Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6395 Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msp203 View Post

My bad. I never looked closely at our Ponyo box. My wife told me she had gotten the blu-ray version. I checked the box (which is blue) and realize it's just standard DVD.

Our "UP" disc is standard DVD also.

No problem! At least we know that the skipping happens with all 570s. I think the unit just has problems playing @ 24Hz in general. Just played another movie which skipped, this one was Walk Hard. So far, it's been 4 for 4, every single blu-ray disc I've played skips while on 24Hz, but not at 60Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vksf01 View Post

No problem! At least we know that the skipping happens with all 570s. I think the unit just has problems playing @ 24Hz in general. Just played another movie which skipped, this one was Walk Hard. So far, it's been 4 for 4, every single blu-ray disc I've played skips while on 24Hz, but not at 60Hz.

Hate to sound like a rube here but what is the difference when watching on the TV between 24 & 60? Is one better then the other? Also I "assume" (hate to do that) youre referring to the frame rate.
Thanks!
post #543 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRUI View Post

Hate to sound like a rube here but what is the difference when watching on the TV between 24 & 60? Is one better then the other? Also I "assume" (hate to do that) youre referring to the frame rate.
Thanks!

The short version is that film runs at 24fps, while video runs at 60fps (at least NTSC, and at multiples of that). So by watching it at 24, you recreate the frame rate of the theater.

Here's a longer explanation a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
post #544 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

The short version is that film runs at 24fps, while video runs at 60fps (at least NTSC, and at multiples of that). So by watching it at 24, you recreate the frame rate of the theater.

Here's a longer explanation a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Thanks vksf01! Good info, I guess what was throwing me was some folks placing "Hz" after 24 or 60 versus "fps". Sounds like most folks would prefer watching at the 24 fps rate thus why LG needs to get this figured out:-)
post #545 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Hey All:

If you don't remember I had an issue viewing BD, picture was grainy (I thinking I said like sand) and such, I went out got a new 10.5G cable and did a calibration with a BD disc.

The picture is pretty good, but my family agrees that BD quality it mostly hype! Sorry not trying to offend anyone, as we know the quality from VHS (analog) to DVD (digital), the jump is huge compared to that of DVD to BD. Just my observation.

My last problem, which ultimately has caused me to return this fine player, after three weeks, I've tried to get this system working, but think I don't understand the mechanics of it all.

I think I am experiencing skips, but not as great as some of you. Only a few frames or as I would put it, a hesitation in the playback, it does not happen all the time (just most of the time), but I can almost command it to happen by issuing a previous chapter command from the remote. It does happen on its own a lot, the video does not seem to play smoothly.

I have tried both HDMI and component, I read about some HDMI issues causing hesitations and the solution was to go to component, but it happens there to, so I'm forced to believe its a buffering issue. Only BD as the issue, netflex streaming is fine and DVD's are fine, I think.

My setup is a Hitachi 42HDX99, 1080i resolution and the LG is setup to transmit 1080i.

Just wondering, trying to understand what I'm seeing.

Thanks
-paul
post #546 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRUI View Post

Thanks vksf01! Good info, I guess what was throwing me was some folks placing "Hz" after 24 or 60 versus "fps". Sounds like most folks would prefer watching at the 24 fps rate thus why LG needs to get this figured out:-)

yeah, one of the big selling points of the HD formats was that it was able to recreate the frame rates of its source, plus with the majority of TVs being able to handle it (120Hz, 240Hz, etc), it's pretty bad that this (theoretically) basic functionality doesn't work!
post #547 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 PM

I bought a LG BD570 about two weeks ago and have not had any issues at all. I even hooked it up to my network to see if I would have any problems like some of you have been having. Again no issues at all. I have installed three firmware upgrades on it since I bought it and those went smooth as well. Just thought I would post that not everybody is having these issues. Could it be your computer configuration causing your networking problems?

Anyway I could not be happier with this player.
Netflix works flawless on this player much better then using the xbox for netflix.
post #548 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 View Post

I bought a LG BD570 about two weeks ago and have not had any issues at all. I even hooked it up to my network to see if I would have any problems like some of you have been having. Again no issues at all. I have installed three firmware upgrades on it since I bought it and those went smooth as well. Just thought I would post that not everybody is having these issues. Could it be your computer configuration causing your networking problems?

Anyway I could not be happier with this player.
Netflix works flawless on this player much better then using the xbox for netflix.

Nice feedback, if you can provide us with a serial number, its a good benchmark.

My issue maybe more of a refresh rate / pull down issue, I'm still researching, but I took my player back as to take the presure off.
post #549 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
Other than a minor HDMI interface glitch between my Sony 52W3000 LCD TV and the BD590 (described in some earlier posts), my wife and I are completely pleased with the BD590's flawless performance so far on the following performance areas/features:

Playback of several BD disks
Playback of lots of standard DVDs (no glitches yet of any type)
Lots of archived CDs (record and playback)
Pandora Internet Radio (this is a super feature/service)
Gracenotes on-line identification/titling feature for CDs
Zoom performance on DVDs
Picture and sound quality (must use RCA cables for audio CDs, though)
Wi-Fi range and throughput (setup was also very easy)
On-line weather reports (Accuweather)
YouTube performance (tested OK, but not extensively used so far)

I am using 60HZ DVD playback and running with the original firmware and don't plan to mess with success for now...
post #550 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Like the earlier post by 24 I also have had no issues with the 570. I have had it about 3 weeks, and use it every day. I watch all bd on 24mhz and nothing has skipped or stalled. Wireless set up took about 3 minutes and the netflix is fine. Like the post by 24 I have updated firmware 3 times since purchase.
post #551 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Has it been confirmed that you can download VUDU movies to the internal HD ? If so, how long can you store them ?
post #552 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Ok i was looking at the samy c6500 and the LG bd570. I went with the LG and couldnt be happier. it hooked up to my wifi network in 2 seconds [literally] and netflix was playing in a minute more. the blue ray dvd portion looks amazing. I also wanted the youtube app which is great and better then the one i had on my samy tv [but it was a lemon] so it went back. i like the LG app better.

i tried some divx and mp3 files i had played on a usb stick played flawlessly.

i do have one question though. does anyone use the pc connection to stream media to the BD570? Do I need to install the nero MediaHome 4 Essentials software that it came with and if so does it work and is it any good?

THANKS!
post #553 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchickinHD View Post

Like the earlier post by 24 I also have had no issues with the 570. I have had it about 3 weeks, and use it every day. I watch all bd on 24mhz and nothing has skipped or stalled. Wireless set up took about 3 minutes and the netflix is fine. Like the post by 24 I have updated firmware 3 times since purchase.

What's the manufacture date on your unit? Also, are you connecting through HDMI?
post #554 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Just purchased the 570 yesterday. Wifi was easy to connect but then I've just encountered problem after problem. First, not crazy with the dlna supplied with the nero disk, and was having so many problems with tversity playing back subtitled avis through xbox 360, but after trying two other dlna apps, i went back to tversity.
startup on avi file streaming is slower than through xbox which is hard to believe. fw and rr do not work on any avi files i've played, which is worse than the horrible rw and fw on xbox 360, but at least i was able to go back or forward sometimes. subtitled avis or dvixs, whether hard-coded or placed in file folder with same file name, do not play subtitles. streaming quality seems worse than on xbox. also, was hoping i wouldn't have to use a media server like tversity when i bought the 570, but when i enabled sharing of media files i stream this cifs window opened prompting me for a password to enable me to access shared files, but i have no passwords anywhere on pc so i don't know how to bypass that.

any help anyone can offer before i go back to J&R to return this? i love the idea but not the results. thanks.
post #555 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSantangelo View Post

Hey All:

If you don't remember I had an issue viewing BD, picture was grainy (I thinking I said like sand) and such, I went out got a new 10.5G cable and did a calibration with a BD disc.

The picture is pretty good, but my family agrees that BD quality it mostly hype! Sorry not trying to offend anyone, as we know the quality from VHS (analog) to DVD (digital), the jump is huge compared to that of DVD to BD. Just my observation.

My last problem, which ultimately has caused me to return this fine player, after three weeks, I've tried to get this system working, but think I don't understand the mechanics of it all.

I think I am experiencing skips, but not as great as some of you. Only a few frames or as I would put it, a hesitation in the playback, it does not happen all the time (just most of the time), but I can almost command it to happen by issuing a previous chapter command from the remote. It does happen on its own a lot, the video does not seem to play smoothly.

I have tried both HDMI and component, I read about some HDMI issues causing hesitations and the solution was to go to component, but it happens there to, so I'm forced to believe its a buffering issue. Only BD as the issue, netflex streaming is fine and DVD's are fine, I think.

My setup is a Hitachi 42HDX99, 1080i resolution and the LG is setup to transmit 1080i.

Just wondering, trying to understand what I'm seeing.

Thanks
-paul

Paul,

How far do you sit back from you TV? I bet the reason why you don't see any difference on your TV is you sit too far back.

For a TV that size, THX recommends a seating distance of just under 5 feet. I bet you sit twice that distance away which is why you can't see a difference.

On my front projector and 88" diagonal screen (76.5" wide) I sit 10 feet back, which is almost exactly the recommended distance (9.8 feet) and the difference between Blu-ray and DVD is simply amazing. If I move back to 20 feet, Blu-ray looks slightly better and if I go to 25 feet, I wouldn't want to make a bet on which one was Blu-ray versus DVD...both look excellent.

Here's a great site to see what I'm talking about: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Best,

David

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #556 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanloral View Post

Just purchased the 570 yesterday. Wifi was easy to connect but then I've just encountered problem after problem. First, not crazy with the dlna supplied with the nero disk, and was having so many problems with tversity playing back subtitled avis through xbox 360, but after trying two other dlna apps, i went back to tversity.
startup on avi file streaming is slower than through xbox which is hard to believe. fw and rr do not work on any avi files i've played, which is worse than the horrible rw and fw on xbox 360, but at least i was able to go back or forward sometimes. subtitled avis or dvixs, whether hard-coded or placed in file folder with same file name, do not play subtitles. streaming quality seems worse than on xbox. also, was hoping i wouldn't have to use a media server like tversity when i bought the 570, but when i enabled sharing of media files i stream this cifs window opened prompting me for a password to enable me to access shared files, but i have no passwords anywhere on pc so i don't know how to bypass that.

any help anyone can offer before i go back to J&R to return this? i love the idea but not the results. thanks.

click on the shared server name from Nero not the folder share from the pc.

just went through the same thing.
post #557 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Any possibility of ISO file play?

Can't get to play video_ts like dvd with menus.
post #558 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Paul,

How far do you sit back from you TV? I bet the reason why you don't see any difference on your TV is you sit too far back.

For a TV that size, THX recommends a seating distance of just under 5 feet. I bet you sit twice that distance away which is why you can't see a difference.

On my front projector and 88" diagonal screen (76.5" wide) I sit 10 feet back, which is almost exactly the recommended distance (9.8 feet) and the difference between Blu-ray and DVD is simply amazing. If I move back to 20 feet, Blu-ray looks slightly better and if I go to 25 feet, I wouldn't want to make a bet on which one was Blu-ray versus DVD...both look excellent.

Here's a great site to see what I'm talking about: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Best,

David

Hey David;

Thanks for the message back, I sit 7 feet away. I'm going to check that link out.
post #559 of 6395 Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 View Post

click on the shared server name from Nero not the folder share from the pc.

just went through the same thing.

don't understand how that answers any of my questions. i accessed the nero media server. it was slower than shite.

any help, please?
post #560 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:

don't understand how that answers any of my questions. i accessed the nero media server. it was slower than shite.

any help, please?

Quote:

when i bought the 570, but when i enabled sharing of media files i stream this cifs window opened prompting me for a password to enable me to access shared files, but i have no passwords anywhere on pc so i don't know how to bypass that.

like i said b4 click on the shared server name from Nero not the folder share from the pc. dont click on the pc file go into the nero folder name and it wont prompt you for a password
post #561 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:

What's the manufacture date on your unit? Also, are you connecting through HDMI?

Mine is January 2010 and yes I use HDMI.
post #562 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Mine is January 2010 and yes I use HDMI.

strange. have you tried Up blu-ray? it's the one that's been consistently giving everyone problems.

you might have the only player that doesn't have any issues!
post #563 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:

strange. have you tried Up blu-ray? it's the one that's been consistently giving everyone problems.

you might have the only player that doesn't have any issues!

I have never tried the movie UP!
I think someone that posted shortly before or after me hasn't had problems either. I also don't use an audio system or use the player for any of the less popular codecs/formats and burned media.
post #564 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM

so, can anyone help me with why i can't use forward or rewind on avi files played through the 570? and also why no subs are showing??
post #565 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I have never tried the movie UP!
I think someone that posted shortly before or after me hasn't had problems either. I also don't use an audio system or use the player for any of the less popular codecs/formats and burned media.

Actually it turned out that the person who didn't have the problem with Up was using the DVD instead of the BD.

So is your player connected directly to the TV through HDMI?
post #566 of 6395 Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Actually it turned out that the person who didn't have the problem with Up was using the DVD instead of the BD.

So is your player connected directly to the TV through HDMI?

My player is connected to my TV directly with a $7 hdmi cable.
post #567 of 6395 Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 AM

i bought the LG BD570 player and love it but one thing i hate is i cannot leave the running time of the movie on screen because the display of info is obtrusive and takes up half the screen!

anyone know of a comparable player to the lg that would show running time that can be left up the entire time you watch the movie?

thanks in advance!
post #568 of 6395 Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:

i bought the LG BD570 player and love it but one thing i hate is i cannot leave the running time of the movie on screen because the display of info is obtrusive and takes up half the screen!

anyone know of a comparable player to the lg that would show running time that can be left up the entire time you watch the movie?

thanks in advance!

The player shows how many minutes have passed and the box of the movie shows how long the movie is.
post #569 of 6395 Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:

The player shows how many minutes have passed and the box of the movie shows how long the movie is.

thanks!

i know the player does show it but its too small for me. from where i sit to where the player is showing the elapsed time.
post #570 of 6395 Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:

thanks!

i know the player does show it but its too small for me. from where i sit to where the player is showing the elapsed time.

OK then press the pause button, look at how much movie is left then press the big triangle to get rid of it on the screen.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page