Official LG BD550/BD560/BD570/BD590 Owners Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1771 of 6395 Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
POCO_Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan View Post

I can't believe all of the dead drives I'm reading about. Has anyone contacted LG about this? I'm pretty sure the 5x0 models advertise attaching external drives, so I would think you've got a pretty good claim on your hands for the value of the fried equipment.

I don't have the warranty statement in front of me, but I imagine there's a limitation on incidental damages. But still... it seems like a pretty egregious failure to me.

I did contact them - without going into details, it took me 15 minutes to convince the guy on the other end of the phone (at LG) that the BD570C actually had a USB port . . . I'll leave it to your imagination as to the content of the remainder of the call.
POCO_Matt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1772 of 6395 Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO_Matt View Post

I did contact them - without going into details, it took me 15 minutes to convince the guy on the other end of the phone (at LG) that the BD570C actually had a USB port . . . I'll leave it to your imagination as to the content of the remainder of the call.

Oh boy,

It did not surprise me... Most company today (sadly) have on the frontline peoples in a call center that did not know about the products...

Same for Bell here in Canada ...

Till customer want to pay low price on everything, companys cut where it cause less apparent flaw....

Take a look : http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/09/national/main587601.shtml Cry or laugh after !

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1773 of 6395 Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Newbie
 
Tim2460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO_Matt View Post

Do you know if anyone there was able to retrieve data? And if so - how?

I have a bunch of non-backed up data on the 2 drives I fried and have been trying to get it back. Tons of pics/movies - the wedding, trips to Europe . . crap

Ontrack would be abble to swap the platters from your dead drives to an brand new one.

But it gonna cost... A lot ,(

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

I have 2 backups of my photos, each on HD off location. (But i work in IT, teach you to be paranoid ,)
Tim2460 is offline  
post #1774 of 6395 Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Bill D T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of buying the BD590 and the one feature that has me interested is being able to store and playback media from the hard drive. Has anyone had luck in playing back AVCHD video from the hard drive? If so does the file have to be in a certain format? I have a Panasonic camcorder and I believe the file extension is .cont. If the Panasonic AVCHD video files require its own proprietary software then can the files be converted to a format recognized by the LG bluray player?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Bill D T is offline  
post #1775 of 6395 Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Newbie
 
gills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just at the local Costco (in Canada), they were selling the LG BD550C. Looking at the features advertised on the box, it had support for MKV. I thought that was one of the big differences between the 550 and 570. Not sure what else was different. I wonder if the 550 support MKV in the US?

Also, somebody else in this thread mentioned that they were playing movies on the 550 using a USB flash drive. Did they maybe add new features in a firmware update?
gills is offline  
post #1776 of 6395 Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill D T View Post

I'm thinking of buying the BD590 and the one feature that has me interested is being able to store and playback media from the hard drive. Has anyone had luck in playing back AVCHD video from the hard drive? If so does the file have to be in a certain format? I have a Panasonic camcorder and I believe the file extension is .cont. If the Panasonic AVCHD video files require its own proprietary software then can the files be converted to a format recognized by the LG bluray player?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

From what I read on the Forum --------> YES

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1777 of 6395 Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post

I was just at the local Costco (in Canada), they were selling the LG BD550C. Looking at the features advertised on the box, it had support for MKV. I thought that was one of the big differences between the 550 and 570. Not sure what else was different. I wonder if the 550 support MKV in the US?

Also, somebody else in this thread mentioned that they were playing movies on the 550 using a USB flash drive. Did they maybe add new features in a firmware update?

DLNA is a must... Netcast - Wireless - So I choose the 570 It worth the 50$ more

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...01da5a1194en02

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1778 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Newbie
 
cap40000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just a note... I have lost 3 1TB drives pluging them into 590 (2) & 570 (1).
all worked fine on the 390 for over a year. Powered on or off.
The 570 was a friends, went over and plugged it in, it flashed the usb icon in the corner a few times. Went home and found it was dead. He also fried 1 of his.
No problem with over a dozen usb thumbs.
I now just use a myBook nas. It works flawless.
Still using usb drive on the 390 with no problems.


p.s. forgot to mention I can't do anything with the drives using vista or that low level format tool list above in these pages. Using usb container or as a sata drive hooked directly.
cap40000 is offline  
post #1779 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap40000 View Post

just a note... I have lost 3 1TB drives pluging them into 590 (2) & 570 (1).
all worked fine on the 390 for over a year. Powered on or off.
The 570 was a friends, went over and plugged it in, it flashed the usb icon in the corner a few times. Went home and found it was dead. He also fried 1 of his.
No problem with over a dozen usb thumbs.
I now just use a myBook nas. It works flawless.
Still using usb drive on the 390 with no problems.


p.s. forgot to mention I can't do anything with the drives using vista or that low level format tool list above in these pages. Using usb container or as a sata drive hooked directly.


Do U think it could be because the BD unit were ON bfore you remove the HD and doing so, cause a short and fry the HD and enclosure ?

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1780 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
cap40000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After I lost the 1st one I only pluged in/out the usb cable with both power's off.

On another note I have a 160g 2.5" (no power adapter) that I have tried, hot swap and power off. Still works after repeated uses...
cap40000 is offline  
post #1781 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Member
 
togurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered the bd570 and it's coming in today. I was planning to hook up an external hard drive to the usb port to play movies off it. Just making sure I'm understanding that this is a bad idea? Or is there something specific about they type of drives that it is harming?
togurt is offline  
post #1782 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Newbie
 
MatrixD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap40000 View Post

After I lost the 1st one I only pluged in/out the usb cable with both power's off.

On another note I have a 160g 2.5" (no power adapter) that I have tried, hot swap and power off. Still works after repeated uses...

My drive that died was a 2.5" 160. I've sent in a "kind" note to LG...no reply yet.
MatrixD is offline  
post #1783 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Member
 
gordita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These external hdd issues are incredible.
with the current price of a BD570 at around $175, i thought this is a good value player giving me the benefits of blu-ray and a media streamer and netflix!
my setup is as simple as it gets because I would connect the 570 to a 50" plasma via hdmi and optical to my HT receiver for sound. as far as streaming, it would be hard wired to a synology NAS and all I would be streaming would be mp3's, mkv's and avi/xvid and maybe some jpg's and gif's. i'm guessing I would also be signing up for netflix streaming.
so for my needs, is there anything else that would give me all these benefits for a $175 price tag?

I can always buy a separate blu-ray player and a streamer but with simple streaming needs, I think this BD570 may be enough.

The only thing I'm uncertain about is playing jpg's.
if i remember correctly, at my friend's place, when he tried to watch some jpg's or gif's stored on his NAS, the photos came out all squished on his widescreen. i remember playing around with the aspect ratios and such but they were unwatchable.
can anyone comment on the quality of streaming jpg and gif's please.

Thanks!
gordita is offline  
post #1784 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Member
 
TubbyPoutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cado007 View Post

Hi Tim,

If you have some fear about connecting USB device on the 570 / 590 make an adaptor with only the Green and White (Data path) since your enclosure if self powered you will not need any current from the Red 5 Vwire
nor the ground.

This way the 590 port can,t destroy your USB devices anymore

Salutations du Québec, cousin Français

Hi Cado007,
How exactly do we "make an adaptor with only the Green and White (Data path)"?
Does this require modifying an existing USB cable? If so, how do we remove the Red/Ground paths?
Thanks

Samsung Plasma PN58C6500, LG Blu-Ray BD590, Pioneer Elite Rcvr SC-05, Bell TV 9400, Apple TV 1 Jailbroken XBMC, WDTV Live+, Patriot BoxOffice, Xbox 360, PC, Harmony 550
TubbyPoutine is offline  
post #1785 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Member
 
skoretsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG said there was a 288.C downloadable (from player) version but I haven't seen it yet. Has anyone seen this update, or know what it fixed/added?
skoretsk is offline  
post #1786 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Bob K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by togurt View Post

I ordered the bd570 and it's coming in today. I was planning to hook up an external hard drive to the usb port to play movies off it. Just making sure I'm understanding that this is a bad idea? Or is there something specific about they type of drives that it is harming?

I've had no problem hooking 2 separate 2.5" Western Digital drives to my BD570. I have (accidentally) disconnected them with the blu ray power still on. I've had no data failures yet.

That being said, I strongly recommend you ensure power is turned off on the blu ray player before disconnecting the drive. That's a good practice with any USB device. Plus, keep you data backed up.

I've destroyed other USB devices on my computer due to bad drives or bad USB cables. I had a Western Digital USB cable that shorted out and destroy the USB card in the computer. I think we'd need A LOT more data before we could rule that the BD5xx blu ray players have inherent USB problems.
Bob K. is offline  
post #1787 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Newbie
 
MatrixD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the hope to find more information...

For those that have had the hard drive issue, what version of the firmware is your bd on?

Mine is BD.8.31.211.C - I wanted to keep this one because of the ability to playback .VOB files, but if a firmware update fixes it I can deal.
MatrixD is offline  
post #1788 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Member
 
JREwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter View Post

How does the 570 handle a MKV with 2 audio streams? What about DTS-MA does it downmix to DTS when in a MKV container? Anyone have any screenshots of how movies listed?

Thanks

I'm very interested in this as well. I plan on using MakeMKV to rip BD's with the lossless audio, and until I get a proper media streamer I was hoping to use the 570 to stream MKV's with downmixed lossy DTS or Dolby 5.1. Can anybody chime in on this?
JREwing is offline  
post #1789 of 6395 Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Member
 
togurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K. View Post

I've had no problem hooking 2 separate 2.5" Western Digital drives to my BD570. I have (accidentally) disconnected them with the blu ray power still on. I've had no data failures yet.

That being said, I strongly recommend you ensure power is turned off on the blu ray player before disconnecting the drive. That's a good practice with any USB device. Plus, keep you data backed up.

I've destroyed other USB devices on my computer due to bad drives or bad USB cables. I had a Western Digital USB cable that shorted out and destroy the USB card in the computer. I think we'd need A LOT more data before we could rule that the BD5xx blu ray players have inherent USB problems.

Cool, thanks for the info. I was planning on testing it with an external hdd I have, but it has a bunch of pictures on it that I want to keep, so I'll just wait to get one just for the purpose of storing movies. I'm glad it's not an issue everyone has. Plus, I just got it hooked up and the streaming actually works pretty great, so if I set it up right, I may not even need an external drive to hook up to it.
togurt is offline  
post #1790 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
APorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JREwing View Post

I'm very interested in this as well. I plan on using MakeMKV to rip BD's with the lossless audio, and until I get a proper media streamer I was hoping to use the 570 to stream MKV's with downmixed lossy DTS or Dolby 5.1. Can anybody chime in on this?

You will need to rip the DTS and AC3 track as well. Also, the 570 will play the first audio track so make sure the AC3 track is first and True HD second. The same for DTS and DTS-HD. I'm not sure how MakeMKV does it but with MKVMerge you can select which track is first.
APorter is offline  
post #1791 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Member
 
gordita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter View Post

You will need to rip the DTS and AC3 track as well. Also, the 570 will play the first audio track so make sure the AC3 track is first and True HD second. The same for DTS and DTS-HD. I'm not sure how MakeMKV does it but with MKVMerge you can select which track is first.

I'm in the same boat!
looking at ripping my existing blu ray collection to mkv's and dumping the mkv's to my NAS box.

#1) can I create a mkv from a blu ray disc which has 720p video and 5.1 audio?
my plasma only does 720p and my HT receiver can do 5.1 only so why rip a blu ray at full quality if it cannot be displayed on my tv.
so is this possible to do? if yes, are there any good tutorials? we are strictly a mac household and all I have at home is a 2010 mbp and an external blu ray drive.

if yes, the main question is, can this bd570 take this mkv file from my synology NAS and stream it to my tv with a 100Mbps ethernet wired connection?
assuming the mkv is a good 10-15GB in size (guessing), will the LG stutter?

any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gordita is offline  
post #1792 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Newbie
 
Robin Casady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there is a difference in DVD upscaling between the BD570 and the BD590? Also, how do they compare to the BD390?
Robin Casady is offline  
post #1793 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
jet757f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After going through the frustration of trying to use an external hard drive (FAT32) with the PS3 and finally giving up I have been reading about the LG players. It seems like the LG BD390 will definitely work with an external hard drive and NTFS files but my question is will the LG BD570 or BD590 work with NTFS files on an external hard drive?
jet757f is offline  
post #1794 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Casady View Post

Does anyone know if there is a difference in DVD upscaling between the BD570 and the BD590? Also, how do they compare to the BD390?

None

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1795 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

After going through the frustration of trying to use an external hard drive (FAT32) with the PS3 and finally giving up I have been reading about the LG players. It seems like the LG BD390 will definitely work with an external hard drive and NTFS files but my question is will the LG BD570 or BD590 work with NTFS files on an external hard drive?


Yes they are the same minus int hd

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1796 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
jet757f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cado007 View Post

Yes they are the same minus int hd

So you are saying the LG BD570 and 590 will both work with NTFS files on an external hard drive?
jet757f is offline  
post #1797 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyPoutine View Post

Hi Cado007,
How exactly do we "make an adaptor with only the Green and White (Data path)"?
Does this require modifying an existing USB cable? If so, how do we remove the Red/Ground paths?
Thanks

You can do that by a modification on a cable that you insert in between...

But from my point of view, my research and my experience there is NO REAL REAR to connect a USB device to a BD.

JUST REMOVE THE POWER ON EXTERNAL USB ENCLOSURE AND POWER OFF THE BD before pluging or unplugging anything in the USB port, same for a computer.





Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
post #1798 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Not a deal breaker. But besides that the upscaling is just fine. Add to that your TV will display whatever it is fed to its native resolution and the upscaling is pretty much meaningless.
Splicer010 is offline  
post #1799 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Member
 
Dave3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the LG BD570 and BD590 have a netflix search function?
Dave3000 is offline  
post #1800 of 6395 Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Member
 
cado007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

So you are saying the LG BD570 and 590 will both work with NTFS files on an external hard drive?

Yep

Best Regards :)
cado007 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off