AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post

Hello,
I hate to ask this question here, but you all seem like the most qualified, by far, to accurately and honestly answer.

I am deciding between a BD570 and a Pana BD85.
I will soon have a LG 60PK550.

They both seem like great blu-ray's (I have no need for 3D).

Many have said the upconversion and overall PQ on the BD85 is significantly better, and perhaps less problems with the panasonic.

I know there would be the ability to share remotes with tv, which is of no concern.
Which to chose?

Thanks

I had the LG BD550 and Sony S470 for a few weeks. I ended up returning them and getting the Panasonic BD85 (which has very different video and audio processing than its lower-cost brother the BD65). What you'll be happy with is going to depend on what your requirements and priorities are - they all have their own strengths and weaknesses and none are perfect.

So it would help if you told everyone what features you're the most interested in. If you don't know what features are available in BDP's, that's the first place to start. Soft media features & compatibility and internet apps are where you'll see a world of differences between all the players. If that's not as important for you, then its much easier to compare because you only have to worry about CD, DVD, and BD playback.

A few things I like about the BD85 compared to the two I mentioned:

- Better upscaling (important for DVD's).
- Better DVD compatibility (especially compared to S470)
- More audio features.
- Quiet transport when spinning high-rpm BD's (BD550 was pretty quiet too).
- Solid build (e.g. disc tray is not flimsy, heavier chassis).

One thing I like about the LG and Samsung BDP's is they're supporting Vudu. If BD-Live is important to you, I've heard the BD85 has a problem with some titles, but I haven't been able to explore that yet - that's the one problem I'm aware of. You'll also hear people say the BD85 runs very warm. It does, but so did the BD550 and S470 (you have to feel the bottom of the chassis where the motor sinks off its heat when spinning a BD (DVD playback is often cool since the DVD is spinning 1/5-th the RPM of a BD). The BD85 has feet to raise the chassis bottom to allow for better cooling and has side vents on three sides. The other two don't have any real feet so there's no airflow under the chassis unless you add some rubber stick-on feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 6388 Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got the lg570 and using it to stream netflix. I'm having a problem with the remote cannot FF or REW when streaming on netflix.

post #1623 of 6388 Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
posting just to try to get the avs ad out of the way of the search drop down box
post #1624 of 6388 Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Help!
Well, I have in the house the LG 570.

Here's my dilemma. My TV a 60PK550 is NOT DLNA. However, the LG570 is, and I think I might need this feature down the road.

However, correct me if I am wrong, the BD85 IS NOT DLNA.

So, is the upscaling of DVD worth it on the 85 to lose the DLNA feature?

I really don't watch many DVD's.
I think I would be doing the following:
1. Ordering blu-rays from netflix in mail.
2. Watching netflix streamed over internet (I can't image the bd85 would be that much better than the LG regarding this PQ.
3. Then just the basic signal from cox cable, which has nothing to do with the blu-ray.

All comments welcome.
post #1625 of 6388 Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Enabled Napster on my BD590, when I login into Napster the player powers off! Anybody else having this problem?

I reported the problem to LG and have a ticket open on it.
post #1626 of 6388 Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Hello All,

Yesterday I update my BD-570 to the latest software and firmware via the auto update from the unit. Everything appears to be working fine but my DLNA. No matter what I do, I can't get it to log into my PC to stream my media. This was working the day before, so I know nothing is wrong my PC/Network.

Is any one else having this issue?

Thx!
post #1627 of 6388 Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Welcome to the club of the guys who "don't know how to do it"...
Btw, if you do find the way to make it see your computer again, please do describe it here.

Regards,
post #1628 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes, I have done the famous (or is it notorious?) factory reset multiple times and such. Still no joy.
post #1629 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Whats the latest firmware for the BD590 and when did it come out?
post #1630 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I brought home a 570 after due deliberation. Fw update work ok, but still there is a screen ghost saying u can't connect.

More so it does not see m2ts files from bd tips..

Result..going back.

Thank you LG ,for playing!
post #1631 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Whats the latest firmware for the BD590 and when did it come out?

I just downloaded this on Monday:
Main Ver: BD.8.31.283.C
Servo Ver: H80591 (H08SAN)

Have you upgraded to this? Can you still connect and stream media from your PC?
post #1632 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by This.Guy View Post

I just downloaded this on Monday:
Main Ver: BD.8.31.283.C
Servo Ver: H80591 (H08SAN)

Have you upgraded to this? Can you still connect and stream media from your PC?

No I haven't upgraded to this. In the middle of remodeling my family room so don't have the lg connected. What does this firmware address or add?
post #1633 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

No I haven't upgraded to this. In the middle of remodeling my family room so don't have the lg connected. What does this firmware address or add?

I don't know what is fixed/updated, but it sure did eff up my ability to stream from my PC I can't find much about it on the WWW either.

P.S. Good luck with the remodel
post #1634 of 6388 Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM

I have tried a lot of tweaks to try to get the LG BD-570 with the newest patch to connect to my PC via user name and password. Nothing worked and I changed nothing. I did notice that it was able to connect to an XP and Vista machine, but couldn't get it to connect to my Win 7 machine (which it was able to prior to the patch). I was able to get the LG BD to stream from my Win 7 machine using the windows media player 12; which makes me happy again . I feel the patch affected something .

As for another side note; when I first purchased the unit, I wasn't able to play movies from a USB drive, but with the new update I have the option to now (witch is another sweet options 'cause I love my .mkv's!)
post #1635 of 6388 Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 AM

Hi, I'm brand new in this forum. I'd like to buy BD 570 player , just need to know if it has the possibility to read mkv files , size over 4gb ,stored on a bd-r as my PS3 can't
Thanks for your kind answer
Ramp
post #1636 of 6388 Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I have tried a lot of tweaks to try to get the LG BD-570 with the newest patch to connect to my PC via user name and password. Nothing worked and I changed nothing. I did notice that it was able to connect to an XP and Vista machine, but couldn't get it to connect to my Win 7 machine (which it was able to prior to the patch). I was able to get the LG BD to stream from my Win 7 machine using the windows media player 12; which makes me happy again . I feel the patch affected something .

As for another side note; when I first purchased the unit, I wasn't able to play movies from a USB drive, but with the new update I have the option to now (witch is another sweet options 'cause I love my .mkv's!)

This.Guy, WMP12's streaming didn't fix anyone's day. You are bound to what Microsoft has decided to allow get streamed through it, which isn't mkv's and srt's (if you add a folder containing mkv files in your "Videos" library, you'll see it goes to a library called "Other Media"). So, we are back to point zero, either streaming through Nero Media Home or no streaming at all...

Some day in the future, I'll be tired of checking various combinations of anything, tired of waiting for an update which will make the player stable and predictable, will buy a big usb stick, remove my network cable from the floor and be very sorry for trusting LG...
post #1637 of 6388 Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The latest update also killed the ability to play .VOB files. worked fine out of the box until update....this is no good
post #1638 of 6388 Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM

I was just getting ready to buy the 570 but all this mess is making me have second thoughts

Is there any other alternative player out there thats supporting all the different file formats without all the issues ??
post #1639 of 6388 Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Im looking to pick this player up in the next week or so and for what I need it for , Netflix Good up-converting DVD and good BD qty It looks to be a good choice. I had conserderd the Sony BDS-370 but I heard the BD picture and DVD up-convert wasnt as good as this player.

May the Force be with you.
post #1640 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki View Post

This.Guy, WMP12's streaming didn't fix anyone's day. You are bound to what Microsoft has decided to allow get streamed through it, which isn't mkv's and srt's (if you add a folder containing mkv files in your "Videos" library, you'll see it goes to a library called "Other Media"). So, we are back to point zero, either streaming through Nero Media Home or no streaming at all...

Some day in the future, I'll be tired of checking various combinations of anything, tired of waiting for an update which will make the player stable and predictable, will buy a big usb stick, remove my network cable from the floor and be very sorry for trusting LG...

Have you tried WMP12? Are you able to connect to it and stream media? Since the LG with the latest software can't log into windows using a user name and password, why not use WMP if it works? I tried Nero Media Home, but the LG didn't see it. I can't say if this is an issue with the new software or not because I've never tried to use Nero until I upgraded.

The reason why the MKVs you add are appearing under "other media" is because you don't have the proper codecs installed on your PC. When I add a folder containing MKVs to the video library inside WMP, they appear under the Video folder and not the other media folder. Here is the codec pack that I use, http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html. If you don't like this one, there are plenty of others out there (http://freecodec.com/) and hopefully one of them will fix your MKV and WMP issue.
post #1641 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram1 View Post

I was just getting ready to buy the 570 but all this mess is making me have second thoughts

Is there any other alternative player out there thats supporting all the different file formats without all the issues ??

Unfortunately, the LG is the only player that natively supports playing the most video formats; especially MKVs. The unit sets up wireless or wire, has DLNA ability, Netflix, can connect a USB HDD to it; it is just a really nice all-in-one media player. Besides the latest patch that came out; I've has not issue with my unit.

If you don't care about Netflix or playing/streaming MKVs, then there are plenty of other alternatives out there. http://www.blu-ray.com/players/ does a pretty good job in comparing them and is a good place to start.
post #1642 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Hmm, I am able to stream from a share on my Win7 laptop to my 570 and I have the latest update (unless one has been released after 8/3). I had some problems, but all I remember doing was un-sharing and re-sharing the folder.
-Tried to login and connect to share -failed
-Tried to login and connect to share again -failed
-Unshared and reshared the Win folder
-Tried to login and connect -success
post #1643 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjit View Post

Hmm, I am able to stream from a share on my Win7 laptop to my 570 and I have the latest update (unless one has been released after 8/3). I had some problems, but all I remember doing was un-sharing and re-sharing the folder.

That's exactly why I'm saying this thing is far away from being called stable and predictable. Although all "computers" obey to some protocols and are quite stable, this player, although it wants to say it has some "computer" abilities (see shared folders, being able to log in to other computers with shared folders, use the DLNA standard etc.), it doesn't do so, by no means. If you start playing with your pc's settings and press repeatedly the green "G" button on your remote (the "refresh server" one), you'll see all kinds of appearances and disappearances of icons from your list. And not only that - one day you're good to go, the other one you have lost everything...
post #1644 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Have you tried WMP12? Are you able to connect to it and stream media? Since the LG with the latest software can't log into windows using a user name and password, why not use WMP if it works? I tried Nero Media Home, but the LG didn't see it. I can't say if this is an issue with the new software or not because I've never tried to use Nero until I upgraded.

The reason why the MKVs you add are appearing under "other media" is because you don't have the proper codecs installed on your PC. When I add a folder containing MKVs to the video library inside WMP, they appear under the Video folder and not the other media folder. Here is the codec pack that I use, http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html. If you don't like this one, there are plenty of others out there (http://freecodec.com/) and hopefully one of them will fix your MKV and WMP issue.

Yes, I'm on Win7 64-bit and I'm able to stream through WMP12. I don't think the issue of the library my mkv's are thrown into has to do with my installed codecs (I have them installed in such a way that I can watch xvid's and mkv's with WMP12, having subtitles shown through ffdshow and being able to use Subtitle Workshop (which is something none of the popular codec packs give by default)). I was searching the place I had read about the fact that Microsoft doesn't allow mkv's to be streamed by WMP12 but I can't remember where it was. Anyway, fyi, Nero Media Home is the only way that has played for me from day one. The sad thing is that it operates flawlessly only through my wired connection - when I have the player connected through wireless the Nero app crawls and can't stream nothing else than mp3's. (while when streaming from WMP12 there is no drop in speed, but I can't stream mkv's or srt's)
post #1645 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki View Post

Yes, I'm on Win7 64-bit and I'm able to stream through WMP12. I don't think the issue of the library my mkv's are thrown into has to do with my installed codecs (I have them installed in such a way that I can watch xvid's and mkv's with WMP12, having subtitles shown through ffdshow and being able to use Subtitle Workshop (which is something none of the popular codec packs give by default)). I was searching the place I had read about the fact that Microsoft doesn't allow mkv's to be streamed by WMP12 but I can't remember where it was. Anyway, fyi, Nero Media Home is the only way that has played for me from day one. The sad thing is that it operates flawlessly only through my wired connection - when I have the player connected through wireless the Nero app crawls and can't stream nothing else than mp3's. (while when streaming from WMP12 there is no drop in speed, but I can't stream mkv's or srt's)

I am not to sure why my PC places the mkv's in the video folder or why I can stream them and you can't. The major difference between our systems, that I can see, is mine is 32 bit and the type of codec we have installed.

Since you mentioned windows not allowing mkv's to be streamed, I took a look; and it is true that Windows 7 does not support mkv's natively. This is where the 3rd party codec will come into play.

Can any one else stream mkv's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjit View Post

I tried this without any luck. Just out of curiosity, is your laptop 32 or 64 bit?
post #1646 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I tried this without any luck. Just out of curiosity, is your laptop 32 or 64 bit?

64 bit. I'll play with it some more and see how it goes. Maybe I changed something else that I don't remember at the moment.
post #1647 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For you all with streaming problems, have you tried Tversity to stream? It seems great with my 570.
post #1648 of 6388 Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

For you all with streaming problems, have you tried Tversity to stream? It seems great with my 570.

That what i use on my 590 never had any issues.
post #1649 of 6388 Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

I see tversity will convert on the fly (which is pretty cool). How's the quality of BD mkv's?
post #1650 of 6388 Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Hello guys, I have the bd570 for a couple of days now and played around with it for a time. I wondered if anyone recognises the following problem I discovered:

When playing certain mkv movies (in this case from a usb hard drive) the player completely hangs after approximately 1:30 minutes or so and the only way to shut it down is to pull the power plug. With some other movies, there is no problem.

I used the program MediaInfo to extract some information from the mkv files and it turned out that the movies which CABAC / 5 ref. frames were playing okay, and the movies that were causing the player to hang had 9 ref. frames. All have 4.1 level profiles. The bitrate of the videostream or if they are 720p/1080p makes no difference.

It seems that the bd570 has a problem with playing back mkv's with more than 5 CABAC reference frames. Should I re-encode (if possible) those mkv's with 9 levels down to 5? I hope not, since I understood that procedure takes a lot of time
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page