home screen. No firmware menu ever comes up.

I am having this exact same problem. Tried placing the 2 files on 2 different blank USB flash drives, as well as burning the files to 2 different blank CD's and a blank DVD. Nothing ever pops up as it is shown in the firmware upgrade instructions from LG's website.

If anyone has any ideas or info it would be immensely appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM

I can confirm that the new firmware (.334c) fixed the 24Hz issue with Watchmen. i can also confirm that wireless is indeed broken, my played is hard wired so it's not an issue for me. I have a US BD570.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhen View Post

I am having this exact same problem. Tried placing the 2 files on 2 different blank USB flash drives, as well as burning the files to 2 different blank CD's and a blank DVD. Nothing ever pops up as it is shown in the firmware upgrade instructions from LG's website.

If anyone has any ideas or info it would be immensely appreciated.

I cant help with why the DVDs/CDs wont work but, I would make sure the USB drives are Fat32 not NTFS sometimes devices are picky any way worth a check
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:

.334 is BAD. DO NOT DOWNLOAD! You will LOSE Wi-Fi!!! READ POST #4581!!!

Too late. Thanks though.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLuciano View Post

Ok, based on my (45+ years Computer Systems Engineer experience) diagnosis of the current issue with the LG Blu-ray MLB.tv app not working, here is what happened: MLB.tv made a change in their digital video stream starting with 2011 spring training games. I conclude this because all pre-2011 games still play fine on my LG BD-570 with the previous software: version BD.8.31.323.C AND the update from today: BD.8.31.334.C (I use wired networking, so the breaking of Wi-Fi did not affect me). The spring training games did not play at all, and today's regular season games play for about 3 seconds and I then get the same message everyone else is getting: "Cannot connect to MLB.tv server...".

I just got off the phone with LG support, and after several minutes of convincing the support person that there was a real problem, she checked with her supervisor and informed me that there would be a firmware upgrade in the next 2 days! We LG users should be refunded a pro-rated amount of our MLB.tv subscription for the service that we PAID for and was NOT PROVIDED!!!!

Anyone else have this problem? I'm having the exact same difficulty: fires up for about 3-5 seconds of the game, then shuts down with a "Cannot connect to MLB.TV server." I'm still on 323.C. I called tech support, they told me they didn't have any problems with MLB (or so my tech guy said), so he had me reset my system, check to make sure my port 80 and 443 were open, etc.

Really annoyed at the moment.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Liked: 32
EVERYBODY with the 5xx series is screwed. MLB changed some streaming and didn't let LG know about it. AN attorney has been sought and is looking into MLB.TV's scam as 2 opening days were ruined for thousands of subscribers. Head over to MLB.TV forums and see the uproar.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 View Post

Final Update
Spoke to Eric at LG finally and he basically indicated that the service center identified that there is a problem. However because that service center has other brands of players there that also have issues with this movie LG will NOT be issuing a firmware update to fix the issue. Instead what I have to do is return the player to the store I purchased it from and THEY will deal with LG's warranty department assuming they are an authorize reseller and then I should end up with another model of player that IS compatible with that movie.

So it turns out that isn't really the final update on this matter.

The issue if anyone can't remember is that BD570s simply can't play Terminator 2: Skynet Edition. That movie put in a 570 will cause it to turn off. I've seen it happen on 3 players in person and I've gotten a message from another user on this forum who has the same issue. I have seen the movie play in a variety of other players, different models from LG and other manufacturers. It's the only blu-ray version of T2 worth buying, the picture quality is a clear improvement from the other release.

A few weeks back in March I decided I'd give LG one last call about this issue. This time I managed to yell my way up the food chain to someone that actually listened. This manager person had me send my BD570 and the blu-ray of Terminator 2: Skynet Edtion to LG, LG paid for the shipping. Once they received it tech support told her they FINALLY were able to reproduce the problem. This says to me that they never did test this issue properly before, they must have been using the original blu-ray of T2 or a different model of player, IF they ever bothered with any testing with this movie..

Anyway after several days of waiting they presented me with the solution, which is they are replacing my BD570 with a BD670. At this point I know two other people with the same problem and this woman at LG is insisting we send in their 570s asap, which thankfully LG is also paying for.

So to everyone that owns this movie and a BD570 the solution is simple tell them you are having the same issue I was and insist that you get the same thing done. Make them replace your defective 570 with a 670 that can actually play this movie.

Totally ridiculous that it took this long for a solution. When I do finally have to buy another player it's not going to be an LG.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 AM

whats the difference between firmware versions with the naming convention like bd.8.31.323c and the ones bd5.084.00

im in norway and have a 550. im still using the software version that was installed when i bought the machine (have had no problems with any disc including ones mentioned as troublesome- alien set, up, toy story3)

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com