AVS Forum banner
2M views 6K replies 1K participants last post by  Jackie78 
#1 ·
The BD550/BD570 are hitting stores now (2/23/2010), and hopefully the BD590 in a few weeks. Please post any impressions here.

What all three models feature:

VuDu (Previously a BD390 exclusive)

Netflix (Updated Version of Software which now includes Genres and Categories)

Pandora (NEW to this years model!)

CinemaNow

YouTube

Picasa Web Albums

AccuWeather

All Internally decode TrueHD and DTS MA (Lossless)

All Profile 2.0 out of the box

What they don't Feature (as of right now; unknown if ever):

3D Unknown if any of these players will be upgradeable via Firmware to 3D capable. LG ha snot said either way.

5.1/7.1 Analog Outs (the now discontinued BD390 does, however)

Individual Specs

BD550 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Blu-ray and DVD Disc Playback

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# Superior Audio Performance

# Express Reaction Startup

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD570 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# Standard DVD Up-Scaling

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

BD590 (Now Available!)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) # Media Library (Built-in 250GB Harddrive)
# Integrated WiFi Connectivity

# NetCast™ Entertainment Access (Wi-Fi Ready)*

# Home Link

# USB 2.0 Media Host

# SimpLink

(Work in Progress)

See less See more
#5,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 /forum/post/20355836

Google "winrar" it will open the firmware archive for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/20356174

Don't click on Movies, Photos, or Music. Just pop the USB in and wait for the player to ask you if you want to update the firmware (it looks exactly like it does when you update via the network).

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!! Driver is at 602 and FW is .323!!!
There is NO 'hiccup' or 'glitch' at chapter change on SDVD anymore AND the PQ has returned!!!

VUDU plays FLAWLESSLY with BOTH video & AUDIO!!!

And best yet...Wireless setup & connection has gone to what I remember, fast, fast, FAST!!! So I see it WAS the .339FW and NOT my router (so far) causing all the disconnects and loooooong setup times again, and again and again.

I was asked if I wanted to update to the newly found FW and of course I clicked "HIDE" so shouldn't have to worry about it again!

I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE to revert BACK to .323FW ASAFP!!!

#5,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugrep /forum/post/20349860

I can't make it past the "Coming Soon" on King's Speech.

If they didn't lock these DVD's so you could fast forward, I might be able to get to the top menu.

Hollywood, hear this, and right now I am f-ing mad. I've never copied a movie before. You won't let us fast forward the coming soon, so to make these things play, you are forcing me to learn to copy movies so I can strip all the bullcrap.

Come get me, I mean I am f-ing mad right now.

I can't make it past the "coming soon" but not the previews! FFFFF! Any help?

Also, the LG website says there is 12 month warranty. Is this true?

#5,110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkapps44 /forum/post/20356454

Have you tried reverting to .323FW yet? Certainly is worth a try and you can always go back to .339FW easily enough (but fail to see WHY one would want that buggy FW).

Quote:

Why? Are you having a problem with yours? Regardless, I believe the warranty is 90 days. I didn't look at the paperwork that came with mine so am not 100% certain. But 90 days seems to be the average for these types of players as an industry wide standard.

#5,113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/20352816

It may not be the type of 'search' you want, but when one has 75 choices to SEARCH thru in just one tab and one has multiple tabs, then yes, it IS considered "SEARCH". I never said anything about search by name.

I guess this would be good if they offered as many categories as the website. Over the weekend my wife wanted to watch a family movie that she and my 8 year old daughter could enjoy together. I ended up going to the PC and throwing some options in the queue. (the wife does not like to wait for me such technical difficulties).

Search in this case would be useless, unless a specific movie was in mind then of course it would not be IW. A more robust category search would be fine with me.

#5,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/20356407

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!! Driver is at 602 and FW is .323!!!
There is NO 'hiccup' or 'glitch' at chapter change on SDVD anymore AND the PQ has returned!!!

VUDU plays FLAWLESSLY with BOTH video & AUDIO!!!

And best yet...Wireless setup & connection has gone to what I remember, fast, fast, FAST!!! So I see it WAS the .339FW and NOT my router (so far) causing all the disconnects and loooooong setup times again, and again and again.

I was asked if I wanted to update to the newly found FW and of course I clicked "HIDE" so shouldn't have to worry about it again!

I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE to revert BACK to .323FW ASAFP!!!

It is pretty sad that one has to revert to old firmware to fix this thing.

Quote:

If you don't have BD-Live turned off that would be the problem.

BD-Live is the Devil

#5,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy /forum/post/20357437

It is pretty sad that one has to revert to old firmware to fix this thing.

If you don't have BD-Live turned off that would be the problem.

BD-Live is the Devil

While I do certainly agree, is anyone sure of the reason for the .339FW even being released? Was it solely for 24Hz playback issues with only certain titles or maybe the MLB.TV fiasco freezing after MLB.TV changed their delivery/transmitting method(s)? I do feel rather good that the unit IS able to be reverted without codes needing to be changed, one thing I disliked about HD DVD that would not allow a roll back without some code being rewritten. So tit for tat as far as that part goes.

As for BD-Live I never have it on, don't see the need or desire. I want to watch a movie, not how the movie was made at the same time. Never used that feature with HD DVD either. I know you weren't replying to me on this part, I'm just throwing my 2 cents in.

#5,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/20357598

While I do certainly agree, is anyone sure of the reason for the .339FW even being released? Was it solely for 24Hz playback issues with only certain titles or maybe the MLB.TV fiasco freezing after MLB.TV changed their delivery/transmitting method(s)? I do feel rather good that the unit IS able to be reverted without codes needing to be changed, one thing I disliked about HD DVD that would not allow a roll back without some code being rewritten. So tit for tat as far as that part goes.

As for BD-Live I never have it on, don't see the need or desire. I want to watch a movie, not how the movie was made at the same time. Never used that feature with HD DVD either. I know you weren't replying to me on this part, I'm just throwing my 2 cents in.

339 s/w fixes some bluray titles at 24hz, the wireless bug that .334 introduced, when streaming netflix your unit would power off, and MLB.

#5,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster /forum/post/20358465

339 s/w fixes some bluray titles at 24hz, the wireless bug that .334 introduced, when streaming netflix your unit would power off, and MLB.

Thanks.

I presume that .334 introduced the Netflix streaming shut down? I have never had that issue (but never installed .334 either). The 24Hz issue isn't for me as I don't think it makes enough of a difference to utilize, so I don't and .339 still has a serious flaw with wireless in as far as keeping a lock with the (my) router, and when trying to re-sync, would take 3 or 4 tries and slow as molasses besides. Once synched it worked fine, but often had to rebuffer on audio only apps like Pandora.

However NOW, with .323 reinstated, the wireless is lightening fast again and stays synched, the skip/stutter/hiccup/glitch on SDVD chapter change is gone and so is the poor PQ with SDVD. VUDU audio using pass thru has returned functionality again also.

Quote:
I have never upgraded from .323 and from the look of things, I should never upgrade until LG has sorted out their firmware update issues.

Very wise. I too will remain with .323 as I am not sure they are as intent on fixing the minor SDVD glitch as they could be, but rather have it on the back burner, as evidenced by not being replaced yet. In my opinion, since MLB.TV is a farce anyway, this is the perfect player with .323FW and I see no need (at least not at the moment) to do any future FW upgrades unless more apps are installed (VERY unlikely).

#5,119 ·

Thanks.

I presume that .334 introduced the Netflix streaming shut down? I have never had that issue (but never installed .334 either). The 24Hz issue isn't for me as I don't think it makes enough of a difference to utilize, so I don't and .339 still has a serious flaw with wireless in as far as keeping a lock with the (my) router, and when trying to re-sync, would take 3 or 4 tries and slow as molasses besides. Once synched it worked fine, but often had to rebuffer on audio only apps like Pandora.

However NOW, with .323 reinstated, the wireless is lightening fast again and stays synched, the skip/stutter/hiccup/glitch on SDVD chapter change is gone and so is the poor PQ with SDVD. VUDU audio using pass thru has returned functionality again also.

No, .334 did not introduce a netflix problem, it was there to begin with. Most people do not see the problem it has to do with your ISP and how they have the gateways configured.

#5,123 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro C.
I would like to know if there is a way to open and edit a LG firmware. Please someone helps me.
Yes, I already answered this once previously. You need to build a serial cable and it connects to a port on the inside of the unit. Using a terminal program such as putty to connect to a serial port on your computer, you interrupt the system during it's boot with a cntrl-c, and after entering in some alternate kernel boot parameters, you boot the kernel and go into a diagnostic area in which you enter hexadecimal codes with the remote in order to enable the disabled features, such as netflix, etc.

It's not for the faint of heart. If you have no linux or freebsd experience, and know nothing about hex code, you will most likely brick your 570.

The instructions are on the net, use google and you can locate the page with detailed instructions. There are also "hidden" codes you can enter using the remote control to access areas you didn't know were there, and those are also listed.

If this player had ever hit it big, people would have been writing modified firmware for them, much like they did with the linksys and other routers. DD-WRT and other popular firmwares made inexpensive routers very feature intensive and increased their performance drastically. Another area this is popular in is smartphones. Too bad the 570 never really hit it big, or we'd have alternatives to LG's firmware :)

If I cared about it enough and had the time I would be tempted to do one myself, but I suspect the entire code is so scattered and was pieced together by so many different people (that's why when one thing is fixed it breaks something else) I don't want to even bother.

And, in order to do an open source "netcast type array of apps", the companies you expect to stream from would have to be cooperative in a GPL suite, which for all I know they would be more than happy to do so, as it would open them up to happier and more customer's, etc. They would basically have to release to you the exact set of sequences (compression algorithms, encryption, etc) for your home brewed app to connect to them as the netcast apps do. Routers and smartphones are a much simpler type of platform to take advantage of the hardware assocaited with them, as one does IP networking and the other pretty much the same thing when it's not using the cdma or gsm networks for voice.

Joe

#5,124 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro C.
I would like to know if there is a way to open and edit a LG firmware. Please someone helps me.
As flabobye already wrote there's a way to edit fw. I don't wanna put a link to the website here since I do not know how legal it is, so just use google to search for "bd 560 hack" and the first link will tell ya more

#5,128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/20356407

I was going to offer to send you Winrar, but looks like you got things fixed. Congrats!!

#5,129 ·
Anyone having a problem playing the new narina Blu-ray in their BD 570? After the splash screen that talks about needing the latest firmware, etc., etc. comes up the disc just freezes. I am running firmward v. 339.C and have tried turning off and on BD Live functionality. Nothing works.

This movie does play without problem on my PS3 and a Samsung BD player I also have.

TIA,

Erock

#5,132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock1 /forum/post/20364457

Anyone having a problem playing the new narina Blu-ray in their BD 570? After the splash screen that talks about needing the latest firmware, etc., etc. comes up the disc just freezes. I am running firmward v. 339.C and have tried turning off and on BD Live functionality. Nothing works.

This movie does play without problem on my PS3 and a Samsung BD player I also have.

TIA,

Erock

Revert to .323FW.