Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 6395 Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eferrari View Post

Does anyone have any screenshots or comments to share about the user interface for selecting movies to view from a share drive? I have not been able to find a retail store that can demo this for me.

Why I ask: I have about 170 of my DVD's ripped on a shared drive. I have kids and replay movies often (like you would play music from itunes) on a computer connected tot he TV. I would like to get rid of the computer and use the LG as the 'movie jukebox'.

Is the interface responsive?
Is connecting to a shared drive quick enough to be a task you perform 2 or 3 times daily? (is it buried too deep? Does the LG have to search for the host every single time?)
Is it good at paging through large amounts of titles?

Thanks for any information.

I just installed the 590 and it is very responsive. I'm running Wi-Fi on both devices. Very happy and the Interface is very simple and faster in response than my U-Verse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6395 Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Here is some more information on trying to play external hard drive movies with the 570. A couple of years ago I was trying to do the same thing with the PS3.
This is the guide I used from the Home Theater Shack site. Using this guide I was able to put TV shows and movies on the external hard drive and it worked fairly well. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tup-tests.html

The problem was that this was very time consuming. Also since the FAT32 system had to be used everything was limited to 4GB.

So I stopped trying to do this with the PS3.

Now here I am today thinking that the 570 would be different and easier to use with an external hard drive. Im starting to think that things havent changed that much and it is the same as the PS3 on the type of files that would have to be used and converted or renamed. Im not even sure at this point of the NTFS file system will work with the 570 at this point which would alleviate the 4GB file size.

I hooked up the external drive with movies to the 570 that I had used with the PS3 and it works great...............but this gets me nowhere!!!

Now Im not sure if the 570 will make that much of a difference using the external hard drive over the PS3.

Has anyone found a way to backup DVDs onto an external drive using NTFS and get them to play on the 570 without any issues? If so how?
post #1893 of 6395 Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panter555 View Post

GizmoDVD you solved this problem, if yes, how?

I have almost the same problem on the newly purchased LG BD570.

Some movies (*.AVI only) gets jerky from the begining, viewing is nearly impossible. If you rewind a little bit forward, and then go back, then jerking stops. But some movies cant be viewed at all, because fast-forward and rewind blocked, and time-skiping also.

Previously, 4 year old DVD-player play same movies without any problem?
Is there any solutions?

sorry for my poor english)

Hi, I am return to issue written above. Does anyone watch DivX material on their players? Please write, can you watch AVI-files without any problems? For example, some jerking (looks like slow frame-rate, 10-15 fps) or rewind does not work at all? In my oppinion, it began after the last firmware update. Also, player has not be able anymore to play VOB-files (raw dvd data).

Some one know, how to reflash player back to older firmware? Or it is impossible?

Also, I called to the LG-support, I have not heard from them anything intelligible.
post #1894 of 6395 Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

I have gone through every thread and now more confused about which type of files need to used to backup movies and played on the 570.

I hooked up my external drive formatted in the NTFS and it picks it up fine.
I have a backup movie with video TS and audio TS file installed on the drive. It will not play which I didnt expect it would.

So my question is what is the best way to put movies on external drive? Which type of files should be used so they will play on the 570?

UPDATE: Well this is getting disappointing. I converted my movie to MKV files and put them on the external drive. The BD 570 tells me these files are not supported.
So what files will it support? Is it possible to put anything on the external hard drive and play it on the BD570? It is becoming useless in that respect.

Does anyone have some of the older Firmware updates that I could try?

MKV is supported by BD570. But there is important, what is inside MKV-file. I have also kind a problem, but so far every MKV is played, but AVI-files not played as it would.
post #1895 of 6395 Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

The problem was that this was very time consuming. Also since the FAT32 system had to be used everything was limited to 4GB.

The 570 and the 590 both support NTFS and read the drives quickly. They are quickly responsive. As to backing up DVDs, it depends on the format you intend to store your DVDs in. I have not tried storing DVDs as VIDEO_TS files, but MKVs work fine, if you are careful about the codecs.

The only disappointment I have had is that I had hoped to replace my WDTV Live, which is flexible enough that it plays practically everything without any conversion. Unfortunately, the LG players are relatively picky about the codecs used for files. I would love it to play TS files (I have a large collection of old HD-DVD files stored in this format), but it doesn't seem to do that.
post #1896 of 6395 Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post

The 570 and the 590 both support NTFS and read the drives quickly. They are quickly responsive. As to backing up DVDs, it depends on the format you intend to store your DVDs in. I have not tried storing DVDs as VIDEO_TS files, but MKVs work fine, if you are careful about the codecs.

The only disappointment I have had is that I had hoped to replace my WDTV Live, which is flexible enough that it plays practically everything without any conversion. Unfortunately, the LG players are relatively picky about the codecs used for files. I would love it to play TS files (I have a large collection of old HD-DVD files stored in this format), but it doesn't seem to do that.

I used Make MKV program and it wouldnt work. I have also tried DVD Shrink, AnyDVD and DVD Fab.

Are you saying that the WDTV Live does work without this hassle?

Unfortunately Im under the sad realization that it makes more sense just to install the movies onto my hard drive as ISO files using Image Burn and then streaming them to my TV from my computer using VLC player.
It just doesnt seem like they are going to make these media servers easy to use. Takes way too much time and labor.
post #1897 of 6395 Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM

Hey guys,

I just purchased the LG 570 and was wondering about xvidhd playback... I couldn't help but notice that every time I try and fast forward, it won't let me go beyond the first >. In other words, it fast forwards at the slowest possible speed. I tried a couple different avi files but I'm encountering the exact same problem. Is there anyway around this? I tried fast forwarding on both a USB stick and disc and had no luck. If i use a regular DVD movie I can fast forward no problem, it just happens when I try an xvid/divx! Help?

Thanks!
post #1898 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet213 View Post

Hey guys,

I just purchased the LG 570 and was wondering about xvidhd playback... I couldn't help but notice that every time I try and fast forward, it won't let me go beyond the first >. In other words, it fast forwards at the slowest possible speed. I tried a couple different avi files but I'm encountering the exact same problem. Is there anyway around this? I tried fast forwarding on both a USB stick and disc and had no luck. If i use a regular DVD movie I can fast forward no problem, it just happens when I try an xvid/divx! Help?

Thanks!

I have exactly same problem, but also on regular xvid/divx (not hd). I write about it above in this threed... No help so far...

P.S. If this problem does not disappear with next firmware upgrade, I return whole unit back to the store, becouse this is really annoying..
post #1899 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Liked: 32
I'd like to help but I can not, sorry. But you better hope really hard for a FW update because they don't come out every week if you are going to return it.
post #1900 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Same problem here guys it likes some particular formats/codecs and it does not like some while doing the FWD or Search option
LG customer support pointed me to manual saying the following formats are supported no meaningful info because if the file plays it is supported why not FWD/Search.
post #1901 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM

So I guess I'm not the only one with this issue? Yeah it really does suck.....If you have a 2 hour movie, I certainly am not gonna wait for the frame by frame fast forward to reach a point half way in the movie. I did alot of research on this player and found it to be highly rated in the important aspects but I guess i assumed something as simple as fast forwarding wouldn't be an issue.

Looks like I'll be returning this for a PS3 slim.
post #1902 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Does pressing the "search" button on the remote work when playing those files? If it does, it might be a better way to get to a specific point.
post #1903 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Nope... I tried that as well. It gives me that little red circle at the top when I push it. None of the search, or "fast" forward options work when viewing an avi file. Once i pop in a regular dvd, all those features work well.
post #1904 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A few years ago when using TVersity through my DVR I experienced the same issue so I know what a pain it is. If for some reason we had to get back to the middle of the movie I had to hit ff x1 and just walk away for 30 minutes. I eventually gave up on TVersitey through my DVR for this reason.

I was hoping the LG would make streaming movies from my PC as easy as streaming them through my xbox. First I heard of this issue with the LG.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #1905 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet213 View Post

Nope... I tried that as well. It gives me that little red circle at the top when I push it. None of the search, or "fast" forward options work when viewing an avi file. Once i pop in a regular dvd, all those features work well.

Don't know, maybe it is coincidence, but seems that problems began only, when movie size exceed 2GB.

piglet213, can you try any movie, that less than 2 GB?
post #1906 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

I have tried all sizes from 700MB - 8GB there is no pattern. It does not seem to like some kind of codecs or the indexing they use.
post #1907 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Has anyone had problems with network shares disappearing after updating to the latest firmware? I'm running 288c (eu model)...
Thanks
post #1908 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM

I've discovered I can't use fast forward or rewind when I play a vob file so I'm going to have to change my movies to another format. I've used handbrake to change one movie to mkv and it worked great, took forever, but worked great and ffw and rew worked just find. I'm going to just batch-convert my vob files using handbrake. What I'm wondering is, should I convert them to mkv or mp4? I want these files to work on this player, but also able to work using other media streamers in the future. Anyone have any opinion on what would be best?
post #1909 of 6395 Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 PM

The internal drive is formatted in ext3. it actually has 3 partitions on it: a 180MB for temporary firmware storage, a 2GB for BD-Live storage and a 246GB for media.
If you remove the drive and attempt to read it, you won't get anywhere as it has an ATA user password on it. This is also the reason people reported it "killing" drives they tried to install. As soon as you install a drive and it asks to format it, it will lock it to the unit. I have a feeling each unit sets a unique password as well.
The way around this is to allow the drive to spin-up while installed in the BD590 and then with the power still on pull the SATA cable. Attach the still running drive to a PC and boot from UBCD. Use the ATAPWD program to "Set User Password" and then "Disable User Password". You can then remove the drive and freely browse the files in Linux.
If you reinstall the now unlocked drive in the BD590, it still works fine.

This isn't for the faint of heart. If you don't know what you're doing, don't try this! UBCD is easily found on the web along with instructions about using ATAPWD.

I have tried a few different drives in the unit. First off was a 500GB laptop drive which worked great. Then I tried a 7200rpm 1TB desktop drive. The unit will shut down as soon as it tries to spin it up. Too much power draw. I'm now using a WD "green" low power 1TB drive and it works great.

Just installing a new drive is a cake walk if you don't need to transfer the media from the old drive. Use a PC to remove all existing partitions, mount it, plug it in, turn it on, choose "Movie", and it will ask to format the new drive.
LL
LL
LL
post #1910 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh928 View Post

This isn't for the faint of heart. If you don't know what you're doing, don't try this! UBCD is easily found on the web along with instructions about using ATAPWD.

How about a how to Video on YouTube?

There probable will never be a much easier way to do this since there are not enough of these units out there for hackers to bother messing with to create an "early TIVO" like HD upgrade path.

post #1911 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsreddy View Post

Same problem here guys it likes some particular formats/codecs and it does not like some while doing the FWD or Search option
LG customer support pointed me to manual saying the following formats are supported no meaningful info because if the file plays it is supported why not FWD/Search.

You can skip scenes by time. Click info and change the time set to play.
post #1912 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM

I asked a question above and have since bought a BDB590 and wanted to share my experiences with Home Link.

I connect Home Link to my Apple Time Capsule. It was very easy to enter a username and password for the file share there. Getting into the Home Link is quick and it remembers that last share you were in and returns there each time. Which makes it very easy if you have a library you return to each time.

I have around 200 mpeg4 movies and the interface is very nice for large amounts of files. You can change the view to show the movies in a grid with 6 rows that scrolls left to right. This makes getting to movies starting with the letter 'M' very easy. Getting to 'Z' is even easier since you can go left and it will wrap around to the end. Scrolling is very responsive and holding down a left or right button accelerates the scrolling.

I ripped my movies using Handbrake using the Apple presets. the BD590 ignored the m4v file extension but I renamed the files to .mp4 and they play fine.

I only lost one thing with the BD590: My files were ripped with Chapter information in them and the BD590 does not seem to recognize that. So I am limited to using the fast forward/reverse functions which work fine. (at all speeds) Other than that, I am very happy with the Home Link interface.
post #1913 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Tried that also doe snot seem to work.
Basically FFW,Search and Time skip are all related looks like.
post #1914 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Avi FFW and REW issue.

I tried hard and discovered, that avi becomes usable, after transfering through "Virtual Dub Mod". If there is two audio stream -only one is allowed (I tried with two - does not work). In the video tab - "Direct stream copy". Then "Save as" and choose "AVI". Be sure to check option "Save AVI in old 1.0 (VfW 1.1e) format (Compatibility mode)". Whole "reencoding" take about 3-4 minute. And no loss of quality.

After that - search, time skip, ffw & rew is working! Tested on 3 movie with positive result. And of course this is a temporary solution, I hope LG fix this soon.
post #1915 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks a lot man will surely try this out with the Virtual Dub Mod.
post #1916 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togurt View Post

Cool, thanks for the info. I was planning on testing it with an external hdd I have, but it has a bunch of pictures on it that I want to keep, so I'll just wait to get one just for the purpose of storing movies. I'm glad it's not an issue everyone has. Plus, I just got it hooked up and the streaming actually works pretty great, so if I set it up right, I may not even need an external drive to hook up to it.

Any update on this issue? I fried a 2.5" external drive the same way. I couldn't believe the BD570 was able to corrupt the drive beyond recovery, where even low-level formatting fails, or that LG wouldn't release a fix urgently.

I wonder if the problem is only on drives with an NTFS partition (mine had both FAT32 and NTFS partitions)?
post #1917 of 6395 Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM

I just got the LG570C and it works fine. Does anybody know if I can play VCD as well ?
post #1918 of 6395 Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwink View Post

I just got the LG570C and it works fine. Does anybody know if I can play VCD as well ?

I finally had to screw around with a movie on my old Sony a bit too much to get yet another BD to play so it is getting the boot.

I just got my LG590 yesterday and I still need to crack the box. I am dreading attacking the entertainment center "Spaghetti Wire Monster" - just looking at it may kill me... then after slaying the monster its on to setting up my universal remote - a long and dangerous journey ahead.

I hope to get it going buy the end of the upcoming weekend and everything works perfectly! If not, I'll be posting here.

post #1919 of 6395 Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Hello All,

I recently bought a LG BD 570.
It is wired connected.

MAIN VER: BD.8.31.208.C
SERVO VER: H80591 (H08SAN)

The player can't display large jpg pictures (12MPixels - 5 to 6 MB) taken with my new digital camera.

It can preview in small but when I select the photo, a question mark is displayed.

Do someone of you have the same problem?

I wrote a note to LG but no response.

The automatic update says the version is the more recent available BD.8.31.208.C while on the LG site the last version available is BD.8.31.288.C from august 4 2010.

Thank you in advance

Philippe
post #1920 of 6395 Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou1977 View Post

Hello All,

I recently bought a LG BD 570.
It is wired connected.

MAIN VER: BD.8.31.208.C
SERVO VER: H80591 (H08SAN)

The player can't display large jpg pictures (12MPixels - 5 to 6 MB) taken with my new digital camera.

It can preview in small but when I select the photo, a question mark is displayed.

Do someone of you have the same problem?

I wrote a note to LG but no response.

The automatic update says the version is the more recent available BD.8.31.208.C while on the LG site the last version available is BD.8.31.288.C from august 4 2010.

Thank you in advance

Philippe

I also experienced this issue with some of my .jpg's. It seems to display all the jpg's I took with my camera fine but I have a bunch that were scanned images of some professional photos my wife had done for my son. When I scanned them I used the highest possible resolution. When I try to play them on my BD570 it takes a lot longer for it to render the thumb nail and then when it displays the image it either shows a question mark or it displays the image but it is distorted.

I'm chalking this up to another thing that makes this player inferior to my WDTV HD Live Plus and my Asus OplayAir. When it comes to streaming video, photos and music, both players are much better.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd550 Network Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page