Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6395 Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Once I get home I will test my BD570 and update as well

Update: Installed the new software and it didnt skip at 1:03 or at 7:03 like it did before for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6395 Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorton007 View Post

My best buy here has the bd390 for $150, is that a steal? It's an open box unit so I would have to check with them about warranty's and all. I was just gonna go for the 550 for about the same price b/c I really wanted Pandora, but I can always just use my Pandora Iphone app instead....

Possibly the display model they had. I say get the 550
post #633 of 6395 Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan View Post

Has anyone used Handbrake to encode video that is readable by the 570?

I hate to respond to my own post, but I was able to create mp4's with Handbrake that will stream with burned in subtitles. I didn't realize it, but apparently the 570, like the 390, won't stream MKV's.
post #634 of 6395 Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post

Once I get home I will test my BD570 and update as well

Update: Installed the new software and it didnt skip at 1:03 or at 7:03 like it did before for me.

cant wait till i get the bd570, it just sucks the canadian version doesnt have half of the streaming services available...
post #635 of 6395 Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM

All:

I'm just letting you all know that the firmware is available on the LG support site. I must admit, I'm a bit dismayed as from the Hitachi side, I never could download firmware.

So for those who's machines can't access the net for whatever reason, you can update via the USB port.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...oduct-profile#

This is for the BD590 but I'm sure the firmware for the other machines is available as well.

Cheers!
post #636 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 AM

At the moment Amazon the 570 is going for 222.72.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just a heads up
post #637 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Interesting as I checked for updates this morning and it showed no update ava. will grab and install via usb.

cheers!!
post #638 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM

I've been having a really tough time getting my BD570 to connect to my wireless home network. The signal strength was fine, but it would always fail to connect. Finally, on a hunch, I used the OpenDNS server addresses instead of the default DNS servers from UVerse. That fixed it! I'm not sure if this will help other folks who have wireless connection problems, but you might want to give it a try.
http://www.opendns.com/
post #639 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

I've been having a really tough time getting my BD570 to connect to my wireless home network. The signal strength was fine, but it would always fail to connect. Finally, on a hunch, I used the OpenDNS server addresses instead of the default DNS servers from UVerse. That fixed it! I'm not sure if this will help other folks who have wireless connection problems, but you might want to give it a try.
http://www.opendns.com/

I'm curious about this. I never got the wireless to work with my Mac over my home network and I was using UVerse, too. Having said that, I just yesterday returned my 570, before the mention of this new update that may fix some of the major problems I and others had been having with BR playback. Will be interested to see if others have success with this update. Maybe I could be convinced to give the 570 another try, although I'm considering the Sony 570.

"WhatÂs the point of going out? WeÂre just going to wind up back here anyway."
post #640 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-rocka View Post

I'm curious about this. I never got the wireless to work with my Mac over my home network and I was using UVerse, too. Having said that, I just yesterday returned my 570, before the mention of this new update that may fix some of the major problems I and others had been having with BR playback. Will be interested to see if others have success with this update. Maybe I could be convinced to give the 570 another try, although I'm considering the Sony 570.

My Mac has always worked OK with my Uverse router, as have other wireless devices. It was just the LG Blu-ray player that wouldn't work for some reason. Wireless networking can be so finicky and frustrating!
post #641 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 02:06 PM

I never got pass the CIFS login! Spent half a day on it then quit. Finicky and frustrating is right. What to do now? The Sony's DLNA capabilities aren't even going to be added until the summer based on what I've read. How's your BR playback? Are you having problems with the known problem BR's?

post #642 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-rocka View Post

I never got pass the CIFS login! Spent half a day on it then quit. Finicky and frustrating is right. What to do now? The Sony's DLNA capabilities aren't even going to be added until the summer based on what I've read. How's your BR playback? Are you having problems with the known problem BR's?

I've not tried playing any of the specific titles mentioned, but the ones I have tried have played perfectly. I think Blu-ray playback on the LG looks excellent with great color and clarity. Standard DVD looks fine to my eyes as well.
post #643 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks Captain. You're one of the lucky ones.

post #644 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 PM

I just got my second BD570 after being so pleased with the general performance of our first one. We now have the second one in our bedroom. So far so good. I ordered it from Walmart online for $227...and was somewhat distressed to see a January 2010 date. Our first one was from BB and had a February 2010 date. I think a previous poster was right in saying we have no idea whether the date makes any diff at all. I think there's some evidence that the firmware may be solving original issues. If you want the ability to play a wide variety of codecs, stream from your home network, play DVD's with good upscaling, online access to most of the major streaming vendors (Blockbuster and Amazon being notable exceptions), other bonus features like Picassa and Pandora access, impressive (in my experience) wi-fi connection, and very nice blu-ray playback...this is a good choice in my opinion. I'm actually not aware of another player with all of those abilities...maybe the PS3?

I've followed this thread from the beginning and want to thank everyone who's posted here...especially the early adopters who suffered through updates, RMA's, and letting us all know what kind of issues might await us if we buy. Here's hoping most of the issues are behind us...can they do a software update to fix the stupid door?
post #645 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 PM

so im a little lost and have skipped around the thread a bit. Does the 550 allow the streaming of media from say my laptop to it? Currently i stream content from my laptop to my X Box and what not but it doesn't support a lot of content specifically a lot of blu ray content, obviously. Anyway i got the 550 free with the purchase of my new tv and i don't know a whole lot about it specifically
post #646 of 6395 Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith5361 View Post

so im a little lost and have skipped around the thread a bit. Does the 550 allow the streaming of media from say my laptop to it? Currently i stream content from my laptop to my X Box and what not but it doesn't support a lot of content specifically a lot of blu ray content, obviously. Anyway i got the 550 free with the purchase of my new tv and i don't know a whole lot about it specifically

No it won't stream from your laptop, doesn't play all of the different codecs or have wi-fi. See LG's website for all of the differences...
post #647 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post

No it won't stream from your laptop, doesn't play all of the different codecs or have wi-fi. See LG's website for all of the differences...

ah damn, but the higher end models do?
post #648 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post

I just got my second BD570 after being so pleased with the general performance of our first one. We now have the second one in our bedroom. So far so good. I ordered it from Walmart online for $227...and was somewhat distressed to see a January 2010 date. Our first one was from BB and had a February 2010 date. I think a previous poster was right in saying we have no idea whether the date makes any diff at all. I think there's some evidence that the firmware may be solving original issues. If you want the ability to play a wide variety of codecs, stream from your home network, play DVD's with good upscaling, online access to most of the major streaming vendors (Blockbuster and Amazon being notable exceptions), other bonus features like Picassa and Pandora access, impressive (in my experience) wi-fi connection, and very nice blu-ray playback...this is a good choice in my opinion. I'm actually not aware of another player with all of those abilities...maybe the PS3?

I've followed this thread from the beginning and want to thank everyone who's posted here...especially the early adopters who suffered through updates, RMA's, and letting us all know what kind of issues might await us if we buy. Here's hoping most of the issues are behind us...can they do a software update to fix the stupid door?

So I think that the manufacture date doesn't directly have anything to do with the playback issues that we've been having. The latest firmware fixes all the 24Hz playback problems that I've been having with my Jan 2010 manufactured unit. My guess is that the units with the later manufacture dates have newer firmwares than the Jan units.

And yes, that door is really stupid!
post #649 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:

It doesn't stream directly, but I use TVersity to stream from my PC to the 550 and it works quite well.
post #650 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Ok, going out of my mind. On my 2nd unit from Amazon BD570 - first unit connected wireless to my router using mac address security. Works great, 2 hours in asks me to update the software. I pull down the update - will no longer see any networks. 2 calls to LG - try a bunch of stuff and I'm told the unit needs to be repaired. So I send unit back to Amazon and get a new unit. New unit works great, I refuse to update the new version for a week. Stupid me - I update this morning and experience the exact same thing! Calls to LG are useless - anyone else have a similar experience? They want to send me a disk (still didn't get the disk from calls on first unit) - sad Amazon can get you a new unit faster.
post #651 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vksf01 View Post

It doesn't stream directly, but I use TVersity to stream from my PC to the 550 and it works quite well.

What exactly is TVersity and how does it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfull View Post

Ok, going out of my mind. On my 2nd unit from Amazon BD570 - first unit connected wireless to my router using mac address security. Works great, 2 hours in asks me to update the software. I pull down the update - will no longer see any networks. 2 calls to LG - try a bunch of stuff and I'm told the unit needs to be repaired. So I send unit back to Amazon and get a new unit. New unit works great, I refuse to update the new version for a week. Stupid me - I update this morning and experience the exact same thing! Calls to LG are useless - anyone else have a similar experience? They want to send me a disk (still didn't get the disk from calls on first unit) - sad Amazon can get you a new unit faster.

Have you tried re-inputting your connection settings? Maybe the firmware update got rid of the old settings. Also try hooking it up via a cable and see if that works, atleast if that does then you know its something internal with the wifi and not a settings issue
post #652 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

The problem is after the update it's like the radio doesn't work - it can't see any SSID's at all. They want me to ethernet connect it too, but that's not easy. Router and cable modem up stairs in a room with no TV/monitor. Would take some rigging. I just pulled the update off the LG website and made a CD - trying to update again as perhaps the update I've pulled down from the net is not complete or corrupt or something? Who knows. Very frustrating.
post #653 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM

That's strange. I've never had any problems with my wi-fi connction after updating. I have installed three updates since purchasing the unit and all have worked without having to change any settings.
post #654 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
decided to pull the plug on the bd590 today. Had the 390 and loved it. Will use that upstairs now. I hooked up 590 same as i had the 390. Just simple HDMI cable into onkyo receiver then out from receiver to pioneer 4280 plasma. when i turned it on got message The device cannot be operated. Please check the connection. CEC100. It disappears in a few seconds but continues to re appear. Any idea on what this is and how to fix it.
post #655 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:

What exactly is TVersity and how does it work?

Tversity is a streaming transcoder/server program for DLNA devices. Decoding is done on the server if your device doesn't have the particular codec. In the case of the BD570 (or 590 or even the 390), it thinks it's a Playstation 3, but I haven't had any issues with it.

http://tversity.com/

The coolest thing is that I can also stream hulu through Tversity onto the BD570, so you're not limited to the sites that are built into the BD570.
post #656 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Tversity is a streaming transcoder/server program for DLNA devices. Decoding is done on the server if your device doesn't have the particular codec. In the case of the BD570 (or 590 or even the 390), it thinks it's a Playstation 3, but I haven't had any issues with it.

http://tversity.com/

The coolest thing is that I can also stream hulu through Tversity onto the BD570, so you're not limited to the sites that are built into the BD570.

I have a mac - is there something like tversity for mac.
Would Plex do the same thing? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Xbox Live Gamertag - polygonkilla
post #657 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygonkilla View Post

I have a mac - is there something like tversity for mac.
Would Plex do the same thing? Sorry for the dumb questions.

not really familiar with mac servers plex sounds like it's just a media organizer, at least from just having a quick look at their website, not a UPnP server like tversity.

here's a wikipedia page for mac upnp servers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV...rvers#Mac_OS_X
hopefully one of them will work for you
post #658 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:

not really familiar with mac servers plex sounds like it's just a media organizer, at least from just having a quick look at their website, not a UPnP server like tversity.

here's a wikipedia page for mac upnp servers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV...rvers#Mac_OS_X
hopefully one of them will work for you

Great, thanks alot.
My brother has the 590 and he really likes it, now I can get into the mac by file sharing but I wanted to see if a media server would be easier for him to use.

Xbox Live Gamertag - polygonkilla
post #659 of 6395 Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Picked up a 570 for $224 at best buy (after a 10% coupon).

Generally pleased but am either not doing something right or I really don't like the streaming interface (mp3's from the PC). It seems like the only way the interface works is to browse the folder hierarchy on the PC to locate the desired song....no way to select a genre, artist, album without knowing which folder it is in.

In looking at the 590 in the store, it seemed to have an interface for locally stored media like what I was expecting (but it didn't have any content to really verify).

I really don't expect my family to know how to browse the media share to find the files.

Am I doing this right is there some other way?
post #660 of 6395 Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 AM

I had been very happy with my LG570 which was connected to a new Sony 60EX500 LCD. I decided, however, to exchange the Sony for an LG 60PK750 plasma, a FANTASTIC set, by the way. When I connected the 570 to the LG TV and played a disc, the picture did not look right. It was as if the brightness control on the TV had been turned up too high, causing the black level to look a little washed out.

I went through all of the settings on both the BD player and the TV. Everything was set the way it should be. The only way that I could get the picture to look right was to put the TV in to one specific picture mode, "standard". I really liked and wanted to use the THX picture mode, however.

So, I reluctantly returned the LG Blu-ray player and purchased a Sony 460. There is no problem with the picture now. Its strange that the LG + LG combination caused a problem but the LG + Sony combo did not.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page