AVS Forum banner
2M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  Jackie78 
#1 ·
The BD550/BD570 are hitting stores now (2/23/2010), and hopefully the BD590 in a few weeks. Please post any impressions here.

What all three models feature:

VuDu (Previously a BD390 exclusive)

Netflix (Updated Version of Software which now includes Genres and Categories)

Pandora (NEW to this years model!)

CinemaNow

YouTube

Picasa Web Albums

AccuWeather

All Internally decode TrueHD and DTS MA (Lossless)

All Profile 2.0 out of the box

What they don't Feature (as of right now; unknown if ever):

3D Unknown if any of these players will be upgradeable via Firmware to 3D capable. LG ha snot said either way.

5.1/7.1 Analog Outs (the now discontinued BD390 does, however)

Individual Specs

BD550 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Blu-ray and DVD Disc Playback

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# Superior Audio Performance

# Express Reaction Startup

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD570 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD590 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Media Library (Built-in 250GB Harddrive)
# Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

(Work in Progress)

See less See more
#453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD /forum/post/18345865

Several.

I'm a movie reviewer and can't have a player that only plays certain movies (either at all or skips). 2 unreleased Pixar movies didn't work well for me and I had to bust out my BD390 I still (thankfully) had to watch them. I even watched Fantastic Mr Fox yesterday and it froze when I hit the Menu button (it pixelated and duplicated the end credits over the menu, WTF?).

MKV (various) froze on me three times at the 42ish minute mark.

Menu is very sluggish

Remote is sluggish

Internal HD cannot be used to store VuDu rentals (for guaranteed HDX quality)

Not a fan of the remote

USB port is 'blocked' out by the faceplate

Problems with DVDs pixelating, not loading (it refused to load a double-sided DVD - had to try it three times for it to load - played fine in my $99 Insignia).

It'll probably be a great player in 3-4 months, but I'm not waiting that long.

Yep, I'm returning my BD570. I was so excited at finally at finally being able to watch & understand my copy of 9 Rota / The 9th Company, a Russian movie about the Afghan war. It's only been released in Germany on blu-ray, with only German subtitles. Made an MKV file with the original Russian DTS Master Audio, re-mux it with English subtitles, copy it to an external USB drive, and sit down to enjoy. I'm really getting into the move, fantastic video & audio quality, and the 570 craps out on it right around the 42 minute mark.
Once it crapped out on it, it would only play a minute or two of it before crapping out again. Printed the Amazon return label this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolian /forum/post/18345951

I have read so much of this thread tonight but im so tired I may have missed something. Im still a little confused as to the network playback abilities....

Can anyone clear something up for me?

Will the player access shared folders on the network (eg on my PC or NAS) with no streaming server software required?

So for example, in Windows, i simply share a folder with media files and the 570 will see the share and play the files?

Cheers

No, you need to install the provided Nero MediaHome software with DLNA.

#454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolian /forum/post/18345951

I have read so much of this thread tonight but im so tired I may have missed something. Im still a little confused as to the network playback abilities....

Can anyone clear something up for me?

Will the player access shared folders on the network (eg on my PC or NAS) with no streaming server software required?

So for example, in Windows, i simply share a folder with media files and the 570 will see the share and play the files?

Cheers

Yes you can stream directly off of XP and Win7 without installing Nero Mediahome, I have done this without problems. The plus for installing Nero is that it will transcode formats the unit can't play into formats the unit can play.

-Ken

#455 ·
I've found no information whether the player is capability to play WMV in 1080p. Someone reported "issues" with HD WMV. Can anyone provide details - thanks!

I would also like to know whether the 570 supports cueing in m2ts files played from a USB HDD - the 390 did not.

#456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy /forum/post/18346024

Yep, I'm returning my BD570. I was so excited at finally at finally being able to watch & understand my copy of 9 Rota / The 9th Company, a Russian movie about the Afghan war. It's only been released in Germany on blu-ray, with only German subtitles. Made an MKV file with the original Russian DTS Master Audio, re-mux it with English subtitles, copy it to an external USB drive, and sit down to enjoy. I'm really getting into the move, fantastic video & audio quality, and the 570 craps out on it right around the 42 minute mark.
Once it crapped out on it, it would only play a minute or two of it before crapping out again. Printed the Amazon return label this morning.

No, you need to install the provided Nero MediaHome software with DLNA.

A reboot and than skipping to the 42 minute mark fixes the issue for me with MKVs. But screw it - there should be NO ISSUE. This is a 5th generation unit from LG.

#458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur /forum/post/18347208

Question

Does this player support 1080i/50hz Blu Ray discs? In other words UK imports.

Just to clarify - a few UK imports. I tried Max Manus Man of War and it played fine, my projector reported receiving 1080p50. But it doesn't convert it to 60Hz, and most US TV sets can't accept 50Hz input.

#460 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for their input on this player (the good and the bad). I was considering the BD 570 and the Sony 570 and I think we're going with the Sony.

Thanks again and I hope LG fixes the issues.

#461 ·
this is really annoying! i'm just waiting until they get the bugs out of these new units. i was hoping to get the sony or lg but both seem to have compatibility or other issues right now. the industry is really hurting itself by putting out these boxes that aren't ready for primetime yet....i guess i will just keep waiting!

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/18295059

My parents just bought a brand new 550, hooked it up for them. The player is really fast, probably just as quick as my 60GB PS3, though it froze on The Rock, it gets through the previews but freezes just as the animation in the main menu kicks in. I had to unplug the player.

Manufacturers should get the kinks out of the standalones (or should Blu-ray kick the kinks out of the format in terms of unified universal standard?), I'd be willing to pay more for standalones that deliver the performance of the virtually bulletproof PS3.

At least the glitches with HD DVD usually didn't allow you to watch a movie at all.

I have the same problem with my BD570 and the Rock movie freezing up at the animation of main menu, the only way I was able to watch it was to use my PS3.

#464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt /forum/post/18346261

Yes you can stream directly off of XP and Win7 without installing Nero Mediahome, I have done this without problems. The plus for installing Nero is that it will transcode formats the unit can't play into formats the unit can play.

-Ken

When transcoding, if the media has 6.1 audio does it get sent to the unit or downmixed to stereo?

#465 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSantangelo /forum/post/18344790

Hey all:

I could use some suggestions...

I just purchase the LG BD-590. I'll just get to it, the video quality just, well sucks!!

I'm sorry, I guess perhaps I've been spoiled, the up scaler in my set (Plasma 42HDX99) is a really good one and I rely on that for these years to up scale our DVD movies. They look awesome. Now we just purchased this player thinking we would get a better picture (1080i) and its just horrible.

Things I see, text is jaggy, I bought The Proposal for Blu-ray and in the beginning of the movie, the camera is moving through a forest of tall straight trees, the trees have jaggies, the text displaying the actors names in the movie seems to be waving like a flag does in the wind. The other thing which is hard to describe, the picture is like made up of dots or I might call it sand.

Its not artifacts like a digital picture is corrupt, its more like a tiff image that's been blown up and you see the dots making the picture. Its quite disturbing.

Has anyone else seen this? I did do the update on it, got a new version of firmware and a new driver, both updated correctly. I was connected through a receiver, so I connected directly to the TV, there was no difference, I changed the resolution to 480p, 720P, things just got worse not better.

I figured my DVD player is putting out a 480p signal, that if I set up the Blu-ray to do that, I should get the same type of up scaling. I did not, I am sort of using the same cables as well. I have a sony DVD player connected directly to the TV and a Oynko dvd player connected to the tv via component.

I'm going to try the component connection next, if it works, it will mean trouble for me because my receiver does not support TRU-HD, so I do multichannel LPCM through the HDMI cable, that's the only way my receiver takes lossless audio, so I'm not sure how that is going to work.

Any ideas why my picture is so bad.

Thanks

paul

Paul bought the same unit I really thinks it's a firmware problem...Really sad that LG would let this happen but it looks like they rushed this model.

#466 ·
I just bought a bd 590. I tried to connect it to my network but it didn't work. I followed the instruction in the lg manual . I call them and he make me do the same thing and it didn't work. He told me my router was the problem. I got a laptop on my network and work fine. I'm confused.

My router is a linksys wrt310n.

Can anybody help me with this. I would like to connect it wiressly

#467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck986 /forum/post/18344282

Do you guys think a HD can be added to the 570? It looks like the HD in the 590 connects with an SATA connector. The connector is probably on the 570 as well. Does anyone have any internal pics of the 570 to see if it does? I guess the firmware would need to be changed too.

Read back through the thread, see my posts about the 590. Even if you could add an HDD to the 570/550, you wouldn't be able to add an HDD to them.

#468 ·
I stand by my first assesment that the BD590 was a prototype rushed into production. I'm glad I returned mine after only a few days of issues and didn't frustrate myself as much as some of the other members on this thread.

#471 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/18344711

Has anyone found any uses for the HDD beyond music CD ripping and taking a USB drive to transfer content from it to the HDD?

I was wondering if CinemaNow or Vudu (which both offer the ability to buy the movie from the LG player) allow you to save the movie purchase to the HDD.

I'm really fascinated about the HDD, but what to make sure it has more uses than a few small things.

You can download VuDu Movie to your HDD, but no CinemaNow download.

#473 ·
Thanks everyone for their comments thus far. I had planned on holding out for the 570, but now I am thinking about just getting a 390 instead.

Is there really anything missing from the 390 that is included in the 570? Most important to me is a) good quality blu ray playback and b) DLNA for streaming videos from my home network (AVIs mostly). According to specs I have seen, the 390 doesnt support AVI while the 570 does. Anyone have experience playing AVI with the 390?

In Germany, the 390 is about 50 euros (about 70 US dollars) cheaper and seems to be the better value.

In sum, thinking of just buying the 390, but wanted to see if there is indeed a good reason to hold out for the 570 to get fixed up.

Thanks much.

#475 ·
A week or so ago, I was all ready to order the 570 but after seeing all the problems with BluRay jumping/freezing and complaints about image quality vs. the 390, I'm having second (and third and fourth) thoughts.

I want something that will play BluRays reliably but also something I can use wirelessly to view movies via Vudu and Netflix.

The 570 certainly has a more elegant/slim profile but the negative comments here have me concerned.

I wonder if I'm only seeing a small subset of user comments here -- the folks who have experienced problems and/or are generally dissatisfied. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic /forum/post/18352460

How do I get to the video setup menu to change to 60fps? I can't find it anywhere.

In the Setup menu - Display, then the 3rd item, 1080p Display Mode. Only 2 choices, 60Hz or 24Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebzuerk /forum/post/18355511

Thanks everyone for their comments thus far. I had planned on holding out for the 570, but now I am thinking about just getting a 390 instead.

Is there really anything missing from the 390 that is included in the 570? Most important to me is a) good quality blu ray playback and b) DLNA for streaming videos from my home network (AVIs mostly). According to specs I have seen, the 390 doesnt support AVI while the 570 does. Anyone have experience playing AVI with the 390?

In Germany, the 390 is about 50 euros (about 70 US dollars) cheaper and seems to be the better value.

In sum, thinking of just buying the 390, but wanted to see if there is indeed a good reason to hold out for the 570 to get fixed up.

Thanks much.

I returned my 570 and have a 390 on the way. I downloaded a PDF of the owner's manual for the 390 and it says:

Movie file requirement (USB/DISC)

Movie file compatibility with this player is limited as follows:

Available resolution size: 1920 x 1080 (W x H) pixels

File extensions: “.avi”, “.divx”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mp4”, “.mkv”

Playable subtitle: SubRip (.srt / .txt), SAMI (.smi),

SubStation Alpha (.ssa/.txt), MicroDVD (.sub/.txt), VobSub (.sub)

SubViewer 1.0 (.sub), SubViewer 2.0 (.sub/.txt), TMPlayer (.txt),

DVD Subtitle System (.txt)

Playable Codec format: “DIVX3.xx”, “DIVX4.xx”, “DIVX5.xx”, “XVID”,

“DIVX6.xx” (Standard playback only), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, DIVX-HD,

MPEG1 SS, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS

Playable Audio format: “Dolby Digital”, “DTS”, “MP3”, “WMA”, “AAC”,

“AC3”

#477 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebzuerk /forum/post/18355511

Thanks much.

The BD390 plays everything the BD590 can. AVI, MKV etc.