Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you that own the 590, how hot does it get with the hard drive added to the mix?[/quote]

It does not get that hot compared to a DVR or Onkyo receiver. I was very surprised that it did not generate that much heat. My BD390 seemed hotter after playing a Bluray than this does. The disc I've put in come out cool to the touch, unlike on the BD390 that came out on the warm side.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I found the Picture Adjustment Menu. While watching, Hit Display and it will say 'Standard'. You can then change some minor things (DNR, Contrast etc.). Does not seem as well stocked as the BD390 though.
post #93 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried to play any .mkv files that are larger than 4GB on these players? Wondering if these players are limited to FAT32. Also has anyone connected an external hdd to the 570 and played video off of it?
post #94 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sent you a PM Toleedo.
post #95 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM
kwv

Anyone else wonder if the front USB hidden by a trap door is a design 'feature' that pushes people towards the 590?

or am i just too cynical

btw - i saw someone else ask, but i didn't see an answer; can someone respond if the 570/590 will play content off of a NAS? (ideally over AFP, but i'll take SMB).
post #96 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Has anyone tried to play any .mkv files that are larger than 4GB on these players? Wondering if these players are limited to FAT32. Also has anyone connected an external hdd to the 570 and played video off of it?

ntfs

played .vob, mkv, and mpeg so far... via usb and network (wired).

Soon as I can figure out how to keep my menus, fwd/rwd, etc when going from hd or network, this is a keeper.

Interface is clean and not busy... not an interface I'd picked, but it is good enough.

Oh, and for some reason, I can only get audio 5.1 via usb and dvd... same movie on the network only shows on the player as a 2 chan... using nero and tversity....

But this is much better than the oppo 83 I got and sent back when it comes to playing off hard drive and network. Same mkv file that would not play on oppo, plays on this lg 570. All good... no... Life's Good. lol

Only time I've had a lockup was when attempting to update.... just sits. Maybe I'll let it run overnight or something... reminds me of windows 95. lol
post #97 of 6388 Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 PM

can someone test the start times of some movies like winston did?
post #98 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 AM

i'm looking at the 570. do you think it's sturdy enough to stack my receiver on top?
post #99 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

There is more than just the cost of the hard drive to add an internal hard drive to a Blu-ray player. I can't find fault with that premium considering the cost to develop firmware, internal connections and controller, and customer support for a more complicated product. Look at all the questions here regarding how to copy files to the hard drive and access various files in dozens of different formats.

I think LG will be lucky if being first with an internal hard drive results in a profitable addition to a product that is sold at a very small profit margin to begin with. Don't forget retailers have to make a profit as well. Pretty tough business selling Blu-ray players now if you ask me, isn't competition great? The price is reasonable for this player in my opinion and I expect the BD570 will result in greater profits after customer service cost but both are being sold at slim margins.

Chris
post #100 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 AM

^^^

Thanks Chris

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #101 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Im guessing the hard drive is a 2.5" sata drive? How easy is it to replace the drive?
post #102 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I just picked this up and it seems to be a great player, but for some reason the picture seems to be zoomed a bit on my Samsung DLP TV's. For instance if I go to the Netcast screen the descriptions at the bottom of the various internet services are half cut off and on Vudu the prices are almost completely off the screen when I select one. Same all around the perimeter. I've tried using HDMI and component as well as switching from 720p to 1080i (no 1080p on my TV). Tried it on another TV with the same problem. Any ideas?
post #103 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

There is more than just the cost of the hard drive to add an internal hard drive to a Blu-ray player. I can't find fault with that premium considering the cost to develop firmware, internal connections and controller, and customer support for a more complicated product. Look at all the questions here regarding how to copy files to the hard drive and access various files in dozens of different formats.

I think LG will be lucky if being first with an internal hard drive results in a profitable addition to a product that is sold at a very small profit margin to begin with. Don't forget retailers have to make a profit as well. Pretty tough business selling Blu-ray players now if you ask me, isn't competition great? The price is reasonable for this player in my opinion and I expect the BD570 will result in greater profits after customer service cost but both are being sold at slim margins.

Chris

And I agree 100%.

I read it, and see the benefit of the drive for my uses at around 0. Am I talking for everyone? No. Do I think it is a great idea from LG? Yes. Do I think they will not turn a profit? I hope they performed the ROI. At the end, I've not read the pm on br players or the market as a whole. No commit there.

The argument you are making is different from my argument... and we can go into the business side of it... I will simply agree that on the tech front, they are helping consumers. LG needs to work on their warranty (which can be an additional revenue stream).

At the end, if someone has trouble placing files on an an external hd, I don't know what they will do when their internal 250 gb fills. Hook up another drive and move files over? Going to be interesting.

It is a forum. We all have our own ideas about what something is worth... to us. I'll go the 1 / 1.5 / 2 tb route... that makes more sense to me right now.

To add: of course, there might be some benefit of the 250 gb internal hd that I'm not aware... that might even make me kick myself for not investigating more and paying the extra $100. There are always some benefit one can miss, that they might really want...
post #104 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM

What is the difference between the 570 with an external hard drive connected via usb and the 590? thanks
post #105 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Thanks, that is a big help. Looks like the 570 or 590 really is the way to go. I am leaning towards the 570...

And they both have LAN ports on the back, so you can still use a wired connection if you prefer.

I always like to download the Owner's manuals before I buy a CE product, answers alot of questions. You can download the BD570 manual PDF here, and the BP590 manual here.

Already answered a big question for me - yes, you can store any downloaded content to a USB external storage device.
post #106 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

Already answered a big question for me - yes, you can store any downloaded content to a USB external storage device.

Yeah, but not sure what that really means. I can download from BD-Live/Vudu, but what good is it if nothing else can play those files?
post #107 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Yeah, but not sure what that really means. I can download from BD-Live/Vudu, but what good is it if nothing else can play those files?

Well, I was thinking of it in terms of those services that let you download the movie and rent it for a specific period, as opposed to streaming only. The 570 obviously wouldn't have internal storage for that, and wanted to make sure you could specify the USB storage device for it.

I live in a rural area, a few miles out past where I could have DSL, so my only broadband choice is WiMax through the electric cooperative, and 1.5mbps is about tops, so streaming doesn't work very well, alot of pauses for buffering.
post #108 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Just bought the 550 today from BB along with UP Blu Ray. Tried to play up but it keeps skipping forward... sometimes 3 or 4 chapters at a time. Tried 3 other Blu Rays with no issue. Took up back to BB and exchanged it. Same problem with the new disc. I did the firmware update when I hooked it up. Anyone care to try UP and report back if you have a problem?

The Captain
post #109 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know what the firmware update that came out recently was for?

SW Version BD.8.31.186.C
post #110 of 6388 Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM

I was wondering the same thing about the update. I was trying to play some mkv files with subtitles and the subs would not show up, so I downloaded the update hoping that would fix the problem. However, now when I play mkv files my player just locks up...atleast before I got video and audio with my mkv's, just no subs...now I get nothing.
post #111 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I was watching Marley and Me last night and my 590 just hung at about 19 mins into the movie. I waited a long time but it would not repond to any command. I had to unplug to reset. After that I used scene selection to get near that point (but before it) and it worked fine.
post #112 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 AM

I picked up a 590 last night. everything seems great other than the wireless seems to be weaker than what was in the 390. I having trouble getting a good connection to my netgear N router.
post #113 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 AM

[quote][Just bought the 550 today from BB along with UP Blu Ray. Tried to play up but it keeps skipping forward... sometimes 3 or 4 chapters at a time. Tried 3 other Blu Rays with no issue. Took up back to BB and exchanged it. Same problem with the new disc. I did the firmware update when I hooked it up. Anyone care to try UP and report back if you have a problem?/QUOTE]

Took UP blu ray back to BB and exchanged it. Still skipping chapters. Firmware is updated.. Ver BD.8.31.186.C Chapter 2 at 7:30 it jumped to chapter 3. At the end of chapter 3 it jumped to Chapter 7. Some where in chapter 7 it jumped to chapter 27. Makes for really short movie. Tried the UP disc on my Panny DB-55, played with no problem. Going to pack it up and take the player back to BB and exchange it.

The Captain
post #114 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 AM

i saw the following review on amazon. anyone having similar problems with blu ray playback hiccups? he also mentions that the 570 has slow load times, but i thought the 390 was one of the fastest on the market?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
post #115 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

I thought the Blu-Ray load times were pretty fast, but this is my first BLu-ray player so I don't have anything to compare it to. My problem is that after downloading the update my player freezes up during playback, especially with mkv files. The same mkv files played before the update but now only play for a few seconds and then the player freezes. I have to unplug the player or hold the power button down for several seconds on the player to get it to turn off. Will most likely be returning unit for something else. Anyone else having problems with mkv files?
post #116 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far my only problem is with .AVI's, if I pause and then press Play, the picture gets jerky when in fast movement. If I don't pause AT ALL, it play's fine. Could be mad AVI files though. MKV played fine.

Guess I'll holdout on doing the firmware update...
post #117 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Gizmo, by chance did any of your mkv files have subtitles? Even before the update I couldn't get subtitles to show up when they were suppose to with mkv. I didn't have any problems with avi, but I didn't mess around with them too much. I just checked to see if they would play. Yeah you might want to stay away from the update until other people post their units responses to the update, I've had more issues since updating than before.
post #118 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post

Gizmo, by chance did any of your mkv files have subtitles? Even before the update I couldn't get subtitles to show up when they were suppose to with mkv. I didn't have any problems with avi, but I didn't mess around with them too much. I just checked to see if they would play. Yeah you might want to stay away from the update until other people post their units responses to the update, I've had more issues since updating than before.

No, but my AVI's did. I turned them off at the start of each play. I have no need for Subtitles. I am willing to test one out though if it'll help someone.

There was no update Tuesday when I bought the BD590. Phew.
post #119 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 AM

If you get a chance let me know if your mkv's have subs or not. I'm wondering if I have a faulty player or if the LG doesn't support subs with mkv. Well I can't even play mkv for more then a few seconds anymore, but I'm still curious. Thanks.
post #120 of 6388 Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My BD390 can not detect an external USB HDD (NTFS) attached to a Dlink DIR825 router. (hard wired)
Unless the 570 can do this it will be off my list.
The USB drive is detected only when my computer is on and running the Dlink Sharepoint utility causing another 200 Watts of power drain.

Connecting the USB drive to the player is not an option since that loses access from my computers.

My other main complaint is the inability of the 390 to decode VC1. Recoding to AVC or H264 is a nuisance.
Will the 570/590 decode VC1 ?
If any poster has the means to test this kind of setup, please post your findings.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page