Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have read this entire thread and I can't believe how bug riddened this player is. I bought this player to replace my old blu Ray player. Not sure if it was a good idea. I want to lke the 590 but nothing seems to work right. Did the latest firmware repair most of the issues? I tried to copy over mkv files or avi files and I get an error after it starts. Is this even possible to copy these files to the hdd via Ethernet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ahh sorry, skipped right past it. What a shame, the ability to upgrade the hard drive would have sealed the deal.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #723 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM

yet, i think this lg is the only multi purpose bluray player with an hard drive..
bori, like i had some trouble setting up in the beginning, but all the issues were on my side. crappy router, my firewall was too strict. now all works fine, internet, streaming mkv's, using youtube(the only "streaming app" available in canada), all network features work well either wireless or wired. almost took it back, but a final test(exchanging routers-already planned, the player just accelarated the decision) all worked out.
post #724 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Hey all,
Sorry if this is already asked/answered, but if I've already got an LG 2010 plasma, will one remote work both the tv and player?
post #725 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

My audio is not very impressive..I need some help..a bit clueless on the setup between my new 570 and my STR-DG910 Sony receiver.

Using an HDMI cable from the BD to to my receiver. Should I have the audio settings as Primary Pass Thru or PCM - Multi? And for the setting titled Digital Output my three choices are PCM Stereo, DTS Re-Encode or Primary Pass Thru. I messed around with all combinations and none of them are very impressive.

Any help is much appreciated..

Greg
www.pixartalk.com
A blog dedicated to all things Pixar. Complete with news, definitive sections on each film/short & an in-depth look at important Pixarians.
post #726 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I just started watching blurays this past week on a LG 370, and also started using a projector last week. My screen size is around 108" and I'm using a Viewsonic pro8100 projector. Everything is new to me and I'm still getting a handle on what I should expect from Bluray and my projector.

So far, I've been floored by the quality of the picture. Today I bought a 570 (thinking I would move the 370 from the home theatre to the family room and use the 570 in the theatre). I also bought Fight Club today. So I hooked up the 570 and popped in the Fight Club disc.

As soon as the trailer for Blurays came on the screen, I got a pit in my stomach. Something didn't look right. The picture looked as if it were being scaled up. Then I thought to myself that "maybe it's just standard def for this part". I eventually got to the actual movie, and I was really disapointed in the picture. I had read that the transfer of FC was pretty good so I was feeling underwhelmed. There seemed to be noise and slight jaggies as if I had the sharpness and/or detail enhancement up way too high.

So, I checked the settings of the projector and the BD player. Everything was set correctly. I watched a few scenes and tried to memorize how they looked and then played the same scenes again on the 370.

Right away, things seemed to look better. Smoother, much more pleasing to the high... not digital looking at all. I thought it might just be my eyes or my mind playing tricks on me, so I repeated going back and forth a few times and I was convinced there was a difference.

Until this point, even without experience, I had always been in the camp that thought there was no difference between players when playing back BDs in PQ. I figured the only way to try to confirm if my eyes were just playing tricks or not was to try and see if I could see a difference if I took some photos.

Until today, I never thought I would be the guy with his camera pointed at his screen. So, I set my DSLR on a tripod and used a timer. The exposure, focus, and white balance were set manually and locked. I had a wide lens on so, unfortunately, the camera shadow shows in the pictures.

It's subtle in the pictures, but you can definitely see there is a difference between the PQ of the two players. The difference seems MUCH more obvious on the screen. In some of the pictures, the 570 image almost seems "better", but I can assure you that on the screen, it is the opposite.

You can see on the 370, the picture seems 'smoother' with a less digital look. There is less noise in the out of focus areas. This is much more apparent on screen.

The 570 seems to have a slightly brighter picture with more shadow detail and some jaggies, ringing along edges. The transitions of colours seem "ugly" and there is noise in places where there isn't any on the 370.

Here are the pictures

#5 Notice how the edge of EN's nose is smoother on the 370 and there is way less green/blue noise on the left edge of Bob's name tag

#6 This is subtle, but notice how BP's hand has ringing around the edge on the 570. Also on the 570, BP's forearm breaks up along it's edge and EN's face seems more blotchy.

#7 In this one, the 570 photo (not screen image) almost seems to look better because it is a bit sharper, but upon close inspection, the gun barrel is more blotchy rather than smooth looking, the blue background has harsher/ugglier noise and the transition from blue to black in the top left is much nicer on the 370.

#8 The 570 is sharper and appears more detailed but up on screen it looks noisy and ugly. The dark to light transitions are obviously smoother as is evident around the light frames (top left).

The results seem pretty consistant. Perhaps the 570 might look nicer on a traditional display less than 50"? But on a bigger screen, it seems obvious that there is something going on in one of the players that makes the 370 look better on my screen.

Anyone have ideas what the reason for this is?
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #727 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by depooter View Post

My audio is not very impressive..I need some help..a bit clueless on the setup between my new 570 and my STR-DG910 Sony receiver.

Using an HDMI cable from the BD to to my receiver. Should I have the audio settings as Primary Pass Thru or PCM - Multi? And for the setting titled Digital Output my three choices are PCM Stereo, DTS Re-Encode or Primary Pass Thru. I messed around with all combinations and none of them are very impressive.

Any help is much appreciated..

I don't think your receiver can decode the new lossless codecs. So you would need to set your LG to PCM multi. This will allow your player to do the decoding and send the PCM signal to your receiver. You should see multichannel on the front of the receiver with the 5.1 channels lit up.
post #728 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I don't think your receiver can decode the new lossless codecs. So you would need to set your LG to PCM multi. This will allow your player to do the decoding and send the PCM signal to your receiver. You should see multichannel on the front of the receiver with the 5.1 channels lit up.

Thank you. I changed the HDMI setting to PCM - Muli-channel. what about the digital output? I have three choices:
PCM Stereo, DTS Re-Encode or Primary Pass-Thru.

Also, it looks like the STR-DG910 can do 96khz. Is that where I should set the sampling frequency?
thanks

Greg
www.pixartalk.com
A blog dedicated to all things Pixar. Complete with news, definitive sections on each film/short & an in-depth look at important Pixarians.
post #729 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keopele View Post

Hi everyone,

I just started watching blurays this past week on a LG 370, and also started using a projector last week. My screen size is around 108" and I'm using a Viewsonic pro8100 projector. Everything is new to me and I'm still getting a handle on what I should expect from Bluray and my projector.

Here are the pictures

#5 Notice how the edge of EN's nose is smoother on the 370 and there is way less green/blue noise on the left edge of Bob's name tag

#6 This is subtle, but notice how BP's hand has ringing around the edge on the 570. Also on the 570, BP's forearm breaks up along it's edge and EN's face seems more blotchy.

#7 In this one, the 570 photo (not screen image) almost seems to look better because it is a bit sharper, but upon close inspection, the gun barrel is more blotchy rather than smooth looking, the blue background has harsher/ugglier noise and the transition from blue to black in the top left is much nicer on the 370.

#8 The 570 is sharper and appears more detailed but up on screen it looks noisy and ugly. The dark to light transitions are obviously smoother as is evident around the light frames (top left).

The results seem pretty consistant. Perhaps the 570 might look nicer on a traditional display less than 50"? But on a bigger screen, it seems obvious that there is something going on in one of the players that makes the 370 look better on my screen.

Anyone have ideas what the reason for this is?

Hey there:

I returned my BD590 becuase of quality issues. I looked at your pictures and saw some differences, mainly in 5 and 6, but barely. Perhaps because I'm viewing them on an LCD and not a CRT, I'm sure it makes a difference.

I did my own research and found that if you have a screen smaller than 48 inches, your throwing your money away for BD picture quality. Yes, the audio is there, but you can only squeeze so much into those small displays. I have a 42 inch and the DVD quality was actually better then the BD quality. Mind you this was before I did a true calibration, but after the calibration, I found that although I eliminated many of the quality issues, like grain and artifacts, I was not happy with the picture quality. Especially since I'm a first time BD viewer, I expected the quality to be well above DVD and 1080i television transmission. It was not, at least with the BD590.

Your analysis does hold water with me, based on my own experience, I just can't see it in your pictures, sorry.

-paul
post #730 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I changed the HDMI setting to PCM - Muli-channel. what about the digital output? I have three choices:
PCM Stereo, DTS Re-Encode or Primary Pass-Thru.

Also, it looks like the STR-DG910 can do 96khz. Is that where I should set the sampling frequency?
thanks

Select 96khz and Primary pass thru.
post #731 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Select 96khz and Primary pass thru.

the receiver isn't indicating multi channel decoding...looks for like 2.0 or 2.1 damn...I hate this Sony receiver....any ideas?

Greg
www.pixartalk.com
post #732 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTVSteve View Post

Several years ago, I had all kinds of intermittent Macintosh to 2Wire router connectivity problems (dropped connections, difficulty in starting communications, etc.). Once I bought a Netgear WRN834Bv2 wireless router to replace the 2Wire unit, all of my problems disappeared. BTW, I had lots of setup problems with a Linksys N-router on three different Macintosh computers before I took it back to BestBuy and exchanged it for the Netgear Wireless-N router.

The Netgear WRN834Bv2 N-router works flawlessly with my BD590 on ATT DSL and has great wireless range through walls and floors in my large 3 story house.

My wife likes the BD590 so much with its CD archiving to disk, wireless Netflix downloads and its Pandora Internet Radio service that she wants us to get another unit for our living room. The BD590s are out of stock in our area right now, though.

BluRayFiend,
Not sure about your Belkin router, but per my earlier post around 4/7/10, our two-year old Netgear WRN834Bv2 N-router continues to work great with our BD590. We have never experienced a skip with Netflix, YouTube or Pandora Radio applications, despite our less than speedy 1.3 MByte/sec ATT/Earthlink DSL service.
post #733 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the receiver isn't indicating multi channel decoding...looks for like 2.0 or 2.1 damn...I hate this Sony receiver....any ideas?

Did you try DTS re encode on the HDMI option?
post #734 of 6388 Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Did you try DTS re encode on the HDMI option?

got it..I need to change my receiver setting to AMP only.....

thanks for all your help.

Greg
www.pixartalk.com
post #735 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed Nero home and it worked fine for copying files to hdd. Playon would not work it would freeze the player. So I copied over a mkv file I hit play and Now nothing happens just A white screen. I thought this play was able to do mkv. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #736 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM

maybe u just got a lemon. some users confirmed that the player reads natively mkv;s, either usb or the hard drive.
post #737 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs_bunny01 View Post

maybe u just got a lemon. some users confirmed that the player reads natively mkv;s, either usb or the hard drive.

What about avi. and mpeg?
post #738 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I just tried a sample mkv,avi and mpg off USB stick and it works great. Just can get it to work off the harddrive. Ok I copied the files on the USB stick to hdd and everything played fine. Mkv,mpg and avi. Don't know why copying dlna does not work.
post #739 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Hey all,

New to the Forum, but I'm having a bad sound syncing problem. Bought a brand new LG LED/LCD TV and part of the package was the LG BD550 Blueray player. Picture is great but the sight and sound is off. People's mouths start moving then a split second later you hear the dialogue or a door shuts and then a split second later you hear it. I am using the TV's speakers so I have an HDMI cable from the Blueray player to the TV. It's driving me nuts. I brought back to Bestbuy the first Blueray player, and the second one I got has the exact same problems. I have downloaded all of the updates and my TV has no problems with this from my cable box, just with the Blueray player. Anyone have this problem or a solution. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks all, great forum here.

Greg
post #740 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM

what's up ya'll.. On the BD550 there is an option for 24hz or 60hz. When and why would I choose one over the other? Noob here

Thanx
post #741 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got a new driver update on my 590. LG does not list what these do. Is there anywhere to find out what additions are made with the software updates. Main ver BD.8.31.21.C SERVO VER H89586 (H08SAN)
post #742 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM

For what it's worth, I just ordered an LG BD590 on eBay for 359.00 (free shipping, no tax). With Bing Cashback, that will put it at 330.28. Granted, you won't see the difference until a couple of months, but still, overall, it's 330.28 for the BD590.
post #743 of 6388 Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew64 View Post

Just got a new driver update on my 590. LG does not list what these do. Is there anywhere to find out what additions are made with the software updates. Main ver BD.8.31.21.C SERVO VER H89586 (H08SAN)

just got that update as well, only the servo ver changed from h80582 to H80586
if anybody happen to know what did it fix or improve please post it
post #744 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

just got that update as well, only the servo ver changed from h80582 to H80586
if anybody happen to know what did it fix or improve please post it

This is the reason for drive 586

1. The Reason For The Change
1) BD : detection problem in low temperature.
2) BD test disc(MTD600) : detection problem during power on/off test
3) BD : detection problem caused by stuck step motor of CL.

Life is Good
post #745 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have read this entire thread and I can't believe how bug riddened this player is. I bought this player to replace my old blu Ray player. Not sure if it was a good idea. I want to lke the 590 but nothing seems to work right. Did the latest firmware repair most of the issues? I tried to copy over mkv files or avi files and I get an error after it starts. Is this even possible to copy these files to the hdd via Ethernet?

Hi all.

I'm a current Samsung BD-P1600 owner who has had nothing but one problem after another. I noticed the LG BD550 was selling pretty cheap and does everything I'd need it to do (play BDs, DVDs, Netflix and Pandora).

I've read through here a little and it seems a lot of the problems are with things I'll never try to do. So I'll ask is anyone having problems streaming Netflix? Handshake issues when you first start a movie, or if you watch one show and then start another on Netflix? That was one of the problems I am having with my Samsung.

I guess in a nutshell is anyone having any issues with Pandora or Netflix, or with Handshake issues on the LGs? I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire with another headache BD player.
post #746 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

after the driver update, now the sw update, just got it
bd.8.31.226c
if anybody has info on this new update please post it
post #747 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM

I ditched my Samsung BD-P1600 for the LG BD570 about six weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I don't have any of problems with Netflix that I had with the Samsung. The LG software connects to Netflix much faster, the fast forward responds better, and I never lose connection when I finish one program and try to watch another. As a bonus, you can also browse for new titles right from the LG, no computer needed. I also have not had nearly as many problems with discs skipping on the LG as I had with the Samsung.
post #748 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM

I'm thinking of buying the BD570 to replace my XBMC. Can anyone tell me if it supports music playlists? I read the manual and searched in this forum and I can't seem to find the answer to this.
post #749 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

after the driver update, now the sw update, just got it
bd.8.31.226c
if anybody has info on this new update please post it

btw, the update downloads but fails when appyling. does it happen t anybody else?
post #750 of 6388 Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:

btw, the update downloads but fails when appyling. does it happen t anybody else?

It worked for me with a wired connection. Sometimes I have to turn it off and then on to get it to take an update.

I have not seen any differences between this and the older version.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page