Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very interested in the BD570 as well. I've currently got a 120GB PS3 Slim acting as my Blu-Ray player/streaming device (using PS3 Media Server Beta 1.20 as my DLNA server), but the PS3 is still just WAY too noticeable for me fan-noise wise. I'd really love it if I could relegate it just to playing games, and get a near silent dedicated player that can also do the Netflix/Blu-Ray/streaming combo. If anyone could post their experiences with the BD570 streaming with a DLNA server (hopefully PS3 Media Server... the Oppo BD83 guys are already using this combo) I'd greatly appreciate it. My biggest concern is streaming 720P MKV files. The PS3 handles them fine, but some of the Oppo commenters have stated issues with these types of files so far. Honestly, I'd go with the Oppo BD83, but it doesn't look like it will ever get Netflix streaming (a requirement for me) so I've been looking at the LG's instead (brother has a BD370 that he loves).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Any lip sync issues? I put my 390 up for sale on eBay because the lip sync was driving me nuts.

Never had a lip sync issue with my 390.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 View Post

BTW the trap door front is the most stupid thing i've ever seen on a CE device.

It's all the rage. It hides all the buttons and makes it look sleeker. I prefer this over having cheap plastic buttons everywhere.
post #63 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 432
post #64 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

I agree the trap door is lame. What parts of it concern you?

My concern right now is the HD is always grinding. You can hear it from 10ft away. As soon as I plugged it in it started with the noise. This is no Audiophile machine with the noise it emits. I think that's why the case is so large to muffle some of the noise. And yes it grinds and whirls if it is being used or not. The amount of noise leads me to believe it won't last very long. I've had DVR's that made that kind of noise that I got about 2yrs out of them. It seems rather pointless to archive material on the hard drive for it to crash out.

VUDU for me works better than on the BD390 so far. That is a plus.

I've had no issues with the DVD playback like I did on the BD390 which is a plus. It's still early however.

I had no lip sync issues on either player.

Netflix works as advertised and Pandora is a plus just need to get used to another interface.

I guess the front door could be considered sleek until it becomes a cracked jagged piece of plastic as it will in a large number of homes. It's weak flimsy junk that should never be animated.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #65 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pictures (Yeah, I suck):

post #66 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I guess the front door could be considered sleek until it becomes a cracked jagged piece of plastic as it will in a large number of homes. It's weak flimsy junk that should never be animated.

I'm with you on the uselessness of the flip-down panel. Also, for those of us planning to use the USB frequently, it is actually an inconvenience.
The faceplate behind the panel is plenty attractive as is. Maybe I'll be able to find and remove the spring so it'll stay down.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #67 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

My concern right now is the HD is always grinding. You can hear it from 10ft away. As soon as I plugged it in it started with the noise. This is no Audiophile machine with the noise it emits. I think that's why the case is so large to muffle some of the noise. And yes it grinds and whirls if it is being used or not. The amount of noise leads me to believe it won't last very long. I've had DVR's that made that kind of noise that I got about 2yrs out of them. It seems rather pointless to archive material on the hard drive for it to crash out.

VUDU for me works better than on the BD390 so far. That is a plus.

I've had no issues with the DVD playback like I did on the BD390 which is a plus. It's still early however.

I had no lip sync issues on either player.

Netflix works as advertised and Pandora is a plus just need to get used to another interface.

Hmm. I don't hear that grinding noise. Your unit may be noisier than others. You might consider checking that out and if need be replace the unit.
post #68 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For what it's worth the Best Buy employee that got the unit down for me last night stated that Sony, Samsung and Panasonic were all planning future units with hard drives.

I would usually discount this type of info but this guy knew the entire spec sheet of the BD590 top to bottom. Considering this unit just got to the store and wasn't even on display I had to conceed that he may possibly know what he is talking about.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #69 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it's worth the Best Buy employee that got the unit down for me last night stated that Sony, Samsung and Panasonic were all planning future units with hard drives.

I would usually discount this type of info but this guy knew the entire spec sheet of the BD590 top to bottom. Considering this unit just got to the store and wasn't even on display I had to conceed that he may possibly know what he is talking about.

Retailers have no knowledge about future models, regardless of how well he knows about the BD590.

However, it's very likely as they will want to replace DVD Recorders/DVRs with an all-in-one box. However, CE's are focusing on 3D right now and will be pushing the crap out of them.
post #70 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see what the point of internal hard drives are at this point. I would come out with a USB 3.0 or External SATA connector on a player where you can just add your own drive.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #71 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Just picked up mine at BB. As a previous poster stated, it was on a top shelf and not on display yet. I've only played with for a short time. It did freeze up on me once when accessing some folders on my network. Other than that it's working great.
post #72 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

The 570 is a lot smaller than the 390 it replaced. I took a couple pictures with my iPhone and will post later.
post #73 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, still can't get PS3 Media Server to work with the LG Blu-ray players. Didn't work on the 390 and doesn't work on the 570. Gives an error.
post #74 of 6388 Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

The UI totally sucks compared to the 390 as well. Wish they'd give us some options to change the look. The cubes floating in water look is painful. Not a big fan.
post #75 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 AM

FWIW, DivxTV is being added "later this year". If you look at the CES 2010 videos of it, it appears to have it's own complete UI that is very nice. I just hope they stop using the "netcast" icon. Who cares what it's branded as once you buy the thing. Just organize the programs and services logically. Maybe they'll just use DivxTV UI for all their services.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2UfBT20MRw
post #76 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I don't see these units listed at the LG Canadian site so it looks like they will have to come up with a new wrinkle to sell them here (as will all the other producers). The biggest problem is the extra services that can't be accessed from here (Vu Du, Pandora, Netflix, etc.) or simply do not exist in this market. Am I going to blow $500 on a crippled machine? No possibity of that....
post #77 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

I don't see these units listed at the LG Canadian site so it looks like they will have to come up with a new wrinkle to sell them here (as will all the other producers). The biggest problem is the extra services that can't be accessed from here (Vu Du, Pandora, Netflix, etc.) or simply do not exist in this market. Am I going to blow $500 on a crippled machine? No possibity of that....

FYI, I paid US$379 for mine.
post #78 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSwanson View Post

FWIW, DivxTV is being added "later this year". If you look at the CES 2010 videos of it, it appears to have it's own complete UI that is very nice. I just hope they stop using the "netcast" icon. Who cares what it's branded as once you buy the thing. Just organize the programs and services logically. Maybe they'll just use DivxTV UI for all their services.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2UfBT20MRw

That would be great but I wonder if my 590 would be "upgraded" to use DivX or is that for future models.
post #79 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be great but I wonder if my 590 would be "upgraded" to use DivX or is that for future models.

From the LG/DivX press release:

"The first DivX TV firmware update for LG NetCast Blu-ray Disc players and home theater systems is expected to be available later this year."

since the 550/570/590 Are the current models I would suspect they will be included in the upgrade.

-Ken
post #80 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI, I paid US$379 for mine.

Great! So, $400CAD for a crippled machine? Still no way....
post #81 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM

I emailed LG about DivXTv and Amazon VOD. No plans for either on the bd570.
That seems to contradict what the press release says.
post #82 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim2000 View Post

I emailed LG about DivXTv and Amazon VOD. No plans for either on the bd570.
That seems to contradict what the press release says.

The problem is your probably getting replies from some Tier 1 customer service rep who most likely would not have access to future upgrades. Especially if it has not been tested and approved. I would assume the canned answer is always "no" until those add-ons have been proven to work.

I am leaning towards a BD550. I try to avoid wireless if I can, but I really like the idea of the built-in hard drive.

For those of you that own the 590, how hot does it get with the hard drive added to the mix?
post #83 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The problem is your probably getting replies from some Tier 1 customer service rep who most likely would not have access to future upgrades. Especially if it has not been tested and approved. I would assume the canned answer is always "no" until those add-ons have been proven to work.

I am leaning towards a BD550. I try to avoid wireless if I can.

I would also be interested in finding out if the new players work with the PlayOn DLNA server.
post #84 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I am leaning towards a BD550. I try to avoid wireless if I can.

The 550 seems to play less media formats similar to how the 370 was versus the 390. Go to LG's website and compare the two then click highlight differences. The video formats are highlighted and the 550 gets the short end. That's why I went with the 570 instead.

Here's the link to compare the two then click "differences" in the top left and it will highlight them. 550 also doesn't do any of the HomeLink stuff.

http://www.lge.com/us/common/compare...eo%2Findex.jsp
post #85 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM

I just spoke with a customer service rep from LG and was told that the USA version of the BD 550 does not support .mkv and neither does the BD370. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I was thinking about buying one of the two but if it cannot play .mkv from disc or through an external hdd plugged in then I am not interested. Thanks.
post #86 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM

spfy thanks for that link, that answers my question about mkv files. Guess I will need to get the 570 if I want that, and I was hoping to stay under $200. Might be better off just buying a ps3 then, does anyone know how the ps3 handles .mkv?
post #87 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

I picked the 570 up at BestBuy for $279. If you are a rewards zone member you might be able to find a 10-12% off coupon. I had a PS3 for a Blu-ray player and wasn't happy with it overall. Much prefer a dedicated player.
post #88 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I am going to have to get a 590 here soon for a Review.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #89 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM

In my home theater system, I still have a Zenith DVB318 for upconverting regular DVDs during playback to 1080i. It works spectacularly well upconverting and delivering via component. (See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...400480&page=64)

Do you think I would be disappointed with the quality of DVD upconversion using one of these new LG players? I'd kind of like to add one to my system for online services and Blu-Ray, but the number of boxes in my system has proliferated and it would be an easier call if I could retire the DB318 when adding this one.
post #90 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

The 550 seems to play less media formats similar to how the 370 was versus the 390. Go to LG's website and compare the two then click highlight differences. The video formats are highlighted and the 550 gets the short end. That's why I went with the 570 instead.

Here's the link to compare the two then click "differences" in the top left and it will highlight them. 550 also doesn't do any of the HomeLink stuff.

http://www.lge.com/us/common/compare...eo%2Findex.jsp

Thanks, that is a big help. Looks like the 570 or 590 really is the way to go. I am leaning towards the 570...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page